• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ CSU, Fri 2/27 9 PM CST ESPNU

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, February 25, 2015, 10:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo4life

Cleveland St. has already had their Senior Night, or Day as it was for them. Their last home game against UIC on a Sunday afternoon served as their Senior Day. Makes sense really. Take that little bit of distraction out of a potentially big matchup. Plus with the game being at 10 PM ET, I imagine it wouldn't be ideal for any families with young children, etc.

a3uge

You usually schedule a bad team for senior night so the post-game ceremony doesn't get too awkward.

valpo84

Ideal for families? This is CSU, no one attends. They are having $1 beer and $1 tacos as their "Hoopy Hour" pregame. Gates open at 8:30 pm. So the few students who attend will clearly have pre-gamed. The general public in C-town has 0 to no interest in the Vikings. It's sad. Akron-Clev may be the worst college hoops area in the country -- decent teams but minimal interest. The MAC tourney does well here but otherwise...

Anyways, should be a decent Valpo contingent (alumni and friends event) and there will be an area for the Valpo contingent at the Hoopy Hour. Any of you Board folks find me and I'll buy you a $1 beer. At least it's not 10cent beer night like the Indians at Cleveland Muni Stadium. BTW our luck in the W(olstein) has not been good.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

covufan

Quote from: valpo84 on February 26, 2015, 01:16:49 PMAny of you Board folks find me and I'll buy you a $1 beer.
How about I send you money for a six pack, and you can buy me a six pack this summer!

vu72

I don't think I have ever heard of a game starting at 10 pm.  6:30 in the morning, yes, but not at 10 at night.  This has to be some concession to ESPN to get the game.  Heck, I'll have to stay up past 11 to watch it!!   :(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on February 26, 2015, 02:01:54 PMHeck, I'll have to stay up past 11 to watch it!!

You're not the only one, you know. Us fans in the ET zone will probably be up way past midnight!  On a Friday! :o

wh

Bryce noted in the WSU postgame that there was a lot going on in reference to senior night activities and distractions related to. I have always wondered if other schools have both pre and postgame activities. The preface stuff would seem to be a huge distraction and disruption of the norm. They introduce the players, cheerleaders, etc. bring them and family members out to center court, present framed jerseys, on and on. Then after the game they bring the players back out, let the players and managers address the croud, Bryce has a group prayer, etc. it's all great stuff but it could all be condensed into a postgame time by eliminating all the redundancy. 

classof2014

Perhaps that 10 pm ET tipoff will be an advantage for Valpo. It'll only feel like 9 and by the time the game ends it won't feel like after midnight. Not a large advantage but if it is a one-possession game perhaps something small like that can have a difference in fatigue towards the end.

valpo4life

Quote from: valpo84 on February 26, 2015, 01:16:49 PM
Ideal for families? This is CSU, no one attends.

For a Senior Night/Day, typically more family members of the seniors attend the game. It doesn't matter what city or state you are in, or who you play for.

talksalot

Here's the ESPN-U TV schedule for Friday night....

5pm (6ET) game is Siena @ Quinnipiac
7pm (8ET) game is Ohio @ Akron
9pm (10ET) game is Valpo at Cleveland State... so you can actually count on this being "Joined in Progress"... expect it to start on ESPN-News....

and the ESPN.GO.COM site has CSU as a 2.0 pt favorite.
RealtimeRPI has us winning 68-67

Valpo89

Quote from: classof2014 on February 26, 2015, 02:29:22 PM
Perhaps that 10 pm ET tipoff will be an advantage for Valpo. It'll only feel like 9 and by the time the game ends it won't feel like after midnight. Not a large advantage but if it is a one-possession game perhaps something small like that can have a difference in fatigue towards the end.
Yeah, right.
Wishful thinking.

talksalot

will CSU draw a crowd for a 10pm tip?...

Reported Crowds for CSU games

UIC 2/15  2,471 - Sunday Afternoon
WSU 2/7  2,733 - Saturday 2pm start
YSU 2/4  1,731 - Wednesday Night
GB 1/31  3,625 - Saturday 2pm start
DET 1/23 2,803 - Friday Night  (6pm CT, 7pm ET Start time)
OAK 1/8  1,593 - Thursday Night

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

I'm still shaking my head about last night.  We thought we were destined to play CSU at their place for all the marbles. Then a totally unexpected gift was laid in our laps, completely out of the blue - the opportunity to close out a game early against a lesser opponent, rendering the do-or-die CSU game meaningless. Things like that seem to fall that way for teams of destiny, and I took it as confirmation that we were exactly that. But even teams of destiny have to close the deal, and we couldn't find a way.

Now Cleveland State believes they are the team of destiny.  Their narrative begins with the bitter disappointment they felt when they unexpectedly lost to a lesser opponent and in turn lost control of their destiny.  Hopes and dreams of a storybook ending by winning the conference championship, on their home court, in the final game of the regular season, on national TV - all shattered. Hosting the conference tournament for the very first time - down the drain.  So, they sit around the TV last night to see their fate decided by their chief adversary - still holding out hope, but only a glimmer.  But then the unexpected happens, as it does for teams of destiny.  Valpo loses!  Coach Waters gathers everyone around and says in a serious voice, "Gentlemen, we have been resurrected from the dead and given new life. This is meant to be. We ARE a team of destiny. We WILL win tomorrow night and we WILL win the tournament.  This is OUR year.  I expect tomorrow will be the best game we have ever played.  Are you with me?  Applause breaks out.  He repeats in a booming voice, "I said ARE - YOU - WITH ME?!"  The room erupts! 

So, how will this story end?  Who will be the team of destiny?

LaPorteAveApostle

apparently

paul oren : kampe :: wh : gary frickin' waters
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 26, 2015, 07:31:10 PM
apparently

paul oren : kampe :: wh : gary frickin' waters

Yep, GW and I have always been pretty close, although I've never been invited to stroke his hair.  ;)

HC

$1 beer $1 tacos tomorrow night they will have a crowd!

Didn't the Indians do the dollar beer thing and it went horribly wrong or am I thinking of a different MlB team?

valporun

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on February 26, 2015, 06:21:25 PMCoach Waters gathers everyone around and says in a serious voice, "Gentlemen, we have been resurrected from the dead and given new life. This is meant to be. We ARE a team of destiny. We WILL win tomorrow night and we WILL win the tournament.  This is OUR year.  I expect tomorrow will be the best game we have ever played.  Are you with me?  Applause breaks out.  He repeats in a booming voice, "I said ARE - YOU - WITH ME?!"  The room erupts! 
seriously this is like borderline fanfic here

amirite guys

78crusader

Don't fret, boys. VU is gonna win this game.

Paul

HC

$.10 a beer that's pretty much $1 nowadays

a3uge

$1 beer night sounds like an awesome/awful idea. Wish the ARC sold beer.

Also off topic but... ???

valpo84

Quote from: talksalot on February 26, 2015, 02:52:57 PM

Reported Crowds for CSU games

UIC 2/15  2,471 - Sunday Afternoon
WSU 2/7  2,733 - Saturday 2pm start
YSU 2/4  1,731 - Wednesday Night
GB 1/31  3,625 - Saturday 2pm start
DET 1/23 2,803 - Friday Night  (6pm CT, 7pm ET Start time)
OAK 1/8  1,593 - Thursday Night

In a 13000 seat arena it feels much less, even with the top sections curtained off.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

oklahomamick

Vegas has us as a 3 point underdog.  I don't remember the last time Vegas gave us points. 
CRUSADERS!!!