• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Over-Under, 2014

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, November 04, 2013, 03:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Quote from: historyman on November 05, 2013, 10:22:23 PM
Quote from: covufan on November 05, 2013, 04:41:15 PMI agree with assists - getting 5 apg is not an easy thing in college basketball, especially for a non-running team that has many guards.

You certainly are going to be surprised when you see this current Valpo team play because they run the fastbreak more than any Valpo team in the past. You better keep your eyes on the ball because the game just got a whole lot faster at the ARC.
i sure hope so! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on November 05, 2013, 10:22:23 PMYou certainly are going to be surprised when you see this current Valpo team play because they run the fastbreak more than any Valpo team in the past. You better keep your eyes on the ball because the game just got a whole lot faster at the ARC.
says the guy who took "under" ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Pgmado

1. Carter -- Under
2. Coleman -- Under
3. Dority -- Over
4. Capobianco -- Under
5. Gueye -- Under
6. Yeo -- Over
7. Fernandez -- Under
8. Williams -- Under
9. Davidson -- No
10. Adekoya -- Over
11. Peters -- Under
12. Chadwick -- Under
13. Team -- Under
14. PPG -- 67.4

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 06, 2013, 09:59:26 AMsays the guy who took "under"

Just because this Valpo team plays up and down the court more than other Valpo teams does not mean Carter will get the difficult to attain 5 assists per game.

I just thought covufan should know this wasn't the slow deliberate team Valpo has experienced in the past. Anybody else who has seen this Valpo team play agree with the observation that they play a lot faster than previous Valpo teams?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

classof2014

Quote from: historyman on November 06, 2013, 11:23:02 AM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 06, 2013, 09:59:26 AMsays the guy who took "under"

Just because this Valpo team plays up and down the court more than other Valpo teams does not mean Carter will get the difficult to attain 5 assists per game.

I just thought covufan should know this wasn't the slow deliberate team Valpo has experienced in the past. Anybody else who has seen this Valpo team play agree with the observation that they play a lot faster than previous Valpo teams?

I would agree with that statement. They are definitely more guard oriented than last year and all the guards are significant scoring threats whenever they have the ball. Last year we were a three-point shooting team, this year we can score from anywhere on the court. This year most of our scoring will come the 1, 2, & 3. While last year it was the 4 & 5.

It will definitely be a fun team to watch and a very uptempo offensive style. Will be fun to watch the games against Oakland and Detroit, two teams known for having an uptempo offense.

But back to the Carter issue, even with an uptempo offense 5 assists a game is a tall order for anybody to obtain. Anybody know does he look to pass or shoot first? That will be a big role in if he is able to achieve 5 assists a game.

historyman

Quote from: classof2014 on November 06, 2013, 12:18:29 PMBut back to the Carter issue, even with an uptempo offense 5 assists a game is a tall order for anybody to obtain. Anybody know does he look to pass or shoot first? That will be a big role in if he is able to achieve 5 assists a game.

From Keith's interview with the athletic dept:

"I'm like a pass-first point guard. I like to get everyone involved. I'll score if we need it but more importantly I like to get my team involved."

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

Quote from: historyman on November 06, 2013, 12:38:16 PM
Quote from: classof2014 on November 06, 2013, 12:18:29 PMBut back to the Carter issue, even with an uptempo offense 5 assists a game is a tall order for anybody to obtain. Anybody know does he look to pass or shoot first? That will be a big role in if he is able to achieve 5 assists a game.

From Keith's interview with the athletic dept:

"I'm like a pass-first point guard. I like to get everyone involved. I'll score if we need it but more importantly I like to get my team involved."

I certainly remember that interview and had it saved from when I posted it on the SLU board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asrI3Eu3710#

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on November 06, 2013, 11:23:02 AMJust because this Valpo team plays up and down the court more than other Valpo teams does not mean Carter will get the difficult to attain 5 assists per game.
oh, i agree they're not necessarily mutually exclusive.  just when i read that i thought, huh, not many have taken the over, but he sure sounds like it...aaaand...nope :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

just for the record, we've 15 participants in our inaugural O/U.

Here's how we look so far...

1) Carter N/A
2) Coleman OVER
3) Dority UNDER WHAT THE HECK MAN
4) Capo OVER I TOLD YOU TO TAKE THE OVER
5) Gueye RIGHT AT IT in 13 minutes no less
6) Yeo OVER
7) Fernandez OVER
8) Williams OVER
9) Davidson no sightings yet
10) Adekoya OVER
11) Peters OVER (45.4!)
12) Chadwick N/A
13) Team OVER

Interesting facts:  the most closely split (7 to 8) categories?  Coleman, Williams, Peters.
The most one-sided?  Capo and Vashil (1 to 14 in favor of UNDER).  Just curious...how'd that go tonight? ;)

LaPorteAveApostle

oh, and the leader after lap 1 of 36ish, SIR TALKSALOT and it's not even close. :)

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 08, 2013, 10:11:00 PM
just for the record, we've 15 participants in our inaugural O/U.

Here's how we look so far...

1) Carter N/A
2) Coleman OVER
3) Dority UNDER WHAT THE HECK MAN
4) Capo OVER I TOLD YOU TO TAKE THE OVER
5) Gueye RIGHT AT IT in 13 minutes no less
6) Yeo OVER
7) Fernandez OVER
8) Williams OVER
9) Davidson no sightings yet
10) Adekoya OVER
11) Peters OVER (45.4!)
12) Chadwick N/A
13) Team OVER

Interesting facts:  the most closely split (7 to 8) categories?  Coleman, Williams, Peters.
The most one-sided?  Capo and Vashil (1 to 14 in favor of UNDER).  Just curious...how'd that go tonight? ;)
Now that we've finished the pre-Carter portion of the schedule, how do things look? 

talksalot

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 08, 2013, 10:18:33 PMoh, and the leader after lap 1 of 36ish, SIR TALKSALOT and it's not even close. :)

Oh Geez, now the pressure is on...

