• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Team

Started by IndyValpo, November 15, 2013, 12:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

Got to have leadership. Our senior won't grab the reigns. Our best floor leader is Carr, and she's sidelined right now.

IndyValpo

We played much better today.  We did, however, finish the game like a team that did not know how to win. Which by the way, is where we are at.

I was pretty sure I would have to eat my "no win" on the schedule post from earlier this week. I was hopeful, but.....perhaps vs. Chicago State who gave IUPUI a better game than we did today.

KL31NY

Can anyone who has had more time to watch this team explain our defensive strategy or at least why give up so many points? I looked up this fact (disclaimers: near midnight after a long week and I'm tired but hopefully it's accurate, plus I decided to do this Dan Patrick style because I love the DP Show and its near midnight after a long work week and I'm tired)

STAT OF THE DAY! STAT OF THE DAY! ... STAT OF THE DAY! STAT OF THE DAY! HERE COMES THE STAT OF THE DAY!

This year, the Valpo women's basketball team has allowed at least 78 points in its first five games, all losses. The last five-game stretch that Valpo allowed 78 or more came in late January through mid February of 1994 under head coach Dave Wolter in the final season before the Keith Freeman era.

STAT OF THE DAY! STAT OF THE DAY! ... STAT OF THE DAY! STAT OF THE DAY! HERE COMES THE STAT OF THE DAY!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

jack

Defensively, we aren't stepping out on their shooters. TTU had far too many uncontested 3's in this game. Offensively, at times it looks like there is no plan. It's pretty helter skelter. There were several times where we had Karungi and Horton in together, and we would put up a 3 with both of them 12ft out, and Miller the only player underneath to try an rebound a miss. What the heck kind of offensive scheme is that? We just go through long stretches where we don't play smart at all. Luckily, we were knocking down some 3s or this one would have been as ugly as the past 3 have been.

valpo4life

When the team only shoots 35% from the field and turns it over 20 times a game, you're going to give up a lot of fast breaks which leads to more points. But even in the half court the defensive looks bad, Richardson may be the worst defensive player I have ever seen. Which is sad because she has the ability to be good on that end of the court but does not try hard enough. Offensively, the scheme is fine. You should see this offense ran against the Men's team by St. Louis in a couple weeks here, I also remember seeing a successful New Mexico team run this offense. So don't question the scheme at all. You just need good players to do it, and we just don't have very good players (thanks Freeman). And when that's the case, you need to be smart, which doesn't seem to be the case based on the previous game. This year is just going to be a struggle, next year when Tracey has 6 new faces and the majority of the team is "hers", then you can judge her. But as of now, the players just aren't getting it done.

jack

You're implying that a scheme suited for the men's squad should be equally suited for the women's squad. That just isn't so. The women's squad doesn't have the horses to play the same scheme. I see no scenario in the women's game where, your 2 biggest players are miles away from the basket when your chucking up 3s, which leaves your smallest player on the floor underneath to try and rebound. Please explain this logic to me.
The women's squad is depleated right now, with no true floor leader out there. The coaching staff has got to implement a plan to maximize what they do have, which shouldn't include both Karungi and Horton being out passed the free throw line when we're chucking up 3s. This didn't just happen once, but several times. I've put my time in on the floor, and on the bench, and see no scenario where this would equate to success.

bbtds

I have to agree with jack on this one. If you don't have the players for your offensive scheme then it's time to change the offensive scheme.

valpo4life

Guys or Girls, basketball is still the same sport. There's just a difference in athletic ability. It doesn't matter if you're a guy or a girl, a ball screen is a ball screen. In my opinion, changing offensive scheme at this point in the season does not make sense. You're going to look bad no matter what you do turning it over 20 times a game. Trying to teach something new to the players after a year and a half of learning would make things even worse than what they are right now. We all knew this team was going to struggle, so why not stick with it, learn from it, and get better?

jack

Seems like a bit of a defeatist approach. You have to adapt to the hand you are dealt. Again, please explain a scenario where your 2 biggest players are the 2 farthest from the bucket when you are chucking 3s. Just one example of how this fits into your scheme. And to clarify, there is absolutely no comparison between the mens and ladies games. Coached both. Not even close.

IndyValpo

Quote from: KL31NY on November 24, 2013, 11:41:01 PMCan anyone who has had more time to watch this team explain our defensive strategy or at least why give up so many points?

This one is pretty easy, we are not very good on defense in part because we have little size. Our forwards, Weidemann, Dean and Hamlet are guards playing out of position defensively. Not a lot we can do about that.

