• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Per Paul Oren: German U18 NTL Team member Marten Linßen is a VU Verbal Commit

Started by VU2014, April 28, 2017, 02:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Cougill was so fat he couldn't jump 3 in off the ground. This guy can throw it down.

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on April 28, 2017, 09:55:38 PM
Cougill was so fat he couldn't jump 3 in off the ground. This guy can throw it down.

What was Big Lumber's real name?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: agibson on April 28, 2017, 09:32:33 PM
So Linsseen plays for Leverkusen: big German sports club with pro soccer, probably pro basketball, etc. Typical European setup. What do you think or chances are of clearinghouse delays? How did we do with Fumey?

This next year will be quite a test for the coaching staff trying to get all these young players to put forth a good product.

I almost think a 20 when season next year is more impressive than his first year, assuming that can I happen.

agibson

Looks like Linssen played just a few games for Bayer last season, when they were relegated. Seems they are the German club with the most national championships, storied history and such, but had to give up their first division license about ten years ago when Bayer (think aspirin) cut their funding way back to focus on the soccer. They dropped to the third division for restructuring, got promoted up to the second, and this season back down to the third.

Looks like Lissen's played just about every game this season, about 12 MPG about 8th in the rotation. Top half of the southern group in the German 3rd division. With some B teams like Bayern Munchen II. Playing with men, pros and semi-pros and probably some other amateurs. Hopefully helps the transition to the college game. I've never understood how the pro thing works, but hopefully the NCAA has it figured out by now. Presumably he's ok as long as he didn't take a salary?

M

The Cougill comparison is more appearance related then anything then anything else.

Leek can shoot and hit threes. I would think that one of those guys on that list will redshirt, no?

VUBBFan

Hope this kid clears the NCAA ok. From the videos he looks like a big strong POWER Forward. I like his defense and rebounding. Looks like he can RUN the floor and handle the ball well. Don't care if he can shoot the 3 or not, but seems like he can hit the 2s. Let someone else concentrate on the 3s. Let him crash the boards rebound and block shots. He may be a real steal. Fingers crossed

wh

Linssen continues Valparaiso's European connection

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/linssen-continues-valparaiso-s-european-connection/article_8dd099ce-1085-5b7d-a785-d6cd25e32f4e.html

Matt Lottich put the finishing touches on the Valparaiso men's basketball roster for the upcoming 2017-18 season. Where the Crusaders will be playing next season is still up for debate.

A source close to the situation confirmed that Marten Linssen verbally committed to the Crusaders on Thursday morning. Linssen played for the German national team in the 2016 U18 European championships and plays with Bayer Giants Leverkusen in ProB, a professional league in Germany.

Linssen is expected to file his national letter of intent over the weekend. NCAA rules prohibit Lottich or the Valparaiso coaching staff from commenting on Linssen until his paperwork has been submitted.

The 6-foot-9, 265-pound center plays under assistant coach Hansi Gnad with Bayer. Gnad was a coach with the Dusseldorf Giants in 2009 when Lottich played for the club.

Linssen averaged 4.4 points and 3.5 rebounds in just over 12 minutes during his 22 games with Bayer this past season. Linssen averaged 12.8 points and 8.9 rebounds while playing in the German youth league this year as well.

Linssen joins an incoming class that includes freshmen Milek McMillian (Merrillville) and Parker Hazen (Columbia City) as well as JUCO transfer Markus Golder (North Idaho) and Providence transfer Ryan Fazekas. Transfers Bakari Evelyn (Nebraska) and Joe Burton (Oklahoma State) will be eligible after sitting out last season due to NCAA transfer guidelines. Linssen is expected to enter Valparaiso as a freshman and have four years of immediate eligibility.

The only change that could shift Valparaiso's roster in the coming months is if rising senior Tevonn Walker decides to keep his name in the upcoming NBA Draft. Walker was one of 137 collegiate underclassmen that declared for the draft. Walker has until May 24 to decide to keep his name in the draft or return to school.

Another change that could be coming to Valparaiso is a possible move to the Missouri Valley Conference. Representatives from the Valley were on campus this week for a second site visit in the last four years. The conference considered Valparaiso in 2013 when Creighton left the league before settling on Loyola. The Valley released a statement earlier this month stating they would have no comment on its expansion plans during the process. The Valparaiso athletics department stated it had no comment when asked earlier this week about the site visit or if the school was considering a move from the Horizon League.

FWalum

Quote from: wh on April 29, 2017, 08:13:19 AMThe 6-foot-9, 265-pound center plays under assistant coach Hansi Gnad with Bayer. Gnad was a coach with the Dusseldorf Giants in 2009 when Lottich played for the club.
This means a lot when looking at this deal.  Lottich knows that this guy can evaluate talent and has worked with this kid.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Quote from: FWalum on April 29, 2017, 01:47:32 PM
Quote from: wh on April 29, 2017, 08:13:19 AMThe 6-foot-9, 265-pound center plays under assistant coach Hansi Gnad with Bayer. Gnad was a coach with the Dusseldorf Giants in 2009 when Lottich played for the club.
This means a lot when looking at this deal.  Lottich knows that this guy can evaluate talent and has worked with this kid.

I'm not sure exactly how the coaching carousel shook out, but Dusseldorf was the team that was created to take over Leverkusen's first division license when Bayer backed their funding off from Leverkusen basketball. They only lasted about six years and now the team (Dusseldorf) has folded entirely. I can imagine that a number of folks might have gone from Leverkusen, to Dusseldorf, and then maybe back.

