• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2014

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 09:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

According to VerbalCommits, the only extant offer at this point is Erick Locke.

6'0, 180 lb PG from Oak Park (transferred for jr & sr seasons after 2 years at Brooks College Prep.)
Lost to perennial power Proviso East 67-48 in the Schaumburg sectional final.  Scored 15 in the semi to get them there, Oak Park's first sectional final in 20 years, then added a game-high 21 in the final, 5 boards and 6 steals.  16 of the 21 were in the 2nd half, so you could take it either way:  "still a battler" or "just an opportunist".
Jr year honors: All-conference; honorable mention All-State.

From Brad Spencer, sports editor at OakPark.com:
QuoteIncoming junior transfer Erick Locke, a 6-foot guard who played at Brooks College Prep in Chicago under his father, Bobby, last season, already has several Division I offers on the table, including from Valparaiso, UIC, and Chicago State. Other schools that have shown interest in Locke are Santa Clara, Western Michigan, Northern Illinois and Wright State.
Add Tulsa and every other DI Chicago school to that interest list (DePaul, Loyola, etc.  Bradley too)

On the transfer:
QuoteLast month [May 2012], Bobby Locke was fired from the head coaching position at Brooks, and the Chicago Tribune recently reported it was due to residency issues that involved his son. The Lockes apparently live in Oak Park, but listed the Chicago address of a relative so Erick could be eligible to attend Brooks, according to the Tribune report.
...so...how many people LIVE in Oak Park but lie fabricate addresses & the truth to attend school in Chicago?  Isn't that supposed to be happening the other way around?

Freshman year stats (all I could find, and that's just for 7 games!): 24.3 ppg, 6.1 apg, 3.9 rpg, 3.4 spg

Highlight tape:
Class Of 2014 Erick Locke Is About That Life! One Of Top Scorers In The Country!

Basically an LVD Jr, from 'the City', to the build, to the game.  It will be interesting to see whether the (assumed) emergence of Keith Carter (and Lexus Williams) deter him at all; then again, speaking of LVD, perhaps he ends up as an offense-creator rather than initiator (note the ability to draw contact and finish in the video above), and so finally like LVD ends up a Vinnie Johnson-style 2 rather than a Chauncey Billups-style 1.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Indiana Class of 2014:  w/Interest in VU
http://indianarecruitingguide.com/prospect-rankings/class-of-2014/

8.  Mack Mercer:  6'8" Power Forward, Plymouth H.S.                                                               

Offers:  Indiana State, Ball State, Kent State, Vermont, Rice, Boston College                                                                                                                                                           

Interest:  Notre Dame, Butler, Harvard, Purdue, Illinois, Iowa, Miami Ohio, IUPUI, Illinois State, Xavier, Valparaiso

Has a nice variety of offensive skills, he can score down low and can shoot the 3-pointer well.  Mack has very good post moves including a quick spin move to the baseline and a really nice baby hook on his left side.  He is really good in pick-and-roll and pick-and-pop situations.  For a big man he has great skills.  Only negative that I see is that he isn't the quickest guy, some of his post moves take a little bit to develop.  Mack continues to move up the rankings, and he may not be done yet.

9.  Sean Sellers:  6'6" Small Forward, Greensburg H.S.                                                                  

Offers:  IUPUI                                                                                                                                           

Interest:  Harvard, Eastern Kentucky, Belmont, Wright State, William & Mary, Valparaiso, Stanford, Ball State, Morehead State, Michigan, Butler, Dayton, Indiana State, Evansville, Xavier, Wichita State

Very good all-around offensive player.  Good size for a wing player and is one of the best shooters in the state. Rebounds pretty well, but will need to pack on some muscle to get better in that aspect of his game.  Sean is just an all-around scorer on the offensive end.  I have been impressed with the way he has handled the ball recently, got to the rim off the dribble quite a bit.  He is also a capable defender.

15.  Justin King:  6'5" Small Forward, Bowman Academy                                                         

Offers:  Northern Illinois                                                                                                                                                                     

Interest:  Marquette, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State, Ball State, Valparaiso, IUPUI

Very athletic, runs the court well and finds ways to score.  King isn't the greatest shooter, but he can hit some mid-range shots and gets some "garbage" points as well.  Rebounds the basketball well and does a nice job of securing the ball, then looking to make the outlet pass.  With Bowman graduating 3 Division I prospects last season, look for Justin to take advantage of being "the guy" this year.

