• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Clay Yeo... is Transferring.

Started by a3uge, June 29, 2014, 03:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/483334521870237697

Per Oren's tweet, Yeo is leaving the program to play at Bethel University.

Sad, I was excited to see Clay mold into a great player - he could catch fire and play hard defense.

He just needed to put on some  muscle to get playing time. I guess this helps our excess guard situation a bit.

vu72

A little surprising.  I would have thought it would have been Nick Davidson before Clay.  It was so hard to judge his overall ability or promise, as he was hurt/sick for much of the year while only being a freshman.  I suspect the depth at the 2/3 coupled with the talent coming in made his choice perhaps easier.  I wish him well playing for Greg.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

As I mentioned in another thread a couple of weeks ago, the routine has been to have last-minute changes to the roster just before the second summer session begins. The second summer session begins tomorrow; therefore, I expected a possible surprise change to the roster this weekend.

This answers the question about the addition of Darien Walker as a shooting guard. Also, speculation about adding a big man to the roster can emerge once again.

I'm sorry to see Clay leave, especially since he seemed to be a good representative on and off the court, and I would have liked to see him play in full health. Clay also brought a lot of interest from his family, friends, and followers in Indiana. I wish him well, and I guess I'll have to retire the following profile poster I had created for him in the upcoming season.

Good luck, Clay!

justducky

This move would seem to make no sense. Therefore I will avoid the speculation and await the confirmation (which I hope is not forthcoming) and a lengthy explanation.

a3uge

Quote from: justducky on June 29, 2014, 04:47:37 PM
This move would seem to make no sense. Therefore I will avoid the speculation and await the confirmation (which I hope is not forthcoming) and a lengthy explanation.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2013-14/13765/yeo-released-from-commitment-to-basketball-program/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

valpopal

Quote from: justducky on June 29, 2014, 04:47:37 PM
This move would seem to make no sense.

I take the explanation as given: Clay wants to be closer to family and friends. Bethel is a good location for Clay. I believe it is right near where Clay's girlfriend attends college and only a half hour from his home.

vu72

His desire to be "closer to home" makes a lot of sense.  He will be 26.17 miles closer to home which, according to Mapquest, will save him 20 minutes per trip!!  ???

Coach Drew's comment sounds just a little bit disappointed in the decision:

"Our university and program have invested a lot into Clay, and we are proud that he has became a better man, a better student and a better basketball player from his time at Valpo," said Drew. "He has expressed a strong desire to be closer to his family and high school friends, so we are releasing him from his scholarship at Valpo to enroll at Bethel College."

So "our program has invested a lot in Clay"  ( read--and now the kid is leaving??)

"we are proud that he has become...a better student..."  (read--he was really struggling to cut the academic requirements)

"he expressed a strong desire to be closer to ...his high school friends..." ( read--the kid was a little immature)

Who knows...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

You always have to take university announcements like this with grain of salt.  They are prescribed and they want to cover themselves to zero controversy.

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on June 29, 2014, 05:08:31 PM
His desire to be "closer to home" makes a lot of sense.  He will be 26.17 miles closer to home which, according to Mapquest, will save him 20 minutes per trip!!  ???
But what matters most importantly, I believe at Bethel he will be near where his girlfriend attends college, and he could see her every day.  :)

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on June 29, 2014, 05:08:31 PM

Coach Drew's comment sounds just a little bit disappointed in the decision:

"Our university and program have invested a lot into Clay, and we are proud that he has became a better man, a better student and a better basketball player from his time at Valpo," said Drew. "He has expressed a strong desire to be closer to his family and high school friends, so we are releasing him from his scholarship at Valpo to enroll at Bethel College."

So "our program has invested a lot in Clay"  ( read--and now the kid is leaving??)

"we are proud that he has become...a better student..."  (read--he was really struggling to cut the academic requirements)

"he expressed a strong desire to be closer to ...his high school friends..." ( read--the kid was a little immature)

Who knows...

Agree with vu72 here ... Bryce clearly isn't happy.  But I believe that if a kid isn't 100% invested in your program, you're better off without him.  So Valpo will move forward.

I noticed that 7 footer Peter Jurkin is leaving IU ... a foreign big man seems like a perfect fit for Valpo. 

LaPorteAveApostle

too bad for us, but better to figure out now that he's not cut out for D1 than to figure it out a couple years down the pike. 

that explains why we are "in the mix" on Josh Fortune, as Chairback astutely noted:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/24/report-providence-transfer-josh-fortune-visits-lsu-colorado-minnesota-in-the-mix/

THAT would be an upgrade.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Very sad to see, as I liked Clay.  On the other hand, I always say that anyone who can't cut it away from home when they are in their own state, is very much a wimp ;).  Learn to live on your own kids, and then you can go home.  If you can't cut it away from family and friends, how will you make a splash post-college?  Try going 1,000+ miles away from home, and then you can talk :).
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

tx, very good comment.  Too bad.   Time to grow up.  I hope for him and I hopefully doubt that he is not leaving Valpo to move an hour east to be closer to his girlfriend.  At the 19-20 year age, you have more ahead of you than focusing on about relationship stuff.  That can wait.

valpotx

Also 72, Bethel is not where Tonagel is HC.  That is Indiana Wesleyan.  Very interesting that Clay is transferring from playing 14 mpg at a D-1 mid-major, in order to be close to home and play at an NAIA school.  Minutes might have been hard next year with all of the guards and his health issues, but why not play at a high level for another season to see what happens, and maximize your opportunity?  Awesome for him that basketball is not his top priority, but especially if your relationship doesn't work out, how much are you going to be kicking yourself for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, when you realize you could have continued playing at the D-1 level?
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on June 29, 2014, 08:24:58 PM
Also 72,Bethel is not where Tonagel is HC.  That is Indiana Wesleyan.  Very interesting that Clay is transferring from playing 14 mpg at a D-1 mid-major, in order to be close to home  and play at an NAIA school.  Minutes might have been hard next year with all of the guards and his health issues, but why not play at a high level for another season to see what happens, and maximize your opportunity?  Awesome for him that basketball is not his top priority, but especially if your relationship doesn't work out, how much are you going to be kicking yourself for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, when you realize you could have continued playing at the D-1 level?

My bad.  Valpo has some connection with Bethel, don't we??

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on June 29, 2014, 09:04:23 PMValpo has some connection with Bethel, don't we??
cough homer drew cough cough
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

justducky

This continues to make no sense to me from either a basketball or distance, personal relationship perspective. Yes I realize that the employment of a logical thought process is not any teenagers' greatest strength but still  ???.  Intuitively you have to bet that there is much more to the story and that we will never know it.

A big disappointment but I wish Clay all the best.

wh

Quote from: justducky on June 30, 2014, 01:45:14 AM
This continues to make no sense to me from either a basketball or distance, personal relationship perspective. Yes I realize that the employment of a logical thought process is not any teenagers' greatest strength but still  ???.  Intuitively you have to bet that there is much more to the story and that we will never know it.

A big disappointment but I wish Clay all the best.

Agreed. Things are never about what they're about. Clay showed a lot of promise and undoubtedly fit prominently into Bryce's plans over the next 3 years. Instead, an Indiana high school all-star with a good start at a good mid major decides to take his game to D-3 Bethel, where he will dunk over smaller people, take it to the rack at will, and score a million points. It seems akin to a high school varsity regular asking the coach if he can move down to the JV. 

IndyValpo

Quote from: EddieCabot on June 29, 2014, 06:37:18 PMI noticed that 7 footer Peter Jurkin is leaving IU ... a foreign big man seems like a perfect fit for Valpo.

Probably the worst player in D1 last year. No skills, no basketball background and is never healthly...please.....no

oklahomamick

Quote from: valpotx on June 29, 2014, 07:36:27 PM
Very sad to see, as I liked Clay.  On the other hand, I always say that anyone who can't cut it away from home when they are in their own state, is very much a wimp ;).  Learn to live on your own kids, and then you can go home.  If you can't cut it away from family and friends, how will you make a splash post-college?  Try going 1,000+ miles away from home, and then you can talk :).

I hear you.  Or going 1,000 miles away from home and not being able to afford a plan ticket home.
CRUSADERS!!!

okinawatyphoon

Too far from home? Give me a break......that is the worst excuse he could have given. Oh well...
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

valpopal

I don't understand the negativity in this thread. I may be wrong, but it appears Clay has decided to transfer to a university in the same town where his girlfriend attends college. My understanding is that they have a very close relationship, and I guess for him the opportunity to see her every day apparently takes priority. I can't blame him for this choice and I respect his decision. Indeed, he is making a sacrifice by stepping down from Division I. I hold no ill will toward him: I will follow his career at Bethel, root for him and wish him well!

covufan

I don't fully understand the transfer, but wish him well!

sliman

Clay was an asset to the program in many ways.  He will be missed, but I join those who wish much success in his new environment and his future endeavors. 

usc4valpo

Pal, I wish him well and I respect your viewpoints, but in reality 1) he will be attending a school with a lower academic reputations (per test scores and whatever media you find), 2) he will have to find a way to find cash to go to school as opposed to relying on a full ride scholarship, and 3) relationships can wait when you are 19 or 20.  These are not the days of Little House on the Prairie anymore.

Then again, there is probably more that meets the eye in this situation.