• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2014

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 09:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Northern Kentucky might not have an invitation to the Horizon League yet, but if recruiting means anything, the Norse are certainly acting like a Horizon League member. According to reports, Northern Kentucky busily offered scholarships to at least 5 Indiana high school players for 2014 just today: Sean Sellers (Greensburg), Tayler Persons (Kokomo), Jacob Johnson (Mooresville), Zach McRoberts (Carmel), and C.J. Coleman (Mt. Vernon). I know some of those players have been on the radar for Valpo and other HL teams in the past. Supposedly, Sellers even visited VU last fall.

vufan75

Quote from: valpopal on April 23, 2013, 10:37:29 AM
Quote from: classof2014 on April 23, 2013, 09:31:59 AM
If we can sign him, we will have a really good one, two punch with Adekoya and now Odiase who is already 6' 8" 190 lbs, who probably has some growing left in him.

Adekoya seems to agree:

Homewood Flossmoor 2014 PF Tai Odiase informs me he picked up offer from #Valpo today
Retweeted by Jubril Adekoya

A chicagohoops.com article on recruiting news dated 4/23/13

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php/2011-08-04-18-06-26/1250-news-and-notes-from-scott-burgess

News And Notes From Scott Burgess

Published on Tuesday, 23 April 2013 14:00 Written by Scott Burgess

Here are a few recruiting notes from around the college recruiting trail.

St Rita 2014 shooting guard Dominique Matthews received an offer from Toledo.  Matthews is an underrated guard that had a big junior year and can really score.

Cahokia junior point guard CJ Rivers had a big day Saturday at the Hoosier Jam Fest for the Southwest Jets.  On Monday Rivers added an offer from Brown to his collection.

Jalen Henry rebounded the ball consistently over the weekend.  Monday the Springfield Southeast power forward received an offer from Hampton.  The junior also added an offer from SIU-Edwardsville over the weekend.

Class of 2013 De La Salle unsigned senior Justin Earls had a nice weekend at Hoosier Jam Fest for the Illinois Warriors. The active power forward will visit Hampton this upcoming weekend.

The Illinois Celtics 16U have a group of monster 2015 wings. Two of them Aaron Jordan (Plainfield East) and KJ Santos (Geneva) picked up offers from Fairfield on Sunday.

Brother Rice 2013 forward Alex Majewski made it official this past Friday and signed his national letter of intent with Texas Pan American.  He will stick with his commitment after the coaching change.

Homewood Flossmoor 2014 power forward Tai Odiase has a ton of upside with his athleticism, instincts on defense, and potential on the offensive end.  Odiase tells me he picked up his first scholarship offer courtesy of Valparaiso.  He visited the Valpo campus on Monday.

valpopal

Quote from: vufan75 on April 24, 2013, 05:18:13 PM

Homewood Flossmoor 2014 power forward Tai Odiase has a ton of upside with his athleticism, instincts on defense, and potential on the offensive end.  Odiase tells me he picked up his first scholarship offer courtesy of Valparaiso.  He visited the Valpo campus on Monday.[/b]

I wouldn't be surprised if Valpo didn't have a couple more visits this weekend.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpopal on April 24, 2013, 06:07:26 PMI wouldn't be surprised if Valpo didn't have a couple more visits this weekend.
Can you share who?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 24, 2013, 07:21:53 PM
Quote from: valpopal on April 24, 2013, 06:07:26 PMI would be surprised if Valpo didn't have a couple more visits this weekend.
Can you share who?

Not able to tell at this time, but Darreon Reddick apparently had a home visit from Valpo today.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

zvillehaze

Quote from: vu72 on April 24, 2013, 09:18:47 PM
Could it possibly be this duo?:

http://pennstate.247sports.com/Article/2014s-Peyton-Allen-and-Darreon-Reddick-take-multiple-visits-78184

Per their AAU coach, Valpo visited Darreon Reddick and C.J. Rivers yesterday.  Their team is in Louisville this weekend.  Valpo saw them play last July at a tournament in Merrillville ... Peyton Allen played very well during that tourney.

FWalum

(announcer) Concordia has never had to play from behind in this state finals game so it will be interesting to see how that affects their attack....

(announcer) I guess that answers that!

McCall is doing visits this weekend, not sure exactly where just yet.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

The third offer out (as in, to be marked here, if perhaps not chronologically), as mentioned in the article linked above, is Mack Mercer.

It has not shown up on other sites, but since this comes from the horse's mouth (and the dude IS a horse), you have to figure he wouldn't be making it up, right?

IT'S A GREAT BASKETBALL NAME

6'9, 210 lb PF from Plymouth (IN) HS (AAU MBA Select).  Reckoned the #53 PF in the 2014 class by Verbal Commits; #46 to ESPN.  Part of the "Core 6" Juniors that go about scrimmaging the IN All-Stars, so he's roughly one of the top 6 kids in his class in the state.

Junior year stats19 ppg, 8.5 rpg for 21-4 Plymouth (who lost 70-60 OT to Nick Davidson and the Andrean 59ers in the regional final). Mercer fouled out on what the Plymouth Pilot News called "a phantom offensive foul far away from the ball very shortly into the overtime period" (hometown paper) but what the NWI Times described as "[Skyler] Moss, who was pestered inside through the entire Class 3A regional championship game, found an opening he could drive a mack truck through. With Plymouth 6-foot-9 forward Mack Mercer out on fouls with 2:35 left in overtime, Moss scored six straight points and gave Andrean a cushion that led to a 70-60 regional title."

Perspective.  nick davidson's hometown paper

Mercer had an amazing old-timey regional day with 32 points, 17 rebounds, and 13 (!!!) blocked shots (albeit by the Pilot News' count ("nothing short of brilliant"), not the NWI Times (11, an "inside presence").  Perspective, remember?)

I assume his coach, Ryan Bales, is the former NJSPHS star.  If you surmised all that too, congrats!  We would get along.  If not, you just have to have been there.  Sorry.  You know.

come on, son, you're 6'9 and he a point guard

From Kyle Neddenriep at the Indy Star:
QuotePlymouth's Mack Mercer, a core selection, is one of the 15 uncommitted Junior All-Stars when it comes to his college plans. The 6-9 Mercer was offered a scholarship this week by new Ball State coach James Whitford, adding to a list that includes Valparaiso, Belmont, Boston College, Indiana State, Kent State, Vermont, Rice and Miami of Ohio.

Mercer took an unofficial visit to Belmont recently and hopes to fit in an official visit to Boston College sometime this summer. Indiana State is also high on his list, though schools such as Clemson and Mississippi State have also shown recent interest.

"(Being farther) away from home wouldn't have any impact where I go," he said. "I'd love to get into a place with a little warmer weather than Plymouth, but we'll see where it goes. It doesn't really matter how far from home."

Mercer, who averaged 19.0 points and 8.5 rebounds as a junior, said this summer he would like to show that he's "more than just a 6-9 guy who can shoot."

"I want to prove that I can play with the big boys — the best players in the country," he said. "That's what I'm trying to prove this summer."
yeah that same article zville linked above. eMagpie!

get back to where you once belonged

Offered:
QuoteValparaiso, Belmont, Boston College, Indiana State, Kent State, Vermont, Rice and Miami of Ohio
It appears we may be pretty recent, as we're the only one of the 7 not listed by Verbal Commits; 247 has "Vermont" instead of us, which...get your VUs straight, ok? :) (Looking at you too, Cornelius Vanderbilt.)  Also Ball State now too.

Interest:
The above plus Butler, Clemson, Harvard, Indiana, Loyola Chicago, Notre Dame, Purdue, Xavier (247 on Mack Mercer)
247 further ranks only BC, Belmont, and ISU as "warm" interest by Mack, and this week some guy there predicted ISU as the ultimate winner.  Yawn.