28.  Grant Sims:  6'2" Point Guard, Bloomington North H.S.                                                   

Offers:  Miami (OH), Portland, Kennesaw State                                                                                                                                                                     

Interest:  Xavier, Butler, Indiana State, Valparaiso, Toledo, Eastern Kentucky, DePaul

Grant is a great athlete with explosive jumping ability.  He is very good at attacking the rim off the dribble, an aggressive offensive player.  He also shoots the ball well from the perimeter.  Grant can play either the point or off the ball at the next level in my opinion.

29.  Tye Wilburn:  5'10" Point Guard, Lake Central H.S.

Offers:  IPFW

Interest:  Ball State, Northwestern, Vaplarasio (sick), Indiana State, DePaul, Central Michigan, Detroit

Tye is an extremely quick point guard who can break a defense down off the dribble.  He is pretty strong for his size, making up for what he lacks in height.  His perimeter shot has been improving.  Great passer.

32.  Aaron Korn:  6'4" Shooting Guard, Frankton H.S.

Offers:  Miami (OH), Rollins (DII), Hillsdale (DII), St. Francis (NAIA), Indiana Wesleyan (NAIA)

Interest:  IPFW, Iowa, Indiana State, Valparaiso, Ball State, Wright State, Mercer, Wisconsin, Stetson, William & Mary

I really enjoy watching Aaron play.  He has great body control around the rim and does a good job of penetrating off the dribble.  Aaron shoots it well from the perimeter too.  He seems to just have a knack for scoring the ball.  Also he is a very good rebounder for his size.  He is a very underrated athlete, Aaron can jump out of the gym.

34.  Saikou Jallow:  6'3" Point Guard, Bloomington North H.S.                                               

Offers:                                                                                                                                                                     

Interest:  Indiana State, Toledo, Valparaiso, Miami OH, Arizona State, Virginia, IUPUI

Good athlete who is very poised when running the fast break.  Saikou is a pretty good shooter, but needs to keep working on his perimeter game.  I like the way he can penetrate a defense.  All-around good ball handler and decision maker.  Saikou has good size for point guard too.  I really like his game.

36.  Jacob Johnson:  6'6" Small Forward, Mooresville H.S.

Offers:  Northern Colorado

Interest:  Purdue, Xavier, Evansville, Indiana State, Valparaiso, Dayton, Butler, Nebraska, Loyola, Dartmouth

Jacob is a great athlete and can jump out of the gym.  He is good at getting to the rim off the dribble from the wing or baseline.  He can hit an open 3-point shot too.  Really needs to work on handling the ball with his right hand.

-----
That last sentence was not one I expected to read in a Top-50 list.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Kyle321n

I only know the 2 local guys so I can comment on them.

King would be awesome. I think he's the goods.
As an LC grad I would love to see Tye Wilburn come to Valpo.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

FWalum

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 17, 2013, 09:45:13 PM
Indiana Class of 2014:  w/Interest in VU
http://indianarecruitingguide.com/prospect-rankings/class-of-2014/

8.  Mack Mercer:  6'8" Power Forward, Plymouth H.S.                                                               

Offers:  Indiana State, Ball State, Kent State, Vermont, Rice, Boston College                                                                                                                                                           

Interest:  Notre Dame, Butler, Harvard, Purdue, Illinois, Iowa, Miami Ohio, IUPUI, Illinois State, Xavier, Valparaiso

Has a nice variety of offensive skills, he can score down low and can shoot the 3-pointer well.  Mack has very good post moves including a quick spin move to the baseline and a really nice baby hook on his left side.  He is really good in pick-and-roll and pick-and-pop situations.  For a big man he has great skills.  Only negative that I see is that he isn't the quickest guy, some of his post moves take a little bit to develop.  Mack continues to move up the rankings, and he may not be done yet.

9.  Sean Sellers:  6'6" Small Forward, Greensburg H.S.                                                                  

Offers:  IUPUI                                                                                                                                           

Interest:  Harvard, Eastern Kentucky, Belmont, Wright State, William & Mary, Valparaiso, Stanford, Ball State, Morehead State, Michigan, Butler, Dayton, Indiana State, Evansville, Xavier, Wichita State

Very good all-around offensive player.  Good size for a wing player and is one of the best shooters in the state. Rebounds pretty well, but will need to pack on some muscle to get better in that aspect of his game.  Sean is just an all-around scorer on the offensive end.  I have been impressed with the way he has handled the ball recently, got to the rim off the dribble quite a bit.  He is also a capable defender.