Quote from: jack on November 25, 2013, 06:52:22 AMOffensively, at times it looks like there is no plan. It's pretty helter skelter. There were several times where we had Karungi and Horton in together
I am sure that happened but most of the time we seem to try to feed Karungi inside if possible. If not take a 3 or more likely drive.  I do not really have a problem with this as we appear to be an very good FT shooting team with the possible exception of Karungi.

jack

Quote from: IndyValpo on November 26, 2013, 08:23:09 AM
Quote from: KL31NY on November 24, 2013, 11:41:01 PMCan anyone who has had more time to watch this team explain our defensive strategy or at least why give up so many points?

This one is pretty easy, we are not very good on defense in part because we have little size. Our forwards, Weidemann, Carr and Hamlet are guards playing out of position defensively. Not a lot we can do about that.

Quote from: jack on November 25, 2013, 06:52:22 AMOffensively, at times it looks like there is no plan. It's pretty helter skelter. There were several times where we had Karungi and Horton in together
I am sure that happened but most of the time we seem to try to feed Karungi inside if possible. If not take a 3 or more likely drive.  I do not really have a problem with this as we appear to be an very good FT shooting team with the possible exception of Karungi.

A bit confused by this one. I wouldn't clasify Hamlet as a guard, Carr isn't even playing, an since she's been here, I have never seen her playing the forward position. Am I missing something here?

IndyValpo

Quote from: jack on November 26, 2013, 11:12:24 AMA bit confused by this one. I wouldn't clasify Hamlet as a guard, Carr isn't even playing, an since she's been here, I have never seen her playing the forward position. Am I missing something here?

Sorry meant Dean...

valpopal

Congratulations to Lexi Miller on her selection to the FIU Thanksgiving Classic all-tournament team!

valpotx

They straight up blew another game, unfortunately.  Up 14 with 10 minutes left in the game
"Don't mess with Texas"

jack

Quote from: valpotx on December 02, 2013, 12:26:07 AM
They straight up blew another game, unfortunately.  Up 14 with 10 minutes left in the game

I'm afraid until one of our active players decides to take the leadership roll out on the floor, we will see more games like this. We got up 14 and instead of playing to win, we played not to lose. That won't get it done. It's like these ladies are out there waiting for someone to take charge of the floor. So who's it going to be??

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: jack on December 03, 2013, 02:46:45 PMI'm afraid until one of our active players decides to take the leadership roll out on the floor
i sherwood like to see that!

feelsbetter.gif
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 03, 2013, 03:34:21 PM
Quote from: jack on December 03, 2013, 02:46:45 PMI'm afraid until one of our active players decides to take the leadership roll out on the floor
i sherwood like to see that!

feelsbetter.gif

That kind of reminds me of when Gilligan used to tumble out of his hammock on that island. Only one couldn't see up his schwartz. Sherwood make one laugh.

IndyValpo

Friday could be the day...0-7 Valpo vs. 1-6 Chicago State played at Toledo.  We are 34-6 lifetime against the CSU.

valpotx

Lord help us if we lose to Chicago State...
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

I'm hoping the underclassmen are learning something about leadership so that it can be applied to next season. We seem to have a bunch of really smart students. Let's hope they use that to spin this season in a positive direction.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

jack

This would be a great year for the underclassmen to get some valuable experience under their belts. Even though we are losing, I can see some improvement in some players that saw little floor time last year. That will benefit us well next season.

KL31NY

Experience is great, and hopefully a couple wins will help things along. Especially after the Montana State loss, some positive results in the near future could build some great positive momentum.

Food for fought, two former Valpo forwards are doing very well at other schools. Tabithia Gerardot is a big part of the 8-0 Indiana Hoosiers (best start in about two decades). Mallory Ladd is the MVC's rebounding leader at Evansville and is in the top ten for scoring, free throw shooting. That led me to think of how our list of true post players has significantly dwindled...

2011-12 forwards/centers: So. Stefanie Lang, So. Tabitha Gerardot, So. Liz Horton, Jr. Gina Lange, So. Maegen Callaway, R-Sr. Ashley Varner, Fr. Mallory Ladd
2012-13 forwards/centers: Jr. Tabitha Gerardot, Jr. Liz Horton, Sr. Gina Lange, R-So. Maegen Callaway
2013-14 forwards/centers: Sr. Liz Horton, Jr. Sharon Karungi, So. Haylee Thompson (redshirt)
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

vu72

Quote from: KL31NY on December 05, 2013, 04:34:14 PM
Experience is great, and hopefully a couple wins will help things along. Especially after the Montana State loss, some positive results in the near future could build some great positive momentum.

Food for fought, two former Valpo forwards are doing very well at other schools. Tabithia Gerardot is a big part of the 8-0 Indiana Hoosiers (best start in about two decades). Mallory Ladd is the MVC's rebounding leader at Evansville and is in the top ten for scoring, free throw shooting. That led me to think of how our list of true post players has significantly dwindled...

