• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #30 - @ Wright State 2/24 6:30 PM CST

Started by VULB#62, February 24, 2017, 09:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

One of the best, most memorable conference wins in a long time.

Hey, I know... let's speculate about random players transferring.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: a3uge on February 24, 2017, 10:07:50 PM

Glad you can read.  Even more glad to upset your highness 🤡

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on February 24, 2017, 10:07:50 PMOne of the best, most memorable conference wins in a long time.
Short handed wins always carry a different level of satisfaction. At Missouri St without Jubril and Max was great, but tonight without Jubril and Alec was even better.

WSU has a better RPI vs last year and yet this year we swept them. The fist time we beat them we were short 6 of 9 starters from last season. Tonight we were without 7 of those 9. Predicting basketball is just impossible  ???

VULB#62

i hate to bring up the Patriots, but they are kind of successful, and they adhere to a game-by-game approach. Belechick brings in players who see the big picture and can deal with starting one game and only seeing a few snaps the next. He gets guys who buy into the TEAM concept. I sorta see Matt doing the same thing. Micah, I think, has been briefed on it. He is young and maybe pouting a bit, but I think he's on board. He certainly has a model in Alec.

govalpogo

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 24, 2017, 09:00:01 PM
Yes this board, like many others, can and is pessimistic. And I am one of the most guilty of that.  That comes from putting the fan in fanatic and living and dying (at least as much as is healthy) with the team that I love. But thanks for stopping by and letting us know how much we disappoint you.

Look, I take your meaning.  I really do.  I remember yelling at Cory Johnson in 2011 while he was taking free throws in the last minute of a home loss to a garbage Loyola team, insisting that he call a team meeting to regroup and rally the troops...they did not rally. What an awful end to that season.  I've let my heart bleed more brown and gold than I care to admit, even tonight dying when it seemed Wright St would never miss a 3.  And yes, I too have serious doubts about the longevity of the team's success without Peters.  So, I guess reflecting further it's not just pessimism so much that's been disheartening. 

I've sensed almost a nastiness recently in this community that I care about and have participated in for the last decade.  The cost of success along with increased trolling perhaps?  I don't know.  Inciting comments like your last line above are small examples (My bad, I did take a jab. Apologies if taken offensively.).  But other comments that are wild speculation with really ugly fallout discussions around topics like the Jubril situation, displeasure from the Peters family, Micah perhaps sulking on the bench, and that sort of thing just aren't positive or productive ways for me to spend my mental free time.  Again, I get it...there's been a lot of extracurricular !#@$ this year that has: really. sucked.  But I'm at a point in my life in which sports need to be a source of getaway, not more stress and ugliness.  So, yes, I will be tempted to rely on Paul Oren's awesome podcast and informative twitter feed rather than the major ups and downs of a message board.  That's all I'm really trying to say. It's my issue and I'll deal with it.

I love mid major basketball and it's "hoping on hope" mentality.  I love tracking stats and standings.  I love watching the recruiting buzz. I love the character of my alma mater and how it shows through the teams we put on the floor each year.

All this to say that I will still stop by to support the team and revel in the magic of mid major basketball.  I suppose if I feel the board is too pessimistic, then I will take my place as a guarded optimist. 

I don't mean to ruffle too many feathers, but like many may say in response to me, fan forums are a place for fanatics to express opinions...well this is mine.  Thanks for reading.

VULB#62

Quote from: govalpogo on February 24, 2017, 10:40:51 PM
Yes this board, like many others, can and is pessimistic. And I am one of the most guilty of that.  That comes from putting the fan in fanatic and living and dying (at least as much as is healthy) with the team that I love. But thanks for stopping by and letting us know how much we disappoint you.

Look, I take your meaning.  I really do.  I remember yelling at Cory Johnson in 2011 while he was taking free throws in the last minute of a home loss to a garbage Loyola team, insisting that he call a team meeting to regroup and rally the troops...they did not rally. What an awful end to that season.  I've let my heart bleed more brown and gold than I care to admit, even tonight dying when it seemed Wright St would never miss a 3.  And yes, I too have serious doubts about the longevity of the team's success without Peters.  So, I guess reflecting further it's not just pessimism so much that's been disheartening. 

I've sensed almost a nastiness recently in this community that I care about and have participated in for the last decade.  The cost of success along with increased trolling perhaps?  I don't know.  Inciting comments like your last line above are small examples (My bad, I did take a jab. Apologies if taken offensively.).  But other comments that are wild speculation with really ugly fallout discussions around topics like the Jubril situation, displeasure from the Peters family, Micah perhaps sulking on the bench, and that sort of thing just aren't positive or productive ways for me to spend my mental free time.  Again, I get it...there's been a lot of extracurricular !#@$ this year that has: really. sucked.  But I'm at a point in my life in which sports need to be a source of getaway, not more stress and ugliness.  So, yes, I will be tempted to rely on Paul Oren's awesome podcast and informative twitter feed rather than the major ups and downs of a message board.  That's all I'm really trying to say. It's my issue and I'll deal with it.

I love mid major basketball and it's "hoping on hope" mentality.  I love tracking stats and standings.  I love watching the recruiting buzz. I love the character of my alma mater and how it shows through the teams we put on the floor each year.

All this to say that I will still stop by to support the team and revel in the magic of mid major basketball.  I suppose if I feel the board is too pessimistic, then I will take my place as a guarded optimist. 

I don't mean to ruffle too many feathers, but like many may say in response to me, fan forums are a place for fanatics to express opinions...well this is mine.  Thanks for reading.

Just don't bail on us.   :)

vu72

Well, I had to miss the game and just finished watching on replay.  Our All-American is out and we win by 10?  Unbelievable!!  Great shooting and hope for the future!  Sure as heck hope Alec will be back soon.  Wonder if Coach wants to risk the 1 seed for Ale to be fully healthy going into the tourney.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 24, 2017, 09:01:22 PM
Anybody else see Bradford sulking on the bench during timeouts.  Is he engaged with the team? 

Purely speculation, but I'm calling he's a transfer risk.
[/b]

Well, in today's AAU world mentality, do you think, adding a stud like Evelyn plus returning Lexus, Tevonn and Max, that playing time might b getting limited? I hope not...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

chef

Anybody else see Bradford sulking on the bench during timeouts.  Is he engaged with the team? 

Bradford is as much a transfer risk as I am.
Both of us share a love for Valpo basketball.

JPEven

Quote from: vu72 on February 24, 2017, 11:33:40 PM

[/b]

Well, in today's AAU world mentality, do you think, adding a stud like Evelyn plus returning Lexus, Tevonn and Max, that playing time might b getting limited? I hope not...

One of the things to realize is that a team that has had the likes of Nickerson, Skara, Hammink, etc, we are used to a bigger line up.  That's not a bad thing, but neither is a more pure 3 guard look especially in the HL.  I was trying to find minutes for those guys all in my head in 2 spots (plus this potential new Juco transfer), but the reality is you are probably looking at most of 3 spots (given next year's inexperience at the small forward position).  Still, if Lexus and Bakari are both true point guards, and Lexus can find tonights form (so far sometimes) and Bakari lives up to his 3 stars (hopefully, but still yet to be proven), I'm also mentally trying to find minutes for Bradford.  Glad those more in the know seem to think he is in on VU.  I also don't know about sulking, but it's reasonable to wonder about the dudes minutes given all this, albeit a bit of downer after a good win. 

The other side of the equation is NO ONE had a game pencilled in for "it'll be a close game and you will see 30 total minutes from Davidson and Kiser" at the start of the year.  Ya never know what opportunity will show up before Bradford next year.... having three reasonable point guard options is a luxury I can't remember...

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: chef on February 25, 2017, 01:23:10 AM

Bradford is as much a transfer risk as I am.
Both of us share a love for Valpo basketball.

Very glad to hear that.  He's a little raw but he has excellent speed and potential.  I like his upside.

I appreciate the replies, that was the goal of my post.  He, like Derrick, show frustration at times and one can't help but wonder.  The key here is they are both young and learning how to handle themselves.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 24, 2017, 10:47:19 PM
Quote from: govalpogo on February 24, 2017, 10:40:51 PM

Just don't bail on us.   :)

Thoughtful writing and appreciated.  I think we all come here for different reasons so the diversity of opinion runs rampant.  Personally, I'm a little more critical than rah rah and I hope your positivity helps ground a fan such as myself.

Think some of us build poor outcomes for the team in our head and are elated when proven wrong.

Thanks for your fandom!  VU isn't so big to lose good fans such as yourself.

valpo84

WSU was doing a good job on ball denial to the posts, concerned about the size advantage with Sorolla. They also were doubling him and he kicked out a few times instead of forcing it.  So wasn't as concerned.  Although he seemed passive til someone ripped the headband off and I thought we might get a little LeBron sans headband game.  Smits stayed out of foul trouble and seems more comfortable in a smaller game.  When he scores more than his number of fouls it's a positive!
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on February 24, 2017, 10:07:50 PM

Very snarky, not very pleasant. Again, it's just an opinion.

An opinion I don't agree with. I think much of the attitude you see Bradford display on the bench is mostly disappointment in his own play. He knows what is required of himself through the coaching and he puts pressure on himself to fulfill those expectations.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpopal on February 24, 2017, 07:01:07 PM
Alec has been hammered this season and been playing injured since the Green Bay game, which adds more light to this comment by his father a couple of weeks ago.

[tweet]830652515968548864[/tweet]

While we're still in a salty mood, I also remember how Turner Botz got whistled for absolutely nothing on that play.  Max Joseph committed the same foul in the 2nd half and they called it.  I turned to the older Green Bay fan couple behind me and pointed out that Botz should have been whistled for the same thing, and they both agreed.