15.  Justin King:  6'5" Small Forward, Bowman Academy                                                         

Offers:  Northern Illinois                                                                                                                                                                     

Interest:  Marquette, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State, Ball State, Valparaiso, IUPUI

Very athletic, runs the court well and finds ways to score.  King isn't the greatest shooter, but he can hit some mid-range shots and gets some "garbage" points as well.  Rebounds the basketball well and does a nice job of securing the ball, then looking to make the outlet pass.  With Bowman graduating 3 Division I prospects last season, look for Justin to take advantage of being "the guy" this year.

28.  Grant Sims:  6'2" Point Guard, Bloomington North H.S.                                                   

Offers:  Miami (OH), Portland, Kennesaw State                                                                                                                                                                     

Interest:  Xavier, Butler, Indiana State, Valparaiso, Toledo, Eastern Kentucky, DePaul

Grant is a great athlete with explosive jumping ability.  He is very good at attacking the rim off the dribble, an aggressive offensive player.  He also shoots the ball well from the perimeter.  Grant can play either the point or off the ball at the next level in my opinion.

29.  Tye Wilburn:  5'10" Point Guard, Lake Central H.S.

Offers:  IPFW

Interest:  Ball State, Northwestern, Vaplarasio (sick), Indiana State, DePaul, Central Michigan, Detroit

Tye is an extremely quick point guard who can break a defense down off the dribble.  He is pretty strong for his size, making up for what he lacks in height.  His perimeter shot has been improving.  Great passer.

32.  Aaron Korn:  6'4" Shooting Guard, Frankton H.S.

Offers:  Miami (OH), Rollins (DII), Hillsdale (DII), St. Francis (NAIA), Indiana Wesleyan (NAIA)

Interest:  IPFW, Iowa, Indiana State, Valparaiso, Ball State, Wright State, Mercer, Wisconsin, Stetson, William & Mary

I really enjoy watching Aaron play.  He has great body control around the rim and does a good job of penetrating off the dribble.  Aaron shoots it well from the perimeter too.  He seems to just have a knack for scoring the ball.  Also he is a very good rebounder for his size.  He is a very underrated athlete, Aaron can jump out of the gym.

34.  Saikou Jallow:  6'3" Point Guard, Bloomington North H.S.                                               

Offers:                                                                                                                                                                     

Interest:  Indiana State, Toledo, Valparaiso, Miami OH, Arizona State, Virginia, IUPUI

Good athlete who is very poised when running the fast break.  Saikou is a pretty good shooter, but needs to keep working on his perimeter game.  I like the way he can penetrate a defense.  All-around good ball handler and decision maker.  Saikou has good size for point guard too.  I really like his game.

36.  Jacob Johnson:  6'6" Small Forward, Mooresville H.S.

Offers:  Northern Colorado

Interest:  Purdue, Xavier, Evansville, Indiana State, Valparaiso, Dayton, Butler, Nebraska, Loyola, Dartmouth

Jacob is a great athlete and can jump out of the gym.  He is good at getting to the rim off the dribble from the wing or baseline.  He can hit an open 3-point shot too.  Really needs to work on handling the ball with his right hand.

-----
That last sentence was not one I expected to read in a Top-50 list.
Just a little caution when using this website as it is no longer being kept up to date.  The young man who put it together is now working for IUPUI and NCAA rules prevent him from doing this anymore.  The rankings he has for these players would not be the end of season rankings for the 2014 class.
http://indianarecruitingguide.com/2013/03/future-of-the-indiana-recruiting-guide-an-open-letter-to-fans-players-coaches/
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

Interesante.  Thanks for the update.

valpopal

From Twitter today:

Kyle Neddenriep ‏@KyleNeddenriep  Valpo, Indiana State, Belmont, Xavier, Ball State among schools with coaches watching Plymouth's Mack Mercer (2014) and MBA Select.

