• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2014-15 HL Tournament Thread

Started by wh, March 03, 2015, 05:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Quote from: agibson on March 05, 2015, 11:50:31 AM
Quote from: justducky on March 05, 2015, 11:07:02 AMincluding those restricted view seats.

Which are those?  If you get up high enough your view of the _scoreboard_ gets restricted by the tarp.  But, the view of the floor's fine, isn't it?

I always considered the ARC a sort of "no bad seats in the house" venue.

The sound system has been a little wonky in years past, but you see the court OK, no?
First 3 mezzanine rows are not listed for sale because of pedestrian traffic. In a near sellout situation or if you request them they are for sale with the warning that people will be walking in front of you. All of those seats were sold for both Purdue and Butler in 2011.
Quote from: vu72 on March 05, 2015, 11:59:33 AMI expect a sellout. Don't remember when the last time the lower sections were completely sold out with almost three days till tipoff.
Hope you guys are right. Again we would have to go back to those Purdue and Butler games where Purdue might have been a total sellout 10 days in advance and Butler was 2 or 3. At least that is my memory of it.

wh

Quote from: agibson on March 05, 2015, 11:54:59 AM
Quote from: wh on March 05, 2015, 11:50:09 AMfall break, 2 weeks at Christmas, 2 weeks spring break, every holiday known to mankind, personal days, sick days,

The first category comes a bit at the expense of the second category.

I always figured that the long Thanksgiving break (you forgot the week there) and the two-week spring break are a trade-off for skipping basically all the national holidays that fall during the term.  Skipping Labor Day always especially grates.

And, I think most students and faculty have a pretty high threshold for taking a sick day or personal day and skipping or canceling classes.  If students miss, the class goes on without them. It's not so easy to catch up.  Faculty have a certain amount of material they want to cover, and if they miss class they're often tempted to make it up, or cram it the remaining classes.  And, even if you cancel your classes your grading still remains.  Canceling an assignment would be a different scale.

Don't even get me started on grading papers, or all of the other work (much of it delightful, some grinding) that happens outside of the classroom schedule ;)

But, for sure, the academic schedule and way of life is pretty different from others.

Whoops!  I wasn't considering that my comments might be offensive to certain members of the brotherhood. My apologies if you were offended. I'm sure you work very hard and do a great job. I've seen your credentials and the university is extremely fortunate to have you as a member of its esteemed faculty.

sliman

I wouldn't rely too heavily on the online seating charts that show seats sold.  I presume some that are marked sold are really just being held for the other three teams that will be in the semifinals.  Otherwise I don't understand why the top rows of the upper deck would be sold and seats in the lower rows still available.  As for under the basket seating, the student section on the west end seems suitable, but the east end could look better.  Of course, is it better to have a large section on the east end that mirrors the west end then have it appear empty on camera?  The west end isn't full for most games and seldom are there more than a handful of people on the east end.

oklahomamick

This has been on my mind for a little while. 

Ryan and company won back to back season championships.  The first one came when no one expected it.  Despite winning the season championship and hosting they fell short In the final game.  The next year ryan and company were pre-season 1 and won the season.  Then Ryan and company were more seasoned and had a taste the year before of hosting and getting close to the NCAA.  As we know they won the tourney to compliment their season title. 

Are there similarities? 

We won this year kind of a dark horse like Ryan's junior year.  Will we have go through the same path of growing pains before wining the tournament?  We will most likely be predicted pre season 1 next year just like sr. Year of Ryan and the rest of them were when they won the tourney. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpopal

I had some business on campus today, so I stopped by the ARC to see the transformation for the tournament. The first thing you notice walking in the main entrance is the absence of the usual Valpo banners in the lobby, replaced by Horizon League banners. The whole building seems to have Horizon League logos (like the one below) on all the walls. The media room (also below) is prepared for all the stories to be told in the next few days.

I didn't take any pictures of the court because the Cleveland State team was practicing when I was there. However, while I watched them, I noticed the side of the court has been organized as during the past tournament. A media table extends the length of the chairback section, and it takes away what is normally the first three rows of seats. Additional seating has been placed on the end of the court by the concession stand and the Valpo bench, which is likely where the Valpo student section will be. Of course, there are Horizon League signs all around the court as well.

