• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Brad Stevens leaves Butler to coach Boston Celtics

Started by valpo04, July 03, 2013, 04:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on February 20, 2017, 11:01:04 AM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on February 19, 2017, 11:04:21 PM
Quote from: bbtds on February 19, 2017, 09:44:09 PM
Quote from: zvillehaze on February 19, 2017, 07:35:28 PM
Quote from: setshot on July 05, 2013, 10:43:41 AM
Stevens is a bad fit for Boston. He not only lacks NBA experience,he's also a cultural misfit. The "Hick from French Lick" made it as a player,but a clodhooper Hoosier basketball coach - give me a break.In two or three years from now Stevens will be standing on the banks of the Wabash wishing he was back home again. Book it!

Or coaching in the NBA All-Star game.  A few bold predictions in this thread missed the mark by a bit.

Setshot was a bit of a chain puller about anything about the Midwest back in the day. He was a huge east coast guy.

One thing we did find out about setshot was that he was one of the big donors to the Valpo athletic dept.

Pass away or something?
[/b
Was wondering the same thing.  Those in the athletic dept would know as he was a contributor.  He lived on Hilton Head Island and as I recall he must have been pushing 80 or so.  He was always fun to banter with.  Hope he is just observing and will jump in.!

Setshot (JJ) jumping in is an oxymoron, isn't it?  ;)

justducky

His last post was 6/2/15.

I always enjoyed his take on the Drew nepotism.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: justducky on February 20, 2017, 07:07:50 PM

Sounds like a real fire cracker!  80 years old and posting on forums, great respect.  Would like to have been around with his POV.

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on February 20, 2017, 07:07:50 PM

Maybe he realized that the nepotism issue was off the books when it became evident that Bruce was going to be successful. He had no more time for issues in the FLYOVER states. East Coast is best! Book it!

ml2

I'm sorry to report that setshot passed away in September of 2015. Unfortunately his full obituary is no longer available for viewing online.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/islandpacket/obituary-preview.aspx?n=bruce-calvin-claxton&pid=175984457&referrer=2377

FWalum

I had talked to setshot a little about the fact that he and my father were both KIP's at VU.  I was trying to see if I could find a full version of his obituary and ran across this in the Carrol Daily Times Herald from Carroll, Iowa, which I found interesting.
QuoteMr. and Mrs. O. J. Weltkamp of Coon Rapids announce the engagement of their daughter, Marilyn June, to Bruce Calvin Claxton, son of Mr. and Mrs. John W. Claxton of Teuafly, New Jersey. The bride- elect is a graduate, of Coon Rapids High School and Valparaiso University, Valparaiso, Ind. She now lives in Washington, D. C, where she is employed by the Army Map Service. The prospective bridegroom has just received his separation from the army and is completing his schooling at Valparaiso University, where he will graduate in January. The wedding has been set for the last week in January and will take place in Coon Rapids.
A New Jersey boy meets an Iowa girl at VU. I guess he would have had to say that some good things come from the fly over states!  RIP setshot.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show