• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Coaching Rumors

Started by HC, March 24, 2015, 09:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

Hurley signed a longer and larger contract with Buffalo instead of DePaul after the boosters came together and donated. 
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

[tweet]581255916990791680[/tweet]

oklahomamick

If we lose Bryce and the assistants we can get Kampe   :thumbsup:
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

None of this phases me, as we saw all of this with Mississippi State, Tulsa, and Northwestern.  Each job opportunity had plenty of 'sources' saying that Bryce would accept those jobs if offered, and spoke about him interviewing.  I don't see anything going on currently that is any different than what he did with those other roles.
"Don't mess with Texas"

humbleopinion

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 26, 2015, 12:25:09 PM
Quote from: 78crusader on March 26, 2015, 11:50:20 AMDePaul pays its bball coach over $2 mil per year
Over 3 mil when still paying Wainwrong!

Does anyone else think this is absolutely obscene?  Think about it.  Fundraisers for a "non-profit university" would solicit money from schmucks like me to pay a salary for a coach who makes more in only one year than I will have made in my entire career! 

Something's wrong.
Beamin' Beacons

elephtheria47

Quote from: valpotx on March 27, 2015, 01:29:47 AM
None of this phases me, as we saw all of this with Mississippi State, Tulsa, and Northwestern.  Each job opportunity had plenty of 'sources' saying that Bryce would accept those jobs if offered, and spoke about him interviewing.  I don't see anything going on currently that is any different than what he did with those other roles.

It doesn't? One of these times it'll be true and it will be a blow to the program. The likelihood of replacing a coach you just lost to a major conference with another one on the same level is slim. Then, add in all of the pieces that the coach can take with him (coaches, players, playing style in accordance with the roster, recruiting connections, etc). Can there be successful transitions? Absolutely. But the chance to fall into normalcy is a lot greater than the chance to keep the momentum moving forward. There is likely a time that a team will come calling for Bryce that he can't say no to, but that team is hopefully not Depaul or one of similar caliber.

usc4valpo

ele,

I agree if there is an offer or opportunity so good that you cannot refuse, then it needs to be pursued. If Bryce Drew thinks he can elevate his career with a better opportunity, you wish him well and move forward. Many of us have done this in our careers.

That being said, DePaul is not a better opportunity; the infrastructure is a complete mess, the AD has no clue and the program needs an enema. He would be foolish to take that job.

valpopal

Bryce is also rumored to be on the short list for the University of Tennessee job.

a3uge

Quote from: valpopal on March 27, 2015, 09:22:10 AM
Bryce is also rumored to be on the short list for the University of Tennessee job.

Do you have a link for that?

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on March 27, 2015, 09:27:45 AM

It depends on whether it's an official rumor or a made up rumor.  ;)

talksalot

valpopal

This rumor is from a reporter who covers Tennessee for Inside Tennessee (http://tennessee.scout.com/):

[tweet]581445110107230209[/tweet]

ValpoHoops

Tyndall is out at Tennessee officially. Texas may be open as well. I think Marshall (Wichita State) would jump at Texas, leaving WSU open. That job would draw a ton of interest from coaches of smaller schools.

vu72

Quote from: ValpoHoops on March 27, 2015, 10:15:41 AM
Tyndall is out at Tennessee officially. Texas may be open as well. I think Marshall (Wichita State) would jump at Texas, leaving WSU open. That job would draw a ton of interest from coaches of smaller schools.

Perhaps.  But you would have to live in Wichita!   :o
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpo89

OK, so if Bryce takes the money and runs off - which I don't expect to happen - is Greg Tonagel the logical replacement?
I'd say so.

FWalum

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 27, 2015, 08:58:37 AM
ele,

I agree if there is an offer or opportunity so good that you cannot refuse, then it needs to be pursued. If Bryce Drew thinks he can elevate his career with a better opportunity, you wish him well and move forward. Many of us have done this in our careers.

That being said, DePaul is not a better opportunity; the infrastructure is a complete mess, the AD has no clue and the program needs an enema. He would be foolish to take that job.

Sounds exactly like what we said about Scott and Baylor.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FWalum

Quote from: Valpo89 on March 27, 2015, 10:26:16 AM
OK, so if Bryce takes the money and runs off - which I don't expect to happen - is Greg Tonagel the logical replacement?
I'd say so.
Interested to know what would make you think that to be the case.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

classof2014

If Bryce didn't take the Mississippi State job, why would he take the Tennessee job?

I hate it that he's on the short lists of many different schools but successful coaches at smaller schools tend to make short lists quite easily.

Being on all these short lists does say that Bryce is one of the best coaches in college basketball, he's done a fantastic job recruiting both talent and character. Something that is very rare in the college world. So long as Valpo stays at the rate of success they're having he'll always be on short lists of power conference schools that want to elevate their basketball program to an elite level.

oklahomamick

Why does Bradley want Wardle?  I never understood how Wardle is a hot commodity.  1 HL season championship in 5 years and you can move up to the Valley with a salary increase? 
CRUSADERS!!!

covufan

As well as Ron Hunter:

Potential Tennessee coach candidates: Gregg Marshall (Wichita St. coach), Steve Prohm (Murray St. coach), Michael White (LA Tech coach), Brad Underwood (Stephen F. Austin coach), Ron Hunter (Georgia St. coach), Bryce Drew (Valparaiso coach), Rick Byrd (Belmont coach), Tad Boyle (Colorado coach)

https://collegesportsinfo.com/2015/03/05/2015-college-basketball-coaching-changes/

a3uge

Yeah I don't get the Wardle infatuation - the offensive strategy of his team seems to be to take long 2s just inside the arc. I dont think he's a good in-game coach. He had quite a bit of talent the past three years and has 2 NIT losses and 0 tournament appearances to show for it. His recruiting seems okay - he's been able to find some steals like Sykes and Brown, but again, hasn't had any success to show for it.

agibson

Quote from: valpotx on March 27, 2015, 01:29:47 AMEach job opportunity had plenty of 'sources' saying that Bryce would accept those jobs if offered, and spoke about him interviewing.

Have we had any kind of a source even say that Bryce has gone as far as interviewing?  I don't recall seeing one this year, for any of these positions.

covufan

I've only seen Dane Fife's name mentioned for the Bradley position.  I'm sure he could also do well at DePaul. 

valporun

Wardle may take the job for the sake of more pay, getting into a city that isn't stuck on football 24/7, and has things for he and his family to be able to do. Other than Packer games on fall Sundays, what else is there to do in Green Bay? Bradley isn't going far in the MVC right now, so it could be a better profile for him, as he played his college ball in the Big East with Marquette. Also, his recruiting ability might work better in Peoria than it does GB because the Peoria area has some good basketball players that will stay close to home, plus he has other areas to get to in recruiting that will look at Bradley because of the television exposure the MVC gets in Central Illinois.

a3uge

Quote from: valporun on March 27, 2015, 11:51:25 AM
Wardle may take the job for the sake of more pay, getting into a city that isn't stuck on football 24/7, and has things for he and his family to be able to do. Other than Packer games on fall Sundays, what else is there to do in Green Bay? Bradley isn't going far in the MVC right now, so it could be a better profile for him, as he played his college ball in the Big East with Marquette. Also, his recruiting ability might work better in Peoria than it does GB because the Peoria area has some good basketball players that will stay close to home, plus he has other areas to get to in recruiting that will look at Bradley because of the television exposure the MVC gets in Central Illinois.

Oh for crying out loud it's Peoria, not LA.