But, yes, having the connection gives you some confidence in the signing.

Should we look for a Japanese player next?

wh

Quote from: FWalum on April 29, 2017, 01:47:32 PM

It may well be that someone from the coaching staff flew to Germany and watched him workout, met with him, talked to his coaches, etcIt's not that expensive and well within the realm of possibility with the special $2 Million donor contribution earmarked exclusively for recruiting. That gives us a significant recruiting advantage over other mids.

SanityLost17

I'm not going to go back and quote it, but somebody said something about us having too many people at the center/PF positions.   

I think this means that guys like Burton/Fazeekus/McMillen/Golder are all going to be playing 2/3 guard.  I have heard several times McMillen was out of position at Merillville.  I also seem to remember Burton wanting to play the 3.

Not sure it is as crowded as some think.  Could be we are going to be playing some very tall lineups with some taller than normal wings here in a few years. 

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: SanityLost17 on April 29, 2017, 05:10:58 PM
I'm not going to go back and quote it, but somebody said something about us having too many people at the center/PF positions.   

I think this means that guys like Burton/Fazeekus/McMillen/Golder are all going to be playing 2/3 guard.  I have heard several times McMillen was out of position at Merillville.  I also seem to remember Burton wanting to play the 3.

Not sure it is as crowded as some think.  Could be we are going to be playing some very tall lineups with some taller than normal wings here in a few years.

Hazen
Burton

Are the only ones quick enough for guarding the SF position.  Not sure McMillan has the lateral speed, but we shall see.

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 29, 2017, 06:02:09 PM

Hazen
Burton

Are the only ones quick enough for guarding the SF position.  Not sure McMillan has the lateral speed, but we shall see.

I would think that Golder is plenty quick enough to play the 2/3.  Where else would he play??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on April 29, 2017, 06:20:27 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on April 29, 2017, 06:02:09 PM

Hazen
Burton

I would think that Golder is plenty quick enough to play the 2/3.  Where else would he play??

I'm only talking about players that are slotted to play PF/SF.  Golder "could" play the SF with his size.  But I'm doubting we see him there much with our overload of F on the team.

But Golder and Burton can be this years Hammink.  Great to have depth!!!

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on April 28, 2017, 03:01:58 PM
We need to get a few of the German students to have their own student broadcast of the game! Would be awesome to hear a student broadcast games in German.

Angemessen. 

Steh Auf für die Uhlanen!

Die Kämpft Uhlanen!

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulanen

Appropriate

Stand up for the Uhlans!

The Fighting Uhlans!

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on April 29, 2017, 02:41:01 PMI'm not sure exactly how the coaching carousel shook out, but Dusseldorf was the team that was created to take over Leverkusen's first division license when Bayer backed their funding off from Leverkusen basketball. They only lasted about six years and now the team (Dusseldorf) has folded entirely. I can imagine that a number of folks might have gone from Leverkusen, to Dusseldorf, and then maybe back.

Looking at a German map---Leverkusen is a suburb of Cologne (Köln) and Düsseldorf.

FWalum

Quote from: bbtds on May 01, 2017, 03:05:42 AM
Quote from: agibson on April 29, 2017, 02:41:01 PMI'm not sure exactly how the coaching carousel shook out, but Dusseldorf was the team that was created to take over Leverkusen's first division license when Bayer backed their funding off from Leverkusen basketball. They only lasted about six years and now the team (Dusseldorf) has folded entirely. I can imagine that a number of folks might have gone from Leverkusen, to Dusseldorf, and then maybe back.

Looking at a German map---Leverkusen is a suburb of Cologne (Köln) and Düsseldorf.

I am not familiar with that area at all.  Relatives live in the Ulm area so we have mainly visited southern Germany, even though I can't understand a lick of schwabisch.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on May 01, 2017, 08:14:16 AM
Quote from: bbtds on May 01, 2017, 03:05:42 AM

I am not familiar with that area at all.  Relatives live in the Ulm area so we have mainly visited southern Germany, even though I can't understand a lick of schwabisch.

My grandmother used to prepare that potato salad. She called it schwabischer Kartoffelsalat. I used to say "What?"

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/221344/schwabischer-kartoffelsalat-german-potato-salad---schwabisch-style/

VULB#62

Schwabischer Kartoffelsalat. AKA German Potato Sald, served warm, is big up here in WI at Friday night fish frys.

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 01, 2017, 01:12:51 PMhttp://allrecipes.com/recipe/221344/schwabischer-kartoffelsalat-german-potato-salad---schwabisch-style/

I'm very familiar with the salad (Wisconsin, and various German-American relatives) but don't know if I've ever heard it referred to as Schwabisch. Interesting.

I do much prefer it to the mayonnaise kind.

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on May 01, 2017, 01:35:33 PMHe said the magic words -- for me at least: rebounding, defense, hustle and will. Sounds like a lunch pail kind of scrapper.
Re

Perhaps a bigger, more athletic version of Kevin Van Wijk!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu72 on May 01, 2017, 03:40:02 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on May 01, 2017, 01:35:33 PMHe said the magic words -- for me at least: rebounding, defense, hustle and will. Sounds like a lunch pail kind of scrapper.
Re

Perhaps a bigger, more athletic version of Kevin Van Wijk!

Is anything official?  Not seeing anything announcing this other than "heard it from a guy".