• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NCAA College Basketball Talk

Started by VU2014, March 10, 2017, 11:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 16, 2017, 10:34:21 PM
Quote from: WiscoCrusader on March 16, 2017, 10:14:47 PM
I'm really surprised to see the complete lack of conversation about the most awkwardly failed play in NCAA tournament history since Chris Webber's ill advised timeout. 

Questions:

- Did Bryce yell for an intentional foul?  I was listening to the radio broadcast and the announcers insisted that Bryce was calling for a foul.
- Why did Bryce not have any timeouts left?
- Will Bryce return to Valpo after he is fired in a few weeks?
- Do we want him back?

All valid questions!

Players say different

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18927229/2017-ncaa-tournament-matthew-fisher-davis-vanderbilt-commodores-foul-dumb-mistake

Sometimes ya just have to correct fake news.

SanityLost17

Bryce pointed at one of his players(not the guy who committed the foul) and then pointed to Northwestern's point guard.  Looked like a "you stop the ballhandler" type situation.  I think the other guy saw that, had a mental lapse, and panicked. 

VU2014

Bryce loves to burn his timeouts to stop other teams runs' and regroup his guys. Not a bad strategy sometimes but he finds himself in these situations. The game didn't come down to the time out thing though. I actually just think Northwestern was the better team with the better roster. More holes on the Vandy roster.

That foul was a total mental lapse/brain fart. Was bad, but these things will happen with amateur athletes. Feel for the kid.

crusadermoe

Illinois looking at Roger Powell, perhaps?   They likely want a proven guy.  But Powell seems like a great idea to me.

valpo64

I heard from people in Illinois that their AD has been given  a green light as far as $$  are concerned to get a top caliber coach.  However it  always seems to get down to the fact that that job is not appealing and not too many people want to go to "the prairie".  Time will tell.

VU2014

QuoteI heard from people in Illinois that their AD has been given  a green light as far as $$  are concerned to get a top caliber coach.  However it  always seems to get down to the fact that that job is not appealing and not too many people want to go to "the prairie".  Time will tell.

I disagree. I would say its an appealing job, but it's not an "elite" job. Its still a Top 20-25 job in the nation. Has some history of winning (even though its been 10yrs since much success).

Illinois could become a perennial Top 10 team in the nation with the right coach in charge. Chicago is literally a GOLD MINE of talent. But recruiting the Chicago Public Schools and AAU circuit is an art form. You have to kiss some major @$$ to the Public school coaches and AAU coaches. There are a lot of egos and $ you have to navigate. Lots of the AAU and Public coaches want jobs at the college level and act as agents for for the kids and have a heavy handed influence. The Shoe companies have a lot of poll when you factor that too because they sponsor the AAU teams and basically pay coaches to help steer kids to colleges that wear their gear. So many politics involved. Roger Powell was huge for Valpo in recruiting the Chicago AAU and Public scene when he first got here with Bryce.

Point is that the Illinois could become a powerhouse again with the right coach. Bill Self used the Illinois job to land himself an elite job at Kansas. 

covufan

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 17, 2017, 10:18:40 AM
Illinois looking at Roger Powell, perhaps?   They likely want a proven guy.  But Powell seems like a great idea to me.

Maybe?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/

|SALT LAKE CITY

Now that Cuonzo Martin is off the table, who's next on the Illinois wish list?

Is there a former Illini player who could garner athletic director Josh Whitman's attention?

It's too bad that Roger Powell Jr. is not further along in his coaching career. At some point, though, Illini decision-makers should keep him in mind ...

"Illinois has my heart," he said Wednesday.

Powell is Bryce Drew's top assistant at Vanderbilt, which faces Northwestern on Thursday in the first round of the NCAA tournament. Powell joined Drew's Valparaiso staff in 2011 after retiring from playing at age 28.

His post-Illini playing career included stints with the Rockford Lightning of the Continental Basketball Association, gigs in Italy, Israel, Spain, France and Germany, and three games with the Utah Jazz in the 2006-07 season. The Jazz play where Thursday's NU-Vanderbilt game will be, a venue now called Vivint Smart Home Arena.

Vanderbilt and Northwestern have Powell's full attention now.

Powell, a native of Joliet, said that despite his Illini ties, he is "excited" for NU.

Shannon Ryan examines candidates that could replace John Groce as Illinois men's basketball coach.
(Shannon Ryan)

"I know those guys," he said of the NU coaches. "I'm good friends with a lot of them. Armon (Gates) and I played AAU together, growing up. We've been really tight. Doug Collins played with my dad at Illinois State, so I grew up going to all the Bulls games. So I knew his son (Chris) a little, but he was older. So it's like full circle, man. It's crazy."

Powell said Drew is great to work for because he "cares about people, loves his players. He not only can relate to players, he plays to their strengths. Making adjustments to make guys feel comfortable, that is something I'm learning. He comes from a basketball family. He just does it naturally."

Powell, 34, has been with Drew six years. In that time, they've never missed postseason play.

Valpo went to two NCAAs, two NITs and a CollegeInsider.com tournament.

And now this season, as Vanderbilt went rose from a 12-13 record on Feb. 11 to make the NCAA tournament at 19-15.