If you want to see a whole lot of angry Indiana fans split over whether he should get an offer or not, feel free to read the comments here:  angry crimson and crean-types here

I've got two words for y'all gettin' big in yo britches:  "Kelvin" and "Sampson".  I'll even text them to you (783 times).

Also, "Mike Davis"!  ...That said, if they were to offer, Mercer says (also at link)
QuoteBut if Crean and the Hoosiers were to offer him, Mercer said his decision would be pretty easy to make.
"You can't get much better than IU in basketball," he said.

Highlights: THIS IS WHAT'S WRONG WITH AMERICA PEOPLE ALL THAT IS POSTED ALL OVER THE LIVELONG TUBEPLACE ARE DUNKS JUST DUNKS THANKS FOR NOTHING CHRIS BERMAN

FINE HERE YOU GO HERE ARE SOME DUNX I HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY
Double Stuff!.wmv
...DOESN'T HAVE A WHOLE LOT OF UPZ FOR BEING LIKE SIX FOOT TWELVE...

McFlush!.wmv
STRATEGERY:  GENERALLY IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA TO LEAVE THE REALLY TALL KID COMPLETELY UNGUARDED UNDER THE HOOP

Mack Mercer Jam, Dec. 23, 2011
on the other hand, has ninja-like cloaking ability to confuse enemy defenders...

The "Mishawaka might've made mighty Mack Mercer mad" dunk!.wmv
NOW WE ARE COOKING WITH GAS
Pros:  lanky, quick, good outside shot (not that you'd know it from the above)
Cons:  looks like the kind of kid you always see in a Wright State jersey, from the build to the haircut.  I mean, right? Can't you just see him in...

yipes. no, don't do that, Mack.  Coach Holtz says, "son, that's not a four year mistake, that's a forty year mistake"

Twitter:  do not click here for at least 48 hours so you don't know far more than you want to about his father

interesting facts:  only child (teammate David Lee was/is living with the family);
gave up a promising swimming career;
secretly wants to play the point (which, NIGHTMARE mismatches people!);
big Star Wars fan (tasteful).
http://www.thepilotnews.com/content/one-one-mack-mercer
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

HC

I hear he is a collector of rare butterflies as well. You are spot on with the WSU thing  :thumbsup:

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: HC on April 26, 2013, 06:34:53 AMYou are spot on with the WSU thing
i know, right?  i wish i weren't.

ALL YOUR SKINNY WHITE DUDES WITH SHORT HAIR ARE BELONG TO US

vufan75

Quote from: zvillehaze on April 25, 2013, 11:28:08 AM
Quote from: vu72 on April 24, 2013, 09:18:47 PM
Could it possibly be this duo?:

http://pennstate.247sports.com/Article/2014s-Peyton-Allen-and-Darreon-Reddick-take-multiple-visits-78184

Per their AAU coach, Valpo visited Darreon Reddick and C.J. Rivers yesterday.  Their team is in Louisville this weekend.  Valpo saw them play last July at a tournament in Merrillville ... Peyton Allen played very well during that tourney.

Ran across this 2014 recruiting news on Twitter earlier today. Roy Schmidt of Illinois Prep Bullseye said, per @swjetsbbclub 6'3 2014 CG Darreon Reddick & 6'3 2014 PG C.J. Rivers will visit Valpo this Saturday.

valpopal

Two more offers extended: Darreon Reddick and CJ Rivers both received offers during their visits to campus today.

LaPorteAveApostle

The offer train keeps chugging with Darreon Reddick coming on up!