LaPorteAveApostle

Cool, thanks.  It IS a pretty awesome basketball name...

other tweets:

Mack Mercer ‏@MackMercer 12 Apr
Dayton and Valpo were in today
RETWEETS
FAVORITES
2:07 PM - 12 Apr 13 ·

Mack Mercer ‏@MackMercer 9 Apr
S/O to my brother @ValpoBound5 for being an Indiana all star
RETWEETS
FAVORITES
9:01 AM - 9 Apr 13

(Other things I learned from this excursion:  Clay Yeo's GF hates watching basketball.
https://twitter.com/MackMercer/status/317426965332238336
Clay & Mack work out together on the semi-reg, and Mack went down to the state finals to cheer for him.  A big deal?  Getting up at 3 AM on a Saturday morning when you're a teenager...I'd say that qualifies as a pretty good friend.  They worked out together the day after Triton's state final, btw!)

Mack is one of the core 6 of the 2014 team, no small feat.

wh

Is Triton's Clay Yeo our first recruit from North Central Indiana since Scot Blum (O.D.) 25 years ago?  It would be good to land Mercer just a year later and hopefully make this area a regular part of our recruiting footpath in addition to our new Illinois connection. 

lowposter

Mack Mercer is the real deal.  This would be an outstanding recruit for the program.

lowposter

chef

Tommy Kurth is from North Central Indiana.

valpopal

Quote from: lowposter on April 21, 2013, 07:28:25 AM
Mack Mercer is the real deal.  This would be an outstanding recruit for the program.

lowposter

Mack Mercer has just received an offer from Ball State.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpopal on April 22, 2013, 05:52:05 PMBall State
*yawn.  wake me when they get mediocre again.

does he have a VU offer?  does anyone know whether there are any extant offers besides Erick Locke?

Pgmado

valpopal

Quote from: Pgmado on April 22, 2013, 11:57:14 PM
Tai Odiase.

Yes, another Chicago player Valpo just offered on Monday.

historyman

Quote from: Pgmado on April 22, 2013, 11:57:14 PMTai Odiase.

Goodness, for a minute there I thought you were saying TODAY in pig latin.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on April 23, 2013, 05:35:14 AMGoodness, for a minute there I thought you were saying TODAY in pig latin.
quote of the week right there.

Tai plays for Meanstreets, which is pretty sweet.  Holba plays for them as well; Wideman and Wilburn of LC too.  Drake Harris, who just committed to UM for football, is an absolute stud too.  Stacked team.

LaPorteAveApostle

The second offer to go out, as reported earlier, is Tai Odiase.

NEED MOAR THIS

:) 6'8, 205 lb Pf/C from Homewood-Flossmoor (AAU Meanstreets, as above). 
:( Played "limited minutes" as a junior behind two H-F senior forwards, per chicagohoops. 
:) Team was one of the best in Illinois (ranked in top 25) 
:( until being stunned by Sandburg in the regional semi (remember, Illinois is backwards too) to finish at 21-6.

sensing a theme here...

From Scott Burgess at ChicagoHoops.com:
QuoteWhen looking at the breakout candidates this spring in the class of 2014 one of the guys that jumps to mind is Homewood-Flossmoor power forward Tai Odiase.  The long and angular four-man stood out in limited minutes for HF as a junior.  He runs the floor great in transition.  The 2014 prospect is efficient with his touches and finishes around the hoop with both power and touch.

Odiase rebounds at a good clip.  His length and athleticism play well on the defensive end.
http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php/2011-08-04-18-06-26/1155-tai-odiase-ready-to-breakout

Self-analysis:
Quote"I think this season was better than I expected.  I didn't expect to make all-conference.  I used my minutes well.  I played my role and did what I had to do.  My explosiveness really improved.  I feel myself getting a little stronger.  I am running the floor better and my IQ is getting better."

Playing behind two talented seniors in the frontcourt in Maurius Hill and Lamar Wofford-Humphrey gave Odiase a chance to learn the game and what it takes to be the best he can be.  What did he pick up from them?

"That killer mindset that they have.  Especially Maurius.  I tried to adapt that into my game."
It's always good for recruits to have googlable names.  I think H-F has that as a prereq for their roster.

Interest:
Quote"UIC, SIU, Western Illinois, Southern Illinois, Northern Kentucky, and Tennessee has talked to me."

Odiase recently took an unofficial visit to UIC to learn more about them.

"The campus is nice.  I talked to the coach a little more about the program.  They take their education seriously.  They don't see you as a player.  They see you as a young man and try to give you the tools for later in life."
It appears we may be his first offer, as this interview is fewer than 3 weeks old.  He unfortunately did not tweet about said offer or anything about VU, and he tweets about, uh, let's just say, a lot of things.  As far as "the campus is nice", well, tell that to the visiting MVC committee, why don't you.

Highlights (watch for 32 in the red/white H-F jerseys; 24 in the AAU games):
Tai Odiase PF #32 - Highlights

Athletic much?  Luckily his teammates miss so many layups that he has the chance to be right there for CLEAN-UP ON AISLE SEVEN.  But positioning is good, and ball instincts are there.  Nice basic post move at 1:11ff.  Notice that he's blocking shots, but not trying to send souvenirs into seats; he's trying to retain possession, which is both humble and helpful.

Check out the jumper top of the key at 2:32ff!  Though on one hand you hate to see a shot like that--low percentage without the reward of the 3 pointer--it's nice to see an easy touch and comfortable range.  THEN COMES THE BLOCK PARTAY.  I especially enjoy the "lather rinse repeat" of 3:45 to 4 (notice it's the same possession it keeps happening.  what did Einstein say about insanity?) Somewhere Mo Smith is smiling and nodding.  He's so athletic that even when he's out of position, he's not. 

Mo Smith today (artist's impression)

Obviously the trick will be whether he can pull that off when everyone down low is his height but larger.  When I was 6'8", I could shoot over 6'3 punx all day.

Any teammate of Holba's has to have a dunk video (final clip of highlights above):
Tai Odiase's Poster Dunk
AND ONE
Like a shark, he's just waiting, just lying in the weeds a-mixing his metaphors, until LOOK OUT RICHARD DREYFUSS AAAAAUUUUUGGGHHHHHHH

Very old but hence slightly amusing highlight tape (almost 4 years) with his brother, Ken:
Ken and Tai Odiase Basketball Highlights(Class of 2014)

Twitter "Kobe Abdul-Jordan", which ... :  https://twitter.com/Tai_GetBUCKETS

classof2014

Reading some stuff on Odiase, he might be the best recruit of the 2014 season. ESPN gave him a 3 star ranking and a score of 79. He has shown interest in Northern Kentucky, Loyola, UIC, Southern Illinois, Western Illinois, and of course Valpo. If we can sign him, we will have a really good one, two punch with Adekoya and now Odiase who is already 6' 8" 190 lbs, who probably has some growing left in him. If he can add on a little bit of muscle, he can easily be 6' 10" 230 lbs by the time he reaches college level.

Hopefully we can get him to sign, as he sees Valpo has the best record out of the schools he is looking into and it seems like he doesn't want to travel too far. Hopefully we can get him to sign with VU.

valpopal

Looking at Twitter today, it appears 2014 class members D.J. McCall and Mack Mercer wouldn't mind playing together at Valpo. The following twitter message was sent by McCall and re-tweeted by Mercer:

D.j. McCall 1⃣2⃣@DBayy   13h  @MackMercer needs to go be a Crusader & play in the ARC!

LaPorteAveApostle

Wow--great news!  Is there a McCall offer or just interest?

valpopal

Quote from: classof2014 on April 23, 2013, 09:31:59 AM
If we can sign him, we will have a really good one, two punch with Adekoya and now Odiase who is already 6' 8" 190 lbs, who probably has some growing left in him.

Adekoya seems to agree:

Homewood Flossmoor 2014 PF Tai Odiase informs me he picked up offer from #Valpo today
Retweeted by Jubril Adekoya

FWalum

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 23, 2013, 10:24:16 AM
Wow--great news!  Is there a McCall offer or just interest?
Last I knew no offer, but one of his tweets late last night said "This upcoming weekend could determine my college future".  I think this was after the SAC banquet in which Bryson Scott (Purdue) captured the Gooden Award as conference player of the year and his Concordia coach Josh Eggold, who guided the Cadets to the Class 3A state runner-up, and North Side's Shabaz Khaliq, who guided the Redskins to the SAC regular season title, were co-SAC Boys Coaches of the Year.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

FWalum

Getting into this Twitter thing, just not sure I really get why you want to tell so many people so much drivel and personal stuff... but just noticed that D.J. also tweeted a few days ago that he is for sure going to college close to home so it sounds like he may be getting ready to at least verbal with someone. I will try to find out as much as I can.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: FWalum on April 23, 2013, 03:30:05 PMjust not sure I really get why you want to tell so many people so much drivel and personal stuff

and bad grammar and horrific spelling and really poor choices of words and unintelligible hashtags and inexplicable Bible verses amidst profane rap lyrics and ... gosh I gotta sit down.  i'm just now old enough to run for president but i feel more like pope aged instead.