• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo in the National Rankings

Started by agibson, February 16, 2015, 11:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

I will just throw this hypothetical here because SOS is so important. I will use Warren Nolan numbers.

Lets say we beat Missouri (RPI 199) in November and New Mexico (RPI 165) in December. All else remains the same but we lose to either GB or Oakland in the championship game. With a SOS of 252 are we in with only 4 losses and if so by how much?                                    Or---------

We beat one and lost to one, are we even in the bubble conversation with 5 losses?

vu72

Quote from: a3uge on March 02, 2015, 01:26:59 PM
"Get your tickets online"

* Can only buy tickets to Natalie Cole.

It's things like this that really frustrate me. If we want to be the next Butler or VCU, we should start acting like a legitimate D1 program. No excuse why we can't buy tickets for Saturday online.

They said earlier that they will be available for non-season ticket holders starting tomorrow morning--on line.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Quote from: vu72 on March 02, 2015, 01:43:40 PM

It's things like this that really frustrate me. If we want to be the next Butler or VCU, we should start acting like a legitimate D1 program. No excuse why we can't buy tickets for Saturday online.

They said earlier that they will be available for non-season ticket holders starting tomorrow morning--on line.

Ugh, then why have a link to nothing on the athletics splash page? They just need to get their stuff together.

agibson

Yeah, they've been advertising that fir a -long- time now.  Not sure why we're talking about it on this thread.  But, maybe Tursday when individual game tickets are meant to go on sale.  Or, I'm sure they're happy to help in the box office, by telephone.

agibson

Whoops - I missed some replied.  I assume the package deals, at least, have been available to non-season ticket holders by telephone?  Otherwise, it's been a -really- confusing campaign.

wh

Received the following email on Sat.:

Crusader Fan,
We need your support at the upcoming 2015 Horizon League Men's Basketball Championship at the Athletics-Recreation Center! As Horizon League Regular Season Champions, we will host the 2015 tournament March 6-10. The ARC offers a special atmosphere, and the fans are a key reason why the Crusaders are such a tough team to beat at home.

Come and cheer on the Horizon League Champion Crusaders as they pursue a tournament championship and NCAA Tournament berth.

The Crusaders play in the semifinals Saturday, March 7, at 8:30 p.m., and if victorious, in the championship at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, March 10. The semifinals will be broadcast on ESPNU, and the title game will be live on ESPN.

Tickets for the semifinal games are available at the Valpo Ticket Office beginning Saturday, February 28 during regular Ticket Office hours, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.. This year Valpo Athletics will offer an All-Tournament Pass, which will include all five tournament games at the ARC, as well as a free Horizon League Championship T-Shirt – this is the best deal for the tournament! Individual game tickets will be available starting Tuesday, March 3.

It's a great time to be a Crusader basketball fan. Come out and join us in supporting the team on our home floor—don't miss out!

For tickets or more information call the Valpo Ticket Office at 1.877.MY.VU.TIX

You might find it easier to call than order on-line.  They are all staffed-up for this, will take your credit card over the phone, and place your tickets in will-call.

crusadermoe

Doesn't excuse the lack of good guidance on the web.   How do expand the base of interested alumni without making things easier.

LaPorteAveApostle

It's regrettable
In every way
So regrettable
No way to pay

Want a league champs shirt that clings to me
But surfing on your site does things to me
We've done this before,
We should know the score.

It's regrettable
To lose a chance,
(When) it's so gettable:
Tix to The Dance,

That's why, Valpo, it's incredible
(I don't mean to make case federal; but
some concessions are inedible too.)

[instrumental interlude; NOT "pep band playing 'Hey, Baby'"]

It's regrettable
Not having fans,
It's insensible, like
Not wearing pants,

With the team to beat the spreadable,
Seeing section EE so dead: "aw, bull.  two?"
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

72, Murray State has won 24 games in a row, which gathers you some attention ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 02, 2015, 11:02:25 PM

It's regrettable
In every way
So regrettable
No way to pay

Want a league champs shirt that clings to me
But surfing on your site does things to me
We've done this before,
We should know the score.

It's regrettable
To lose a chance,
(When) it's so gettable:
Tix to The Dance,

(I don't mean to make case federal; but
some concessions are inedible too.)

[instrumental interlude; NOT "pep band playing 'Hey, Baby'"]

It's regrettable
Not having fans,
It's insensible, like
Not wearing pants,

With the team to beat the spreadable,
Seeing section EE so dead: "aw, bull.  two?"

Very good, LAA!  My abbreviated fanfic pales in comparison!  ;)

classof2014

When was the last time Valpo beat a team that was ranked at some point during the season?

agibson

Quote from: classof2014 on March 03, 2015, 10:39:25 AM
When was the last time Valpo beat a team that was ranked at some point during the season?

