• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #33, NIT round one Tuesday March 14 @ Illinois 6:15pmCT

Started by talksalot, March 12, 2017, 09:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

justducky

Quote from: talksalot on March 12, 2017, 09:29:12 PMWe don't have AP, They don't have a head coach
Just what I was thinking! AP should volunteer to coach the Illini.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteJust what I was thinking! AP should volunteer to coach the Illini.

"See that basket? I want you to score a lot of points there."

"Um, Coach Peters, isn't that Valpo's basket?"

"JUST DO IT OR YOU'RE BENCHED, YOUNG MAN."

agibson

Just to post it over here too, the "official" ticket info seems to be that they will be on sale at 9 AM central from UIUC, probably links like
http://www.fightingillini.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball
and that VU fans will be in section 134 and 135.

Other tickets may be available even now through their mobile site (I managed something that's hopefully close to the floor).

Looks like $20 reserved, $10 general admission, plus fees.

vu72

I'm thinking the Illini fans will stay home in droves.  If we have a decent crowd it could be interesting,  We still have Lexus from our Illinois contingent.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

A bit painful to see a photo of Alex in his cast watching the tournament announcements on television that his mom includes on Twitter.  :(

[tweet]841086593872089088[/tweet]

M

VU2014

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-mens-basketball-valparaiso-st-0313-20170312-story.html

Valparaiso captures NIT berth, will open at Illinois on Tuesday

By: Michael Osipoff
Post-Tribune

Valparaiso's tumultuous season isn't over quite yet.

And it actually has a little juice at the finish line.

On Sunday night, the Crusaders received an at-large bid to the NIT. They will play as a seventh seed at second-seeded Illinois at 6:15 p.m. Tuesday in a game that will be televised on ESPN2.

"We're extremely happy right now — there's no other way to put it," Valparaiso coach Matt Lottich said. "We've had our fair share of ups and downs. When you lose in the conference tournament the way we did, you can lose focus on the body of work and I'm glad the NIT saw that.

"We were rewarded for it. We're super excited. It's not every day you get to play a Big Ten team."

Valparaiso was the runner-up in last season's NIT as an automatic qualifier, regrouping after getting omitted from the NCAA Tournament.

Circumstances were dramatically different this season, including having star senior Alec Peters miss three straight games with a season-ending injury.

But considered a bubble team, the Crusaders again made the event.

Lottich was watching the selection show at his house with associate head coach Luke Gore, as well as his wife.

"We literally were jumping up and down and hugging one another," Lottich said. "Our true feelings came out."

Give the rest a click/read

agibson

I think the "give it a click" is a good habit. But, the next line is a juicy one!

QuoteAfter the Crusaders (24-8, 14-4) lost their first game in the Horizon League Tournament, Lottich said it was unanimous among the players they wanted to continue to play in any tournament.

(And there's a good bit more besides - really nice article, actually.)

valpotx

This is a tough one to call.  Does the team that beat Wright State and almost beat NKU on the road show up, or does the team that laid an egg in the conference tournament show up?  I think that it will be the positive:

Valpo 72
Illini 64
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Unfortunately, spring break for Illinois does not start until the end of this week, which means more of a home advantage if many students attend, which does happen when a game is televised on an ESPN network. Also, I think it is a safe bet that Valpo takes advantage of every minute available to practice on the State Farm Center court.  ;) 

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on March 13, 2017, 01:32:56 AM
This is a tough one to call.  Does the team that beat Wright State and almost beat NKU on the road show up, or does the team that laid an egg in the conference tournament show up?  I think that it will be the positive:

Valpo 72
Illini 64

Throwing out the "No Eggs Laid" challenge?

wh

Quote from: valpopal on March 13, 2017, 02:19:07 AM
Unfortunately, spring break for Illinois does not start until the end of this week, which means more of a home advantage if many students attend, which does happen when a game is televised on an ESPN network. Also, I think it is a safe bet that Valpo takes advantage of every minute available to practice on the State Farm Center court.  ;) 

Don't be too sure. After inexplicably passing on a shoot around opportunity at the JLA a year ago, they inexplicably make the same dumb decision the very next year. Some people are just slow learners, as the expression goes.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on March 13, 2017, 05:10:49 AM
Quote from: valpopal on March 13, 2017, 02:19:07 AM

Don't be too sure. After inexplicably passing on a shoot around opportunity at the JLA a year ago, they inexplicably make the same dumb decision the very next year. Some people are just slow learners, as the expression goes.

VU2014

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/valparaiso-to-meet-illinois-in-nit/article_b1d9ce07-e5ef-5614-9492-f530f6c2c8d0.html

Valparaiso to meet Illinois in NIT

By: Paul Oren

They won't have Alec Peters and they won't be playing at home, but the Valparaiso men's basketball team is back in the National Invitation Tournament for a second straight year.

Valparaiso earned the final at-large berth Sunday night, edging out Ohio State and UNC-Asheville, and will play at Illinois on Tuesday night.

The Crusaders will be returning to the State Farm Center for the first time since the current senior class were freshmen in the fall of 2013.

"Obviously, we're extremely happy right now," Valparaiso coach Matt Lottich said. "There's no other way to put it. We're excited about the opportunity to compete in the NIT again."

The Crusaders (24-8) earned their first at-large berth to a postseason tournament since first-year coach Scott Drew led Valparaiso to the 2003 NIT against Iowa. Valparaiso is making its fourth appearance in the NIT and its seventh straight postseason appearance.

Give the rest a click/read

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on March 13, 2017, 02:19:07 AMAlso, I think it is a safe bet that Valpo takes advantage of every minute available to practice on the State Farm Center court.   

Hopefully. Lots of flights canceled at Chocago airports this morning. Hopefully no problem with bus availability.

Only maybe two inches fresh in Valpo, but sounds like maybe more around Chicago, and still falling through Tuesday evening?

Hopefully they're on the road soon!

agibson

Here's one Illini Gameday thread
http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=23753
Including a nice overview of the NIT rule changes. Quarters, more or less, with significant FT changes (no bonus? Straight to the double bonus with 2 FTA on the fifth foul of each quarter).

And here's one seating chart that makes it look like much of the lowest level is normally for the student section

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=4994

(Including my section!) Will be interesting to see what that's like tomorrow.

agibson

The Vegas line seems surprisingly bouncy on opening. Favoring Illinois by between 6.5 and 8.5.

Attitudes of their fans seem to vary. Some predicting an easy win without Alec. Others worried about motivation, two disappointing games to end their season, and the interim coach.

Sounds like Indiana won't play at home, if we'd drawn them I guess the game would have been at the ARC!

valpo64

If IU would come to the ARC for whatever reason, do you think we'd have a full house?   LOL!  Illinois State could be next for the winner of our game with the U of I.

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on March 13, 2017, 11:14:59 AMHere's one Illini Gameday thread
http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=23753
Including a nice overview of the NIT rule changes. Quarters, more or less, with significant FT changes (no bonus? Straight to the double bonus with 2 FTA on the fifth foul of each quarter).

You may not realize this but the NCAA women's teams having been using quarters and this no bonus straight to the double bonus for 2 years now.

According to the Illinois message board:
All they're doing here is just "playing on" past that 10-minute mark and resetting the fouls. I don't know why they wouldn't just go to 4 10-minute quarters.

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on March 13, 2017, 11:39:07 AM
If IU would come to the ARC for whatever reason, do you think we'd have a full house?   LOL!  Illinois State could be next for the winner of our game with the U of I.

The NIT bracket shows that Valpo/Illinois winner plays the Boise State/Utah winner.

https://www.landof10.com/big-ten/2017-nit-bracket-see-full-32-team-field

agibson

Quote from: bbtds on March 13, 2017, 11:50:25 AM
You may not realize this but the NCAA women's teams having been using quarters and this no bonus straight to the double bonus for 2 years now.

Thanks. Yeah, I did notice watching the Valpo women play in the HL tournament that they were on quarters now. Hadn't noticed the FT structure. But, yes, this seems to be basically a move to the women's structure. (But somehow they're calling them "segments" and not technically "quarters" and are resetting fouls but not the clock. I guess there's probably also not a stoppage of play, or a buzzer beater? So, not _quite_ the same as the women.)

I don't quite understand the shot clock change in the front court. Is it a _maximum_ of 20 seconds? A _minimum_ of 20 seconds? Both?

And, yeah, the ISU game would come after Utah/Boise State. Maybe a week from now, an eternity.

talksalot

NIT / CIT and CBI will all be using these variations on the rules for this year...
==================================================

The other experimental rule that will be in place stipulates that the shot clock will reset to 20 seconds instead of 30 seconds in instances when the ball is inbounded in the front court. The NCAA said the purpose of this rule is to try to increase the number of possessions and thus increase scoring.

Scenario:  you have the ball with 4 seconds left on the clock and get fouled... during the regular season, you get a "fresh shot clock"... now, you'll only get 20 seconds, not the full 30.   Same scenario, if you race the ball up and get fouled in the front court but there are 25 seconds on the clock... you will lose 5-seconds, and will now only get 20 seconds.

Under the experimental rule, each team's total fouls will reset to zero at the 10:00 mark of each half. Instead of the current foul limits for a half—seven team fouls before the opposing team shoots one-and-one after every foul and 10 team fouls before the opposition shoots two free throws after every foul—the limit for team fouls will be four for each 10-minute period.

Once a team reaches that limit, every personal or technical foul it commits will result in two free throws for the opposing team. If a game goes to overtime, the foul limit will be three for each 5-minute extra period.

I'll be curious to see if this speeds up the game? or slows it down?   Sounds like more free-throw attempts to me.

VUSWIM08-12

I got seats in section 134 with a buddy of mine...anyone have seats close??

bbtds

Won't be at the game. My schedule just couldn't be worked out. Have to be back in Indy by 4:00 p.m. eastern for a meeting that will most likely last an hour or possibly longer.