• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Must-see mid-major venues

Started by wh, June 08, 2017, 12:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

A 'sobering' article about the social costs associated with tailgating at college football games:

The disturbing truth about college football and rape

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/29/the-disturbing-truth-about-college-football-and-rape/

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on June 14, 2017, 01:35:09 PM
A 'sobering' article about the social costs associated with tailgating at college football games:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/29/the-disturbing-truth-about-college-football-and-rape/

Thanks for the post. Sobering is exactly the right term.

Although "it could happen here," I believe that the small town, small college atmosphere at Valpo does not lend itself to that sort of thing. Certainly not after a Valpo football game regardless of the outcome -- we don't really even tailgate like, for instance, Butler.  Maybe, if we go a little more big time with basketball success in the MVC, but we are still a campus of less than 4K undergrads. D-I schools have thousands of students and huge student sections at games which breeds a crowd mentality.

I guess i'm saying your points are valid, but allowing beer to be served at home basketball games is not going to spur a sudden increase in sexual assault on campus.  And, oh BTW, the concessions set up is so cluggie that  it won't happen anyway until ARC upgrades are implemented. 

FieldGoodie05

"13.5 percent of senior undergraduate women and 2.9 percent of senior undergraduate men had experienced "non consensual penetration involving physical force or incapacitation."

That's unrealistically high, I wonder how much lower that % of women would be if they made a statement that "regretful" was NOT to be included as an affirmative response.  Let's face it, society tells women that sex outside of marriage is regretful but for men it's a triumph. 

I guarantee a healthy portion of the 13.5% reported would not meet the criteria for the aim of this article.  After all, regretful and consensual can go in the same sentence.

I take focus away from the main point, in which I agree, alcohol is abused by the young too much.  But prohibition of anything is ignorant, so here we are...

crusader05

Just stepping in to say that those statistics are more likely to be low vs high.

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 14, 2017, 05:24:23 PM

Thanks for the post. Sobering is exactly the right term.

Although "it could happen here," I believe that the small town, small college atmosphere at Valpo does not lend itself to that sort of thing. Certainly not after a Valpo football game regardless of the outcome -- we don't really even tailgate like, for instance, Butler.  Maybe, if we go a little more big time with basketball success in the MVC, but we are still a campus of less than 4K undergrads. D-I schools have thousands of students and huge student sections at games which breeds a crowd mentality.

I guess i'm saying your points are valid, but allowing beer to be served at home basketball games is not going to spur a sudden increase in sexual assault on campus.  And, oh BTW, the concessions set up is so cluggie that  it won't happen anyway until ARC upgrades are implemented. 

I was making a cautionary counterpoint that there is evidence out there that are social costs associated with selling alcoholic beverages at college sporting events. It may not apply to Valpo or Southern Illinois football games. I have no idea. It's just food for thought. If my comments sounded like a criticism toward you, or underdawg or anyone else with a different point of view, please know that I didn't mean it that way. :)

VULB#62

Didn't take it that way -- understood that the info in the article is valid and posting it was cautionary.  Just contrasting Big Time with all its warts to little old Valpo  ;)

vuny98

13.5% is a BS/misleading number. They ask the question in a way that essentially says "have you ever been really drunk when having sex" and then they get to 13.5% of women were incapacitated and not able to give consent.

The idea that 13.5% of women are forcefully raped on a college campus is an outright lie. That does not excuse someone that takes advantage of a drunk girl in any way, but saying they are one in the same is not accurate in my opinion.

smitty

1 is too many but these politicized statistics need to be called out as false-hoods. Lets get back on topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZrzCAuiw7w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq3Ju_sI_Ew

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: crusader05 on June 14, 2017, 07:43:51 PM
Just stepping in to say that those statistics are more likely to be low vs high.

Likely to be "low" because of underepoeting/victim shame?  Just trying to see your POV.

StlVUFan

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on June 15, 2017, 01:16:06 PMLikely to be "low" because of underepoeting/victim shame?

There's not a doubt in my mind that this is the reason.

Svoboda

If we can get the funding, ours will be a must see.

VULB#62

Quote from: Svoboda on June 28, 2017, 10:49:17 AM
If we can get the funding, ours will be a must see.

ARC or another MVC venue  ???

Valpo29

We need upgrades to the ARC. I don't see us doing a full renovation but we should have chairbacks surrounding the court on the lower bowl and an upgraded concessions, at the very least.

But I guess you could say I don't expect any renovation   :(

At the very least the school needs to figure out the parking situation. If this team didn't have a loyal following then hardly anyone would show up to the games other then students. The parking situation is a very real issue. It shouldn't be a hassle to pay to watch the product.

crusader05

I have heard there might be some changes in parking next year to free up more spots and push more students into the parking garage that often sits half full. Hopefully that will allow for more spots right across from the ARC

Valpo29

Quote from: crusader05 on June 29, 2017, 10:01:17 AM
I have heard there might be some changes in parking next year to free up more spots and push more students into the parking garage that often sits half full. Hopefully that will allow for more spots right across from the ARC

That's just a patch job though and its puts out the students.

I would assume they'd be freeing those spots from the Guild & Memorial Parking Lot? Its quite the hike during the winter from Guild to the parking garbages by Alumni Hall.

Someone suggested knocking down the tiny fitness center and putting parking there, which would be a extremely convenient and the school does need to expand the student fitness center so maybe they can relocate it somewhere else on campus.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Valpo29 on June 29, 2017, 10:34:29 AM
Quote from: crusader05 on June 29, 2017, 10:01:17 AM

That's just a patch job though and its puts out the students.

I would assume they'd be freeing those spots from the Guild & Memorial Parking Lot? Its quite the hike during the winter from Guild to the parking garbages but Alumni Hall.

Someone suggested knocking down the tiny fitness center and putting parking there, which would be a extremely convenient and the school does need to expand the student fitness center so maybe they can relocate it somewhere else on campus.

As students we drove to games because many of us were living offsite.  Anything short of around 500 more available parking spots is a bandaid IMO.  Does Guild/Memorial even hold more than 100 spots?  I can't say as I have ever done the math.

The old method of parking on the grass was still crap.  But at least we always found a spot with my 4x4 vehicle.