• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Basketball 2016-2017

Started by valporun, November 25, 2016, 07:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

She may be a good person and a good Christian, but that does not imply that she has qualities to be a good coach.

It will be interesting to eee what if any actions Valpo will take.

covufan

We just lost to Oakland by 41 points.  Three and a half years ago the Oakland team was decimated by a scandal.  Somehow, Oakland has been able to right their ship.

VULB#62

Add a 75-36 loss to UWGB at home tonight. 

Highlights on GB television showed the Phoenix raining threes from all over and as far out as Portage.

usc4valpo

I know Green Bay is good but that score is unacceptable

FWalum

Article from the Appleton Post

Green Bay women roll past Valparaiso

USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin wire services 11:03 p.m. CT Jan. 5, 2017

VALPARAISO, Ind. - There are times during the basketball season when the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay women simply overwhelm their opponent.

This was one of those times.

UWGB crushed Valparaiso 75-36 on Thursday night in a game played at the Athletics-Recreation Center, winning its fourth-consecutive game since being upset by Wisconsin last month.

It was the second-most points scored by the Phoenix this season behind the 78 it put up in a win against Marquette. It also was the third time in the past four games that it has held an opponent to 39 or fewer points. Everything about this night was dominated by UWGB. It outrebounded the Crusaders 42-28 and outscored them in the paint 34-6. It forced 26 turnovers and scored 31 points off them.

Senior forward Mehryn Kraker led the way again, scoring a game-high 22 points. When she went to the bench with 3 minutes, 5 seconds remaining in the third quarter, she had scored more points than Valparaiso (20) had at the time.

The Crusaders actually led 5-4 in the opening minutes. But by the middle of the second quarter, after UWGB held them without a field goal for almost 14 minutes, the Phoenix was up 27-6 with 5 minutes, 15 seconds left in the half. It led 40-15 at intermission and then scored 11 of the first 13 points of the second half. UWGB was up as much as 42 points in its most lopsided win of the season.

Phoenix freshman forward Madison Wolf finished with a career-high 10 points, shooting 5-for-7 in 14 minutes. All her points came on layups in the final 4:33 as the former Sheboygan North star hit UWGB's final five shots. Former Kimberly standout Frankie Wurtz had eight points and five rebounds in 16 minutes of action for UWGB.

Obviously the emphasis/bold is mine. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

and, our best player, Dani Franklin, was held to 5 points.   :(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyValpo

Someone needs to tell this staff that Hamlet is not a PG. She a wing shooter, making her handle the ball is not going to work as shown by the 8 TO's.

Brilliantly last night we decided to take our 6-4 center outside the three point line.

Someone needs to tell the coaching staff to have Hales take open 8-10 foot shots rather than fly into the lane for a contested shot as shown by the 0-6 last night.

Do our assistant coaches do anything during the game?  The number of times I saw them talk to a player coming off the floor was one. How about a little instruction?

And poor Maya Meridith misses three more shots and is now 1-24 for the season.

VULB#62

The TV coverage up here in NE WI (Green Bay area) tells us a lot too.  There were film/tape clips of the action, of course.  Obviously those were UWGB highlights (apparently there weren't any Valpo ones, anyway).

But that is not my point.  My point is that the GB sportscaster could not help being condescending and laughingly throwing in some derisive remarks about the Valpo effort and play. We supposedly recruit the northern midwest and compete for the same players.  Performances like the last two nights present images to potential recruits that hurt us significantly.  Is it any wonder that we haven't been able to dig ourselves out of the hole that we are actually digging deeper each season. 

In my mind, less talented teams can still win games if they play from a foundation of....

:twocents: The five players on the floor, regardless of who they are, play with intensity for 40 minutes.
      :twocents: They challenge every shot (most of GB's 3s were wide open if you go by the clips), fight for every loose ball.
      :twocents: Tough defense is the team mantra.
      :twocents: Rebounding and blocking out are highly prized and rewarded
      :twocents: Reliance on solid basic basketball fundamentals
      :twocents: Good shot selection
      :twocents: Ball security

The 5 players exhibiting all or most of these characteristics see the most minutes.

