• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Must-see mid-major venues

Started by wh, June 08, 2017, 12:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

One writer's bucket list: All of his must-see mid-major venues
From the classics, to the bandboxes, to...Grand Canyon.

by Patrick Toner@PTonero  Jun 8, 2017, 9:17am PDT

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/6/8/15743024/mid-major-arena-bucket-list-siegel-center-palestra-jadwin-gonzaga

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on June 08, 2017, 12:23:11 PM
One writer's bucket list: All of his must-see mid-major venues
From the classics, to the bandboxes, to...Grand Canyon.

by Patrick Toner@PTonero  Jun 8, 2017, 9:17am PDT

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/6/8/15743024/mid-major-arena-bucket-list-siegel-center-palestra-jadwin-gonzaga

Yep, Valpo made the list -- the only MVC arena to do so.  ( I like the way that sounds  :thumbsup:)

In addition beneath the main article was this:

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/5/25/15691000/we-should-all-be-as-hyped-as-valparaiso-crusaders-missouri-valley-conference-mvc-realignment-horizon

Conference Realignment: We should all be as hyped as Valparaiso is to join the Missouri Valley Conference

Lots of love going our way.

oklahomamick

Is this the same ARC everyone complains about?
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

talksalot

I graduated from High School in #3 on their list (Jadwin Cage) Nice pictures... and it's hard to argue with the list...

usc4valpo

UNI has a really nice facility and the fans can get into it when they are successful.

Long Beach also has a cool arena

vu72

I found it interesting that other than BYU (why would a 19000 seat arena be a "must-see"?), New Mexico and Dayton, all the facilities had seating capacities of less than 10,000. Two were smaller than the ARC and one brand new one only will seat 3500. The "atmosphere" seems to be the selling point and the crowd on top of the floor is a big advantage. 

As a result, if and when the ARC is renovated I would think adding more than 1000 seats would be a mistake. New and better seating, restrooms and food choices should be the only issues addressed.  Having said that, I think some sort of "club" area, perhaps looking down from the north side expansion would be really nice experience for certain donors.  Hanging out in a reclaimed handball court really isn't cutting it.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu84v2

I would be interested in the insights from some of the MVC people that have been visiting this board on the best and toughest venues in the MVC. I have only been to one (Loyola). My guess would be that the toughest places to visit (with a criteria based primarily on attendance and engagement of the fans) are Illinois State and Northern Iowa. On a good night, Valpo will be one of the toughest places to play in the Valley, but that also includes hope that the intense atmosphere exists for all conference games and not just games on certain nights against the best opponents.

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on June 11, 2017, 09:22:54 AM
As a result, if and when the ARC is renovated I would think adding more than 1000 seats would be a mistake. New and better seating, restrooms and food choices should be the only issues addressed.  Having said that, I think some sort of "club" area, perhaps looking down from the north side expansion would be really nice experience for certain donors.  Hanging out in a reclaimed handball court really isn't cutting it.

100% agree.

A Club area would be great. Also how about the ARC start selling beer... more and more Universities are selling alcohol at arenas.

I know this goes with out saying but parking badly needs to be address. The school could tear down the tiny/not very well equipped Student Fitness and move it to another building (then eventually move it into the future Student Rec Center down the road) and add parking right there on the side of the building. Or could put a parking lot next to the volley ball fields that are a down the hill and across from Guild & Memorial & designate that parking lot as the new "student Parking lot" for that dorm & to free up the parking lot for current next to the dorm during game days. It may not be the most idea scenario because it would take away some green space and wouldn't be quite aesthetically pleasing losing some green space. Also fixing the parking garage...

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on June 13, 2017, 10:45:29 AM
Quote from: vu72 on June 11, 2017, 09:22:54 AM

100% agree.

A Club area would be great. Also how about the ARC start selling beer... more and more Universities are selling alcohol at arenas.

I know this goes with out saying but parking badly needs to be address. The school could tear down the tiny/not very well equipped Student Fitness and move it to another building (then eventually move it into the future Student Rec Center down the road) and add parking right there on the side of the building. Or could put a parking lot next to the volley ball fields that are a down the hill and across from Guild & Memorial & designate that parking lot as the new "student Parking lot" for that dorm & to free up the parking lot for current next to the dorm during game days. It may not be the most idea scenario because it would take away some green space and wouldn't be quite aesthetically pleasing losing some green space. Also fixing the parking garage...

Does the insurance required + liquor license not FAR exceed expected revenue from beer sales though?  The beer idea might have worked in 1600's Germany (dirty water and all)....but my guess is the ROI isn't there.

bigmosmithfan1

Great to see the ARC on this list. Looking forward to getting to some the Valley venues this year to see them for myself (I've been to ISU for a h.s. tourney, but not for a Redbirds game, and I went to the UNI-Dome once way back when, but not their new arena).

Some other good Midwest mid-major venues to see:

Central Michigan's McGuirk Arena: https://s3.amazonaws.com/media.cml/19663_crowd2f.jpg

Akron's JAR Arena (also where LeBron James played all of his h.s. games): http://gozips.com/sports/mbkb/gameday/parking

Dave_2010

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on June 13, 2017, 11:33:51 AM
Great to see the ARC on this list. Looking forward to getting to some the Valley venues this year to see them for myself (I've been to ISU for a h.s. tourney, but not for a Redbirds game, and I went to the UNI-Dome once way back when, but not their new arena).

Some other good Midwest mid-major venues to see:

Central Michigan's McGuirk Arena: https://s3.amazonaws.com/media.cml/19663_crowd2f.jpg

Akron's JAR Arena (also where LeBron James played all of his h.s. games): http://gozips.com/sports/mbkb/gameday/parking

I actually prefer Kent State's Memorial Athletics Center to Rhodes Arena in Akron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on June 13, 2017, 11:11:44 AM
Does the insurance required + liquor license not FAR exceed expected revenue from beer sales though?  The beer idea might have worked in 1600's Germany (dirty water and all)....but my guess is the ROI isn't there.

Good point. I forgot about the liquor license, but how much could a liquor license cost in Valparaiso, Indiana?

Sounds like the City granted a 10 "special low-cost liquor licenses" for businesses downtown. (article from 2013) I'm sure there are politics that would go into it and the local restaurants/bars would complain to the city about it.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/special-liquor-licenses-helped-revive-valpo-s-downtown/article_747595be-ae30-510a-986d-adedca5aad50.html

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on June 13, 2017, 12:16:02 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on June 13, 2017, 11:11:44 AM

Good point. I forgot about the liquor license, but how much could a liquor license cost in Valparaiso, Indiana?

Sounds like the City granted a 10 "special low-cost liquor licenses" for businesses downtown. (article from 2013) I'm sure there are politics that would go into it and the local restaurants/bars would complain to the city about it.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/porter/special-liquor-licenses-helped-revive-valpo-s-downtown/article_747595be-ae30-510a-986d-adedca5aad50.html

It's far easier to be a hater than an ideas guy.  Like your thought process, keep up the good posts!

bigmosmithfan1

Typically, arenas go through their own separate process for beer/wine licenses and those are usually granted through a caterer's/event venue license, so it wouldn't be the same procedure as a bar or restaurant. I'm sure there'd be insurance requirements, but there given the rising number of college venues that sell alcohol in suites, club areas, and even concession stands leads one to believe the revenues far outweigh the expenses.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on June 13, 2017, 05:43:38 PM
Typically, arenas go through their own separate process for beer/wine licenses and those are usually granted through a caterer's/event venue license, so it wouldn't be the same procedure as a bar or restaurant. I'm sure there'd be insurance requirements, but there given the rising number of college venues that sell alcohol in suites, club areas, and even concession stands leads one to believe the revenues far outweigh the expenses.

Point taken on colleges introducing alcohol vending.  But is a Lutheran University with heavy family ticketing going to meet the revenue demands of a venue beer/wine license + insuring a previously dry campus that now sells beer/wine?

I'd argue VU isn't a traditional venue or fan mix to support beer/wine sales.  I'll be frank, I don't drink so it's unappealing to me.  Am I the exception at the VU games OR the rule? 

vu72

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on June 13, 2017, 05:43:38 PM

That's the answer to the current situation.  At the 150th the booze was flowing but it was through a caterer.  Same thing now is the hospitality handball court where beer and wine flow.

underdawg

SIU is planning on selling Beer at Basketball and football games this coming year--it's already sold in the club houses at both venues. I believe they may do baseball too, since it has been tradition to allow alcohol consumption for decades by fans who bring coolers and sit on a hill (aka "the hill gang") on the right field side of the park--we  have had little or no problems with that, And I started watching (and sitting there) in 1972

wh

Serving beer has zero marketing value. The game is the sole attraction. If it's a game you want to see, you'll be there whether they serve beer or not. If it's a game you don't want to see, you won't be there whether they serve beer or not.

The only value beer has is its potential to increase concession revenues. Even then it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

underdawg

It's part of the whole experience--otherwise tailgating wouldn't be so popular. I believe it's worth a try given the need for a new revenue stream--If you don't, that's your opinion

wh

Quote from: underdawg on June 13, 2017, 09:59:20 PM
It's part of the whole experience--otherwise tailgating wouldn't be so popular. I believe it's worth a try given the need for a new revenue stream--If you don't, that's your opinion

Beer Availability and College Football Attendance
Evidence From Mid-Major Conferences

Aaron J. Chastain, Stephan F. Gohmann, E. Frank Stephenson

Abstract
We examine the relationship between beer being sold at college football stadiums and both attendance and football revenue for 29 mid-major universities over the 2005-2012 period. Using both ordinary least squares and instrumental variable estimation, no evidence that beer availability increases attendance or football revenue is found.

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1527002515589351

M

I also don't drink and have never seen a reason why drinking is required to have a good time.  I don't know anyone personally who doesn't go to games because of lack of alcohol.

humbleopinion

I remember attending the Horizon tournament in Milwaukee a few years back.  Beer was sold.  I felt it was inappropriate for beer to be sold at a college event.  Alcohol related problems are serious enough on campuses.  Most students (including the athletes on the court) are not over 21.  I don't see how increasing the likelihood of encountering drunk people would enhance the experience of a college basketball game.
Beamin' Beacons

VU2014

I'm not really a big drinker but I occasionally enjoy a beer when I attended sporting events. To be honest I only suggest it as more of a revenue generator, more then a marketing tool. For some people it makes the "game-day" experience more enjoyable. The University may be a "dry"-campus but it really isn't and would not be like they'd be serving students under 21. The University even started serving alcohol during Homecoming now. If they wanted to to start serving beer they could limit it to a roped off beer garden section to keep the family the family/student atmosphere at the ARC. Not sure if they'd break-even on the sales. Just an idea.