"It is becoming something that's normal," Powell said of postseason tournaments. "It's a blessing."

VU2624

Quote from: covufan on March 17, 2017, 12:54:32 PMAnd now this season, as Vanderbilt went rose from a 12-13 record on Feb. 11 to make the NCAA tournament at 19-15. "It is becoming something that's normal," Powell said of postseason tournaments. "It's a blessing."

Drew and Powell should send a letter of appreciation to Mike White for not being able to figure out how Florida might beat Vandy in three attempts.

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on March 16, 2017, 11:55:57 AM
Crean fired at IU,  names mentioned in IU circles include Billy  Donovan, Greg Marshall, T. Bennett,  Miller from Dayton,  Steve Alford, Bryce Drew and Greg Tonegel

Where do you think Crean will end up? It was interesting that BTN just aired a program on Crean and his personal life in Bloomington including discussion of how his brother-in-laws influenced his coaching style. Better reset and learn how nice Ypsilanti, Terre Haute, Muncie, Oxford-OH, Athens-OH, Normal, etc truly are.

VU2014

QuoteWhere do you think Crean will end up? It was interesting that BTN just aired a program on Crean and his personal life in Bloomington including discussion of how his brother-in-laws influenced his coaching style. Better reset and learn how nice Ypsilanti, Terre Haute, Muncie, Oxford-OH, Athens-OH, Normal, etc truly are.

I don't think Crean did that bad of a job at IU, especially because the mess Sampson left the program in with sanctions and all. If IU wants to be an elite team again then they need to invest a little more in player facilities and players lodging. It feels ridiculous saying that but its true. Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, etc all have the best of the best housing and practice facilities to land the one and dones. I hate saying that because we would kill to have IU's resources and facilities but its true.

Crean is a good coach, maybe not the greatest in game coach but it is what it is. The guy took Marquette to a Final 4 so lets not trash the guy because he has a good track record previous to IU. No doubt I guess a sweet 16 is disappointing for those fans. He'll land a decent job and he'll take that program to at least a certain level.

Curious, how did they say Jim Harbaugh influenced his coaching style? Harbaugh is super intense on the field and in practice. But is also a great and really fun recruiter.

usc4valpo

The media and others should give USC more respect. These guys are showing much grit and characters in their wins and they have a decent shot of upsetting Baylor on Sunday.

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on March 17, 2017, 03:34:13 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on March 16, 2017, 11:55:57 AM
Crean fired at IU,  names mentioned in IU circles include Billy  Donovan, Greg Marshall, T. Bennett,  Miller from Dayton,  Steve Alford, Bryce Drew and Greg Tonegel

Where do you think Crean will end up? It was interesting that BTN just aired a program on Crean and his personal life in Bloomington including discussion of how his brother-in-laws influenced his coaching style. Better reset and learn how nice Ypsilanti, Terre Haute, Muncie, Oxford-OH, Athens-OH, Normal, etc truly are.
Don't forget Cleveland-OH and Youngstown-OH

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on March 17, 2017, 06:16:34 PM
QuoteWhere do you think Crean will end up? It was interesting that BTN just aired a program on Crean and his personal life in Bloomington including discussion of how his brother-in-laws influenced his coaching style. Better reset and learn how nice Ypsilanti, Terre Haute, Muncie, Oxford-OH, Athens-OH, Normal, etc truly are.

I don't think Crean did that bad of a job at IU, especially because the mess Sampson left the program in with sanctions and all. If IU wants to be an elite team again then they need to invest a little more in player facilities and players lodging. It feels ridiculous saying that but its true. Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, etc all have the best of the best housing and practice facilities to land the one and dones. I hate saying that because we would kill to have IU's resources and facilities but its true.

Crean is a good coach, maybe not the greatest in game coach but it is what it is. The guy took Marquette to a Final 4 so lets not trash the guy because he has a good track record previous to IU. No doubt I guess a sweet 16 is disappointing for those fans. He'll land a decent job and he'll take that program to at least a certain level.

Curious, how did they say Jim Harbaugh influenced his coaching style? Harbaugh is super intense on the field and in practice. But is also a great and really fun recruiter.

Time for John Mellencamp to finance the new Assembly Hall and pro style practice and residential facilities.

Per Crean they hire the best support staff that they can possibly get. Says volumes about the kind of guy Steve McClain is. But it doesn't mean he can win on his own.

VU2014

QuotePer Crean they hire the best support staff that they can possibly get. Says volumes about the kind of guy Steve McClain is. But it doesn't mean he can win on his own.

McClain was one of IU's top recruiters. He's proven it at UIC.

VU2624

Quote from: VU2014 on March 17, 2017, 06:16:34 PMCurious, how did they say Jim Harbaugh influenced his coaching style? Harbaugh is super intense on the field and in practice. But is also a great and really fun recruiter.

Maybe it was John Harbaugh who was the influence?

FWalum

Quote from: VU2014 on March 17, 2017, 06:16:34 PMIf IU wants to be an elite team again then they need to invest a little more in player facilities and players lodging.

