• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Tiebreaker Scenario

Started by WiscoCrusader, February 19, 2015, 10:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vusupporter

The only way we have a home game before the championship is if we're the #1 seed.

talksalot

But the third place team plays Friday and Saturday... the 2nd place team only has to play on Saturday... those semi final games are played at the home court of the #1 seed...

If Valpo wins the top seed... the Friday games will be in the ARC   

if Valpo is NOT the top seed... we play in an empty gym somewhere against the winner of one of the Tuesday play in games....

PS... Welcome to the Forum!

StlVUFan

Quote from: covufan on February 19, 2015, 12:00:05 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on February 16, 2015, 12:44:38 PM
My tiebreaker spreadsheet is locked and loaded, ready for bear ... except: still waiting word on just how much Milwaukee will be involved in tie-breaker procedures.  Seems fairly certain they are to be used as a common opponent, should tiebreaker rule 3 be needed, but they may also complicate 3-way ties that they ostensibly participate in.

I was told there will be something from the HL office on this today.

Kyle is right about CSU hosting if they win out, as far as I can tell, but I don't know about GB winning out (and Valpo losing at least once).

I'm sure StlVUFan will be posting info after this weekends games.
On my blog, possibly here.

I tried something new this year, tried to automate a little more, but it's still a long process.  There are a ton of 2-way ties and a few 3-way ties still unresolved, and some of them have to be resolved via RPI.

One thing I'm doing is pretending that Milwaukee is eligible unless it comes to resolving a tie between them and one other team.  I still haven't heard for sure how they're dealing with this.  I figure all of their conference games count for other teams, so we should pretend that they are eligible until all the seeds are determined, then just drop them and move everybody beneath them up one slot.

gamelord

I'm kinda confused by the whole Milwaukee situation. If they are note eligible for the tournament, then won't there only be 8 seeds and #3 doesn't get a single bye anymore? Maybe I missed this post somewhere else.

StlVUFan

Quote from: gamelord on February 20, 2015, 07:22:38 PM
I'm kinda confused by the whole Milwaukee situation. If they are note eligible for the tournament, then won't there only be 8 seeds and #3 doesn't get a single bye anymore? Maybe I missed this post somewhere else.
Yes there will only be 8 teams, but actually it means that 3 AND 4 get a single bye.  5 hosts 8 and 6 hosts 7.

LaPorteAveApostle

Is it me, or is this like the fourth thread to rehash the same scenarios?  (better: scenarii)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

I figured this was the definitive thread.

But, it does have competition from Opponents' Scoreboard or whatever it's called.

agibson

So, like HC said on the other thread, the CSU victory @ UWGB gives us a pretty good shot at a #2 seed consolation prize, if we can't win @CSU.

And, I think it makes it pretty hard for us to fall to the #4 seed.  But, it may still be possible.

Here's a quick go at it:

1)Valpo ends 14-2, #1 seed
2)Valpo ends 13-3, with win at CSU, Valpo #1 seed
3)Valpo ends 13-3, with loss at CSU
                 a)CSU wins @UMW, CSU has tiebreaker with UWGB sweep, Valpo #2 seed
       b)CSU loses @UMW, Valpo #1 seed

4)Valpo ends 12-4
       a)Valpo still takes the #1 seed if we win at CSU
        (we'd have the tiebreaker over CSU with the sweep; that sweep should work as a tiebreaker over either Green Bay or Oakland, as well; and for any three-way tie involving us)

b)If we lose at CSU, CSU's sweep of Green Bay gives them the tiebreaker over us.  Our win over CSU at the ARC gives us the tiebreaker over GB. If Oakland wins out, their sweep at GB would give them the tiebreaker over us.  So, we could be #2 or #3 seed.