1.  I'm liking KC at 5apg
2.  Depending on the 8-9 man rotation as to whether JC can get over 9.5 ppg
3.  LVD should be over 80%... even tho I said under
4.  "No More3s" will not get to 75 if he wants any playing time
5.  MG right on the number at 2bpg, Vashil will be getting more PT
6.  CY... probably the odd-man-out in minutes
7.  Feeling good about Vashil at 6.5rpg
8.  LW should be OK at about 1 spg
9.  We are over the 25% magic number... so not feeling the red shirt
10. Jubril... the other pleasant surprise
11. Alec.... THE pleasant surprise... 45% is a baseline, not a target
12. Chadwick...sorry Dave... 11th man in a 10 man rotation
13. Team:  Ending December at 10-5 (even 9-6) leaving 16+tournament to play... 20 appears to be a LOCK.
14.  liking the juggernaut we have now...Not sure anyone can keep this team under 60 ppg, and another NAIA on the schedule to pad the stats helps.

and I added band membership ... they've been doing really well with their numbers. 

HC

Wish I would've seen this thread when it started.

78crusader

I'm reserving judgment on this team until we play at Oakland.

Paul

talksalot

Got my tickets for the ORena... looking forward to it... Hope others will sign up for the Pre-Game Alumni & Friends pizza party across the street (it's on the valpo alumni site.   http://alumni.valpo.edu/s/1347/start.aspx   click on "All" (next to featured)...

valporun

Funny how a trip to the NCAA tourney increases numbers in the student section and band.

mvandersee

Quote from: valporun on December 21, 2013, 11:39:14 AMFunny how a trip to the NCAA tourney increases numbers in the student section and band.

Also helps when games are scheduled on weekends. Last year first semester games were:
Fri, Tues, Wed

This year first semester:
Fri, Sun, Sat, Sat

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: HC on December 20, 2013, 11:05:02 PMWish I would've seen this thread when it started.
yeah, where were you?

Current status mid-game (borrrrrrrrrring unless you're Nick Davidson's mom):

PACE (calculated for 32 games we're guaranteed...)
Carter 5.0 apg   A (I'll score it as "under" for right now though)
Coleman 9.5 ppg   O (not looking as slam-dunk as it was earlier)
Dority 80% FTs   O (told you he'd be back)
Capobianco 75 3PT att   U (on pace for 55)
Gueye 2.0 bpg   O (easily.  on pace for 72, which would be the VU season record and leave him TIED FOR 10 ALL TIME)
Yeo 20 mpg    U (Early prospects were looking better than now--around 17)
Fernandez 6.5 rpg   U (probably there to stay--around 5 rpg)
Williams 0.8 spg   O (just needs 7 more to make this a lock)
Davidson redshirt   N (welp)
Adekoya 22 gp   O (over probably)
Peters 45% FG%   O (shooting over 50, so yeah)
Chadwick 35% 3FG%   O (3 for 6)
Team 20 wins   U (on STATISTICAL pace for 19.7, actually.  probably over though given the HL. but i deal in numbers.)
Tppg   82.3  (worth noting that the highest guess was NOT EVEN within TEN ppg of our actual total...)

LaPorteAveApostle

LEADERBOARD

1) SWIFTMUTINY 10
2) covufan 9
3) valpofan11 9
4) valpotx 9
5) wh 8
6) valpo84 8
7) classof2014 7
8) vu72 7
9) talksalot 6
10) Dave_2010 5
11) bbtds 5
12) Kyle321n 5
13) historyman 4

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 21, 2013, 07:22:57 PM13) historyman 4
Always good to be 13th and in last place!!!!! Holy Cow!

a3uge

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 21, 2013, 07:22:57 PM
LEADERBOARD

1) SWIFTMUTINY 10
2) covufan 9
3) valpofan11 9
4) valpotx 9
5) wh 8
6) valpo84 8
7) classof2014 7
8) vu72 7
9) talksalot 6
10) Dave_2010 5
11) bbtds 5
12) Kyle321n 5
13) historyman 4

It's like I don't even exist.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on December 21, 2013, 07:46:57 PMIt's like I don't even exist.
Look, self, I told you I can't be IN the contest when I'm RUNNING the contest.

Quote from: historyman on December 21, 2013, 07:27:37 PMAlways good to be 13th and in last place!
One outta 2 ain't bad.

You're now 15th.

LaPorteAveApostle

CORRECTED LEADERBOARD

1) SWIFTMUTINY 10
2) covufan 9
3) valpofan11 9
4) valpotx 9
5) wh 8
6) valpo84 8
7) classof2014 7
8) vu72 7
9) a3uge 7
10) pgmado 7
11) talksalot 6
12) Dave_2010 5
13) bbtds 5
14) Kyle321n 5
15) historyman 4

talksalot

Quote from: talksalot on December 20, 2013, 07:58:05 PMoh, and the leader after lap 1 of 36ish, SIR TALKSALOT and it's not even close. :)

so... HUH?  5 days ago I was in first place... what... did you go to the monitor and look for flying elbows?... Oh, I know, you're the guy who found the extra 9/10ths of second in the Saint Louis game...

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: talksalot on December 22, 2013, 10:39:03 AM5 days ago I was in first place
...that was November 8th.  and 12 games happened in between.