Then, after establishing this foundation and culture (and only after that) do schemes, plays and in-game coaching adjustments come into the picture.

Is that the Valpo WBB way?

Like i said, just my  :twocents:

jack

Same story. Different year. This coaching staff has come and gone, with the only constant being the head coach. Her philosophy does not work. Every point you make is valid, and has not changed since Dorow arrived. We weren't expected to beat Green Bay. We were expected to put up a fight, and start the game with 5 players that gave us the best chance to compete. Our bench scored 1/2 of our points. To me, the Oakland loss was much worse. Don't even know where to start with this one. Our coaching staff is lost when it comes to hammering down the fundamentals. Many of these players play a different roll then they did in HS. That's typical of most college players. Our coaches don't know how to coach or teach players another roll. I don't know if Hamlet was a PG in HS, but she doesn't have the skill set to be one in D1. To be honest, I haven't seen a true PG on this team for a few years now. They recruit players to fill rolls they really aren't capable of filling.
I don't see an improvement in WBB at Valpo until the AD pulls the trigger and decides to rebuild from the top down. As mentioned, with most teams, the assistants teach and coach during time outs. Doesn't happen here. Is it because the climate isn't designed for that? I don't know. I do know that, for years I've watch us come out after being down at the half (as usual) with no adjustment plan in place, only to lose more ground by games' end. Not acceptable.

valpo64

This humiliation has to to be put to an end!

IndyValpo

Quote from: IndyValpo on January 01, 2017, 01:19:05 PM
The only opening is a dump into Lindfors who has developed a decent post move. She should be shooting 10-12 times rather than 4-5.
Up 44-38 at half. Someone is listening. Lindfors has taken 9 shots at half.

IndyValpo

Quote from: IndyValpo on January 06, 2017, 08:38:55 AM
Someone needs to tell this staff that Hamlet is not a PG. She a wing shooter, making her handle the ball is not going to work as shown by the 8
Someone is listing part 2 Hamlet is on the wing....11 points at half.

IndyValpo

Much better effort all around. I actually saw an assistant coach coaching a sub. Hales took some outside shots rather than drive each time.

Unfortunately Lindfors only got three shots in the second half and we turned it over late. Still much better.

jack

Certainly a better outing. We beat them in almost every category but 2. Fouls, and free throws. We played more aggressive which we need to. Tough loss on our home court. Let's hope we build on this for Thursday. We will need the same effort.

IndyValpo

Are Profitt and Stoller still with the team? If so where are they?

VULB#62

It will be interesting to see how/if the way the team plays will change with Reese in there.

M

21% from the line in tonight's loss. I didn't bother to look up the actual fta/ftm.

jack

We seem to be getting more creative in ways to lose a game. 3 -14 from the charity stripe? This could possibly be the first time in school history where we shot a better percentage (23%) from the 3, then we did from the FT line. (21%). It looks like these ladies have lost all confidence in their game, and the coaching staff.

IndyValpo

Home tonight vs. Northern Ky. This one we should win.....

covufan

Quote from: IndyValpo on January 20, 2017, 12:55:14 PM
According to Massey, we are only favored in one remaining game - UIC at home at end of season.

http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=8361&s=292155

Hopefully, you are correct and we are on our way to winning four HL games this season!

IndyValpo

Quote from: IndyValpo on January 20, 2017, 12:55:14 PM
Well, maybe not....

vu72

So now we are in second last place with 11 games to go (assuming a first round loss) and a record of 5-12.  We will finish with the fifth year in a row with a losing record and two of the five with 6 wins.  Keith Freeman was fired for having a losing record for three years in a row after having winning records 13 out of 18 years at the helm and two NCAA appearances and a WNIT post season birth. Oh, he never had a season with only 6 wins.

Nuff said...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Anybody sticking around after the UIC game to watch the girls vs WSU? If I do I think it will be under a paper bag so that I don't get identified with lost causes. And I can cry  :'( without it being a public spectacle!