• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Union Street Hoops

Started by Pgmado, October 31, 2016, 10:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nkvu

A wonderfull interview with a great young man. Australia should be very proud of him and Valpo is very fortunate to be associated with him.

VU2014

LaVonte was one of my favorite to watch in his time here. He had an incredible work ethic. Great hearing from LaVonte before he heads over sees to play in the Dutch League.

"Former Valparaiso star LaVonte Dority joins Union Street Hoops to talk about his journey to Valparaiso and what it means to play basketball in the city of Chicago."

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-episode/audio_489d3330-81d3-11e7-837b-83bcf6b9339b.html

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/897502497392152576

oklahomamick

Oren did a great job getting setting up interviews with former Valpo guys.  Always interesting to hear their thoughts post playing career and learning things that us as fans didn't know....

I wonder if some of our international guys will help recruit for Valpo? 

I wonder which former player will be on our bench in a suit? 

I think both are very important.
CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on August 15, 2017, 01:47:13 PMI wonder if some of our international guys will help recruit for Valpo? 
I hope so. After the Skara incident we could use some positive help just to get back to even!
Quote from: oklahomamick on August 15, 2017, 01:47:13 PMI wonder which former player will be on our bench in a suit?
I have no clue but I think I can name one who will not. ::)

VU2014

Quote from: justducky on August 15, 2017, 02:09:59 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on August 15, 2017, 01:47:13 PMI wonder if some of our international guys will help recruit for Valpo? 
I hope so. After the Skara incident we could use some positive help just to get back to even!

I'm curious how much the Skara incident impacted recruiting of foreign players? Jay was already being recruited or signed before that (I know he had no affiliation with DBP). Linssen signed with Valpo this offseason and the connection was his coach who also coached Coach Lottich when he was a Pro overseas.

Would Maravilla really steer players away from Valpo? (ones that aren't even at Prep school) I know he's an agent and it sounds like he's pretty connected in Europe. I just wouldn't expect any Don Bosco Prep players to land at Valpo anytime soon... even though Valpo Basketball Alumni Jason Hawkins is the Head Coach of their staff. That whole incident isn't even Valpo's fault. Maybe its just "business" to Maravilla and its water under the bridge? He didn't seem too happy about the article that Paul wrote.

Still ticks me off that Mike Hutton of the Post Tribune wrote a "Puff Piece" about DBP even after he knew the whole BS of Maravilla trying to strong arm Valpo and use a student-athlete as leverage. Mike Hutton wrote: "Maravilla is fiercely loyal to his players. He incurred the wrath of Valparaiso University fans last year when he helped David Skara transfer to Clemson after Bryce Drew left for Vanderbilt." Not sure what Hutton has against Valpo Basketball...?
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-ptb-mike-hutton-column-st-0305-20170304-column.html

Quote from: justducky on August 15, 2017, 02:09:59 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on August 15, 2017, 01:47:13 PMI wonder which former player will be on our bench in a suit?
I have no clue but I think I can name one who will not. ::)

A few guys I thought would have a chance to Assistants in the future:
-Austin Peters (former grad-assistant & AP's older brother). I had a few people tell they think he'll a future D1 HC one day.
-Erik Buggs: I believe he's got into AAU coaching the last year or so. If he continues to pursue coaching I think he could eventually become an assistant or Director of Basketball Operations candidate with more experience.
-Jason Karys has been a manager and walked on last year and is now a Grad-Assistant. Could eventually possibly be an assistant down the road.
- Lexus Williams & Kieth Carter had really high basketball IQs so maybe them. Both PGs.

valpotx

Would love to hear from Raitis Grafs or Joaquim Gomes!
"Don't mess with Texas"

4throwfan

I've listened to all of the podcasts, and look forward to each new edition.  Really appreciate Paul and Parker's effort on this.  Thanks guys.

I really appreciated Dority's positive and appreciative tone throughout the interview.  I listened to the interview in the car on the way home from a very challenging day, and the interview was refreshing.  Lavonte, if you, by chance, are reading - thanks!  His type of outlook and attitude rubs off on people, and we should be thankful that Valpo gets the kind of quality ambassadors that they get.  It seems consistent, and I hope it continues.

Valpo89

I'd like to see Paul Oren get Dave Maravilla on Union Street Hoops.  :)

oklahomamick

If interview is conducted on campus he better hire security
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

"Forbes writer Jason Belzer joins Union Street Hoops to discuss the Horizon League's lawsuit against Valparaiso and the Missouri Valley Conference. Valparaiso associate head coach Luke Gore breaks down the 2017-18 non-conference schedule."

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-episode/audio_bcec8bec-8dcb-11e7-8f86-5b81f5440cce.html

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/903012267758944256

VU2014

"Parker Gatewood returns to Union Street Hoops to help Paul Oren preview the 2017-18 Valparaiso basketball season. Oren gives his Missouri Valley Conference preseason predictions."