6'3", 211 lb combo guard out of Belleville East (2014)
AAU:  SW IL Jets

2-star to Scout, but ranked as point guard.  Unranked shooting guard to Rivals.  ChicagoHoops has him as the #16 prospect in the state in his class, and the #2 PG (he would also be the #2 SG if he were ranked as such).  Thus, two takeaways:  next year's class in Illinois is frontcourt-heavy, and he is really good.
ChicagoHoops' #20 Illinois Prospects, Class of 2014

Note that only 3 of these top 20 have (verbally) committed so far; a while back some were expressing nerves that our 2014 class has not started out as quickly as 2013 did.  Based on the looks of this list, at this rate, pretty much everyone else is freaking out too—somewhat needlessly, I might add.

head and shoulders above the competition

Was a leader for a very good team (24-4), featuring U of Illinois-bound Malcolm Hill...team won the Southwest Conference conference title.  Went off for 16 pts / 10 reb / 5 ast in 55-42 victory over Collinsville Feb 19...threw in 25 in 61-51 win over Althoff in the Belleville East Classic...team was upset 70-59 by (8-19!) O'Fallon  in the regional semifinals despite 18 points from Reddick...um, since when did I start writing like I do media guide schtick?...named second-team all-SWC by STLHighSchoolSports.com.   

Scouting
AAU Coach Dana Morgan:
Quote"I haven't coached a kid who attacks angles like he does, and he's so physical when he attacks the rim," Morgan says. "He initiates the contact and can finish around the basket, he's got a huge upside."
Penn State Rivals article

Scott Burgess (of ChicagoHoops) tweet:
QuoteBelleville East PG Darreon Reddick is most under appreciated guy in state in 2014. Strong. Gets in lane. Shoots it. Distributes.
https://twitter.com/scott_chihoops   3/30/13, 4:17 PM

Self-analysis:
Quote"I've been known to get to the hole, but I think I've been improving my jump shot a lot recently," said Reddick on Monday night. "All the coaches I've talked to have wanted to see a more consistent jump shot so that's been my main focus so far."
(Penn State 247 article)

Quote"I feel my best strength is getting to the hole like a slasher, and get to the free-throw line. Also I'm a good passer and get my teammates involved. I've been working on my jump shot a little bit. I've got to get a little more consistent right now, so I'm working on that a little bit."
April 2012 UMHoops

Working on:
Quote"My ball handling skills. If I'm going to be a point guard, I need to get my left hand and right hand stronger, then get my jump shot more consistent, and my pull-up game way better than what it is right now.
(ibid)

Later:
Quote"I feel my biggest improvement is my jump shot. I still have to get more consistent with my pull-up game, and from three-point range."
June 2012 UMHoops

Socrates would have been proud.  The takeaway from this is that he's clearly strong and can get to the hole; a theme we've seen from seemingly every backcourt recruit in this class and the next.  Probably not  a "natural" point guard, whatever that means, but can definitely play the position.  Has identified a weakness—jump-shooting and pull-up-type stuff, which is good, and even better that he has been working on it.  It's been about a year since the last three quotes.

Highlights—he's #14
My Son Darreon Reddick
Start it a minute in because the first minute is basically him checking into a game (father has put this video together; it's about a year old).  I would have posted a link to do so myself, except that such a link does not embed, which makes your life easier.  Starting there, however, let's please note that the "abusive" refers to the way he treats defenses.  So.  Nobody in need of fifty more viewings of The Chartreuse Dress here.

Anyway, starts off with him running the floor and looking solid in transition—then the next (1:13) features him backing down and scoring in the low post!  And 1!  Probably can't get away with that in college.

The next section features some slick ball-handling, culminating at 1:46 with a move to get to nearly the same low-post position he was in before, with the finish again.  On a second viewing, he basically takes the shot even though it's a 2-on-5, or a 1-on-4, depending on how you view it.  That...is impressive.  But hopefully he won't try to get away with that in college, right?  I mean, who does that...

Oh. Roight.

Anyway, after that the video is quotes from AAU recaps and scouting reports.  But you'll want to watch to the end to see Dad taking Junior to school. :)  These next two videos are useful as they were shot by a UMHoops reporter, and so the misses aren't edited out—it's a more realistic picture of the player.