2011-12 forwards/centers: So. Stefanie Lang, So. Tabitha Gerardot, So. Liz Horton, Jr. Gina Lange, So. Maegen Callaway, R-Sr. Ashley Varner, Fr. Mallory Ladd
2012-13 forwards/centers: Jr. Tabitha Gerardot, Jr. Liz Horton, Sr. Gina Lange, R-So. Maegen Callaway
2013-14 forwards/centers: Sr. Liz Horton, Jr. Sharon Karungi, So. Haylee Thompson (redshirt)

As I haven't really followed the women's team I may be way off, but I was friends with Keith Freeman.  It just seems like this situation is eerily similar to the football team.  We bring in a new coach because the old one wasn't performing sufficiently well.  The old one was burdened with injuries in his last year which didn't help.  So here comes the new one with what must be considered very solid talent left over by Keith.  What happens? Players leave, more injuries and in her second year people must start to be worried.  I am.

Keith was an excellent recruiter as he was consistently bringing in Indiana All Stars and out of state people from Minnesota and other states.  Wonder how much rope the new coach will be given.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 22, 2013, 10:26:25 AM
Looking back on the last preseason, last season, and the past preseason going into this season, I am wondering why this program has had a difficult time attracting top shelf talent and depth in the first two recruiting classes.  Jack, and a number of you who are closer to the  program, you might have some insight into this.  Usually, when a new coach is brought in to rejuvenate a program, one of the first things that occurs is a flurry of recruiting activity.  Without question, talent and depth are keys to wins.  Seems like we are short in both departments and the long-term outlook doesn't seem too bright either.  I also recall that some of the previous regime's players were encouraged to leave and wound up doing quite well in other programs while we seem to be becoming even less competitive as Freeman's players graduate or leave.  Just wondering.  Maybe I'm ultra sensitive to this because of my loyalty to Valpo FB, hate to say this, and could be all wet on this speculation, but I kind of zeroed in on one post game quote "(Our players) are in (the locker room) figuring out a way to grow up and be the basketball players they came to Valparaiso University to be" and can't help thinking about the criticism that was leveled at Carlson in this board, almost from the beginning, about the perception that the fault lay with the players, not the coaching.

72, we seem to be reading from pages of the same book.  It's eerie.  However, the difference might be that, in football, the level of recruits seemed to improve, but the on-field performance never reflected the talent.  Yet some parallels exist -- especially the handling of players , regardles of talent, left over from the previous recruiting classes.  [Acknowledged qualification: From many miles away and only superficially familair with actual game scenarios]  I don't sense a great coach-to-player/player-to-coach chemistry.  I'm not saying you always must have a coach/player bond, but in tough times it can make the difference in close games. Time will tell, but I'm still unconvinced that this staff can recruit players for this level of play.

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 05, 2013, 07:40:44 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on November 22, 2013, 10:26:25 AMLooking back on the last preseason, last season, and the past preseason going into this season, I am wondering why this program has had a difficult time attracting top shelf talent and depth in the first two recruiting classes.  Jack, and a number of you who are closer to the  program, you might have some insight into this.  Usually, when a new coach is brought in to rejuvenate a program, one of the first things that occurs is a flurry of recruiting activity.  Without question, talent and depth are keys to wins.  Seems like we are short in both departments and the long-term outlook doesn't seem too bright either.  I also recall that some of the previous regime's players were encouraged to leave and wound up doing quite well in other programs while we seem to be becoming even less competitive as Freeman's players graduate or leave.  Just wondering.  Maybe I'm ultra sensitive to this because of my loyalty to Valpo FB, hate to say this, and could be all wet on this speculation, but I kind of zeroed in on one post game quote "(Our players) are in (the locker room) figuring out a way to grow up and be the basketball players they came to Valparaiso University to be" and can't help thinking about the criticism that was leveled at Carlson in this board, almost from the beginning, about the perception that the fault lay with the players, not the coaching.
72, we seem to be reading from pages of the same book.  It's eerie.  However, the difference might be that, in football, the level of recruits seemed to improve, but the on-field performance never reflected the talent.  Yet some parallels exist -- especially the handling of players , regardles of talent, left over from the previous recruiting classes.  [Acknowledged qualification: From many miles away and only superficially familair with actual game scenarios]  I don't sense a great coach-to-player/player-to-coach chemistry.  I'm not saying you always must have a coach/player bond, but in tough times it can make the difference in close games. Time will tell, but I'm still unconvinced that this staff can recruit players for this level of play.
I say give Coach Dorow a chance to recruit better players because I do think she hasn't had the players she really wants. If in 1 or 2 more years there is no improvement in both quality of players and overall record, ZERO improvement, then VU needs to make the tough decision no one wants to make. They gave Carlson 4 years, and it was probably one too many.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann