• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Facilities

Started by vu72, March 09, 2012, 09:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

The rich get richer! Coach Self doesn't like the housing facilities for his players. Therefore, the University of Kansas Regents has approved $17.5 million to build a dorm for basketball players:

The Kansas Board of Regents on Wednesday approved a University of Kansas proposal to build a $17.5 million apartment complex that would house as many as 32 of the school's men's and women's basketball players....

"Everybody will have their own take," Coach Self said. "But housing, where our student-athletes reside now, is way, way, way, way behind what the competitors would be housing their student-athletes in, in a big way."      http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/15/4754823/regents-approve-175-million-ku.html

valpo64

And who said big time college athletic programs don't run their respective schools...with preferred housing and soon-to-be extra stipends, these big schools will compete on how they can give their respective athletes honorary degrees for their athletic prowess.  What a joke!

covufan

I think the SEC has long (or long ago) had special dorms for their athletes, especially the football team.  Some of these dorms even had their own libraries - with some of the books not having been colored yet.  ;)

ml2

It used to be a common practice at many of the larger schools to have special dorms for student-athletes. Then the NCAA instituted a rule (mentioned in the article) that no dorm could comprise more than 50% student-athletes. For a while that kept the practice in check. Now it seems that things have reached the point at some of the wealthiest schools that the rule no longer has a deterring effect, as they are simply willing to build the facility twice as large as they need for their athletes and then fill half of it with non-athletes. Although still not general students, but rather non-athletes working with the athletic department, ie. student trainers, managers etc.

HC

Pretty soon we won't be able to call these "student" athletes amateurs.

StlVUFan

The crumbs that fall from the master's table will soon become much scarcer, and those who do find those crumbs will be "punished" for it.

Jim Delaney and his ilk want to keep everyone under the same tent, for the good of all.  Why should "all" appreciate the gesture, I ask you?

The Big Ten, SEC, Pac-12, Big 12, ACC can all take a flying leap for all I care.

VULB#62

The way things are going for the HAVES (and the NCAA leadership that kowtows to them), does anyone else think that in the not too distant future that the "Big Dance" will morph into a, say, 48 team NCAA "BCS-like" Tournament, and that all other "D-I" teams will play in a lesser tournament (or no NCAA tournament at all -- just sponsored stuff like the NIT and CXX, etc.) with minimal TV coverage and a smaller pot to share?  I certainly do and it saddens me.

StlVUFan

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 18, 2014, 08:19:17 PM
The way things are going for the HAVES (and the NCAA leadership that kowtows to them), does anyone else think that in the not too distant future that the "Big Dance" will morph into a, say, 48 team NCAA "BCS-like" Tournament, and that all other "D-I" teams will play in a lesser tournament (or no NCAA tournament at all -- just sponsored stuff like the NIT and CXX, etc.) with minimal TV coverage and a smaller pot to share?  I certainly do and it saddens me.
It could happen right now if they wanted it and if they could sell it to the networks.  I don't think they want it, and I don't think they can sell it.

As long as the ratings are high for March Madness the way it is, it will stay the way it is.

By the way, there's something I'm not quite clear on: it sounds like the NCAA will still prevent all the other conferences from paying this "stipend" to their athletes, but I kind of assumed we're only talking about the Power 5 because they're the only ones who could afford it.  Legally, are they going to be only ones *allowed* to offer it?

And what, if anything, do the mid-major portion of the 58% yea votes get out of this obscenity?

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

VU2014

A youtube video of a tour of the Sacramento Kings Trainings facilities and some of the new tech/equipment. I am honestly in awe of how nice that equipment and those facilities are. Really interesting.

Would be nice to see Valpo step into the 21st century in terms of facilities... (not even an exaggeration).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6duWB2ewq9U

hailcrusaders

Milwaukee is playing their final two home games this year in the Klotsche Center because there's a circus at the Panther Arena. Then again, if you ask the Milwaukee fans, they'll tell you that the real clown show is in their athletic department.

As much as we complain about the ARC, I don't think we'll ever be kicked out by a circus.
#CrusadersForever

VU2014

The ARC is what it is. It's an old lackluster building that is a tough place for opposing teams to play. At least we have the 'tough place to play' thing with the ARC. Its not going to change till some wealthy write a check.

I am talking about the actually training and strength/conditioning facilities need to enter the 21st century. They need an upgrade badly.

VULB#62

Can't speak about any of the other stuff but the weight training center in Kroenke, I believe, is pretty SOTA and is available to other sports not just FB.

Speaking of that, both our bigs need to see a lot of that in the next 6 months -- both for their confidence as well as their ability to contain opponent bigs who consistentently work their way underneath because our kids don't have the  muscle or heft to stop them. Also got to increase their leaping ability to alter shots. Still missing Vashil  :(. Hope they can get him back on campus to work these kids out.

valpopal

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 26, 2017, 04:10:16 PM
Can't speak about any of the other stuff but the weight training center in Kroenke, I believe, is pretty SOTA and is available to other sports not just FB.