AAU highlights from the Nike Spring Showdown in Merrillville in April 2012, plus an interview (still #14): April 2012 UMHoops
Has little-to-no problem getting where he wants down low, but problems finishing begin to appear.  3-pointer at :15ff shows impressive ease.  :33 the drive AND the easy finish.  :47 step-back 3 shows good awareness; I hate long twos with a VEHEMENT PASSION.  At 1:15, note the absolute ferocity in the attack—gives the impression that he will go THROUGH the kid if he doesn't step aside; he's not the one who ends up flinching either.

Interview below it is transcribed below that.  Possible problem quote:
QuoteIt was an easy game, so I didn't have to play that hard. But I put a little bit of effort.
Moving on...

AAU highlights from the Super 60 Classic in Merrillville in May 2012: June 2012 UMHoops
Shows good court awareness; however, at 0:47 misses 2 FTs with 28 seconds left and team either up or down one...

Offers
DePaul, Indiana State attested as the first two, in that order.  VerbalCommits further claims Missouri State, UDM, Toledo, and us.  Mentioned an IUPUI offer once (second UMHoops link).

Interest
Iowa, Michigan, Missouri, Saint Louis, Southern Illinois, Tennessee, Xavier, Butler, Penn State, Nebraska

Unofficially visited UDM in October; no record of further contact, nor interest (save verbalcommits).  Coaches visited him April 24, and the next activity on his 247 is the unofficial visit yesterday that culminated in his offer.

Rivals page

247 page

VerbalCommits page

Miscellany

Credits "Nebraska" with "best facilities I've seen", then admits "...but then you'd be playing for Nebraska", which, ok, he didn't actually admit.  The second part of that sentence, that is.  The first half is still true.  As Gandhi once said, "To put words in the mouth of another is one of the greatest pleasures afforded us by the Interweb."

Twitter: https://twitter.com/_14Reddick
Surprisingly inoffensive, which is sign enough that we should sign him.  Let's hear it for maturity!!!

classof2014

Jevon Carter, Keith Carter's younger brother, has received an offer from Valpo today.

According to verbal commits he is a 6'2 180 lbs G from Proviso East HS in Maywood IL.

Good probability he would come to Valpo because of his older brother is already here.

humbleopinion

Quote from: classof2014 on May 07, 2013, 12:45:42 PM
Jevon Carter, Keith Carter's younger brother, has received an offer from Valpo today.

Good probability he would come to Valpo because of his older brother is already here.

Are they brothers or cousins?
Beamin' Beacons

valpopal

According to verbal commits he is a 6'2 180 lbs G from Proviso East HS in Maywood IL.

My understanding is that Jevon is Keith's cousin. Jevon is a very good player, rated 3-star by ESPN with a score of 78.

valpotx

I just love the people we are recruiting, and hopefully getting in the next class!
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on May 07, 2013, 01:22:29 PM
I just love the people we are recruiting, and hopefully getting in the next class!

My guess is that the coaching staff recognized our overall lack of speed and that will hopefully be a part of all the new guys.  Guys like Will, Matt or Ben were very good players but not exactly lightning quick. Now, I'm not asking for Erik quick because I don't think there were very many players across the nation that were that quick but in general alittle more athletic to better defend the quicker guards we will face if we want to move to the next success level.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

I agree the kids we are recruiting seem to be great kids. 

But...who is going to rebound for us next year?  Please do not say Fernandez.

Paul

vufan75

Quote from: valpopal on May 07, 2013, 01:06:27 PM

My understanding is that Jevon is Keith's cousin. Jevon is a very good player, rated 3-star by ESPN with a score of 78.

Additional information from an article at Illinois Prep Bulls-eye from September 2012 that talks about Jevon Carter.

http://ilprepbullseye.com/Carter_Stock_Raiser.html

Class Of 2014 Stock Raiser: Jevon Carter

By Roy & Harv Schmidt
September 20, 2012
2:45 P.M. CST

Everyone who follows basketball at Proviso East is aware of the school's top two college prospects--6'5 2013 wing Sterling Brown and 5'11 2013 combo guard Paris Lee.  After all, both are D1 recruits, with Lee having committed to Illinois State University and Brown being strongly pursued by a number of high major programs.

