• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Regular Season in Review

Started by NativeCheesehead, February 26, 2017, 05:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NativeCheesehead

So since we have a few days to digest the season before Motor City Madness (barf), I thought i'd get the topic rolling with some grades for debate. Feel free to skewer me in every way possible.

Grades are in relation to expectation.

Team: A- 
Considering the adversity this team faced, couldn't ask for much more. 3 large losses in conference only reason this isn't a straight A.

Coaching Staff: B+
It's hard to evaluate a (mostly) new staff in year one. Overall did very well in holding the team together in tough circumstances. Lottich's sample size is still too small to really get a sense of how good of an in game coach he is, though Kampe coached circles around him in their two meetings. Big men didn't develop at all, but in fairness weren't expected to contribute much anyway before JAs suspension. This will be one of the more important off seasons in Valpo history in terms of setting the table for the next 3 years, but we'll talk about that in the offseason.

Alec Peters: A+
No comments needed

Shane Hammink A-
Took the steps forward that we needed to fill the void. With the exception of a truly careless turnover here and there, has given the team exactly what they needed.

Tevonn Walker: B+
Was going to get an A until the last two games. "But he played so well in the last two games." Exactly. This is what TWalk is capable of night in and night out. He had a tendency to disappear for stretches of games. Really improved all aspects of his shooting as the season progressed. The best rebounding guard we've had in a long time. When he's on, he's a game changer.

Micah Bradford: C+
Shows flashes of real scoring ability, and really liked his renewed aggressiveness in the last two. Lacked consistency all year, and 30 games in, "but he's a freshmen" doesn't cut it any more. Expecting big things for this kid.

Lexus Williams: B-
Played his best ball early in the season and the last few games. My guess is the first full season in three years for him was difficult to figure out his body and how it would respond. His play in the tourney is key. 

Max Joseph: B
Another player who stepped up big time when AP went down. Overall a key piece to the little depth that we have. Doesn't do anything really well but doesn't do anything poorly either. Would like to see him go to the hoop more instead of settling for jumpers.

Jaume Sorolla: C-
I'll give him a little bit of a pass because of the adaptation to a whole new style of game across the pond. But that doesn't change my disappointment at how he really struggled at times. When we needed him most late in the year he was nowhere to be found. Still very high on his future, but his present is forgettable. Hoping for a Vashil like career arc.

Derrik Smits: D
The "Ali Berdiel Award" winner for 16-17, which goes to the player that makes me want to throw my remote at the TV the most times during a season. I try to remind myself that he missed all last year injured and didn't even do much in the summer while he was healing up, but good lord this kid can be painful to watch. I don't need to go into the physical issues here since they've been much discussed on this board, but his complete lack of mental toughness drive me insane. STOP LOOKING AT THE REF AND COMPLAINING ABOUT EVERY SINGLE FOUL CALLED AGAINST YOU! Until he gets an attitude on the court I don't see much improvement or many minutes for him down the road.

Nick Davidson: A
Outside of too many shots early in the NKU game, played more minutes than expected and didn't hurt you a bit. Wish Derrik had has attitude and hustle.

John Kiser: A
Again, was needed more than we thought, yet handled himself very well, especially in the last two games. Could be a good depth guy going forward.

Jason Karys: A+
Because reasons.

CLS: A++
Has student section chanting for him more than anyone.

Jubril Adekoya: INC
Fairness of rulings aside, really hurt the team with his poor decision making. If we either A) fail to make the NCAA tourney or B) Make it and lose by less than 10, we will always ask "What If?" 

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 26, 2017, 05:12:29 PM
So since we have a few days to digest the season before Motor City Madness (barf), I thought i'd get the topic rolling with some grades for debate. Feel free to skewer me in every way possible.

Grades are in relation to expectation.

Considering the adversity this team faced, couldn't ask for much more. 3 large losses in conference only reason this isn't a straight A.

Coaching Staff: B+
It's hard to evaluate a (mostly) new staff in year one. Overall did very well in holding the team together in tough circumstances. Lottich's sample size is still too small to really get a sense of how good of an in game coach he is, though Kampe coached circles around him in their two meetings. Big men didn't develop at all, but in fairness weren't expected to contribute much anyway before JAs suspension. This will be one of the more important off seasons in Valpo history in terms of setting the table for the next 3 years, but we'll talk about that in the offseason.

Alec Peters: A+
No comments needed

Shane Hammink A-
Took the steps forward that we needed to fill the void. With the exception of a truly careless turnover here and there, has given the team exactly what they needed.

Tevonn Walker: B+
Was going to get an A until the last two games. "But he played so well in the last two games." Exactly. This is what TWalk is capable of night in and night out. He had a tendency to disappear for stretches of games. Really improved all aspects of his shooting as the season progressed. The best rebounding guard we've had in a long time. When he's on, he's a game changer.

Micah Bradford: C+
Shows flashes of real scoring ability, and really liked his renewed aggressiveness in the last two. Lacked consistency all year, and 30 games in, "but he's a freshmen" doesn't cut it any more. Expecting big things for this kid.

Lexus Williams: B-
Played his best ball early in the season and the last few games. My guess is the first full season in three years for him was difficult to figure out his body and how it would respond. His play in the tourney is key. 

Max Joseph: B
Another player who stepped up big time when AP went down. Overall a key piece to the little depth that we have. Doesn't do anything really well but doesn't do anything poorly either. Would like to see him go to the hoop more instead of settling for jumpers.

Jaume Sorolla: C-
I'll give him a little bit of a pass because of the adaptation to a whole new style of game across the pond. But that doesn't change my disappointment at how he really struggled at times. When we needed him most late in the year he was nowhere to be found. Still very high on his future, but his present is forgettable. Hoping for a Vashil like career arc.

Derrik Smits: D
The "Ali Berdiel Award" winner for 16-17, which goes to the player that makes me want to throw my remote at the TV the most times during a season. I try to remind myself that he missed all last year injured and didn't even do much in the summer while he was healing up, but good lord this kid can be painful to watch. I don't need to go into the physical issues here since they've been much discussed on this board, but his complete lack of mental toughness drive me insane. STOP LOOKING AT THE REF AND COMPLAINING ABOUT EVERY SINGLE FOUL CALLED AGAINST YOU! Until he gets an attitude on the court I don't see much improvement or many minutes for him down the road.

Nick Davidson: A
Outside of too many shots early in the NKU game, played more minutes than expected and didn't hurt you a bit. Wish Derrik had has attitude and hustle.

John Kiser: A
Again, was needed more than we thought, yet handled himself very well, especially in the last two games. Could be a good depth guy going forward.

Jason Karys: A+
Because reasons.

CLS: A++
Has student section chanting for him more than anyone.

Jubril Adekoya: INC
Fairness of rulings aside, really hurt the team with his poor decision making. If we either A) fail to make the NCAA tourney or B) Make it and lose by less than 10, we will always ask "What If?"

Solid grading I can get behind.  I give Jubril (F).

Lexus had a disappearing act early Conference but I suspect fatigue in his knees.

Sorolla is going to be our work horse, not sure we could expect his overall ability to shine every game as a freshmen, so I might shade him higher to (C+).  Despite these last 4 games and GB on the road.

M

Not sure how you can say the bugs didn't develop at all?? Regardless I will play along.

Coaching Staff: A- given the obstacles they had to face they did a job that a veteran staff would be proud of. Only reasons they didn't score higher for me is that the team always seem to need a half to get going. So either we are great at halftime adjustments or.....I'm looking forward to seeing how their first recruiting class shapes out.

Centers: C-/D+ a passing grade and probably what we should've expected given the circumstances

Forwards: A without looking who is listed as a forward I'm putting AP, Hammink, Kiser, Levingston, Adekoya...only reason they don't score A+ is injury and suspension.

Guards: B but had they played the majority of the season the way they played this weekend this grade would've been much higher.

justducky

Quote from: M on February 26, 2017, 06:36:34 PMCenters: C-/D+ a passing grade and probably what we should've expected given the circumstances
I agree but am extremely optimistic for both. Freshmen centers have a way of improving in fits and starts. Both can look great on one play  :thumbsup: then awful on the next  :o.

Looks like the footwork for both has been gradually improving. Did any of you notice Derrik getting out quickly on those baseline 3 point shooters? A quarter step faster and he might have blocked or altered maybe 4 of them. Next year that could be the difference in this kind of game.

vusupporter

I think the grading of the bigs (Sorolla/Smits) is a bit harsh - maybe colored a bit by the poor last couple games from both, combined with the fact we've been spoiled by veteran posts the last few years. Let's look at Crusader freshman bigs over the past 15 years:

Sorolla's numbers especially compare well to those post players who would go on to be All-League caliber players, or would have if not for transfers/other circumstances (Oppland, Harris, Igbavboa, Bouchie, Fernandez, Adekoya), and Smits' numbers aren't far off either.

Here would be my grades for the regular rotation guys - for the record, I came into the year thinking we should win the league, but recognizing replacing a large number of minutes at both point guard and center would be a challenge:
Peters - A+ (simply tremendous - just unfortunate injury timing)
Hammink - A- (shown ability to take over at this level - outside shooting has improved, turnover rate has improved)
Walker - B+ (another step forward, even if not as large a step as we'd have liked - has stayed healthy, turning ball over less)
Sorolla - B (look at above numbers - solid season for a freshman big)
Kiser - B- (not much expected coming into year, has emerged as a solid minutes-eater to get Peters a rest - counted on last two games for big minutes - versatile, would like to see more aggression offensively)
Williams - B- (seemed slowed by heavy minutes mid-season; moved out of starting lineup for a while, partially for that reason - still heart and soul of the team, solid defender)
Joseph - C+ (flashes of brilliance, but ultimately still hasn't taken the step forward)
Bradford - C+ (reminds me a lot of Jay Harris early on in his career - can he become more consistent?)
Smits - C (see above - more consistency? I believe that's what separates him and Sorolla right now)
---
Davidson - A- (understands role. solid when called upon [Missouri State]. consummate teammate)
Adekoya - INC (strong season with some superlative performances before being sidelined. obviously did something wrong, but unfortunate he never got a chance to show himself again on the court. the emotion Coach Lottich spoke with about him on Senior Night tells you a lot about him as a person and a teammate)
Coaches - A- (Lottich went into league play with just three players who had regular rotation experience from the previous year. Dealt with lot of adversity, delivered some big non-league wins and a share of the regular season title.)

oklahomamick

I will give grades when I have time to sit down and access. 

I will say, the start of the season was very exciting and brought a lot of promise.  We beat a nationally ranked team for first time in many years, beat Bama and BYU to win a tournament.  Everything was good.  Then 2nd semester started.

When grading this team it becomes very difficult because it two different teams.  1st semester and 2nd semester. 
CRUSADERS!!!

M

Season awards are out!

http://www.horizonleague.org/video.html

Congratulations to our guys that made the list. 
Peters - Player of the Year
Hammink - Second Team
Walker - All Defense

VULB#62

Quote from: M on March 01, 2017, 09:26:13 AM
Season awards are out!

http://www.horizonleague.org/video.html

Congratulations to our guys that made the list. 
Peters - Player of the Year
Hammink - Second Team
Walker - All Defense

Makes sense.  Yes, Congrats!