• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What to do on your summer vacation...

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, June 04, 2013, 08:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARCInsider

I would certainly put more stock in what chef says than what I say, as he has undoubtedly seen him play more.  He also has probably talked more with the staff re: his role than I have. 

That said, I still really like what I have seen from David.  He is definitely capable of hitting 12-15 foot jumpers, and he may occasionally make a three (although I doubt he will be asked to do that often).  He is fairly smooth, can catch the ball back to the basket...didn't see him make that many post moves, but they were solid if unspectacular.  I don't think he will be a banger or a bruiser, but he can hold his own under the basket.  A lesser (possibly much lesser) version of Cory...a versatile big man.  He can move, handle decently and be a threat outside.  Can't speak to his defense much---hard to assess in that setting, at least for me.  He works hard on the floor.

Like I said, I think he will be a nice surprise this season....from what I saw of Jubril (2 games), he is a polar opposite of David.  Very aggressive, tough, crashes the glass, very athletic. 

historyman

From what I remember of Chadwick last season and the very little I've seen of him in the open gym I commend ARCInsider for his glass-half-full outlook. I think David is trying to form the player he wants to become and working hard at it. I don't believe Chadwick has reached anywhere near what we need him to be so he can be effective in the HL. He's not strong enough to take on an Anderson or Minnerath and he doesn't have enough finesse to create much on his own with his moves.

I think Chadwick will be a good role player and probably play a lot at the beginning of the season but unless he makes huge strides he'll lose time as the freshmen develop and grow over the year. He's certainly not going to hurt the team. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

ARCInsider

Quote from: historyman on June 11, 2013, 06:38:06 PM
From what I remember of Chadwick last season and the very little I've seen of him in the open gym I commend ARCInsider for his glass-half-full outlook. I think David is trying to form the player he wants to become and working hard at it. I don't believe Chadwick has reached anywhere near what we need him to be so he can be effective in the HL. He's not strong enough to take on an Anderson or Minnerath and he doesn't have enough finesse to create much on his own with his moves.

I think Chadwick will be a good role player and probably play a lot at the beginning of the season but unless he makes huge strides he'll lose time as the freshmen develop and grow over the year. He's certainly not going to hurt the team.

This is a fair assessment, I think.  I'm a little more optimistic about David's role throughout the season...or maybe I am a little more pessimistic that Adekoya will be ready to make a significant impact this year.  Hmm, need to think on that one.  But you could be absolutely right, historyman...good thoughts.

HC

Lucky for him that Anderson and Minnerath are done in Detroit.

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on June 08, 2013, 01:09:23 PMSome of the incoming freshmen already have been working out or playing in open gym with the current team members. I suspect others will be joining once the second summer semester begins and they are on campus full time taking classes. The more they play together, the quicker the team chemistry develops, which is important with so many new faces.
Where is ca with our open gym reports.  I miss some of his insights into the newer players and any changes in the returning players.

covufan

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: covufan on June 12, 2013, 07:26:38 PMOur opponents will fear our "Keyser Söze"
The greatest trick David Chadwick ever pulled was convincing the VUFZ he didn't exist.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

ARCInsider

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 13, 2013, 12:45:31 PM
Quote from: covufan on June 12, 2013, 07:26:38 PMOur opponents will fear our "Keyser Söze"
The greatest trick David Chadwick ever pulled was convincing the VUFZ he didn't exist.

This made me chuckle...nicely played.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: ARCInsider on June 13, 2013, 01:16:27 PMThis made me chuckle...nicely played.
And I only originally called him "Kaiser" because someone called him a "roll" player.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

talksalot

Yeh, "Croissant" just doesn't have the same ferocity associated with it.

LaPorteAveApostle

SHOULD HAVE GONE WITH DAVID CHAD-WECK

!!!!!!!!!!!

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 15, 2013, 01:28:16 PM
SHOULD HAVE GONE WITH DAVID CHAD-WECK

!!!!!!!!!!!

Or election time in Florida---Chad week??!!!!   ::)

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on June 15, 2013, 10:39:59 PMOr election time in Florida---Chad week??
Now you've just rolled off in a different direction.

valporun

Ok, so we're all in agreement that we hope Chadwick needs to be improving, but no real clear-cut idea of why we feel he needs to be improving. He's never played a game in a Crusader uniform, all we can hope for out of David is some good minutes off the bench to start the season, and hope that maybe he can get into the starting lineup too. At this point, I want to see LaVonte improve some of his ball handling, since he's our point guard until Keith Carter becomes eligible, and hopefully a floor leader shows up over the summer. We don't have an Erik Buggs or Rowdy to lead these guys on the floor anymore, so someone needs to step up over the summer and get the guys working.

I also hope we all let the freshmen get acclimated to the college game, before we try to put all of them in the starting lineup or in the first rotation off the bench. I still sit on that part of the bench where I don't get all hyped up about freshmen until they are in a game, and we can see what they are able to do in a 40 minute game, not video from high school or AAU. The outsider reports don't get excited about players either because of the cliches, "jump out of the gym", "shoots the lights out", and such just puts too much hype on a player that might not be as ready for the real game pace as maybe high school or AAU put them in, where they were the main focus of the offense, instead of a crucial cog in the team's scheme for a long season of working together to win tough team games.

classof2014

I believe that both LVD and Capo will emerge as our leaders. When I watched them last year they seemed to step into leadership roles from time to time. The biggest question is how they will improve over the summer? Will Bobby be able to finish better under the rim? Will LaVonte become a better defender and ball handler? and how will all the new faces fit in? I do have high hopes but realize that none of them have played together before or under Bryce's system.

I'm excited to see how the team plays come October and November. Still a lot of questions that will be answered come game time.

LaPorteAveApostle

Paul Oren early summer observations (via the Twitters; can't embed tweets on our board yet so just pasted):

QuoteValpo Basketball sure looks different without Buggs, Broekhoff, Bogan, Kenney, Boggs and Van Wijk on the floor.

Peters, Yeo, Williams, Davidson and Adekoya going through first week of college workouts. Lots of raw talent in the gym.

Capobianco and Dority have both dropped a lot of weight this summer.

Carter, Chadwick, Yeo and Adekoya win three team scrimmage after Adekoya knocks down 3-pointer and Chadwick cleans up offensive putback

https://twitter.com/NWIOren

LaPorteAveApostle

But wait, there's more!
https://twitter.com/NWIOren

QuoteOne look at Clay Yeo's ankles is all you need to see to know the Valparaiso freshmen are working hard. Two massive blisters.

Both Yeo and Nick Davidson talked about how tough the workouts have been this week, but both did it with a smile on their face.

Yeo: "We're all just in learning mode right now and we're thankful that there are people in teaching mode."

Yeo went on to say that everyone knows the freshmen will make mistakes, but that every mistake will be a learning experience.

Davidson says the newcomers have already formed a strong bond and they've all known each other long before Valpo.

LaPorteAveApostle

and finally:
QuoteA few observations from my first look at the 2013-14 Crusaders...

Capobianco must have zero intention of playing center with his new body frame. Could just be a summer body, but he looks incredibly lean.

Dority also slimmed down and looks like the most experienced player on the floor. Coleman has put on a little muscle.

Gueye moves really well for a big and was very vocal when calling out defenses. Seems mature beyond years.

Chadwick is thrilled to be able to "matter" during the drills. Very anxious to get on the court and contribute.

Lexus Williams looks just like a freshman Erik Buggs. Plus he's wearing No. 15. Very fast, better shooter than Buggs.

Adekoya showed range. Peters cleans up loose ball rebounds. Davidson reminds me of Diebler. Yeo could be best freshman.

Finally, Keith Carter is the best player on the team and I'm not sure it's close.

That's more of a compliment toward Carter than a diss toward anyone else. Team will completely change when he is eligible.

Oh, and finally...Alex Rossi was not in the gym today. Doesn't mean anything, he just wasn't in the gym.

Everything's coming up Milhouse!

ARCInsider

Great to hear that Carter is looking so good...if we can have Carter and Dority in the backcourt together, that could be tremendous.

Sounds like Chadwick is planning on contributing...still expect him to be a surprise contributor.

And, again, for the umpteenth time, Rossi won't be playing.  I'm surprise PO doesn't have this confirmed yet.

Pgmado

I think it's pretty obvious he isn't coming back. No one is talking, hence no confirmation. Haven't seen Rossi in the gym since the team left for Auburn Hills.

valpopal

Quote from: ARCInsider on July 03, 2013, 09:33:16 PM
Great to hear that Carter is looking so good...if we can have Carter and Dority in the backcourt together, that could be tremendous.

Yes, nice to hear such a good report about Carter...and remember that Valpo has an offer to Keith's cousin, Jevon Carter (2014), a 3-star shooting guard. Would be nice to see a Carter-Carter back court sometime in the future!

justducky

Quote from: Pgmado on July 03, 2013, 11:05:20 PMI think it's pretty obvious he isn't coming back. No one is talking, hence no confirmation. Haven't seen Rossi in the gym since the team left for Auburn Hills.
You have to wonder if that heart rhythm problem wasn't fully corrected. Or maybe it was and now we are back to speculating about the hernia or foot issues. Whatever it is that keeps him from the gym I would think the staff would be very patient as long as the medical team continues to hold on to some hope for full recovery. If we are already beyond that point and have heard nothing then somebody has already dropped the ball.

wh

Clay Yeo ‏@ValpoBound5 2h
Just weighed in and I have gained 8 pounds in 3 weeks

vu72

Quote from: wh on July 23, 2013, 01:10:42 PM

Is he up to 160 yet??  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: wh on July 23, 2013, 01:10:42 PM

Perhaps the freshmen are gaining the pounds Bobby C. has lost this summer. I saw him last week, and he looked like he'd really trimmed down a lot.