Speaking of that, both our bigs need to see a lot of that in the next 6 months -- both for their confidence as well as their ability to contain opponent bigs who consistentently work their way underneath because our kids don't have the  muscle or heft to stop them. Also got to increase their leaping ability to alter shots. Still missing Vashil  :( . Hope they can get him back on campus to work these kids out.

Yes, but remember Vashil his freshman year  :o  and use that as hope that this year's freshmen bigs, who are both ahead of Vashil at the same time in his career, can make as much progress as he did.

VULB#62

VU2014

QuoteSpeaking of that, both our bigs need to see a lot of that in the next 6 months

Yes. Definitely. Also Micah badly needs to eat and lift everything in site. Micah's frame is never going to pack tons of muscle like Max but he will definitely get stronger the next 3 years. He'll be able to absorb contact when driving to the hoop more and also be easier fighting threw screens

I feel bad for Smits because he had a tough break with the ankle injury last season that he had to deal with rehabbing. Really sapped his ability to lift and train I'm guessing. Going into last season I think he looked a little stronger then he did this whole season. He will get stronger and it will for sure help him defensively and offensive when he's working in the post. I actually think this upcoming offseason will be very positive for Smits can work on his foot work and just get stronger.

valpopal

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I am told the university is seriously pursuing offering naming rights for the ARC or portions of the ARC, which I believe is a good idea and could lead to additional funding as well as better facilities. 

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on March 27, 2017, 02:21:26 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I am told the university is seriously pursuing offering naming rights for the ARC or portions of the ARC, which I believe is a good idea and could lead to additional funding as well as better facilities. 

Not sure how Noah will feel about this.   ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

I wonder what the Athletic Department could fetch for naming right of the ARC or 'different portions of the ARC'?

I know South Dakota's brand new Athletics Center that cost $66M cost, they sold naming rights to the building and then also different parts of the building.

"VERMILLION, S.D.—University of South Dakota's new 6,000-seat arena set to open ahead of the 2016-17 academic year will be named Sanford Coyote Sports Center. Sanford Health secured the naming rights to the new facility after its $20 million donation launched the development of an arena, a science, health and research lab, and an outdoor track and soccer complex back in 2012."

http://www.goyotes.com/news/2016/4/12/general-new-arena-to-be-named-sanford-coyote-sports-center.aspx?path=general

"Major private financial contributors that helped make the new facility possible include CorTrust Bank, which provided a $1.5 million investment, First Bank & Trust, which made a $500,000 donation to USD for naming rights to the new soccer complex, and Sanford Health, which provided a $20 million donation in 2012 to help launch the improvements to the university's athletic facilities."
http://www.plaintalk.net/local_news/article_cebf538c-6bc5-11e6-8ef2-2ff7794e1ab1.html

valpo84

vu2014, please see p. 25 of "Valpo to be visited by MVC..." for post by valpo84 about "naming rights" and their potential values.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

covufan

Quote from: valpo84 on March 27, 2017, 04:29:12 PM
vu2014, please see p. 25 of "Valpo to be visited by MVC..." for post by valpo84 about "naming rights" and their potential values.

Quote from: valpo84 on February 02, 2017, 01:43:40 PMNaming rights are helpful if we have an expansion/renovation project available. And, they are one of many funding sources for renovation. However, they may not be as lucrative or available as you all might believe.  The below articles show some deals.  Location/marketability of an arena is a critical component -- what are you selling and how is it valuable to the entity buying the rights.  Naming rights deals are also not in high demand by advertisers/marketers unless the terms and benefits provide you with the value you are spending; or if you have a strong tie to the university or cause. Does the sponsor know how to maximize the value -- interactive, direct. consumer base it desires, integrated marketing, etc.? In 15 minutes of googling, here are a few articles and suppositions:

1. US Steel Yard in Gary (baseball park -- 50 dates a year) has done 2 10 year deals in its existence with US Steel.  The most recent 10 years $2.3 million.  So about $230,000 per year.

2. Resch Center Green Bay appears to have been around $4.875 million in 2002 when built.  Additional terms were not quickly located, but this is a nearly 10,000 arena in a mid-sized town and an arena with a broader reach. Also, party providing funds (Mr. Resch) also had civic pride as a motivating factor.

3. Ford Center Evansville was $4.2 for 10 years.  It is also the primary arena for a city somewhat like GB.

http://archive.courierpress.com/features/arena-to-be-named-ford-center-in-42-million-deal--poll-video-ep-445265469-324567251.html

4. Nutter Center at Wright State looks like about $2.8 million but exact terms weren't found.  A more recent article says with financial issues at WSU, they are looking for $1 million for naming rights -- how long those would be for not discussed.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/nutter-center-naming-rights-among-possible-wsu-revenue-streams/zknAq7owQjkt2xjMgc4nnJ/

Experience has shown most deals are 10 years and vary in value based on size of arena/park, level of athletic competitions, size of the city/metro area and marketability in general of the occupants of the facility. 

http://www.sportsvenues.com/rsv.php?menu=names

Valpo is not a major regional draw or advertiser, is limited in TV exposure and the arena/city are not that big.  The ARC is not the main venue or even a competing venue for events outside of basketball in the area.  It doesn't host broader events, except Lutheran hoop tourney and the once in a blue moon concert or Phi Delt Boxing matches.  Not to be a rain cloud, but unless you found someone like Gus who wants to put his name on the side or his company's then options are limited. Thrivent (f/n/a AAL) has been a natural fit, but someone needs to put together the marketing benefits analysis on why they should. 

