• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Silver Linings Dept.

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, March 20, 2015, 10:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

The lineups for the major tournaments in Hawaii and the Bahamas are already set. Alaska no longer gets a good field.

While I could certainly see Bryce finding a good fit someplace, a football dominated school like Mississippi State and Alabama (or Texas) is probably not an ideal situation for an up and coming coach.

What level of commitment are you suggesting? Should other employees at Valpo be considered?

usc4valpo

What I am saying is Valpo needs to provide adequate support (better facilities, more money, more fan support, etc.) if Bryce is going to stay for the long run.  I actually do not think this committment is significant - I am not talking about a 15000 seat arena with sky boxes and open bar. Renovations for the ARC, not just for basketball but for future use, is required.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 21, 2015, 10:53:08 PMI am not talking about a 15000 seat arena with sky boxes and open bar
Well I wasn't either--until you mentioned it...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Vale O. Paradise

While it's easy to identify a thing or two that we don't have that might prompt Bryce to consider leaving, it's also good to remember a thing or two that we do have that would make him think twice about leaving. While the family ties and personal background are pretty clear, we can't do much about that: It's not going to do any more or less in the future to make him want to stay than it's currently doing. A strong returning team is another strong selling point, but that will forever change from year to year.

Maybe it's just the brown-and-gold glow that is lingering after a great season and a really close game in the tournament, but I think the alumni support of Valpo basketball and Valpo in general is something that he must take notice of. He won't play for a fanbase this tightly knit and supportive just anywhere.

With that in mind, I think that we should remember that this is something we do have a little control over. It's something that could increase or decrease over time. Let's make sure he knows he's valued for all the reasons everyone else has already listed in this and other posts. Show him that what he has at Valpo might not be perfect in every way, but in the ways that matter most, it's a great place to be. Drop him an email at bryce.drew@valpo.edu and share your support and send a note of thanks after a great season!

wh

As we all know Bryce's strong Christian faith is indispensably interwoven with his role as coach. I can't picture him going anywhere where he can no longer express his faith with his players or with the public. No more team prayers before and after games, no more saying "we're terifically blessed," no more praying for departing players and managers on senior night, the minions of Satan watching his every move waiting to pounce and "expose" him as a religious bigot, all in the name of fairness, of course. 

The number of universities wIth D-1 major basketball programs where Bryce would not have to check his spiritual values at the door are few and far between. That fact alone may keep Bryce at Valpo before any of the other factors that we all know are important to him - family, etc.

VULB#62

Great post Vale.  I did the emailing thing with FB to Dave, but never thought of that in BB.  Duh!  I will do that tonight!

It's true.  The Valpo fan base shares his values and if he would go to DePaul, for instance, he'd have to deal with intense fans of the Catholic persuasion (whoa!) who are more stereotypically less forgiving  ;)  Kidding! But BIG STATE UNIVERSITIES are "what have you done for me yesterday and today -- forget the future, forget character, integrity, whatever....."  Why, as a basically good person, expose yourself to that S%$#. 

I do think that Bryce will test the waters eventually (but very selectively -- like I think Scott's was a calling, not an $$$ opportunity), but in talking to Bryce on the sidelines during one of the football games this Fall, I felt that he was at home in NWI and a part of his makeup is to challenge the Goliath's as a mid-major and prove that, with good kids (underscore, good kids)  who are talented and motivated, a small school can be part of the national conversation.  It's one challenge to improve an established multi-million $$ program and make a zillion bucks; it's another to take a mid-major, like Valpo, and raise them up into that same pantheon.  Somehow, I think that, like Shaka Smart at VCU, Bryce is listening to a greater call.  Our guy has got his head screwed on straight, and he knows what he wants to accomplish.  And getting Valpo into the national conversation is his goal.   :twocents:

From Ice Age:  "It's what you do in a (our) herd."  And I live by it.

LAA or bbtds or historyman it is now time to supply a Meme or whatever.

bbtds

"He said a meme from Ice Age, you blessed idiot! I think we should pray for you."