• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Apology

Started by 78crusader, March 21, 2015, 04:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Gottlieb and Eagle have been, by far, the worst announcers of the tournament. Not surprised at all that people are complaining about his call. Anderson, Alpert, Nantz, and of course Harlan all do a great job.

valporun

I compare Doug Gottlieb to Kirk Herbstreit. Both overanalyze so they have some kind of point, but it's mostly that the only teams that matter are in the Power 5 conferences that make money for the NCAA and their schools. Gottlieb is so obsessed with himself that he said that Valpo was 9 of 6 from the free throw line, when we were 9 of 16...how do you manage to bumble that, besides not caring about anything more than the dollar signs in your contract for these games.

Ian Eagle is an NBA play by play guy for the Nets, and he's not interesting at all, even with his regular partner of Jim Spanarkel, who worked this tournament with someone else, maybe Verne Lundquist? Either way, some of the broadcast teams CBS hired just need to go. They don't have a clue about the college game, or they just don't care enough to look as though they do enough homework on the college game.

FWalum

Quote from: a3uge on March 23, 2015, 08:31:00 PMGottlieb and Eagle have been, by far, the worst announcers of the tournament. Not surprised at all that people are complaining about his call. Anderson, Alpert, Nantz, and of course Harlan all do a great job.
First let me say that I have watched a fair amount of Maryland this year (Wife originally from DC and all of my inlaws still live there) and was very impressed with Melo Trimble. Extremely poised PG who sees the floor very well and has that uncanny ability to "attract" fouls and get to the line.  He also does an exceptional job on the boards despite not being a great leaper.  That all being said.... if I had to hear one more compliment or "in awe" statement from Gottlieb about Trimble I might have gone insane.  His ringing endorsement of KC (please note sarcasm) and the occasional compliment to Alec not withstanding, I had hoped to hear someing like "boy, that Tevonn Walker is a nice playrer and only a freshman!". Instead I kept hear things like (with surprise in his voice)"the last time Nickerson shot a 3 it hit the other side of the backboard" and "not being much of a shooter, Darien Walker needs to work on setting better screens" or something to that effect. I get the fact that they had a short period of time to review a whole bunch of teams, but come on Doug, a few sincere compliments would have made the game much more watchable as a Valpo fan.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

However, Gottlieb's stint at Notre Dame would be short. During Gottlieb's freshman year, he was charged with stealing credit cards from a roommate and two others and fraudulently charging over $900 to those cards; Gottlieb has since stated that, after paying back the $900, he was allowed to say he was leaving Notre Dame, when in fact he was expelled.

covufan

Quote from: wh on March 24, 2015, 09:40:41 AM
However, Gottlieb's stint at Notre Dame would be short. During Gottlieb's freshman year, he was charged with stealing credit cards from a roommate and two others and fraudulently charging over $900 to those cards; Gottlieb has since stated that, after paying back the $900, he was allowed to say he was leaving Notre Dame, when in fact he was expelled.
What a jerk. 

I guess he has since changed - maybe it was a wake-up call.

valpo64

You are right...Gottlieb is terrible.  Either Melo T is a relative of his or he carries Melo's bags.  It is obvious that he has no use for Valpo and loves the "big schools'  and Maryland.

justducky

Quote from: FWalum on March 24, 2015, 08:12:03 AMif I had to hear one more compliment or "in awe" statement from Gottlieb about Trimble I might have gone insane.  His ringing endorsement of KC (please note sarcasm) and the occasional compliment to Alec not withstanding, I had hoped to hear someing like "boy, that Tevonn Walker is a nice playrer and only a freshman!".
I couldn't remember Gotliebs' name when I called him a meathead but I stand by that definition and think it might be a little too charitable. Many comments on Maryland being young but none on VU.

Speaking of young teams we have already commented on Illinois St returning a strong team that might be a candidate for our schedule but Tulsa I believe has no seniors. Even after the big loss to Murray St they were sitting at either 46 or 48 on Warren Nolan. I wonder if we could consider a trip to Oklahoma for a twofer with those schools coming up here in a return during 16-17?

agibson

Quote from: justducky on March 24, 2015, 02:00:05 PMEven after the big loss to Murray St they were sitting at either 46 or 48 on Warren Nolan.

By way of RPI evolution and further tangenting this thread.

Seems like our RPI's continued to slide, almost day by day, since we stopped playing.  Down to 57 now.

And the Horizon League's has slid as well, maybe?  I've not watched it closely.  Currently Warren Nolan has us way down at 17.  Below West Coast, MVC, NJIT's-Independent-Conference-of-One, MAC, Mountain West, Ivy, Big West, and CUSA.  As well as the rest of the usual suspects.  Ouch.

agibson

On the bright side, Murray State's continuing run in the NIT has pushed them to 46 and given us a top-50 win.  It should maybe be no surprise, but they probably have a reasonable shot at winning the thing.

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on March 24, 2015, 03:45:59 PM
On the bright side, Murray State's continuing run in the NIT has pushed them to 46 and given us a top-50 win.  It should maybe be no surprise, but they probably have a reasonable shot at winning the thing.

Quote from: agibson on March 24, 2015, 03:45:00 PM
Quote from: justducky on March 24, 2015, 02:00:05 PMEven after the big loss to Murray St they were sitting at either 46 or 48 on Warren Nolan.

By way of RPI evolution and further tangenting this thread.

Seems like our RPI's continued to slide, almost day by day, since we stopped playing.  Down to 57 now.

And the Horizon League's has slid as well, maybe?  I've not watched it closely.  Currently Warren Nolan has us way down at 17.  Below West Coast, MVC, NJIT's-Independent-Conference-of-One, MAC, Mountain West, Ivy, Big West, and CUSA.  As well as the rest of the usual suspects.  Ouch.

Eh, RPI at this point is irrelevant.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on March 24, 2015, 03:51:53 PMRPI at this point is irrelevant.
so you're saying "RIP RPI"?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on March 24, 2015, 09:12:18 PMBryce Drew to RPI. Done deal.
because he got tired of the high school gym

and wants someone to splurge on the latest fads in uniformz
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa