• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valparaiso has ACCEPTED* the Invite to become the 10th Member of the MVC!!!!

Started by VU2014, May 09, 2017, 10:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: crusadermoe on May 09, 2017, 11:15:53 AM
I can't believe people are finding ways to be disappointed or unsatisfied with the expansion to 10 for next year.   Get over it!   

I couldn't agree more. Let's put the woulda, coulda, shoulda's in the rear view mirror. It's time to get happy!

a3uge

Quote from: justducky on May 09, 2017, 01:42:46 PM
Quote from: a3uge on May 09, 2017, 01:29:33 PM
Quote from: justducky on May 09, 2017, 01:07:38 PM
Let me break this down to its simplest elements.

Our move to the HL was "one step forward" and it was a BIG one. Post -Butler it quickly became "two steps back" with the last few years being a backward sprint. This MVC move is another "one step forward". With the value of our hindsight, what can do to insure future MVC basketball stability?

Think about this? Didn't the 2007 Horizon League look like a better landing spot than the 2017 MVC? Doesn't that scare you?  :o
What is your alternative?
The MVC needs a transfusion of instant  :censored:. Who better than us? If this is public vs private and the publics are right then we should join or lead the publics with this movement. More later. Too busy to talk>
What?

oklahomamick

The Valley vs. MWC challenge will make up for the ISU OCC game we had.  I think it will be a home game against Colorado St?
CRUSADERS!!!

FWalum

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 09, 2017, 01:22:39 PMFor the last few years we on this board have been lamenting the fact that good mid majors are not scheduling each other as much as they should and that has hurt all mid majors come March Madness. So now we leave the HL and pull a Butler?  I don't think so.  We are not hypocrites.  We should be putting our money where our mouth is.  We should immediately seek out OU, (whoever the second rated HL team is - NKU??), Belmont and Murray for 2017-18.  Unless the HL acts quickly each HL team will have to replace the two game slots on their schedule vacated by Valpo.  Offering back at least one game to a couple of the highest rated HL teams would be beneficial all around.
Couldn't agree more VULB#62. No more NAIA games, we need to schedule OOC home games that will put buts in the seats. Would much rather that it be a +150 HL team.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 09, 2017, 01:39:05 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on May 09, 2017, 11:37:30 AMHahaha wow Detroit area reporter is already declaring Oakland "Top Dog" of the Conference now... [tweet]861969729707286528[/tweet]

Not far fetched if you go by last years results.  They whooped us home and away, given the refs took Tevonn out of the @ OU game.

No one is saying they won't be a good team next season.

Just saying, they should probably back their record up with a few out-right HL Titles and a few RPI Top 100s before they go around calling themselves the "Top Dogs" in the conference.

They should be the preseason favorites on paper next season with the senior laden roster.

vu72

Some pretty funny things being posted on the Milwaukee board.  When asked "what is next for the conference"  One poster said "if IPFW or IUPUI are on the short list, desolve the conference"   :rotfl:

Another guy, in answer to the question just posted this:

https://shoutsfromtheabyss.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/tombstone.jpg
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I assume that we are going to wait until after the baseball and softball tournaments finish, before officially accepting.  The softball tournament is this weekend, and the conference can't take away an NCAA bid, if the tourney has already been decided.  Anyone else think that this is the case?
"Don't mess with Texas"

4throwfan

Quote from: FWalum on May 09, 2017, 02:06:28 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on May 09, 2017, 01:22:39 PMFor the last few years we on this board have been lamenting the fact that good mid majors are not scheduling each other as much as they should and that has hurt all mid majors come March Madness. So now we leave the HL and pull a Butler?  I don't think so.  We are not hypocrites.  We should be putting our money where our mouth is.  We should immediately seek out OU, (whoever the second rated HL team is - NKU??), Belmont and Murray for 2017-18.  Unless the HL acts quickly each HL team will have to replace the two game slots on their schedule vacated by Valpo.  Offering back at least one game to a couple of the highest rated HL teams would be beneficial all around.
Couldn't agree more VULB#62. No more NAIA games, we need to schedule OOC home games that will put buts in the seats. Would much rather that it be a +150 HL team.

Agree that we should try to schedule Oakland; for 2 reasons: 1) Puts fans in the seats; and 2) is a good rpi game.  50% of RPI is opponents W-L record.  Last year OU was 22-9.  Will be hard for VU to get that kind of W-L record in a non-conference game for a home-and-home.

valpo tundra

Regarding the Men's Tennis post, Valpo will join the Summit League next year for Men,s Tennis. The Missouri Valley will fold Men,s Tennis for next year as Southern Illinois and Stonybrook are dropping their programs and Wichita State will be gone. Drake and Illinois State will then join Valpo in the Summit League with Denver, Drake and Valpo being the premier programs. Also, Men,s Swimming and Diving will join the MAC alongside Missouri State, Evansville, and SIU. Perhaps now upgrades to the pool will take place ahead of or in addition to the future fieldhouse.

elephtheria47

I agree its likely waiting for the softball and baseball tourneys to be over. HL cant do anything if we have just been offered but not accepted

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on May 09, 2017, 02:06:34 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 09, 2017, 01:39:05 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on May 09, 2017, 11:37:30 AMHahaha wow Detroit area reporter is already declaring Oakland "Top Dog" of the Conference now... [tweet]861969729707286528[/tweet]

Not far fetched if you go by last years results.  They whooped us home and away, given the refs took Tevonn out of the @ OU game.

No one is saying they won't be a good team next season.

Just saying, they should probably back their record up with a few out-right HL Titles and a few RPI Top 100s before they go around calling themselves the "Top Dogs" in the conference.

They should be the preseason favorites on paper next season with the senior laden roster.

Oakland has won exactly 1 conference tournament game, and that was 4 years ago. They backed into 1 league co-championship - this year after Alec was shut down for the season. Their 1 claim to fame was sweeping us this year, so I'll grant them that. They do a very good job of recruiting good 2nd chance problem children, but that has not translated to an equivalent level of on-the-court success. They still have a lot to prove.

jloose128

This is a very exciting day for Valpo, let's not forget that! We can worry about the long-term repercussions of the MVC another day, though I have more faith in these MVC teams getting better than some of the cellar dwellers in the Horizon.

I remember before I came to Valpo as a student six years ago, watching Arch Madness (and rooting for Illinois State where my brother went to college) was always one of the most exciting parts of the year before the NCAA Tourney. Above all, the fact that we get to abandon the disaster of Motor City Madness for something like Arch Madness makes this move worthwhile in itself.

Now let's go out there and shock the MVC in year one!  ;)

VU2014

Quote from: valpo tundra on May 09, 2017, 02:24:54 PM
Regarding the Men's Tennis post, Valpo will join the Summit League next year for Men,s Tennis. The Missouri Valley will fold Men,s Tennis for next year as Southern Illinois and Stonybrook are dropping their programs and Wichita State will be gone. Drake and Illinois State will then join Valpo in the Summit League with Denver, Drake and Valpo being the premier programs. Also, Men,s Swimming and Diving will join the MAC alongside Missouri State, Evansville, and SIU. Perhaps now upgrades to the pool will take place ahead of or in addition to the future fieldhouse.

Any news on this front?

I'm curious if this move jump-starts any new upgrades to the ARC or new facilities?

FieldGoodie05

Anyone else excited for the next PO podcast!?!? 

Think it would be great to hear from Kampe as he has keen insight on conference movement and growing his program.  He is a wealth of experience and is unafraid to speak freely.

vu72

Maybe middle of the pack next year and win it all in 18-19.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

yayphoenixyay

Just wipe the floor with Wardle's smug face, that's all I ask.

VU2014

VU2014

https://twitter.com/TribStarTodd/status/862032119836684289

Valparaiso is the only invitee to the MVC's club
Crusaders become third Indiana school to join the conference
By Todd Aaron Golden Tribune-Star  14 min ago

"Valparaiso University was unanimously voted to join the MVC. The vote took place Monday night and the announcement was made by the league on Tuesday.

"The Missouri Valley Conference Presidents Council has unanimously voted to extend a membership invitation to Valparaiso University, effective July 1, 2017. There will be no further comment pending the negotiation of terms," said the MVC in a statement.

"This is driven by basketball. It's important. It matters. More importantly, bringing in an academic institution that fits the profile of the Missouri Valley Conference is really important to us," ISU Director of Athletics Sherard Clinkscales said.

"I've been in the league for the loss of Creighton and Wichita State. I think the coaches know we're a really strong basketball league that needs to work hard to keep its identity and continue to improve," Lansing said. "I think this is a strong step forward. It's a strong academic institution and it's strong in basketball. They can be an in-state rival for us. It's a natural for Indiana State."

Lots of good stuff in here. Great read.

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on May 09, 2017, 02:58:16 PM
https://twitter.com/TribStarTodd/status/862032119836684289

Valparaiso is the only invitee to the MVC's club
Crusaders become third Indiana school to join the conference
By Todd Aaron Golden Tribune-Star  14 min ago

"Valparaiso University was unanimously voted to join the MVC. The vote took place Monday night and the announcement was made by the league on Tuesday.

"The Missouri Valley Conference Presidents Council has unanimously voted to extend a membership invitation to Valparaiso University, effective July 1, 2017. There will be no further comment pending the negotiation of terms," said the MVC in a statement.

"This is driven by basketball. It's important. It matters. More importantly, bringing in an academic institution that fits the profile of the Missouri Valley Conference is really important to us," ISU Director of Athletics Sherard Clinkscales said.

"I've been in the league for the loss of Creighton and Wichita State. I think the coaches know we're a really strong basketball league that needs to work hard to keep its identity and continue to improve," Lansing said. "I think this is a strong step forward. It's a strong academic institution and it's strong in basketball. They can be an in-state rival for us. It's a natural for Indiana State."

Lots of good stuff in here. Great read.

Interesting to read that Loyola lacks several sports that Valpo has.  In Men's they don't have swimming, baseball or tennis but do have volleyball.  In women's they don't have swimming or tennis.  Valpo of course has football and women's bowling which they don't have.  Just amazing all the opportunities presented athletically at Valpo.

VUSWIM08-12

Quote from: VU2014 on May 09, 2017, 02:29:41 PM
Quote from: valpo tundra on May 09, 2017, 02:24:54 PMRegarding the Men's Tennis post, Valpo will join the Summit League next year for Men,s Tennis. The Missouri Valley will fold Men,s Tennis for next year as Southern Illinois and Stonybrook are dropping their programs and Wichita State will be gone. Drake and Illinois State will then join Valpo in the Summit League with Denver, Drake and Valpo being the premier programs. Also, Men,s Swimming and Diving will join the MAC alongside Missouri State, Evansville, and SIU. Perhaps now upgrades to the pool will take place ahead of or in addition to the future fieldhouse.
Any news on this front? I'm curious if this move jump-starts any new upgrades to the ARC or new facilities?

Would be nice, pools are money pits so it's hard to get anything going but NWI could use a topnotch facility. Munster High school built a very nice pool and it gets used for big club meets etc. If VU and the City of Valpo could build something similar with a bit more seating then they could almost break even each year!

VULB#62

According to Mike Osopoff's Trib article:

"For not providing at least two years notice to the Horizon League, Valparaiso would be subject to a reported $500,000 exit fee and forfeiture of its share of NCAA and conference revenues from the last year, including from the NCAA tournament."

Read the rest:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-mens-basketball-valparaiso-mvc-st-0510-20170509-story.html

UNIFTW

Chances are the MVC kicks in for at least some of the buy out and/or a partial share of WSU's shares forfited by them leaving.

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on May 09, 2017, 02:29:41 PM
Quote from: valpo tundra on May 09, 2017, 02:24:54 PM

Any news on this front?

I'm curious if this move jump-starts any new upgrades to the ARC or new facilities?

I have a feeling that this is what is being negotiated. It doesn't mean that Valpo will decline just that their level of spending towards athletics will be "rewarded/disciplined" with the amount the MVC will reduce/increase their entry fee or exit fee from the HL/to the MVC.

bigmosmithfan1

Nah. I bet it almost certainly has to do with making sure softball and baseball can participate in upcoming HL tourney (and go to NCAA if they win), as well as possibly finalizing landing slots for tennis and swimming programs (note that the Summit and MAC likely aren't going to call emergency meetings to approve an associate member in an Olympic sport, probably just a matter of getting requisite signatures, etc.). Facilities stuff is big and any of that would be nailed down before an announcement like today's.