• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2017-18

Started by VU2014, April 07, 2017, 10:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

This sounds like a pretty cool event. Coach Lottich was a pretty good high school Baseball player at New Trier High School, so I'd imagine we'll seem some long balls.

https://twitter.com/CoachLottich/status/909148059707330560
https://twitter.com/ValpoSoftball/status/909128783256571907

http://www.valpoathletics.com/softball/news/2017-18/17582/valpo-softball-to-hold-inaugural-hit-a-thon-october-9/#.Wb2PC0qGOAx

Valpo Softball To Hold Inaugural Hit-a-Thon October 9
Friday, September 15, 2017

The Valparaiso University softball program will be holding its inaugural Hit-a-Thon to raise money for the program, where fans can pledge money on any of the Crusader players or any of the special guests, on Monday, October 9. Kicking the inaugural event off and headlining it will be Valpo men's basketball head coach Matt Lottich.

Each pledger will pledge at least 20 cents per foot to their chosen player or other hitter - each person will get 10 swings, with their farthest recorded batted ball being the registered distance. The event will be open to the public, with pledgers encouraged to join in the fun at the Valpo Softball Complex. Fans who can't attend can tune into the softball program's social media for live coverage.

For more information about the Hit-a-Thon, or to pledge on Coach Lottich or any of the Crusaders, fans are encouraged to contact associate head coach Monica Wright at 219-464-5047 or Monica.Wright@valpo.edu.

VULB#62

I really appreciate Matt's involvement in more than just MBB.

ValpoDad89

vu72

So the season ticket info is out.  Wondering if parking issues have been addressed at all or if parking fees have increased as did ticket prices?

http://cdn.streamlinetechnologies.com/valpoathletics/54FB8991-F303-4A4F-A19D-307D5827FF54/2017-18_MBB_Season_Tix_Poster.pdf
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Just saw Street & Smith's basketball preview magazine.  Has Valpo picked 5th with Tevonn first team and Joe all newcomer team as well as Tevonn all defensive team.  What was also interesting was that they broke the conferences down into two groups. "Major" and "Mid-Major".  The Valley was one of 13 conferences listed in the "Major" category along with more in-depth coverage.  The Horizon, of course, was listed as "Mid-Major" and their newest member picked dead last.  Northern Kentucky was picked first, Oakland second.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: vu72 on September 18, 2017, 02:26:14 PM
So the season ticket info is out.  Wondering if parking issues have been addressed at all or if parking fees have increased as did ticket prices?

http://cdn.streamlinetechnologies.com/valpoathletics/54FB8991-F303-4A4F-A19D-307D5827FF54/2017-18_MBB_Season_Tix_Poster.pdf

The only reference to parking on the season ticket order form is a comment about how ARC parking options are limited followed by a push to purchase a season parking pass in the same adjacent parking areas as last year.  There is no excavation activity underway for a "temporary" parking area on the old hospital grounds (as someone had suggested) and the "hospital" parking garage remains blocked with concrete barriers.  Unless they plan on clearing the lot across the street to the south prior to home games (which I highly doubt), the ARC will continue as the sports venue with the worst parking situation I have ever observed at any level of sports anywhere from elementary school to professional basketball.

VU2014

This is pretty big news. The Missouri Valley Conference inked a new 3 year deal with NBC Sports Chicago to broad the conference's Men's Basketball Games.

Great news. As many games Cable Broadcast in the greater Chicago-area and Northwest Indiana possible is GOOD for Valpo Basketball.

https://twitter.com/MVCsports/status/910886177145786368

http://mvc-sports.com/news/2017/9/14/mens-basketball-mvc-csn-chicago-inks-3-year-deal.aspx?utm_content=buffer9684e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

MVC / CSN CHICAGO INK 3-YEAR DEAL

ST. LOUIS -- The Missouri Valley Conference and CSN Chicago -- transitioning to "NBC Sports Chicago" on October 2 -- have signed a two-year contract with a mutual option for a third year through the 2019-20 academic term, Commissioner Doug Elgin announced today.

The Missouri Valley Conference and CSN Chicago began their relationship in October 2004 and just completed a three-year agreement on June 30, 2017.