While I was there, the Crusader Club area in the old gym was being set up with tables and chairs for the Saturday rally. I look forward to seeing some of you there. At the box office, some folks were trickling in to purchase tickets, though I believe most of the sales at this point are being done by phone or online with out-of-town fans for other teams. All in all, there seemed to be a "calm before the storm" atmosphere. 

a3uge

[tweet]573528562600448000[/tweet]

Stupid. I imagine in a couple years they'll make everyone wear black "Horizon League" shirts and require the center court logo be covered up. Valpo seems to let itself get pushed around. The league wants us to have a home game, but not an actual home-home game. We seem to face sanctions whenever we host the tournament while the other schools don't have to change anything.

I do think we'll soon see the tournament move to a neutral location soon - probably the renovated State Fair Colosseum in Indy.

vu84v2

Quote from: wh on March 05, 2015, 11:50:09 AMBy the way (and this is nothing new) is the college academic calendar never ceases to amaze me with how much time off students and faculty get - fall break, 2 weeks at Christmas, 2 weeks spring break, every holiday known to mankind, personal days, sick days, and then they're all so exhausted when they crawl to the finish line at the beginning of May they have to take the next 3 months off to recover. Am I jealous?  And before someone asks, no it wasn't that way when I was in school. I walked 2 miles to every class in waste high snow and we went 6 days a week and sometimes Sunday.

While I can understand your thoughts about faculty workload, please remember that the work associated with teaching is only about 40-50% of the workload for a faculty member at a school like Valpo. There are research and publication requirements that take a great deal of time (and posting on this forum does not count). Furthermore, there are other administrative tasks, though these take less time for faculty than teaching and research/publication.

vu84v2

No matter how they decorate the fortress, Valpo needs to defend the fortress. The team did a great job earning the double bye and hosting privileges. Now is the time to defend it. Any games will be close and hard fought - thus the environment can make a huge difference.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on March 05, 2015, 11:50:09 AMI walked 2 miles to every class in waste high
you must have been a pleasure to sit next to at lunch, not just because of the smell but because of the munchies kicking in
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo64

If the HL changes to a neutral site,  the Coliseum in Ft. Wayne should be considered. 

StlVUFan

Quote from: a3uge on March 05, 2015, 02:58:42 PM

Stupid. I imagine in a couple years they'll make everyone wear black "Horizon League" shirts and require the center court logo be covered up. Valpo seems to let itself get pushed around. The league wants us to have a home game, but not an actual home-home game. We seem to face sanctions whenever we host the tournament while the other schools don't have to change anything.
The rules are the same for *everyone*.  How are we being singled out??

I do agree with your underlying point.  I have always said that if the conference is going to hype the "home court" advantage for higher seeds, they shouldn't mitigate it out of ... what, a guilty conscience?  Trying to have their cake and eat it too?  Who knows.

But I don't feel that Valpo is being singled out on this.

a3uge

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 05, 2015, 04:43:04 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 05, 2015, 02:58:42 PM

The rules are the same for *everyone*.  How are we being singled out??

I do agree with your underlying point.  I have always said that if the conference is going to hype the "home court" advantage for higher seeds, they shouldn't mitigate it out of ... what, a guilty conscience?  Trying to have their cake and eat it too?  Who knows.

But I don't feel that Valpo is being singled out on this.

We're the only school that has had the first 3 rows taken away for an absurdly long media table and the only school that has had half of their student section seats taken away. They seemingly invented that rule once Valpo hosted, and hadn't enforced it in the past (Wright State). It just makes zero sense and ends up making everything look ridiculous on TV.

frontrowfan

agreed.  Worked really well in the past...enough lodging. easy access from the interstate and some nice corporate sponsors in the past

wh

Quote from: valpo64 on March 05, 2015, 04:22:06 PM
If the HL changes to a neutral site,  the Coliseum in Ft. Wayne should be considered. 

Quote from: frontrowfan on March 05, 2015, 05:22:52 PM
agreed.  Worked really well in the past...enough lodging. easy access from the interstate and some nice corporate sponsors in the past

The Coliseum is a nice venue and a fairly centralized location.  That said, if the league really wants a neutral location tournament to be a success, it needs to be held in a major "destination" city like Chicago, for example, that has great tourist appeal with the Mag Mile, theaters, concerts, museums, zoos, great restaurants, fabulous lake shore area, Grant Park, etc.  50.2 million people visited Chicago in 2013.  How many visited Fort Wayne - 500?  You need a city that gets fans as excited about the destination as the event.  I have attended numerous conferences, seminars, etc. over the years and the ones i'm most interested in are the ones held in exciting, happening places.  Nothing is less appealing than attending an event and afterward returning to the Super 8 to eat your KFC carryout and watch the same boring TV programs you get at home.