VULB#62

If it comes down to a portion of the ARC, I'd sell the name of the arena.  Something like "Welcome to  Thrivent Arena on the campus of Valparaiso University....... yada yada" would receive numerous mentions during ESPN games both regional as well as the occasional national broadcasts and would give that sponsor their biggest bang for the buck.  It would also give the university additional naming rights options to sell with the other parts of the ARC (but I wouln't think the ensuing publicity and brand exposure would be much  :( ).

wh

Inexplicably, over the past 3-4 years the university has eliminated every general parking area and all on-street parking in every direction surrounding the ARC, rendering it the most difficult-to-access sports venue I personally have ever encountered - anywhere, any sport, any level.

West:
• The new sorority row has eliminated the vacant lots that provided dozens of parking spots for basketball attendees for many years.
• "No parking" signs were placed on Union Street when the sororities were finished, eliminating numerous parking spots accessed by basketball attendees for generations.
• Parking on the north side of Monroe was eliminated in the middle of this year's bb season, wiping out a block-long area of desperately needed public parking for basketball games.
• As a result of these changes, parking on the south side of Monroe and both sides of Brown is now jammed with cars day and night, eliminating even more parking availability for basketball attendees.

North:

• The former "tennis court" parking lot was eliminated when the track was built, eliminating dozens of parking spots.

East:

• 4 or 5 years ago parking on both sides of McIntyre Court was designated "resident parking only (by permit), eliminating numerous parking spots.
• The parking area in front of the old bookstore has been designated handicap only. By the way, it is marked by an unlighted temporary ground-level sign, and is a constant source of confusion for people desperately searching for general parking. It is also the only area anywhere close to the ARC designated for handicap parking and is always jam packed, meaning some number of handicap vehicles are out of luck.
• The only remaining available parking to the east are the parking lots adjacent to the softball field, a quarter to a half mile away.

South:

• The parking lot across the street from the ARC used to provide prime general parking for early arrivers, but no longer. The first 2 rows have been roped off and designated as "Gold Parking" only, a premium add-on option for season ticket holders. The rest of the lot is jammed before 6p with adjacent dorm parkers, sorority parkers, and who knows who else. I can personally attest to this, as I intentionally came at 6p at the last 2 home games, and was told by a university police officer at the entrance to the lot that it was full. By the way, a police car is always there with lights flashing. This adds to the confusion as people looking for parking naturally gravitate to the flashing lights, thinking the cop is there to direct them in, only to be shooed away. As for the new restricted rows - often no more than half full.

So where are the general admission and regular season ticket holders and casual attendees expected to park?  Not the old hospital parking garage. That's closed and the entrances barricaded. That leaves the parking area to the immediate south of the garage and a limited number of spots across the street to the south. Of course, neither of those lots are close to the ARC, just like the lots adjacent to the softball field are no where close.

Oh, how about the parking next to the building on the west and north sides. All reserved exclusively for Athletic Department staff, university president and trustees, high dollar donors, and players.

To put this in perspective, picture your local Walmart with the best parking spots up against the building reserved for corporate officials who almost never use them and every employee from the store manager down to the janitor. Picture the store parking lot full of cars from adjacent apartment buildings that don't have their own parking. Picture a security guard at the entrance of the "Walmart" parking lot, directing cars to parking lots belonging to other businesses from 1-4 blocks away.

Then picture a group of people with strong ties to that particular Walmart from days gone by wondering on a message board why the customer base has fallen so dramatically in recent times, when the store's products are as good or better than they've ever been. And then proposing solutions like "they need to modernize the inside of the building" or "they need to do a better job of marketing," or "they need to make the building bigger" or "they shouldn't make the building bigger until more customers start showing up." 

Thus is the 800 pound gorilla no one is talking about. What is perceived as an outdated college basketball venue in need of updating is more accurately a completely landlocked, outdated college basketball venue in desperate need of easy-access parking that the university has either eliminated or repurposed for other needs.

FieldGoodie05

Parking has been a huge problem since the sorority houses were built.  Couldn't agree more.  This dissuades locals with young families or some older townies from making the Mid-January/Feb trek from far away parking spots.  Heck, it even makes me double think games with the classic 20 degrees with 15 mph winds.  It's a B _ _ _ H.

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on March 27, 2017, 02:57:44 PM

Not sure how Noah will feel about this.   ;D

The Morton Salt ARC "when it rains it pours"

usc4valpo

Perhaps we need to talk to the Raiders and learn. ;) OK, bad line. I am getting cynical on the NFL.

I think a system analysis on what is required should be completed, rather than making decisions on emotion.  What are the universities needs and from that what are the goals and cocncepts to upgrade the ARC?