• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo to be visited by MVC this week, thoughts?

Started by isu87, March 31, 2013, 06:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is the MVC a good fit for Valpo?  Why?

Yes, because of increased stature that comes to men's basketball.
11 (24.4%)
Yes, because of greater opportunity to keep Bryce around longer.
2 (4.4%)
Yes, because of greater long-term possibility for growth and profit.
15 (33.3%)
Yes, because of some other reason I'm too smart to share with you, Mr. Poll Man.
1 (2.2%)
No, because of the stiff start-up costs (exit fee, loss of Butler NCAA $, travel)
1 (2.2%)
No, because of too much travel for student-athletes
2 (4.4%)
No, because we still don't know what the HL plans to do vis-รก-vis expansion.
7 (15.6%)
No, because of another reason you were too dumb to think of, Polley McPollerson.
6 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: April 13, 2013, 07:03:46 PM

UNIFTW

Quote from: Dave_2010 on May 09, 2017, 09:38:26 AM
Single invite strikes me as a reactionary response to needing a 10th member as opposed to a plan to grow the league post-Creighton/Wichita.

Much like when the HL added Oakland a few years back, Valpo was the obvious choice to get back to 10. A solid choice that probably won't move the needle much.

I was hoping the league would go to 12, but it's final two choices were underwhelming.

Ideally, they have big plans for summer 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't bet on it

agibson

Well, I guess Mark Adams had it right.

I'll admit I was more excited by the prospect of joining with another good team, like a Murray State or a Belmont. But, hopefully this will be good.

After I get over some disappointment at "only one", it should certainly be exciting! I'll be very curious to think of what other sports think of this.

NativeCheesehead

I get the sense the MVC could have added Duke and North Carolina and MVCFans.com would bitch about it.

bigmosmithfan1

This is fantastic news. What a proud day for VU!

QuoteThe Valley announcement says that we got the invitation but no further announcement "pending negotiation of terms"  Huh??

It's a done deal. No way the MVC announces this if it wasn't. Probably just a few loose contractual ends being still being tied up by the lawyers on all sides (VU, HL, MVC), but nothing potentially deal-breaking.

valpotx

Good for us, but also sad that Murray State won't be joining us.  Outside of our 35 point butt-kicking of their program a few years back, we had two really solid games against them.  Hopefully, we see them again soon.

I love all of the predictions pitting Valpo as a 6-8th place finisher this next season.  I look forward to surprising MVC fans, in that we are not just Alec Peters or the Drews...

I am loving this news specific to Valpo.  As long as Dallas Baptist stays in the conference past their current associate member agreement that ends after the 2019-2020 season, I get to see our baseball program each year!  We played them 1-2 seasons ago, and did well.
"Don't mess with Texas"

UNIfan

Welcome to the Valley! Looking forward to some fresh competition.

You guys were still a great add but its more than bittersweet to miss out on what could've been so much more. I really hope there is a good reason. Otherwise, the Valley had an opportunity to be smart and proactive, but instead stuck its tail between its legs and stuck to tradition that's overstayed its welcome.

I for one am not optimistic they are going to do future expansion. That would be a pleasant surprise, and the Valley is not big on those.

VU2014

I really do not wish the Horizon League on Murray State fans. Hopefully the MVC considers Murray State a again next year or maybe they add both Murray & Belmont (eventually).

https://twitter.com/ClifSmart/status/861959323613876226

valpo04

Gonna go ahead and lock this epic thread to try to keep things organized. The discussion continues on VU2014's new thread: http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2848.0