• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2015

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 07:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on September 19, 2014, 11:35:37 AM
Gosh I've missed you guys.

Never change.

Irish some people wouldn't go looking for lucky charms. There's magically delicious things in America too.

EddieCabot

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on July 21, 2013, 07:39:13 PM
Meh:  Chris Palombizio to Western Michigan
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/21439254-556/boys-basketball-chris-palombizio-commits-to-wmu.html

Money quote:  "I always wanted to play in the MAC."

I know you guys think I make up a lot of stuff to be funny, but I sure am not making THAT up.

I see he just de-committed from WMU.  Don't know if Valpo would have any interest or not.  Doesn't seem like Bryce is too interested in recruiting Indiana kids, so I doubt anything happens here.

bbtds

Quote from: EddieCabot on September 23, 2014, 09:49:19 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on July 21, 2013, 07:39:13 PM
Meh:  Chris Palombizio to Western Michigan
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/21439254-556/boys-basketball-chris-palombizio-commits-to-wmu.html

Money quote:  "I always wanted to play in the MAC."

I know you guys think I make up a lot of stuff to be funny, but I sure am not making THAT up.

I see he just de-committed from WMU.  Don't know if Valpo would have any interest or not.  Doesn't seem like Bryce is too interested in recruiting Indiana kids, so I doubt anything happens here.

I guess Chris didn't want to play in Kalamazoo and the MAC that bad.   ;)

justducky

Quote from: EddieCabot on September 23, 2014, 09:49:19 PMsee he just de-committed from WMU.  Don't know if Valpo would have any interest or not.  Doesn't seem like Bryce is too interested in recruiting Indiana kids, so I doubt anything happens here.
Just for clarification there are always some Indiana kids who draw his interest and always some that well------------------------ maybe not. I think there is a good chance that Palombizio might fall into that second category, but that is just my speculation.

wh

It appears that he de-committed after taking his official visit this past weekend:

https://twitter.com/INBBallSource/status/513057746061516801

His basketball life seems to have taken quite a few twists and turns.  He broke his foot at the end of his junior year and was out of commission for several weeks.  His AAU coach was quoted as saying that he had picked up some weight, needed to work on his quickness, needed to develop a mid-range jump shot off the dribble, etc.  Prior to his junior year he announced that he was leaving Chesterton to play for some prep school in Indy.  Then he changed his mind and decided to stay in Chesterton.  Then he committed to play for WMU and now de-commits. 

I'm not judging him for changing his mind.  It's not easy to figure out future plans when you're 17 or 18 years old (or much older than that for some).  If I were advising him, I would encourage him to play out his senior season and see what his options are then before making another decision.  I could be wrong, but at this point I think a lot of D-1 schools will be taking the same wait-and-see approach.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: EddieCabot on September 23, 2014, 09:49:19 PMDoesn't seem like Bryce is too interested in throwing away scholarships, so I doubt anything happens here.
fixed it for you
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valporun

I have to agree with wh on this one. Wait to see what Palombizio does this season before getting caught up in recruiting him. Sure, give him a letter or two showing interest, but don't go betting the farm on this kid until he's played some games, and shown some senior in high school level basketball acumen. If his AAU coach says that he needs to develop a mid-range jumper, either it means he likes to play out on the perimeter, or only within 5 feet of the rim. If he can't get a shot from the wing extended, then he might not be the kind of player that we need because he might be afraid to get inside and be physical to draw fouls. wh, am I hitting on a fundamental problem of most of today's basketball players yet, in saying they are afraid of being fouled because they don't want to get hurt, or maybe aren't great free throw shooters?

Pgmado

I'd be shocked if Valparaiso started recruiting him. Shocked.

valpopal

Derrik Smits visited campus today and was offered a scholarship. I have got my fingers crossed.  ;)

LaPorteAveApostle

There are just so many great opportunities for the Zoo Cru, or The VU Crew, or whatever they're called this month, if he signs here.

When his dad comes to visit, t-shirts that read "Smits Happen".

...thinking...

...ok, just one great opportunity.

