• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

If Peters can't play in tournament....

Started by Just Sayin, February 27, 2017, 06:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

crusadermoe

Winning two nights in a row with our depth is tough enough with Alec on the floor.   

However, I don't rule this team out, even without him.   We played NKU tough, but they aren't as quick as Oakland or as savvy as Green Bay.   

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

Just Sayin

Why? He's wearing a foot cast correct? Healing even from a severe sprain takes a couple of weeks and then some time for rehab and getting up to speed. It's likely he won't play many, if any games.

jsher3141

Quote from: Just Sayin on February 27, 2017, 08:23:23 PM
Why? He's wearing a foot cast correct? Healing even from a severe sprain takes a couple of weeks and then some time for rehab and getting up to speed. It's likely he won't play many, if any games.
It's not a cast. It's a boot. And it's not a sprain. It's a stress reaction. He has been playing on the injury since the start of the month.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: jsher3141 on February 27, 2017, 08:58:28 PM
It's not a cast. It's a boot. And it's not a sprain. It's a stress reaction. He has been playing on the injury since the start of the month.

It's come into strong question what Jeff Goodman really knows on Alec's injury...time will tell.

I also second Ickow's comment about the HL tournament.  It's done, let's plan as such.

oklahomamick

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 27, 2017, 09:26:07 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on February 27, 2017, 08:23:23 PMWhy? He's wearing a foot cast correct? Healing even from a severe sprain takes a couple of weeks and then some time for rehab and getting up to speed. It's likely he won't play many, if any games.
It's come into strong question what Jeff Goodman really knows on Alec's injury...time will tell. I also second Ickow's comment about the HL tournament.  It's done, let's plan as such.

We can plan as such, but we can also plan for something else and better.
CRUSADERS!!!

Just Sayin

It's come into strong question what Jeff Goodman really knows on Alec's injury...time will tell.

I also second Ickow's comment about the HL tournament.  It's done, let's plan as such.

What did Ickow say about the HL tournament? What does "it's done" mean?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Just Sayin on February 28, 2017, 07:56:10 AM

What did Ickow say about the HL tournament? What does "it's done" mean?

I'm paraphrasing here, but he said the decision is made so let's move on.  He referenced fans dwelling on it despite the inability to change circumstances.  It's why I insert no comment (for once) on that thread.  I don't enjoy complaining about irreversible things, but I get everyone has varied POV.

VUOR63

If Alec Peters is injured, he shouldn't play.  He needs to heal and get ready for the draft.
This team will win the HL tournament with or without Alec Peters.

bbtds

Quote from: VUOR63 on February 28, 2017, 10:18:15 AMThis team will win the HL tournament with or without Alec Peters.

I honestly can't see it. They will play to the best of their ability but they didn't come close to Oakland on two occasions WITH Alec. What makes you think Valpo will play much better without Alec? This is hope on your part, surely.

Do you think both Oakland and Green Bay will suddenly regress to mid-season form?

NativeCheesehead

I'm going to need some clarification.

Todd said "It's done." as in.....

1. Those two games without him are over, let's move on.
2. He's not playing in the tournament period.

valpotx

I see us getting to the semifinal game, but not able to get past a fully healthy GB team.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vusupporter

Todd said "it's done" in reference to the league's decision to move the tournament to Joe Louis Arena/Little Caesars Arena, nothing else.

valpolaw

The way this season has gone with the bad luck, I don't expect Alec to play in the tournament, but I'm still hoping he will somehow pull it off. 

VUOR63

The last I checked, this is a Valpo message board so obviously everyone here should look at things with brown/gold colored lenses.  However, if you want a more in depth analysis, our guards obviously shoot better without AP on the floor--as evidenced by improved shooting last weekend.  That could be because the floor gets opened up or it could be they're more comfortable shooting when they're not taking shots away from the all-american.

If we win, it's because we scored 80+.  Keep in mind there's a day in between game 1 and game 2 where as 3/4 will have some tired legs.  I think we will beat Milwaukee, Green Bay and NKU for the title (yes, I think Oakland chokes in the semis).

VU2014

Some seriously pessimistic people on this thread... I do think we have a shot to win the Horizon League Tournament even without Alec. I would a sure of a lot easier with Alec though.

QuoteI see us getting to the semifinal game, but not able to get past a fully healthy GB team.

Green Bay is a good team but they a beatable even without Alec. We'd need to the Freshman Bigs to show up to contain Kanter.