Through the partnership, CSN Chicago clears a 16-game Missouri Valley Conference regular-season men's basketball package plus the the first six contests from the State Farm MVC Men's Basketball Tournament -- known as Arch Madness -- at Scottrade Center in St. Louis each March.

VU2014

Adam brings up some valid points. Fingers crossed: ESPN3 doesn't get blacked out for those games if they put the games on CSN+ (which is CSN Chicago secondary channel that they sometimes put games on when there is a bigger game that they broadcast on the main channel)

https://twitter.com/apgibson42/status/910918628148699136
https://twitter.com/apgibson42/status/910918820101083136
https://twitter.com/apgibson42/status/910918887214022657

crusadermoe

Good news about the TV deal! 

Going back to Burton and Evelyn. I am sure Bakari is very good.  But if you look closely at the roster page bio on Joe Burton, he scored in double figures four times as a sophomore and TWO times were against K-State and West Virginia.   

Have we ever had a transfer come to Valpo from a BCS level school with that level of proven scoring ability?   Casey Schmidt?  I don't think Cory Johnson, Boggs, or anyone else had shown double digits vs. conference teams.

bbtds

One thing I noticed about Joe Burton when checking out stories written about him when he came out of high school to Oklahoma State is that he graduated from Lutheran North High School of Houston.

https://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/2013/10/21/4864564/oklahoma-state-recruiting-joe-burton-chooses-cowboys

The Cowboys have added yet another elite talent to the 2014 class. Joe Burton out of Lutheran North High School in Porter,TX announced Monday evening that he is taking his talents to Stillwater, OK.

The high school listed for Burton on the Valpo Athletics website is Atascocita. It is also the high school that the Oklahoma State Athletics website listed for Burton.

From info listed on Valpo's own website about Lutheran high schools the student population of Lutheran North High School in Houston is 150.

https://www.valpo.edu/church-relations/lhs-directory/

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.8174093,-95.4196992,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIYLBOK2qOVAsPIjNVsuaWg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

wh

Quote from: crusadermoe on September 21, 2017, 06:46:14 PM
Good news about the TV deal! 

Going back to Burton and Evelyn. I am sure Bakari is very good.  But if you look closely at the roster page bio on Joe Burton, he scored in double figures four times as a sophomore and TWO times were against K-State and West Virginia.   

Have we ever had a transfer come to Valpo from a BCS level school with that level of proven scoring ability?   Casey Schmidt?  I don't think Cory Johnson, Boggs, or anyone else had shown double digits vs. conference teams.

Very good observation. I can't think of anyone.

bbtds

Quote from: bbtds on September 21, 2017, 09:43:17 PMFrom info listed on Valpo's own website about Lutheran high schools the student population of Lutheran North High School in Houston is 150.

Now when comparing LHN Houston to Atascocita here's some info about Atascocita HS from their wiki page which might explain why Joe ended up at LHN:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atascocita_High_School

After there was a substantial amount of growth in the Atascocita and Lake Houston portions of Humble ISD,[1] Humble High School became hugely overcrowded, reaching an enrollment of nearly 5,000 students. The district opened Atascocita High School in August 2006 to address the problem.

From its opening, AHS dealt with its own overcrowding problem. During its second year of operation, the campus installed temporary trailer classrooms in one of the parking lots. The following year, a new wing on the east side of the campus was built, the cafeteria was expanded, and the temporary buildings were removed. Finally in 2009, the district opened Summer Creek High School to serve the large Fall Creek and Summerwood subdivisions. Recently, AHS has again begun to experience an overcrowding issue. During the 2015-2016 school year, it built temporary trailer classrooms again in the parking lot of one of the houses to make room for the influx of students.

valpotx

I even heard about Burton in HS, due to some games he played against competition in the DFW area, as well as being named to the 5A all-state team (second largest class).  When I saw his name pop-up as an incoming transfer, I was pumped!
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

I think that Burton has the potential to be one of the most dynamic players we have seen at Valpo.  A smoother and maybe even more athletic version of Shane Hammink.  I think that Burton must not have felt comfortable with his role at Oklahoma State and has now had a year to mature.  I think being at VU gives him the opportunity to show he deserved that ESPN 100 ranking coming out of High School and I don't expect him to disappoint.

Highlights from a high school game in 2014 where Burton scored 49.  A 7 minute long video with highlights of a number of kids, but it shows just how explosive of a scorer Burton can be.  In the second quarter of this game he scores 13 points in a row for a 2nd quarter total of 21 points.

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Quote from: FWalum on September 22, 2017, 08:39:59 AM
I think that Burton has the potential to be one of the most dynamic players we have seen at Valpo. A smoother and maybe even more athletic version of Shane Hammink.  I think that Burton must not have felt comfortable with his role at Oklahoma State and has now had a year to mature.  I think being at VU gives him the opportunity to show he deserved that ESPN 100 ranking coming out of High School and I don't expect him to disappoint.

I think our team may be as big as any we have had and also more athletic than any team we have had.  Whether this translates to wins or not is the question.  When you replace guys like Adekoya, Davidson and Simon with Hazen, McMillan and Golder, clearly we will be faster and more athletic.

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on September 22, 2017, 09:10:33 AM
Quote from: FWalum on September 22, 2017, 08:39:59 AM
I think that Burton has the potential to be one of the most dynamic players we have seen at Valpo. A smoother and maybe even more athletic version of Shane Hammink.  I think that Burton must not have felt comfortable with his role at Oklahoma State and has now had a year to mature.  I think being at VU gives him the opportunity to show he deserved that ESPN 100 ranking coming out of High School and I don't expect him to disappoint.

I think our team may be as big as any we have had and also more athletic than any team we have had.  Whether this translates to wins or not is the question.  When you replace guys like Adekoya, Davidson and Simon with Hazen, McMillan and Golder, clearly we will be faster and more athletic.

Don't forget about Marten Linssen. I'm curious how much we see the freshman play next season. If I had to take a guess which Freshman will get the most playing time next season I'd take a guess it would be Linssen. The coaches have said he's a high motor guy who will rip your arm off to get a rebound. Even if his offense is a bit raw I could see him getting some run just based on rebounding especially if he's pair with Smits who didn't always embrace physicality in paint when grabbing rebounds. They may play well together if Linssen has that mid-range jumper working for himself.

VU2014

valpo64

Hail to the BLACK and gold!   I guess I'm to old to get it.

valpo64

Just do not understand why some of our teams wear brown and gold/yellow while others wear black and gold when our colors are BROWN and gold.  I'd like to hear MLB explain why he allows the inconsistency.

Valpower

Quote from: valpo64 on September 22, 2017, 04:52:17 PM
Just do not understand why some of our teams wear brown and gold/yellow while others wear black and gold when our colors are BROWN and gold.  I'd like to hear MLB explain why he allows the inconsistency.
One word: morale.

Valpower

Quote from: Valpower on September 22, 2017, 04:58:16 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on September 22, 2017, 04:52:17 PM
One word: morale.
And I do realize you were mostly wondering why the inconsistency, not why black, rather than brown--but I had to go there.

valpo64

I understand the morale thing...of course.  Black, yeah black solves that problem.  I guess I like the brown morale better.  It is a shame that the football team has a morale problem...those doggone brown and gold colors do it every time I guess.   Go Valpo!

VUSWIM08-12

I love that we are focused on the new guys, and this team will obviously have a completely different look than the past few seasons,however, I think seniors Tevonn and Max will play a huge part in our overall success(obviously Tevonn a lot more than Max). I was at the NIT game at Illinois and Tevonn showed incredible ability to create space and make the open 15-17 footer. From what I have  seen Tevonn's issue had been consistency, but I think senior year will be a different story. If( and I believe) he can average 17.5ppg and 8 boards a game( 11.9 and 5.6 last year) we will at least have the oppotunity to have a solid season. Max can handle the ball, but he has to show the ability to make the open 3 or drive to the basket.  Hopefully Sorrolla  and Smits have improved in the off season. Once Joe gets his game legs back I think he will be right up there with Tevonn in scoring. Really looking forward to the first exhibition game in 39 days!

VULB#62

I think you are onto something. Tevonn, I am thinking, defered to Alec and Shane out of respect. He altered his game to ensure that Alec and Shane could play theirs. I am thinking that he now realizes that this is his team and that he will be the go-to guy. Gonna be fun.