• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo First HL Tournament Game Saturday

Started by VULB#62, February 27, 2017, 08:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUOR63

Matt Lottich is a sharp enough coach to put these guys in a position to win.  Some things to look for:

-A different zone defense--maybe a zone press to speed up the game and utilize our guard heavy roster.
-Try and get some 1-on-1 match ups on the perimeter that can allow for Hammink/Walker/Joseph to take the ball to the rack

Smits and Sorolla need to play like beasts for three days.  I anticipate that they both will have effective games.

The other guards need to bring some energy and come out shooting well.

Put up or shut up time.  Or, like Reggie Miller says...it's winning time.   

agibson

Quote from: VU2014 on March 03, 2017, 10:31:30 AM2
Quote from: VU2014 on March 03, 2017, 10:31:30 AM
QuoteWas this recorded before the ANNOUNCEMENT or was the subject just avoided? 

I'm sure the whole board in in the dumps over the ANNOUNCEMENT cuz it is quite evident no one is interested in the lead up game twixt UWM and UDM that feeds into our Saturday night game.

I believe this was taped the day before the Alec being out for the season announcement.

I've not thought about the timeline. But, I thought the video could be perfectly consistent with all the info we have today. He talks about prepping without Alec. He's just focusing on the future, on winning without Alec, and not reflecting on the loss.

VULB#62

We get the winner of the UDM-UWM match-up today.

Comparative scores (all with Alec in the lineup)

1/8 - VU 81-UDM 74 (+7)
2/2 - VU 71 @UWM 53 (+18)
2/19 - Valpo 83 @UDM 63 (+20)
2/12 - Valpo 67 - UWM 61 (+6)

Both home games against these teams were relatively close (7 and 6 point wins) and we crushed them on the road ( 18 and 20 point wins).  What does that say about a "neutral" court result for each of these opponents?  Do we average the H and A score differentials and assume that will be our margin of victory (sarcasm)?  BTW, That would mean we'd beat UDM by 13.5 and UWM by 6.5.  That's with Alec.  How do you account for Alec's absence and the "X factor" of others taking up some of that slack?   Seeking better evaluators of opposing talent and ours than me to actually figure this out.

agibson

Detroit was down by 15 or so in the first half, but apparently made a run at the beginning of the half. Milwaukee's up by 27 now with 5:28 to play. They didn't win in February.

Sophomore guard Jeremiah Bell, wears #1, with a career high 27, 20 points above his average.

74-47.

hailcrusaders

Milwaukee is going to win this game going away. I wasn't all that impressed by them and would rather play UWM than Detroit at the Joe (yes, I'm aware of the home/road splits). Obviously can't look past them tomorrow.
#CrusadersForever

FWalum

Video was recorded on Wednesday March 1.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Valpower

It's interesting to approach the tournament as a relative underdog as the 2 seed. I'm not necessarily liking it, but I'm also recognizing that it's not a death knell.  Furthermore, I'm already relishing the thought of pulling a "Green Bay" on someone. Regardless, we're already experiencing a theoretical windfall in that we are facing an opponent with a weaker record than the 1 seed faces.  I don't think the difference is huge and it certainly shouldn't be a big challenge for Oakland but, matchup differences aside, we probably couldn't have done better than drawing a team that lost 10 of their last 10 regular-season contests (compared to YSU, who lost 8 of their last 10).  May the better teams win, I'll state--rather obviously.

valpotx

I am glad to be playing Milwaukee over Detroit.  I think that Detroit matched up better with a non-AP led Valpo team, whereas we can still control the game against Milwaukee.  We just need to watch that Skall kid.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo84

If you're not watching YSU and Oakland, you need to be.  Fighting Penguins giving everything.  Morse is on pace for 40+.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vu72

OAKLAND TAKES A DIVE!  81-80!!!  UNBELIEVABLE FOLD!!!!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on March 04, 2017, 06:33:09 PM

WHAT A GAME!!!

valpo84

Morse with the ultimate team play. Only needed 2 made the pass! And I saw STL on TV

hailcrusaders

Oakland's streak of luck this season (no-call UIC game, missed FTs UWM game, all the stuff that's torpedoed Valpo) finally ran out.
#CrusadersForever

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 04, 2017, 06:37:37 PM
Quote from: vu72 on March 04, 2017, 06:33:09 PM

WHAT A GAME!!!

Jalen Hays is a GREAT asset, tonight solidifies that in my mind.  OU played a good game, just didn't have an answer for pure heart from YSU big man and Morse.  Sort of felt like how OU played us this year with big heart.  We just didn't have this type of answer for them.

I strongly believe OU was our poison pill this year.  We had a chance with them even without Peters (slight as it may have been).  I think we now have an even better chance as I'm sure many of you also believe.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpo84 on March 04, 2017, 06:38:11 PM
Morse with the ultimate team play. Only needed 2 made the pass! And I saw STL on TV

I look forward to hearing his thoughts on the Oakland game. It sounded electric for the last 10 minutes.  Prior to that YSU had the home town fans silent.

Valpo Joe

The MIRACLE begins - OAK takes a dive - Valpo has what it takes to win three and go to the DANCE  :dance:

hailcrusaders

I'm sure Lottich used the Oakland Youngstown game as an example of how the Cru cannot get complacent.
#CrusadersForever

a3uge

Quote from: hailcrusaders on March 04, 2017, 06:40:04 PM
Oakland's streak of luck this season (no-call UIC game, missed FTs UWM game, all the stuff that's torpedoed Valpo) finally ran out.
I thought it was weird how Oren and Parker were declaring Oakland the winner of the CSU / YSU game on USH. They didn't mention Oakland already losing to CSU by 11 at home and only winning by 2 on the road. They've been a really vulnerable team all year and more recently should have lost to Milwaukee a few weeks ago. Even in their last game vs YSU, they had been playing Oakland fairly close.

I'm not all that surprised Oakland lost. Good luck to them in the NIT, they'll get a winable game vs a weak bubble team.

FieldGoodie05

Are we going to score 15 pts in the first half?

hailcrusaders

10 minutes into the game and there have been a total of 7 points scored. This is...bizarre. Never seen anything like it at the college level.
#CrusadersForever

govalpogo

What's the over/under on this game hitting double digits...in combined score! :o  Man oh man.  Much credit to the Valpo faithful who stood for 7 game time minutes.

valpo64

This is one of the most painful things I have ever watched in a college basketball game!

valpo84

Need to press and change tempo of this game.

vu72

wE WILL SET A RECORD FOR FEWEST POINTS IN A HALF... :o
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015