I can't talk to the player's lodging/residential facilities, but the Cook Hall practice facility is a state of the art facility.

Quote from: bbtds on March 17, 2017, 07:40:36 PMTime for John Mellencamp to finance the new Assembly Hall and pro style practice and residential facilities.

Assembly Hall was extensively renovated and rededicated just prior to the start of the 2016-2017 season. http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2016/10/13/assembly-hall-renovations-gift-keeps-giving/91889164/
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

NativeCheesehead

Living facilities I can understand being a big deal. But I've never understood why a big deal is made out of a practice facility. Duke practices at Cameron Indoor. The issue at a place like Valpo is that 47 other sports/IM/events/bake sales are held in the arena. I can remember Homer being very frustrated about this over the years.

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on March 17, 2017, 11:43:46 PMAssembly Hall was extensively renovated and rededicated just prior to the start of the 2016-2017 season. http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2016/10/13/assembly-hall-renovations-gift-keeps-giving/91889164/

Well, then John M needs to dig a little deeper because IU is not an elite program anymore. I bet if Mellenhead gave free concerts every weekend that might turn a few athlete's heads.  :-[

valpo64

Mellencamp has already given TONS of $$ for the IU football practice facility.  Facilities are not the problem at IU...recruiting the right people is the key.  Crean had Farrell for 4 years and never had recruited a solid replacement.  The kid from Pitt was a 1 year deal and he wasn't anything special...after all, he did come from Pitt.

usc4valpo

Is it me or has basketball in Indiana dropped in prestige the past 20 years? Could it have anything to do with the multiple classes they added for the high school playoffs? Right now I am not sure that the Indiana coaching job is one of most prestigious in the US. I know this is blasphomy for many on this board, but it may be reality.

a3uge

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 18, 2017, 10:17:49 AM
Is it me or has basketball in Indiana dropped in prestige the past 20 years? Could it have anything to do with the multiple classes they added for the high school playoffs? Right now I am not sure that the Indiana coaching job is one of most prestigious in the US. I know this is blasphomy for many on this board, but it may be reality.

There's 300 different high school divisions in every state now, so I'm not sure that's it, but you're right about it dropping.

On espn's recruiting database...

2012:
11 ESPN100 recruits (including Gary Harris, GRIII, Yogi, McGary, Hammons)
2 5-star
9 4-star
3 3-star
15 2-star
3 1-star (including Spike Albrecht)

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2012/view/state/order/true/state/indiana

2016:

1 ESPN100 recruit
1 5-star
2 4-star
8 3-star
11 total entries

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2016/view/state/order/true/state/indiana

And next year there's only 11 entries... And Valpo has their 7th rated recruit!

But beyond the talent, IU isn't recruiting Indy like it did in the past. Teams like Butler and Xavier can compete with IU in recruiting now that they're in the Big East.

FieldGoodie05

The power is shifting in the B1G to the point where Illinois has obsoleted itself and IU has only kept serve.  IU was not a dream job back when Crean took over either, just like ND football coach is not as attractive as it once was.  Top 20 jobs, absolutely.  But their fan base think they are THE TOP JOB.  I respectfully disagree.

TV programming and availability of games online have taken the prestige from some of these high end programs as well.  It's diluted the product because the supply chain is more numerous than just ABC, NBC and CBS.  I remember the days where I was forced to watch only the top programs on TV....those days are gone. 

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on March 18, 2017, 11:35:33 AM

There's 300 different high school divisions in every state now, so I'm not sure that's it, but you're right about it dropping.

On espn's recruiting database...

2012:
11 ESPN100 recruits (including Gary Harris, GRIII, Yogi, McGary, Hammons)
2 5-star
9 4-star
3 3-star
15 2-star
3 1-star (including Spike Albrecht)

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2012/view/state/order/true/state/indiana

2016:

1 ESPN100 recruit
1 5-star
2 4-star
8 3-star
11 total entries

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2016/view/state/order/true/state/indiana

And next year there's only 11 entries... And Valpo has their 7th rated recruit!

But beyond the talent, IU isn't recruiting Indy like it did in the past. Teams like Butler and Xavier can compete with IU in recruiting now that they're in the Big East.

Very good point. Since Butler has emerged as a (semi?) major IU has been no where near as successful in the Central Indiana/Indy area for recruiting. Purdue has probably been the most successful in general but there is very little loyalty anymore to the home state.

VU2624

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 18, 2017, 11:36:34 AMThe power is shifting in the B1G to the point where Illinois has obsoleted itself and IU has only kept serve.  IU was not a dream job back when Crean took over either, just like ND football coach is not as attractive as it once was.  Top 20 jobs, absolutely.  But their fan base think they are THE TOP JOB.  I respectfully disagree. TV programming and availability of games online have taken the prestige from some of these high end programs as well.  It's diluted the product because the supply chain is more numerous than just ABC, NBC and CBS.  I remember the days where I was forced to watch only the top programs on TV....those days are gone.

I agree and the IU fans who believe such are delusional.

VU2624

So Brad Underwood goes from SFA to OSU to Illinois in two seasons. I'm pretty sure he didn't even recruit last years OSU guys. What a racket.  :lol: