• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #31 - @ Northern Kentucky Sunday Feb 26 1pm for the top seed

Started by talksalot, February 24, 2017, 10:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

It's ours for the taking.  Great team win Friday.  One more time!

M

crusaderjoe

Drew, Skara, Carter, Adekoya, Peters.  If this team wins the League this year it will be another Lutheran Miracle.

Fantastic, gutsy effort against Wright State.  Let's not waste it and win this thing, not only for the Seniors, but for the entire group of players and coaches.

covufan

This team has really come together - coaches and players. We continue the run from the last 15 minutes against Wright State and win the HL!

Valpo  78
NKU    70

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

talksalot

bbtds

Valpo 102
NKU   100   OT

Alec Peters comes in during the end of OT to hit a three that wins the game. He struggles to move on the court which lures the Norse into a false sense that they don't have to guard Peters as closely.

VULB#62

You forgot to mention that part of this scenario involved the walking boot he was wearing when he reported to the scorer's table.   ;D

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

I wouldn't take any unnecessary risks with Alec and without him it is difficult to predict a win. We may also have to play them again 2 games hence so is an all or nothing strategy appropriate?

Also there is still a small chance to lose today and still be one of the last teams to make the NIT field if we were to somehow lose in the championship round.  :-X   I know. Lots of negative waves in that sentence.

NativeCheesehead

Win a top 2 seed locked up, would be pretty irresponsible to put AP out there today anyway. Would sure like to end up on opposite side of the bracket as Green Bay, however.

HailVU2014

Quote from: justducky on February 26, 2017, 10:49:28 AM
Also there is still a small chance to lose today and still be one of the last teams to make the NIT field if we were to somehow lose in the championship round. 

Serious Question to the Board: Does an NIT berth mean anything to anyone at this point? My personal thought is been there, done that.  While the auto-NIT bid would be nice for the rookie coach and younger players, the team is hungry for more than that.

With that being said, Alec being out today is no surprise. We could play for the auto-NIT berth, winning the HL outright, and the #1 seed in Detroit, but we're still going to have to win 3 tough games in Detroit, so why give him more pain and risk worse injury for what is not much gain? This game is house money in my book and we see if the team can repeat Friday's performance. If they do repeat Friday's effort today, that mental motivation and momentum will be bigger than any seed line or win streak going into March. And if they don't, well at least, Alec is healing up a bit for the March stretch run and we have some good reps with the team without Alec on the floor. Go Valpo!

M

An NIT bid is a nice security blanket to have. Valpo would get to host another game I assume. Those games were a lot of fun last year. With all that has happened this season an NIT bid wouldn't be the end of the world.

M

Would winning today be more shocking then the win Friday? No AP was a surprise to everyone Friday but today a good NKU team has had a chance to prepare for a Peters-less Valpo squad.

VUOR63

I saw the Matt Lottich introduction before Alec Peters' Senior Day speech about the "legacy" he wanted to leave.  The team stepping up and winning without him on the court is (in my opinion) an indication that Valpo basketball is being left with a unique culture that very few other programs have.  We'll see if they can win today but, frankly, it doesn't matter because this season is NCAA tournament or bust.

elephtheria47

Peters/family mentioned the added beating and minutes Alec takes without JA being out there....at least he is getting some time to rest and heal up before tournament time. Lets do this today fellas.

EddieCabot

Quote from: HailVU2014 on February 26, 2017, 11:43:50 AM
Serious Question to the Board: Does an NIT berth mean anything to anyone at this point? My personal thought is been there, done that.  While the auto-NIT bid would be nice for the rookie coach and younger players, the team is hungry for more than that.

With the recent national success Valpo has achieved, I agree that an NIT bid doesn't mean much.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 26, 2017, 12:55:38 PM
It's Valpa-f&@$ing-ray-so you hack!

They are doing a very decent job as commentators...but he pronounces Sorolla like a hick yet he pronounces Valparaiso like a Chilean.  Reaaaally backwards.

VULB#62

Kiser getting lotsa minutes.  He's a lunch bucket kid.  Plays all out every minute.

BrownTown

I guess we're not calling travels on the home team today.  Three obvious travels, 8 points after no-calls.

NativeCheesehead

Regardless of he outcome, two outstanding effort games from this team over the weekend. Assuming AP can be somewhere close to 100% in the tourney we have as good a chance as any.