However, a name that may not be as immediately recognizable is Jevon Carter, a 6'2 2014 wing.  And there is no question that Carter has earned recognition, as he has more than come into his own since the beginning of this past summer.  In doing so, Carter has proven to us that he just may be Proviso East's unsung hero and that he undoubtedly has D1 ability.

Carter was impressive throughout the summer while playing for the talented Team NLP 16-Under traveling team squad.  He was also outstanding when we watched him in June at the DePaul Team Camp.  But Carter was even better when we recently took in his play during an open gym at Proviso East and at the Mac Irvin Back To School Jam this past weekend.  In both instances, we thought that Carter was Proviso East's best player on the floor.

The greatest thing that Carter has going for him is is high motor and the fact that he plays extremely hard.  He does not take any plays off and has a warrior-like mentality that you always like to see amongst strongly built wings such as himself.  Carter attacks the basket with a vengeance and scores numerous points off of putbacks and hustle plays where he simply outworks his opponents.

In addition, Carter is also capable of scoring off the dribble, as he has a solid handle and outstanding speed.  Coming into the summer we thought that Carter fell on the "tweener" side but make no mistake about it--Carter can shoot the basketball.  He has range that extends beyond the 3-point arc and does not take bad shots.

Recruiting-wise it is still early in the game but Carter has shown that he is definitely a mid-major level D1 recruit.  He already holds scholarship offers from Kent State and Illinois State with Northern Illinois being another school that has shown heavy interest, including a stop at Proviso East a week ago to watch Carter in open gym.  With all of that having been said, we think that Jevon could sport even more up side than his cousin Keith, who is now at St. Louis.  He is a player that unquestionably bears close watching and figures to be on the radar of even more college programs in the near future.   

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on May 07, 2013, 02:18:05 PM

But...who is going to rebound for us next year?  Please do not say Fernandez.Paul

Well, you can start out with 6'10' 250# Bobby Capobianco.  Then add 6'9" David Chadwick and then 6'8" Alex Peters and 6'7" Adekoya (sp?), both are supposes to be very good rebounders.  Add good sized 3s in Rossi (6'5") or 6'4" Jordan Coleman or 6'5" Clay Yeo and I think you have a pretty good rebounding situation.  Granted we haven't seen the freshman play D1 ball yet but we do have some experience not even counting Vashil!

classof2014

Quote from: vu72 on May 07, 2013, 02:39:43 PM
Quote from: 78crusader on May 07, 2013, 02:18:05 PM

But...who is going to rebound for us next year?  Please do not say Fernandez.Paul

Well, you can start out with 6'10' 250# Bobby Capobianco.  Then add 6'9" David Chadwick and then 6'8" Alex Peters and 6'7" Adekoya (sp?), both are supposes to be very good rebounders.  Add good sized 3s in Rossi (6'5") or 6'4" Jordan Coleman or 6'5" Clay Yeo and I think you have a pretty good rebounding situation.  Granted we haven't seen the freshman play D1 ball yet but we do have some experience not even counting Vashil!

Agreed, we don't need size right for next season. I think Bobby will be a beast on the boards, not too mention he's good on the offensive glass as well which is huge. Some of the freshman coming in have some size. Yea, Peters, and Adekoya are all pretty big.

Back to the Jevon Carter stuff, from what I've read I really like him. I would imagine having his cousin Keith on the team is a huge plus in recruiting him. Based on that alone I think we would be able to land him. Not to mention espn ranks him as a 3 star recruit with a 78 grade. Wouldn't mind to see the Carter cousins have a chance to play together again! Probably have really good chemistry between the two already growing up together!

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: classof2014 on May 07, 2013, 12:45:42 PMJevon Carter, Keith Carter's younger brother, has received an offer from Valpo today.
oh geez...this is great, but i'm running, er, writing myself into the ground already :)