Interesting!  A slight variation on some of the questions that have been kicked around recently?

Is Ole Miss the last team that we beat while they were currently ranked?

But, you're asking for the last time we beat a team that was merely ranked -at some point in the same season-?

Did we manage against Butler?

classof2014

Quote from: agibson on March 03, 2015, 10:53:44 AM
Quote from: classof2014 on March 03, 2015, 10:39:25 AM

Interesting!  A slight variation on some of the questions that have been kicked around recently?

Is Ole Miss the last team that we beat while they were currently ranked?

But, you're asking for the last time we beat a team that was merely ranked -at some point in the same season-?

Did we manage against Butler?

As I think about it the last time probably was when Butler made it to the National Championship game in the 10/11 season. We beat them for the first time in 20 years (I think). Thus they finished the season ranked. I guess I answered my own question...

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: agibson on March 03, 2015, 10:53:44 AMIs Ole Miss the last team that we beat while they were currently ranked?
hard to say...you have to go back to 2004-05 at least, and at that point the results don't post whether they were ranked.

(e.g. no number by Duke, and you have to figure they were ranked!)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 03, 2015, 11:12:39 AM(e.g. no number by Duke, and you have to figure they were ranked!)

We beat Duke?!

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on March 03, 2015, 11:21:55 AM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 03, 2015, 11:12:39 AM(e.g. no number by Duke, and you have to figure they were ranked!)

We beat Duke?!

Valpo has never beaten Duke. We did beat the Dukes, though!   ;)

LaPorteAveApostle

yes they were ranked.  no we did not beat them, nor was it implied.

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on March 02, 2015, 12:39:34 PM
Still getting Votes in Both Polls... and I threw Murray State in...

AP Poll:
25   Murray St   26-4   79
Others receiving votes: Dayton 61, Boise State 53, Oregon 33, St. John's 27, BYU 21, Texas A&M 20, Davidson 18, Georgetown 13, Tulsa 7, San Diego St 7, Colorado St 7, LSU 6, Rhode Island 3, Virginia Commonwealth 3, Valparaiso 2, Stephen F. Austin 2

In the AP, Elton Alexander (Cleveland Plain Dealer) sticks with us.  And, one journalist _adds_ us to his ballot... none other than Dickie V!  For probably the first time ever.  In the week we lose to Detroit, maybe no coincidence?  On his eponymous court, on less.  (I notice he didn't sign "Court".)

He has been ranking Murray State pretty high - maybe he has some sympathy remaining for mid-majors after all.

agibson

Seth Davis' poll for tomorrow, here's his 26+

[tweet]574716866645659648[/tweet]

Not sure what we did to fall so far off his radar.  Since we've not done anything awful lately, presumably we'll stick pick up a couple of votes...  Will be interesting to see how far Murray State falls.

agibson

In the AP we're still getting one vote.  Dickie V is all we've got left!  But, it's better than Murray State.

QuoteAP, Others receiving votes: Oregon 69, Providence 63, Ohio State 40, BYU 18, Michigan St 15, LSU 8, Iowa 7, St. John's 6, San Diego St 3, Stephen F. Austin 2, Valparaiso 1, Dayton 1, North Florida 1, Purdue 1

Receiving four points in the coaches' poll, same as last week.  Murray State's doing a bit better than we are there

QuoteUSA Today Coaches' Poll:     Others receiving votes: Providence 38, Boise State 30, Michigan St 21, Oregon 21, Ohio State 20, Stephen F. Austin 13, Purdue 8, Texas A&M 7, BYU 7, Murray St 6, LSU 6, Texas 6, Dayton 4, Valparaiso 4, Iowa 2

agibson

The available data seem a little fragmentary - I can't seem to get individual ballot info from the AP.

But, we did tick up in both polls

AP,     Others receiving votes: Oregon 91, Providence 62, Xavier 18, Davidson 16, Ohio State 12, Stephen F. Austin 12, Wyoming 6, Boise State 5, LSU 5, BYU 3, Valparaiso 3, Wofford 2, Harvard 2, Murray St 2, Dayton 1, Iowa 1, Purdue 1, Colorado St 1

USA Today Coaches Poll,     Others receiving votes: Virginia Commonwealth 46, Providence 37, San Diego St 18, BYU 11, Stephen F. Austin 9, Davidson 8, Valparaiso 7, Xavier 6, Ohio State 6, Wyoming 5, Boise State 2, Dayton 2, Purdue 1, Murray St 1, Texas 1

On their loss to Michigan State (who re-enters the polls at 23/22) Maryland falls to 12/12.  Almost consistent with a 4 seed.

And, of course, the voters presumably had access to the NCAA brackets when they turned in their polls.  Last of the season for the AP.  One more, post tourney, for the coaches?