• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #31 - @ Northern Kentucky Sunday Feb 26 1pm for the top seed

Started by talksalot, February 24, 2017, 10:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpo89

I sent a twitter message to Aaron Leavitt prior to halftime. Aaron was sitting about 2-3 spots away from the guy doing color commentary.
I guess Aaron didn't have time to go correct the guy, or if he did, the guy didn't listen.
Good emails though. Nice of them to respond.

valpolaw

Classy responses from them.  I have been impressed with NKU and their team.  They have a bright future. 

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on February 26, 2017, 11:41:29 PM
I for one, (I need to calm down on this--perhaps something I could give up for Lent-) I find announcers who can't bother to perfect the name ValparAso,very gritting.  I just sent an email to to the AD of NKU protesting my damaged ears.  I'll let you know if an answer surfaces...

Must be as aggravating as being the best player on the team, having the first name Alec and having your own fan base call you "Alex."   ;D

BigDFromUIC

"It's Valpa-f&@$ing-ray-so you hack!"

ValporAso, ValporIso...

Lighten up Francis...

VU2624

It IS pretty remarkable that an announcer for any NCAA basketball game would not know the proper pronunciation of Valparaiso basketball.

NativeCheesehead

You're absolutly right Big D. Because no one from your school has been on here correcting us about names.  ;D

BigDFromUIC

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.  I had to cringe during the UIC/NKU game because they were talking about the league and mispronounced your name then as well.  At least you got some response and it sounds like the issue will be remedied.

So maybe you feel a little of our pain over at UIC.  Slightly different issue, but the same root cause...people not taking 5 minutes to figure out how to refer to the schools and players they're going to be talking about for the next 2 hours.  Within the league especially, it drives me crazy.

valpotx

I am impressed that the NKU administration replied as politely as they did.  To be honest, Vu72, you can definitely feel your anger in your email, and it comes off with a good bit of a snooty/condescending vibe.  I could have just as easily replied back to your email with something like the below, because I enjoy being a smart a$$:

Thank you for the correction.  We very much appreciated having the #1 team in the conference play in our facility, and were ecstatic to come away with the victory to make you the #2 team in the conference ;).
"Don't mess with Texas"

NativeCheesehead

Darn right they should keep us happy. Over the past couple of years we've clearly shown how much pull we have with the conference and NCAA.  :-[

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpolaw on February 27, 2017, 09:56:05 AM
Classy responses from them.  I have been impressed with NKU and their team.  They have a bright future. 
I was very impressed with their arena too.  The fans I sat with were knowledgeable about Valpo's team.  The guy next to me recognized what I was saying when I pointed out to him that although it continues to amaze me how often the home run play works, in this game our usual "QB" on that play was not in there (AP).

EddieCabot

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 28, 2017, 08:06:01 PM
Quote from: valpolaw on February 27, 2017, 09:56:05 AM
I was very impressed with their arena too.  The fans I sat with were knowledgeable about Valpo's team.  The guy next to me recognized what I was saying when I pointed out to him that although it continues to amaze me how often the home run play works, in this game our usual "QB" on that play was not in there (AP).

I've heard the arena is nice.  Noticed that Cincinnati will be playing home game there next year while their arena is being renovated.

VUBBFan

For all the bashing we do about the quality of the HL teams. NKU looks to be a good addition. Don't know who they have signed up for next year but they have some good looking young guys. They should be more than just decent in the coming years.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUBBFan on March 01, 2017, 01:04:33 AM
For all the bashing we do about the quality of the HL teams. NKU looks to be a good addition. Don't know who they have signed up for next year but they have some good looking young guys. They should be more than just decent in the coming years.

Verbal Commits shows a good signing of 2.7* Center coming as a freshmen for them.  They only graduate (1) senior.

valpo64

With respect to pronouncing school names, players' names, etc. The press row people normally receive a media guide, at least they get one at Valpo home games.  The multitude of info contained therein includes the phonetic spelling and correct pronunciation of players' names so there is no excuse for any media not pronouncing names correctly.  Come on NKU...the HL isn't Div. 2 or 3.  On second thought, at times I wonder.

bbtds

Quote from: BigDFromUIC on February 27, 2017, 11:32:36 AM
"It's Valpa-f&@$ing-ray-so you hack!"

ValporAso, ValporIso...

Lighten up Francis...

OK, BigDFromIllinoisChicago