Even against Oakland I'd think we'd have a shot to beat if we met up in the finals. Now that being said, Shane, Tevonn, Lexus, and Sorolla would all need to have a good game and not disappear. I think thats possible for all to have a good night and Oakland to play just average to beat them.

Have a little confidence and don't let the last NKU game get everyones heads down. NKU played great and Valpo's offense was great from all the wings with getting nothing from the bigs and played bad defense.

It will be tough be we can definitely win the HL Touney. Oakland is not Kentucky or Kansas or anything. They are beatable.

Mc

I think we win a game or two, but if we make it to the title game, it's questionable.  We are on a downward swing, which is not where we want to be now. 

On the other hand, it is really difficult to defeat a team 3 times in a season, so Oakland has its work cut out for it if we play them.  With Alec we certainly could win that matchup.  Without him, it's a minimal chance.  But the Pats won the Superbowl despite a minimal chance, so there is a bit of hope (although they had their vesion of Alec Peters at the helm). 

bbtds

Quote from: VUOR63 on February 28, 2017, 12:46:30 PMThe last I checked, this is a Valpo message board so obviously everyone here should look at things with brown/gold colored lenses.

Not "everybody." Some people are fans of our opponents but their opinions should be just as valued. Some of the Valpo fans would much prefer to talk in realities.

Quote from: VUOR63 on February 28, 2017, 12:46:30 PMHowever, if you want a more in depth analysis, our guards obviously shoot better without AP on the floor--as evidenced by improved shooting last weekend.

I don't believe that when Alec went out of a game during most of the season that the guards obviously shot better. It might have happened against Wright State and the guards shot somewhat better against NKU but I don't believe that it is a given that the guards will shoot better without Alec during the tournament. Did anyone else see it that the Valpo guards obviously shoot better when Alec was out of the game most of the season? That is not something I noticed as obvious.

bbtds

Quote from: Mc on February 28, 2017, 02:53:22 PMOn the other hand, it is really difficult to defeat a team 3 times in a season,

This has always been an accepted fallacy. If you actually look at the stats the majority of the time that a team has beaten another team twice they usually beat that team a third time simply because they truly are better. Each game is played individually and all previous games have no true bearing on the next game's result. If you can beat a team in your first and second contests you can just as well beat them in a third contest. Look it up. The stats will reflect it.

yayphoenixyay

I think many of you are seriously underestimating the rest of the league, and overestimating what you can do without Alec. You're a good team with him, no doubt, although not without weaknesses (3pt % etc..). Without him, honestly, as an outsider, its hard to distinguish the Crusaders from other mid-tier HL teams like NKU and Wright State. Hell, UDM might be a tough one if Alec doesn't play, Hogan has feasted on the rest of the HL this year and the Titans have pulled off some big upsets. Don't look too far ahead. My Phoenix won it last year because we truly took it on a game by game basis. If Lottich thinks he's smart for resting Alec for the first game, don't be surprised if you're sent home packing right away.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteIf Lottich thinks he's smart for resting Alec for the first game, don't be surprised if you're sent home packing right away.

There's nothing "smart" (or dumb) about it, nor is it solely Lottich's call. If Alec doesn't play in the first game, it means he's not cleared by medical staff to play. Otherwise, he'll be out there.

yayphoenixyay

Being cleared by medical staff and being game ready are two different things. The fact of the matter is if you guys don't approach the tourney one game at a time and instead project yourselves into the finals, you'll never get there.

VU2014

Quoteoverestimating what you can do without Alec

Only played 2 games without Alec. Not a lot of tape for many opposing fans to see us without Alec... Goes both ways. I get what you mean though.

Respectfully disagree and I see how opposing fans who don't watch every Valpo game would think that. Shane Hammink is underrate and Tevonn is a good player (but randomly disappears some game but will always play good D). Sorolla is a good center not just for a freshman (disappears because he's a freshman).

Green is a good team and well coached but I still think we can beat you guys even without Alec. Kanter would be the X-Factor to any game we'd play against Green Bay.

This specific year there are only 4 real contenders: OU, Valpo, NKU and GB.

Decent Team: Wright State (could make a run if they get hot)

Bad Teams: UWM, Detroit, YSU, Cleveland State

usc4valpo

Valpo does not win the tournament without Alec Peters. Not enough depth. CIT or bogus tournament here we come. Sorry, I need to buy my brown and gold kool aid.