• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Horizon League Awards 2016-2017

Started by VU2014, March 01, 2017, 09:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Horizon League Awards:

Horizon League Player of the Year: Alec Peters (Valparaiso)

Horizon League Coach of the Year: John Brannen (Northern Kentucky)

Horizon League Defensive Player of the Year: Tai Odiase (UIC)

Horizon League Sixth Man of the Year: Warren Jones (Green Bay)

Horizon League Freshman of the Year: Corey Allen (Detroit)

All Conference First Team:
-Alec Peters (Valparaiso)
-Mark Alstork (Wright State)
-Drew McDonald (Northern Kentucky)
-Cameron Morse (Youngstown State)
-Jaylen Hayes (Oakland)

All Conference Second Team:
-Jaleel Hogan (Detroit)
-Martez Walker (Oakland)
-Shane Hammink (Valparaiso)
-Rob Edwards (Cleveland State)
-Charles Cooper (Green Bay)

All Freshman Team:
-Corey Allen (Detroit)
-Carson Williams (Northern Kentucky)
-Isaiah Brock (Oakland)
-Tarkus Ferguson (UIC)
-Dominique Matthews (UIC)

All Defensive Team:
-Tevonn Walker (Valparaiso)
-Kenneth Love (Green Bay)
-Isaiah Brock (Oakland)
-Tai Odiase (UIC)
-Khalil Small (Green Bay)

https://www.facebook.com/HorizonLeague/videos/10154258979690079/

https://twitter.com/HorizonLeague/status/836961982142017536

https://twitter.com/HorizonLeague/status/836961733986103297

FWalum

Really glad to see Tevonn Walker recognized for his defensive efforts. I know that I would not want to be hounded by him for an entire game.  He also takes a number of cheap shots when he often fights through screens.  Love watching him play D.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

It's surprising to me that Morse is on the first team.  He is not efficient at all.  He just shoots a lot, and scores most of their points.  That is a second teamer, in my mind.  Everyone else I can agree with, though I have no idea who Warren Jones is from GB.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpo89

Shane should be first team. Come on.

VULB#62

[tweet]836969406609637380[/tweet]

This sounds more like an obvious 6th man award, not 2nd team.

SanityLost17

My only real complaints are Cameron Morse and Rob Edwards.   I think they are both good players.  However, if they were top 10 players in the league they would have been able to lead their teams to more victories!   

I am ok with Cooper.  He is the most important player on a team that is the 3 seed.  Sometimes influence is more important than stats. 

Martez Walker (oakland) has an ugly shot, but it goes in.  He is a 1st teamer talent.   Dorsey-Walker(oakland) played great D on peters, surprised to not see him on all D team.   

I would have put Shane or Martez on 1st team.  Both could replace Morse and both would have led YSU to more victories.   

M

^^Agreed^^

I also think you could make valid arguments for both Lottich and Kampe for coach of the year considerations.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteI would have put Shane or Martez on 1st team.  Both could replace Morse and both would have led YSU to more victories.

I don't know about the efficiency argument vs. Morse. He's literally the only scoring threat on that team. By virtue of that, he's going to have to take some questionable shots or their offense grinds to a halt. And it also means he's getting double-teamed a lot, as opponents don't have to respect his teammates in their defensive scheme.

I think you can make sound arguments for Walker or Shane replacing Morse on the first team, but I think you can make a damn good argument for Morse being there as well. Any other HL team would take him in their starting 5 in a heartbeat.

yayphoenixyay

Linc is weird and he doesn't start our best 5, somehow it works out. Cooper comes off the bench you won't really notice him, but at the end of the game, you'll probably look up at the stat scoreboard and notice he quietly had 15 points.

Warren Jones has single handedly bailed us out of a few losses. For example, he made five straight 3s and had 17 points within 3 minutes of our game @UIC. Honestly, he could have shared the 6th man award with Kanter, and he probably would have if Kanter didn't become a starter until 2/3 of the way through the year.

A name you'll hear a lot next year, or even this year in the tournament is Kameron Hankerson. The kid is only a freshman but he is a more athletic, better shooting Jordan Fouse in the making. He will be at least 2nd team all conference next season. He is just now getting playing time due to Trevor Anderson being out as well as Warren Jones' dealings with concussions. Watch out for him...

valpotx

It sounds like Warren Jones did well against everyone else, but not against us.  He made several FTs, but didn't shoot well or fill up the stat sheet in our 2 games. 

I would not take a Cameron Morse on our team.  It is the same with a Michael Watson (UMKC), Mike Helms (Oakland), and several other 'chuckers' we have played against in the last 15 years.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteI would not take a Cameron Morse on our team.  It is the same with a Michael Watson (UMKC), Mike Helms (Oakland), and several other 'chuckers' we have played against in the last 15 years.

That assumes those guys weren't doing what their coaches wanted/told them to do. Many college coaches have a "I want my best shooters to keep shooting, no matter what" philosophy.

I would absolutely take a guy like Morse and force opposing defenses to play "pick your poison" with Alec, Shane and Cameron all night, every night. The Valpo defensive system plus and offense like that spells Top 25.