5)Valpo ends 11-5
                One of Green Bay or Oakland will have at least 5 losses. We have the tiebreaker over Green Bay with our win over CSU, at the ARC. If Oakland loses @UWGB and ends 11-5, Oakland would have losses to Milwaukee and Detroit, we'd have losses to Wright State and Detroit. It might depend on how Milwaukee gets handled in the tiebreakers, or how Wright State finishes relative to Milwaukee. But _probably_ our sweep of Milwaukee would give us the #3 seed?

wh

Quote from: gamelord on February 20, 2015, 07:22:38 PM

Everything you wanted to know about the tournament bracket, tie breaking procedure, etc. - complete with updated standings:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Horizon_League_Men's_Basketball_Tournament

wh

Something I hadn't considered from the CSU board:

I take that back we clinch #3 seed but not #2 because If we lost to Valpo and Oakland wins out (which means winning at GB) Oakland would get #2 seed

Read more: http://clevelandstatehoops.proboards.com/thread/1053/game-29-green-bay?page=7#ixzz3SMMddEXT

HC

You guys are thinking to hard, make Bill Potter earn his paycheck! Just cheer for a Milwaukee win tomorrow over CSU then Valpo just has to win 2/3.

crusaderjoe

You guys are thinking too hard, make Bill Potter earn his paycheck! Just cheer for a Milwaukee win tomorrow over CSU then Valpo just has to win 2/3 just win out, and then everyone else can worry about this crap.

valpo64

I think my head is going to explode!!!!!!!!    Could someone go over those scenarios one more time?    And again, where does UWM fit it?     LOL                 Just win out  and don't worry...be happy!

Smj

agibson

Well, at 12-2 with the win over WSU that eliminates any 4 seed scenarios, and any Milwaukee seeding confusion as it affects our own seed.

#1, 2, or 3 it is.

And why not 1?

Quote from: agibson on February 20, 2015, 11:56:03 PM
So, like HC said on the other thread, the CSU victory @ UWGB gives us a pretty good shot at a #2 seed consolation prize, if we can't win @CSU.

And, I think it makes it pretty hard for us to fall to the #4 seed.  But, it may still be possible.

Here's a quick go at it:

1)Valpo ends 14-2, #1 seed
2)Valpo ends 13-3, with win at CSU, Valpo #1 seed
3)Valpo ends 13-3, with loss at CSU
                 a)CSU wins @UMW, CSU has tiebreaker with UWGB sweep, Valpo #2 seed
       b)CSU loses @UMW, Valpo #1 seed

4)Valpo ends 12-4
       a)Valpo still takes the #1 seed if we win at CSU
        (we'd have the tiebreaker over CSU with the sweep; that sweep should work as a tiebreaker over either Green Bay or Oakland, as well; and for any three-way tie involving us)

b)If we lose at CSU, CSU's sweep of Green Bay gives them the tiebreaker over us.  Our win over CSU at the ARC gives us the tiebreaker over GB. If Oakland wins out, their sweep at GB would give them the tiebreaker over us.  So, we could be #2 or #3 seed.

Just Sayin

When it comes to RPI, there is no need anymore to wait  for the weekly official NCAA number or use other RPI's that attempt to figure it (mimic) in the same way as the NCAA does. The NCAA now publishes it on a daily basis.

One note of interest since last night's game won by Cleveland State is that Valpo jumped (or ducked to miss the fall) Green Bay by one place in the official RPI.

See:

[http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-rpi]

oklahomamick

If CSU loses today, we just have to win one of the next two?
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

After looking at the rpl I think we lost 3 spots after our win against wsu.
CRUSADERS!!!

vu84v2

Yes. if CSU loses they will have 4 losses and GB would have 4 losses. 1 out of 2 wins for Valpo gives them the regular season title outright. Thus, the CSU-Milwaukee game is a big game. If CSU wins, the Valpo-Detroit game becomes moot for the regular season title since the winner of the CSU-Valpo game would win the regular season title regardless. Of course, winning out for Valpo would be the best scenario for a potential NCAA seeding.

Valpofan00

Anyone have any predictions they'd like to share? Does Milwaukee stamd a chance?

vu84v2

I think Milwaukee has about a 25% chance of winning. They have not played well, but have some good players that could rise to the occasion.

drewsaders11

According to RPIForecast.com, Milwaukee has a 32% chance of winning.

Valpofan00

truth219