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-episode/audio_a33ea8b8-b2cb-11e7-8117-ebddbce43123.html

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/920075858764759046

bbtds

I heard on the podcast talk of the last Valpo vs Evansville game in 2013 at the Ford Center. It was Alec's first game after his hometown was devastated by a tornado. I was informed by a UE fan that there are two seniors on this year's Evansville team that played against Valpo in that game.

Smj

Third place prediction....   Very cool but I pick Valpo in the middle of the pack.  My favorite part was hearing Evansville picked last place...  (Best Man in my wedding went there so I loved hearing this)

All I want for year one is to end the season better than Evansville (hahaha)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

EddieCabot

Very informative and entertaining, as usual.  Great having Parker back on as I enjoy the "inside scoop" on the team he picks up from being on campus and around the players.

I think they did a good job of pointing out how wide open the MVC will be.  When eight of the teams finished .500 or worse in conference last year and Illinois State lost their entire team, no reason to think Valpo won't be near the top.

VU2014

A STACKED Union Street Hoops episode. It's a good one.

"Coaches and players from around the Missouri Valley Conference join Union Street Hoops from the league's annual Media Day event in St. Louis. Guests include Valparaiso basketball coaches Matt Lottich and Tracey Dorow along with players Tevonn Walker and Dani Franklin."
http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-episode/audio_4d07fdfc-ba5d-11e7-8e65-5bccbef8c7ad.html
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/923569720707698689
https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/923570997604835328

4throwfan

I have a really long commute, and really enjoy the podcasts.  I appreciate Paul's and Parker's efforts with Union Street Hoops.  I listened to a few of the Happening Hoops podcasts, but cannot find them on the internet since the 10/2 episode.

I understand that there are podcasts on the Missouri Valley in general, but I cannot find those on the internet.

Basically, I'm not very technologically astute.

Wondering if someone can point me to some sites that have periodic podcasts or broadcasts on the Valley, or something like Happening Hoops?

Now that the baseball season is nearly over, I'd like to shift to college basketball, and I prefer not to listen to general news, since it is so negative.

Thanks for your help.

bbtds

Listening to the latest podcast that Pgmado did on Union Street Hoops he talked about walking about St Louis and visiting different landmarks with one of them being Busch Stadium not far from the Scottrade Center. He said it was a nice stadium for a third place team. A team that finished behind the Milwaukee Brewers. That stadium he observed was built in 2006. In that 11 years since it was built that team that plays there have won 2 World Series. Even the lowly Cubs have won a World Series. The Milwaukee Brewers have won how many World Series?
ZERO, ZILCH, NADA!!!!!!!

And which team did they lose to in the 1982 World Series?

a3uge

Quote from: bbtds on November 01, 2017, 06:56:55 PM
Listening to the latest podcast that Pgmado did on Union Street Hoops he talked about walking about St Louis and visiting different landmarks with one of them being Busch Stadium not far from the Scottrade Center. He said it was a nice stadium for a third place team. A team that finished behind the Milwaukee Brewers. That stadium he observed was built in 2006. In that 11 years since it was built that team that plays there have won 2 World Series. Even the lowly Cubs have won a World Series. The Milwaukee Brewers have won how many World Series?
ZERO, ZILCH, NADA!!!!!!!

Man, is there a group of more sensitive, insecure people than Cardinals fans?

VU2014

Quote from: a3uge on November 02, 2017, 05:57:57 AM

Oakland fans  ;D

a3uge

Quote from: VU2014 on November 02, 2017, 07:52:39 AM

Oakland fans  ;D
That's probably true - when you're at the point where you're equating beating a woman with a 7ft Spanish guy drinking a couple beers, then you have some serious issues.

bbtds

ZERO, ZILCH, NADA!!!!!!!

Brewers fans.

Pgmado

Quote from: bbtds on November 02, 2017, 11:56:11 AM
ZERO, ZILCH, NADA!!!!!!!

Brewers fans.

I'm well aware our (Brewers fans) place in the pecking order, so I'm going to take, and enjoy, the shots when I can. The Cardinals are (or at least were before the hacking scandal) the gold standard for baseball franchises. St. Louis baseball is equivalent to Green Bay football. (Football is that sport played with pigskin and results in touchdowns in case St. Louis fans don't remember). St. Louis expects to make the playoffs every year in baseball and Green Bay expects every year in football. Much like Chicago/Detroit/Minnesota fans bask in the glory of a down Green Bay season the rare times they occur, I'm going to bask in the glory of a down St. Louis season. So again, nice stadium for a third place team!   

VU2014

"Union Street Hoops hosts Paul Oren and Parker Gatewood breakdown Valparaiso's exhibition victory over Robert Morris. Former Valparaiso player Ali Berdiel joins the podcast to talk about his career with the Crusaders and the hurricane relief effort in his native Puerto Rico."

http://www.nwitimes.com/digital/audio/union-street-hoops/podcast-union-street-hoops-episode/audio_395cad24-c0d0-11e7-80e7-3fee03b910b2.html

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/926541865461182465