• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What to do on your summer vacation...

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, June 04, 2013, 08:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Since a good deal of the Internet exists solely for people to give advice to people who are happier than they themselves are, I thought that with the conclusion of the spring sports schedule we might delve into what we feel the boys need to work on in order to hit the ground running in October.

So what are your prescriptions for the lads?

I'll start and say that if we're really going to "go large" then Capo will need to improve his jump shooting, especially 3s, because I have a feeling there will be more attempts than 17 this year.

(I'm reminded of Charles Barkley, barking at A.C. Green [kind of like the black Bryce Drew in certain non-basketball ways] at the line, "Hey, A.C., if God is so good, then why didn't he give you a jump shot?")
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

OK, I'll bite.  LaVonte needs to work on his ball handling.  With no Erik Buggs, teams will try to double LaVonte who will be the primary ballhandler until Carter is eligible.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on June 04, 2013, 08:53:58 AMOK, I'll bite.  LaVonte needs to work on his ball handling.  With no Erik Buggs, teams will try to double LaVonte who will be the primary ballhandler until Carter is eligible.
LaVonte really needs to work on giving up the ball more often when he fails to get a good opportunity off the dribble. That could really hurt this team if he doesn't learn to spread the ball to his team mates more.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Pgmado

Why do people feel the need to knock Capobianco for 3-point shooting? The guy shot 35 percent last year. That's better than Coleman, Boggs and Dority. Maybe wasn't a large sample set, but it's not like he was shooting Buggs numbers.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Pgmado on June 04, 2013, 12:41:39 PMwasn't a large sample set,
there's your answer.
Quote from: Pgmado on June 04, 2013, 12:41:39 PMit's not like he was shooting Buggs numbers.
for his college career, he's 11 for 36, 30.6%.

If he's going to shoot more, he has to do better than that.

(btw, Buggs, 2008-10:  14 for 43, 32.6%)  BOOM goes the dynamite
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

classof2014

I think the key to if we are successful next season rides on the shoulders of the PG play. In games Buggs was out both the offense and defense struggled. I hope Dority learned a lot from Buggs, who was a GREAT PG this past season. I'm not expecting Buggs level defense or ball handling but if we can get consistency out of Dority or whoever turns into the #1 PG I think everything else will fall into place.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: classof2014 on June 04, 2013, 04:39:09 PMI'm not expecting Buggs level defense or ball handling
Then again, you couldn't expect Dority-level scoring out of Buggs, either.  Except for that one game, of course.

historyman

The potential of Keith Carter is that he is as quick as Buggs but also able to score off the dribble and shoot from outside. I still want to emphasize the word potential.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 04, 2013, 01:42:16 PM
Quote from: Pgmado on June 04, 2013, 12:41:39 PMwasn't a large sample set,
there's your answer.
Quote from: Pgmado on June 04, 2013, 12:41:39 PMit's not like he was shooting Buggs numbers.
for his college career, he's 11 for 36, 30.6%.

If he's going to shoot more, he has to do better than that.

(btw, Buggs, 2008-10:  14 for 43, 32.6%)  BOOM goes the dynamite

Only 13% of Bobby's total shot attempts last year were from 3 and he hit 35% of them. I'll take that any day from a 6-9, 250 lb. four.  Contrast that with WSU's Pacher (6-10, 245 lbs., similar minutes).  26% of A.J.'s total shot attempts were from 3 and he only hit 24% of them. There's an example of a big guy who needs to work on his inside game and leave the 3-pt. shooting to smaller people.  I don't think that same challenge applies to Bobby at all. 

If anything, he needs to learn to finish better directly underneath the basket, something I'm sure he and the coaching staff are well aware of.  Going up against our new 7-footer in practice should help out with that.     

LaPorteAveApostle

The point was that his attempts are likely to increase with the presence of Gueye.

So while your observation of 13% is correct--and livable--both the raw number of shots, as well as the percentage, can be expected to rise, for better or worse.  If he were Cory Johnson, that'd be fine.

However, there's no reason to expect that his shooting percentage of the same will, unless he works on it over the summer (hence, this topic).  He's not bad, but he also has to pick his spots better.

There's a reason #No3sBobby was a common refrain on the live chat last year.  (And not from me either.)

But while we're at it LVD and Coleman need to improve their 3P% as well.

HC

Coleman: jump shots
Dority: going left
Capo: conditioning
Vashil: catching the ball and free throws

LaPorteAveApostle

HC, not only is that spot-on, that's freaking hilarious as well.

HC

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 05, 2013, 11:14:06 AMHC, not only is that spot-on, that's freaking hilarious as well.

I try to make my posts be multi-purpose.  Success!

LaPorteAveApostle

What about the incoming class?

Other than "grow" and "add muscle", of course :)

valpopal

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 08, 2013, 10:58:44 AM
What about the incoming class?