Think of it this way.  This year's tournament will not draw any significant number of fans from any of the participating programs other than Valpo. Would holding it in Ft. Wayne have drawn any more?  Probably not.  All holding it in Ft. Wayne would have done is draw far fewer Valpo fans.  The bottom line is I would hope the HL would think long and hard before changing to a neutral location.  There are many more opportunities for complete failure than rousing success, IMO.

elephtheria47

Each school participating in the tournament gets a designated 'student' section spot (although it's pretty dumb - - not THAT many students travel for the tournament). I just think since our arena is so small that the changes are more obvious than others (if WSU holds 10,000 then splitting students into equal section around the court is a lot less noticable than it would be at the ARC)

HC

I believe the student sections are designated to be the basket basket closest to their teams bench.

Also, a neutral court is a horrible idea.  :twocents:

elephtheria47

The Horizon League is guaranteed a great turnout in the present version of it. If it is held at a neutral location, there is a chance that the place would be empty. There's nothing worse during championship week than watching a game that has noone in attendance. HL has zero ties to Fort Wayne as of right now so that would be a bad choice. Chicago makes some sense however I am not sure you would get great attendance there either - - majority of Chicago would not care and I would guess the majority of people who would travel to chicago, would travel no matter where it is held.

The current version also gives the top 2 teams a great chance of winning the tournament and getting a decent seed in the tournament with a chance of advancing (more tourney wins = more money).

The current format isn't perfect, but it is good. It generates revenue from ticket sales, gets the better/best teams on national audience for title game, and gives the team an award for winning the season.

a3uge

I was being overdramatic when I said they'd probably move the tournament back by their headquarters. They're not that stupid to think they'd make as much money in a big empty stadium.

Anyways, the 2nd media row, although ridiculous, could be a good setup for some courtside seats. We really need to get rid of that stupid track. I'll personally buy underarmor for the three students that use it in the winter. Setting up a permanent camera area in the back and maybe extending the seating back would be ideal.

frontrowfan

I don't agree,  I have traveled to every tournament site since the mid 90s including the Quad Cities , Tulsa, FT Wayne etc.  We typically have a very committed fan base that travels well.   Actually the Tulsa days were quite a bonding experience.  There doesn't have to be big city attractions just enough good housing, good restaurants and a little something to do during the mornings and in the current format between Sat and Tues.   

LaPorteAveApostle

I just want to say how great it is that people who are 'quieter', shall we say, members here are posting more--like elephtheria (as an ex-classicist i highly approve) and frontrowfan (although for the tournament maybe change your name to fourthrowfan?) on this thread as well as others on different threads.

great to have you here.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

justducky

Quote from: elephtheria47 on March 05, 2015, 06:50:26 PMThe Horizon League is guaranteed a great turnout in the present version of it. If it is held at a neutral location, there is a chance that the place would be empty.
Agree

Quote from: a3uge on March 05, 2015, 07:06:08 PMI was being overdramatic when I said they'd probably move the tournament back by their headquarters. They're not that stupid to think they'd make as much money in a big empty stadium.
I have never felt that a neutral site was the best answer. Bu---------------t I have always felt that the combination of home court plus the double bye was excessive maybe counterproductive overkill. Let me try to remember now what the initial logic was again.  So Butler was always good but Butler was always uncomfortable sitting on the bubble, so the HL constructed them a slanted table so that things generally slid their way even when they might not have been the best team going down the stretch. OK! Man were those guys smart! No wonder they left all us dummies behind in their search for intellectual competition!

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 05, 2015, 04:02:05 PM
Quote from: wh on March 05, 2015, 11:50:09 AMI walked 2 miles to every class in waste high
you must have been a pleasure to sit next to at lunch, not just because of the smell but because of the munchies kicking in
Now there is a typo that was certainly wasted--but not by Laporte.

VUfan

How about Renting Hinkle Fieldhouse for a neutral site   ::) the memories

Smj

I need a travel suggestion...   Looking to meet someone in valpo for lunch before the game and we are looking for a decent meal and a pool table...   (Not too far from campus.)   I don't want to take over the thread so feel free to email me.
Shanesmj@yahoo.com

usc4valpo

I agree - Chicago or Milwaukee would be better "neutral" sites for the tournament