• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2017 NIT?

Started by VUSWIM08-12, March 08, 2017, 09:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Rhode island won advances to play VCU tomorrow.  Princeton won in OT playsYale tomorrow for the Ivy league title

valpotx

Which is crap.  I believe that Cincinnati was still given their deserved NCAA seed when Kenyon Martin went down many years ago.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Quote from: valpotx on March 12, 2017, 12:10:12 AM
Which is crap.  I believe that Cincinnati was still given their deserved NCAA seed when Kenyon Martin went down many years ago.

Cincinnati got the seed they were expected to get considering the injury to Martin happened in the C-USA Tournament, instead of January or February, so they didn't have enough sample size to know what affect the injury would have on the Bearcats chances in the tournament. If Valpo had made the dance without Alec, we might have had some consideration for a good seed, if we held up well without him, but we lost our last two games, both important games for any hopes in the postseason.

M

I will be shocked (ever since the L to Milwaukee I would've been shocked) to hear Valpo called for the NIT. Ya know, unless the NCAA is going to buy Valpo dinner (and by dinner I mean like soup) after screwing us so many times lately.

a3uge

Quote from: M on March 12, 2017, 09:20:37 AM
I will be shocked (ever since the L to Milwaukee I would've been shocked) to hear Valpo called for the NIT. Ya know, unless the NCAA is going to buy Valpo dinner (and by dinner I mean like soup) after screwing us so many times lately.
The thing is, we have a better RPI than Richmond, Ohio State, Syracuse (seriously, they don't even belong in the NIT), Iowa, Boise State, and Fresno State.

And yeah, RPI isn't a good metric, in the sense that the power conference schools have inflated RPIs due to teams in their conference not having to play on the road. So we should theoretically have a better RPI, given a balanced schedule.

On paper there's a good argument against any of those teams, strictly based on resume and ignoring the Peters situation.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: a3uge on March 12, 2017, 09:52:15 AM
The thing is, we have a better RPI than Richmond, Ohio State, Syracuse (seriously, they don't even belong in the NIT), Iowa, Boise State, and Fresno State.

And yeah, RPI isn't a good metric, in the sense that the power conference schools have inflated RPIs due to teams in their conference not having to play on the road. So we should theoretically have a better RPI, given a balanced schedule.

On paper there's a good argument against any of those teams, strictly based on resume and ignoring the Peters situation.

We are pretty beat up this year with only 8 scholarship players available.  I'd be happy with whatever decision coach and the seniors make.  But I'm concerned we aren't really competitive mentally at this juncture.

Time will tell, but I know I was done as a senior after conference (track n field) and finishing in 2nd, just missing out the automatic qualification to Regionals.  Competing for 4-years of year round practice 3+ hours a day all slammed home.  I was DONE!  Think it's feasible that SHANE could also be in that type of mental space.

BUT he can be on a more national stage if we are invited to the NIT.  More steps towards a European bball career, visibility is key in sports.

Mc

I think we will be in, but our seed will be low.  Unless Shane and Tevonn have monster games (which is possible), I doubt we win a game.  If they go on a tear, and Sorolla shows up, we have a shot.  Would rather see Lexus at the helm instead of Micah. 

justducky

If we needed a last straw then maybe I watched it happen. UC Davis 50- UC Irvine 47. That puts Irvine as an additional NIT auto bid. Just last week Irvine had pounded Davis by I think they said 30 points.

I absolutely do not want to see Vandy in (NCAA) and Illinois St or Rhode island out. It is like an incestuous relationship. Vandy matches up well with Florida and has beaten them 3 times. So instead of Florida dropping appropriately they conclude Vandy (19 wins) must be better than they look. Vandy is another team we would have beaten in November.

Wait! I forgot. They screwed Bryce last year so they will make it up to him tonight.  :'(

usc4valpo

Again with the state of the team, would Valpo be better off paying several games in the CIT/CBI instead of being a sacrifice lamb in the first round of the NIT? The NIT is really nothing special where a bid gives them great prestige.

VU2014

According to Paul's Twitter Poll: 62% of fans (including some HL rivals voting) want Valpo's season to end compared to 38% think we should play in the CIT/CBI if we get an invite.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/840674026540404736

usc4valpo

I am shocked by that result. maybe 62 percent that Hillary Clinton should never run again for office? The more practice and games you play, the better - there is a lot of player analysis to be done for next year.

cornonthe

Reading all of the NIT bracket predictions(there are a few)and they all have us as either a six seed, eight seed or out!!! One has us playing Iowa, one against Mississippi and another facing Illinois. It's all a crap shoot ATM...I guess we will know in around two hours...

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on March 12, 2017, 01:13:21 PM
According to Paul's Twitter Poll: 62% of fans (including some HL rivals voting) want Valpo's season to end compared to 38% think we should play in the CIT/CBI if we get an invite.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/840674026540404736

Same poll performed after several 15 win seasons and it's 99% for.  VU fans may just need some detoxing.

VU2014

Valpo is in the NIT! A bit of a surprise even though the resume proved we deserved the invite.

We are playing University of Illinois in the 1st round of the NIT. We are a 7 seed

M

Well....shocked we got in! Pretty happy with the draw. Might as well win the whole darn thing!!

a3uge

Not only did we get in, we got a winable game vs a team that just fired their coach.

VU2014

Reggie Minton the NIT Committee Chairman said Ohio State & UNC Asheville were the last two out. No teams turned down invites this year.

We were probably the last 2 teams in.

a3uge

Would have been great to draw Indiana. 16-15 Georgia Tech gets a home game vs them... They had a 106 RPI.

VU2014

QuoteNot only did we get in, we got a winable game vs a team that just fired their coach.

Yep Groce got fired yesterday. It really comes down to Shane/Tevonn/Sorolla have good games, good solid PG play from Lexus or maybe someone steps up. We will have to want to want it more.

UofI players may not really "want it". We have a punchers chance even with the no Alec and the very short bench.

valpopal

Alec reacts on Twitter to the cruel twist that Valpo will play Illinois near his home, and he won't be able to play.   :(

[tweet]841089714421682177[/tweet]

bbtds

bbtds said:
QuoteThat just means they enjoy screwing Valpo and will do it as many times as possible. NIT not going to happen.

I'll be the first one to say it, Holy Cow! Was I wrong or what?

This is when you take credit for the goal by saying the goal wouldn't happen.

If it wasn't for BBTDS there would be no Valpo in the NIT!!!!

VUSL98

Three common opponents with Illinois: Detroit, Northern Kentucky, and BYU.

Not sure what there is to learn.  Seems like so long ago for both teams...

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on March 12, 2017, 08:01:15 PMUofI players may not really "want it". We have a punchers chance even with the no Alec and the very short bench.
Good definition. Burn the play book and pretend this is the 17-18 season. Could be fun.