Dude could be another RAITIS.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

The one big sell we have for him is that he would probably play immediately.  I am still surprised that someone with an IU offer, is still visiting VU
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on September 27, 2014, 08:03:45 PM
Derrik Smits visited campus today and was offered a scholarship. I have got my fingers crossed.  ;)
Quote from: valpotx on September 27, 2014, 08:49:29 PM
The one big sell we have for him is that he would probably play immediately.  I am still surprised that someone with an IU offer, is still visiting VU
This would be a great catch!  Was thinking the same as valpotx for playing time, and also recalling the IU offer.  According to Verbal Commits:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/derrik-smits

maybe the IU offer was taken off the plate? 

LaPorteAveApostle

DRAT I WASN'T EVEN FIRST ... TONIGHT

[tweet]516017894095065089[/tweet]

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on September 27, 2014, 09:37:36 PM
DRAT I WASN'T EVEN FIRST ... TONIGHT

[tweet]516017894095065089[/tweet]

It happened a lomg time ago when Rik was with the Pacers.

LaPorteAveApostle

Well at least I improved it slightly.

VULB#62

There's another thing that no one has brought up.   Rik Smitts played at Marist, a mid-major, and had a great collegiate career at a smallish private, D-I college, yet still made a name for himself.  Being a larger fish in a small pond sometimes works better than having to compete exposure-wise on the grander stage of the BIG 5 world.  Could be that  Dad could have a positive influence here -- if he chose to.  And playing immediately would be the frosting on the cake.

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 29, 2014, 01:17:27 PM
There's another thing that no one has brought up.   Rick Smitts played at Marist, a mid-major, and had a great collegiate career at a smallish private, D-I college, yet still made a name for himself.  Being a larger fish in a small pond sometimes works better than having to compete exposure-wise on the grander stage of the BIG 5 world.  Could be that  Dad could have a positive influence here -- if he chose to.  And playing immediately would be the frosting on the cake.

I have a feeling Rik's take might be opposite since so few of his teammates went to smaller schools.

I always remember that Scottie Pippen went to CENTRAL ARKANSAS.  GO BEARS!!!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 29, 2014, 01:17:27 PMRik Smits played at Marist
SO you're SAYING we should THROW THE FOOTBALL GAME to get in GOOD with the DAD?

BRILLIANT i concur.

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on September 29, 2014, 05:19:26 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on September 29, 2014, 01:17:27 PMRik Smits played at Marist
SO you're SAYING we should THROW THE FOOTBALL GAME to get in GOOD with the DAD?

BRILLIANT i concur.

Best thing to do is play under control, with sportsmanship and respect and OUTSMART the RED FOXES!!!!

How about just "THROW THE FOOTBALL?"

valpopal

Perhaps a positive indication? Pacer great Rik Smits sighted attending Valpo Volleyball's win over Youngstown State this evening! Might be at football game tomorrow.

valpospartan

Quote from: valpopal on October 03, 2014, 09:54:59 PM
Perhaps a positive indication? Pacer great Rik Smits sighted attending Valpo Volleyball's win over Youngstown State this evening! Might be at football game tomorrow.
Is he the tall man I saw standing with members of the BB team early in the match?  He towered over all of them, including Luke Gore.

valpotx

Well, if he looked 7'4", it was probably him ;-).

Maybe he has a daughter that is 6'6" and wants to play volleyball at VU?  Wouldn't that be fantastic lol. 

It would make sense for him to be at the football game tomorrow, with his undergrad team playing one of the schools that offered his son.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: valpotx on October 04, 2014, 02:21:18 AM
Well, if he looked 7'4", it was probably him ;-).

Maybe he has a daughter that is 6'6" and wants to play volleyball at VU?  Wouldn't that be fantastic lol. 

It would make sense for him to be at the football game tomorrow, with his undergrad team playing one of the schools that offered his son.

Better than that, maybe he has a 6-8 (and still growing) H.S. sophomore nephew Cassius Smits, who lives with the Smits and played on the Zionsville varsity last season as a Freshman. Imagine - 7' Derrik becomes a Crusader next year, 7' (by then) Cassius joins the team 2 years later, and the "twin towers" take us to to new "heights" of glory.

LaPorteAveApostle

wh

Derrik Smits tweet:

Official to Valpo this weekend been fun