Other than "grow" and "add muscle", of course :)

Some of the incoming freshmen already have been working out or playing in open gym with the current team members. I suspect others will be joining once the second summer semester begins and they are on campus full time taking classes. The more they play together, the quicker the team chemistry develops, which is important with so many new faces.

LaPorteAveApostle

That's great...obviously it's hard to comment on players we haven't seen as much, but what do we think about their games that needs work?

ARCInsider

David Chadwick is not getting the attention he deserves.  I continue to hear Vashil mentioned as a key reserve in the post (and I do hope he realizes some of the potential he had), but Chadwick is much more likely to make an impact this season.  He is more polished, a better shooter, and frankly, he can catch and finish.  Don't forget this was a 3-star who signed with a Pac 10 school and had interest from some pretty serious programs. 

Would also love to see things turn around for Coleman this year...he brings athleticism to the wing that I believe we lack at the moment.

sliman

I hope Chadwick turns out to be a major contributor on a good team, but he is a transfer from Rice in Conference USA and not the Pac 10-12.  In two years at Rice, he averaged less than seven minutes a game in 52 games with around 1.5 points and 1 rebound a game.  Those stats don't mean he can't be a big part of the Crusaders, but may explain why he's "not getting the attention he deserves."  Without a doubt, though, he gives us valuable depth on the front line.

ARCInsider

Quote from: sliman on June 10, 2013, 09:05:25 PM
I hope Chadwick turns out to be a major contributor on a good team, but he is a transfer from Rice in Conference USA and not the Pac 10-12.  In two years at Rice, he averaged less than seven minutes a game in 52 games with around 1.5 points and 1 rebound a game.  Those stats don't mean he can't be a big part of the Crusaders, but may explain why he's "not getting the attention he deserves."  Without a doubt, though, he gives us valuable depth on the front line.

David Chadwick originally signed a letter of intent with Washington State, hence the the Pac 10 mention. ;)

I know the numbers aren't very impressive.  But when you see him in the gym with this group of guys, you walk away with the distinct impression that he will contribute and likely more so than Vashil.

classof2014

I believe he will have an impact on this year's team. Sometimes a change of scenery is all a kid needs to breakout. Let us not forget that he spent all last year working with the team so he should be ready to go right away and has spend a full season under Bryce's system just learning it. Do I think he'll be the best player on the team? No. But I do believe he will see ample minutes and play a big roll this season as the #2 to Bobby.

valporun

ARCInsider, Chadwick probably isn't getting the attention you believe he deserves because no one outside of Conference USA has seen him play. Yes, I hope he is working to be ready to crack the rotation of the bench early in the season, but I, as well as many on this board, don't know enough about how he really can do. We know what Vashil has done, and what he needs to work on, but until Chadwick logs some minutes in the lineup, no one has an idea of what he will do for the 2013-14 season.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: classof2014 on June 11, 2013, 06:30:54 AMplay a big roll this season
Ladies and gentlemen, David "Kaiser" Chadwick!!!

Also, he is indubitably smart--look at his academic record.  Hopefully that will transfer into court smarts as well.

ARCInsider

Quote from: valporun on June 11, 2013, 11:16:28 AM
ARCInsider, Chadwick probably isn't getting the attention you believe he deserves because no one outside of Conference USA has seen him play. Yes, I hope he is working to be ready to crack the rotation of the bench early in the season, but I, as well as many on this board, don't know enough about how he really can do. We know what Vashil has done, and what he needs to work on, but until Chadwick logs some minutes in the lineup, no one has an idea of what he will do for the 2013-14 season.

If you're a townie, stop by the ARC from time to time and you can catch some of the guys in action.  I had seen film on David, but until I saw him playing in person I wasn't convinced that he would contribute.

Guys, I think we need to realize that the level of player coming to Valpo has been significantly increased over Bryce's tenure.  I think we all initially viewed Chadwick through our Wille/Witt-colored glasses, assuming he'd be another big, lumbering white guy with minimal skill.  We are now a team of 3-stars with the occasional 4-star mixed in, whereas we used to be a 2-star team with the occasional 3-star (or the once in a lifetime Bryce).

wh

Since you have seen him scrimmage, what are some of his strengths?  Is he more comfortable facing up or posting up?  How is his quickness?  Range?  Is he a good defender?  Is he naturally aggressive ala Kevin or Bobby?  In general what is it that impresses you about him?  Thanks.

vu72

This Chadwick discussion is interesting. My recollection is that chef seemed to think he won't be part of the regular rotation, deferring to Adekoya in the front court. David is taller and if, at 6'9" he is mobile and a decent defender, it would be huge!  Imagine a 7', 6'10" and 6'9" guys roaming around the paint. Fun!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015