• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA College Basketball Talk

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2017, 11:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

Wow that is a show I cannot miss!  I will make sure I record this as well as Dance Moms!

usc4valpo

Kansas is playing, well, like Kansas tonight. So much for the wise upset prediction...

Just Sayin

In the history of the NCAA tournament, an 11 seed (this year Xavier) has met a 1 seed (this year Gonzaga) only six times in the elite 8. Both seeded teams have won three times. Not many data points, but.....................

http://rotoguru2.com/hoop/mad/seedwl.html

usc4valpo

Arizona cannot reac the Final Four - again. I am sure Sean Miller is taking a lot of grief.

In the meantime, Bill Murray is having one helluva 12 months. Cool story.

VU2014

VU2014

VU2014

VU2624

Quote from: VU2014 on March 24, 2017, 08:31:47 PMDuring the Baylor vs South Carolina Broadcast.... 😂😂😂 https://twitter.com/brickies2010/status/845442549934424065
Quote from: VU2014 on March 24, 2017, 08:31:47 PMDuring the Baylor vs South Carolina Broadcast.... 😂😂😂 https://twitter.com/brickies2010/status/845442549934424065

Felt bad for Verne. He was obviously getting some bad info on the shot.

They did correct it later.

VU2624

Some talk on college basketball radio of Xavier's Chris Mack getting the Indiana job.

usc4valpo

I thought Uncle Verne was retiring.  But the SEC still needs his love.

Anyway, here is my moronic assessment from last night.

1. Butler vs. North Carolina was over about 10 minutes into the game. 3's were popping all about for the baby blue, and  they kept the fast tempo of the game. There was no way Butler was going to recover from a 10 plus point deficit.

2. Speaking of tempo, that was a big factor in that game and in the UCLA Kentucky matchup. More on that coming up.

3. Berry for North Carolina was fantastic. Meeks and North Carolina's rebounding effort was impressive and limited possessions for Butler.  Also, and yes It is obvious, the talent level and depth of North Carolina was apparent.

4. I did not refer to North Carolina as "Carolina" for obvious reasons.

5. As for South Carolina, yes their defense was outstanding. Yes, Martin is an excellent and under appreciated coach. Yes they should be favored to beat Florida. However...Baylor was complete crapola last night and played like clowns. Drew did a terrible job adjusting and the team was very frustrated.

6. On the other hand, why do so many people, particularly Big 12 fans, dislike Drew and refer to him as corrupt and "a weasel"?  Is there jealousy over his accomplishments? On the other hand, can Baylor  ever get over the top and get to the Final Four with Scott Drew? He has been at Baylor for while and elevated the basketball program, but you have big dollar alums who want more. Baylor athletics, football obviously more so than other sports, requires some soul searching.

7. Did the UCLA - Kentucky game meet the hype?  I think yes, but DeAaron Fox was the superstar last night, not Lonzo Ball. Monk and Fox were phenomenal and wonderful to watch. However, I think the big issue was that Kentucky kept the tempo to their game and played good defense compared to UCLA. Ball was disappointing and in the second half seemed a little disengaged. 

8. The south regions had North Carolina, Kentucky and UCLA  - great tournament seeding. North Carolina vs Kentucky is must see basketball TV.

9. Alford to Indiana?

10. The Charles Barkley- Samuel L. Jackson - Spike Lee Capital One commercials are wonderful . Good to see Gloria Gaynor back.

11. Kansas, Xavier, South Carolina, Kentucky

valpo64

Latest word is that Archie Miller from Dayton is the new IU coach.

VU2014

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/845675302210617344

I'm actually happy Indiana didn't land Chris Mack from Xavier. Chris Mack has more recruiting ties to the State and I'd imagine if he took the IU job he'd double down on recruiting Indiana which may hurt Valpo who seems to recruiting Indiana more in the last 2 years. Generally we are not fishing for the same talent but it just creates more competition.

Either way I think they made a great hire. Feel really bad for Dayton fans. Dayton has been one of the elite MidMajor programs the last 4-6 years under Archie. Never like to see a fellow Mid lose its coach.

usc4valpo

Archie Miller is an excellent choice

FieldGoodie05

Anyone else expecting news this coming week on Kiser?  Coach said he was taking a few days off after that crazy season, understood.  But here we are coming up on two weeks on Tuesday.

I'm betting we hear something by Friday.  Kiser likely knows....guessing VU will do a nice little announcement soon.

P.S.  There wasn't a write-up on the VU athletics website for Markus Golder (I now understand signing day will probably bring about this write-up).  Hope Kiser gets one too.

VU2014

QuoteAnyone else expecting news this coming week on Kiser?  Coach said he was taking a few days off after that crazy season, understood.  But here we are coming up on two weeks on Tuesday.

I'm betting we hear something by Friday.  Kiser likely knows....guessing VU will do a nice little announcement soon.

P.S.  There wasn't a write-up on the VU athletics website for Markus Golder (I now understand signing day will probably bring about this write-up).  Hope Kiser gets one too.

I wouldn't be too worried about it. No write up on Golder because he hasn't signed his 'letter of intent' yet and is unable too till April 12th which is signing day. Check out Golders twitter page: https://twitter.com/TheReal_MG3 His headline on twitter is announcing his commitment to Valpo.

I don't expect Kiser to officially be given a scholarship till after all the HS signing period ends and when the transfer market slows down. Coach Lottich & the Coaching staff may have taken a few days off but I believe they have been keeping tabs on the transfer market and we know that the Valpo has reached out to Ryan Fazekas (local product/formerly attended Providence) and are recruiting him to Valpo. Fingers crossed he chooses Valpo.

Once the transfer market gets addressed I believe we are likely to see if Kiser gets a scholarship. Seems likely to happen. I don't see anymore HS recruits signing with Valpo for class of 2017. Most likely is a transfer and a scholarship for Kiser if I had to guess.

usc4valpo

When I watch Gonzaga and their center Karnovski, he reminds me of Curly disguised as Bustoff in the 3 Stooges Grips, Grunts and Groans episode.

usc4valpo

the way my picks go, just assume the opposite result.

So Kansas won each of their first 3 games by at least 20 points. They looked unstoppable against Purdue,  was playing well! They face Oregon, who is one starter down, squeaking out wins, and Kansas more or less has a home game! Then, Bell for Duckzilla was an unstoppable chairman on the boards. Oregon was outstanding last night.

elephtheria47

South Carolina and Xavier, two of the last teams in, making runs in the tourney is going to continue keeping mid majors out and awarding that spot to the middling big conference schools

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: elephtheria47 on March 26, 2017, 11:31:59 AM
South Carolina and Xavier, two of the last teams in, making runs in the tourney is going to continue keeping mid majors out and awarding that spot to the middling big conference schools

Point taken.  Still only matters how much $$ the NCAA can make without looking the fool.  More attendance and bigger tv audience runs the tournament.

Anyone have the data on the tournament during the (2) Butler runs?  Better NIELSEN ratings or what?

usc4valpo

Well, some of the final teams from major conferences that got in did well. South Carolina, xavier, the real USC - give them props.

VU75

It looks like the Horizon League has lost a broadcast partner.  The American Sports Network is shutting down at the end of the month

vusupporter

South Carolina is a 7 seed. Far from being one of the last teams in.

VU2624

Quote from: vusupporter on March 26, 2017, 07:01:57 PMSouth Carolina is a 7 seed. Far from being one of the last teams in.

Two 1's, a 3 and a 7. Not all that unusual.