• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2014

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 09:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusadermoe

I'm dozens of posts behind now.    So I would guess many people are asking, "Why so many guards?"    Will we be putting 4 of them on the floor?

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on July 16, 2014, 03:31:04 PMThat too!  Yikes...well, you read up and see how many of us were confused by "Vanier College" :)

Here's a review, for those who missed the explanation, of what kind of school Vanier College is.

The two Canadian guards are students at Vanier College.

http://www.vaniercollege.qc.ca/about/

Vanier College is a publicly-funded English language CEGEP located in Montreal. Named in honour of General Georges P. Vanier, Canada's second native-born Governor General, Vanier College opened its doors on September 8, 1970, welcoming close to 1,400 students in its first cohort. The Vanier College Crest is an adaption of the Vanier family Coat of Arms.

As is typical in Canada Quebec runs their educational system differently than the other provinces in Canada. Vanier College is a CEGEP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEGEP

CEGEP (/sˈʒɛp/ say-zhep or /ˈsɛp/ see-jep; French: Cégep; also CÉGEP, Cegep or Cégep) is an acronym for Collège d'enseignement général et professionnel, known officially in English as a "General and Vocational College".[1] It refers to the public post-secondary education collegiate institutions exclusive to the education system in the province of Quebec in Canada. It is a loanword from French.
Although all colleges in Quebec are colloquially referred to as CEGEPs, only public colleges are officially referred to by that name. Both public (CEGEPs) and private colleges have the same function in Quebec.[2] Although they may occasionally be compared to junior colleges or community colleges, CEGEPs differ in that a Diploma of College Studies[1] (or Diplôme d'études collégiales, DEC) is required for university admission in Quebec unless a student enters as a mature student which typically means a minimum age of 21 with other requirements. Pre-university programs are typically two years in duration, which explains why secondary school and undergraduate degrees are both one year shorter in Quebec relative to elsewhere in Canada. A student in Quebec cannot enter university with a secondary diploma from Quebec alone.
The purpose of a separate collegiate education level is to make post-secondary education more accessible in Quebec, as well as to provide proper academic preparation for university.[3] There are both public subsidized and private colleges, with the public CEGEPs having little or no tuition fee. The CEGEP system was started in 1967 by the Quebec provincial government and originally consisted of 12 CEGEPs. Today, 48 CEGEPs exist in Quebec, of which 5 are English language-medium.

So if I have read this correctly the high schools are 3 years in Quebec and the undergraduate university programs are 3 years in Quebec. So the two Canadian guards are in a General and Vocational College (CEGEP)(2 years) which is a requirement in the Quebec system to go to university. So they are in a college prep school which was required of them if they had chosen to attend a Quebec university.

http://www.vaniercollege.qc.ca/about/cegep.php

In 1967, the Quebec government established a new level education which directly follows high school. The CEGEP system (collège d'enseignement general et professionnel) offers both two-year pre-university programs and three-year technical careeer programs. Vanier College is one of 48 public Cegeps in the province.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

The funniest part of this post is I sped-read the thread (now there's a rhyme) to get up to speed before posting the 2015 update and I saw this lengthy post (the first time) and stopped my speed reading to go back up and see who wrote it.

Of COURSE it was historyman...who else?  I laughed at myself for even needing to check, although I suppose there was like a 13% chance it could have been bbtds.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Hopefully this guy is another transfer that pays off for us!  Even though he played very minimally at LSU, he is playing with The Netherlands national team.  I believe that KVW was pre-selected for that national team as well.

http://valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2014-15/13796/crusaders-announce-addition-of-hammink/#.U9--uKMo7cs
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Here is some video on him.  He had offers from Florida and Iowa in addition to LSU.  He looks very long and athletic!

http://verbalcommits.com/players/shane-hammink

Presume he has to sit this  year.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

humbleopinion

I read in an article that his scholarship was not renewed, so he may fall under the "run-off" rule which would allow immediate eligibility.
Beamin' Beacons

historyman

Quote from: humbleopinion on August 04, 2014, 12:42:33 PMI read in an article that his scholarship was not renewed, so he may fall under the "run-off" rule which would allow immediate eligibility.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as the "run-off" rule. The Valpo women's team currently has a player who sat out last season, when they surely could have used her, who was run off by the coach at Utah State, I believe.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

There is a "run-off" rule that gives a player immediate eligibility if he has good academic standing and receives an official statement from his previous school that proves he was not invited to remain in the program. LSU's Anthony Hickey was let go along with Hammink, and he has just received permission to play at Oklahoma State. I would expect Hammink to receive the same treatment, though we all know the NCAA has been unpredictable in the past.

justducky

Last year played 21 games. Shot 9-16 for 56%. O-3 from 3. 2-7 from line. 21 rebounds, 4 assists,  10 turnovers, 2 steals for a total of 20 points.

Not much for the LSU highlight reel but he might be able to make significant contributions at Valpo. Interesting, very-interesting!

VULB#62

Can't see Bryce just throwing away a scholarship because he happened to have an extra one. 

Betcha he and the staff see beyond the BCS mentality about immediate talent production and see a fit here (like KVW perhaps?).   At 6'7'' isn't he a tweener and won't he be in the mix with a lot of the current team?  But would have been better if he was 6'11"    ;)

Also, isn't it valid that many US BB coaches don't always understand the European athlete? The skill demands over there are slightly different.  The game over there is slightly different, and despite the fact that European athletes want to win just as much as Americans, they have a more laid back outward demeanor (which is often mistaken for not caring ) than here in the US.

We have had a long history of successful foreign contributors.  So this could make for an interesting addition.

vufan75

wh

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/04/valparaiso-lands-a-transfer-from-lsu/

"Hammink has two years of eligibility remaining, and Valpo is currently seeking a waiver that may allow him to be eligible immediately."

LaPorteAveApostle

This is great news!  We've had luck with Low posters...he could be just the man to plug the leak, er, gap.

(Yikes...he's Geert Hammink's son?  I am...old.  Who was the last son-of-nba we had here?  All the way back to Kareem?

Going to optimistically update the scholarship chart as though he were eligible immediately, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he had to wait a year.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

While you're at it, just thought I'd mention that the background color for Max Joseph for '15-16 needs to be changed.

a3uge

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on August 04, 2014, 10:45:18 PM
This is great news!  We've had luck with Low posters...he could be just the man to plug the leak, er, gap.

(Yikes...he's Geert Hammink's son?  I am...old.  Who was the last son-of-nba we had here?  All the way back to Kareem?

Going to optimistically update the scholarship chart as though he were eligible immediately, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if he had to wait a year.

Not basketball, but Ben Boggs is the nephew of famous Red Sox Wade Boggs.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on August 04, 2014, 11:22:57 PMWhile you're at it, just thought I'd mention that the background color for Max Joseph for '15-16 needs to be changed.
Thanks for noticing!  Fixed.

Quote from: a3uge on August 04, 2014, 11:34:15 PMNot basketball, but Ben Boggs is the nephew of famous Red Sox Wade Boggs.
I asked for "son-of-nba" and you give me "nephew-of-mlb".  remind me never to ask you for a beer, lest I end up with Ripple.

To bring this back around, Homer, as we all know, was assistant to Dale Brown at LSU, for whom Geert Hammink played.  So that's...that's nice.

On a more meaningful note--I agree that Bryce isn't just giving out charity...however, we now have just two spots open for next year (2015 class).  Obviously, we could say "but probably three spots!" since it seems like every year one person leaves. (note:  that's not just us.  that's everyone.  everyone has 'transfer issues', especially the people going from cassette to mp3.)  And that isn't too small a class.  Two, however, would be a pretty small class. 

Basically:  I wonder if knowing there are just a couple spots open prompts anyone on the fence to jump off it.

a3uge

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on August 04, 2014, 11:51:48 PM
Quote from: wh on August 04, 2014, 11:22:57 PMWhile you're at it, just thought I'd mention that the background color for Max Joseph for '15-16 needs to be changed.
Thanks for noticing!  Fixed.

Quote from: a3uge on August 04, 2014, 11:34:15 PMNot basketball, but Ben Boggs is the nephew of famous Red Sox Wade Boggs.
I asked for "son-of-nba" and you give me "nephew-of-mlb".  remind me never to ask you for a beer, lest I end up with Ripple.

Whatever, I completely made it up anyways.

vufan75

Post-Tribune artlcle on Valpo adding Shane Hammink, and an update from Coach Bryce Drew.

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/29060521-556/mens-basketball-valparaiso-lands-lsu-transfer-shane-hammink.html

Men's Basketball: Valparaiso lands LSU transfer Shane Hammink

By Michael Osipoff 713-2485 or mosipoff@post-trib.com Twitter: @MichaelOsipoff August 4, 2014 11:20PM

Barring any dramatic turns, Valparaiso has completed its roster for the 2014-15 season.

The Crusaders on Monday announced the signing of LSU transfer Shane Hammink, their 13th scholarship player. The 6-foot-7, 215-pound forward recently made his senior national team debut for the Netherlands.

Hammink spent two seasons at LSU, appearing in 47 games, including two starts, both as a freshman. The left-hander averaged 1.6 points and 1.4 rebounds in 8.6 minutes during his Tigers career.

"He's a very skilled player for his size," Valparaiso coach Bryce Drew said. "He's a perimeter player that can do a variety of things well — shoot, pass, rebound, defend."

Hammink is with the Dutch national team — the 14th player in Valparaiso history to reach that level for his respective country — and was expected to arrive on campus later this month when fall semester classes begin.

It was unclear if he would be eligible to play immediately for the Crusaders, or if he would have to sit out this season per typical NCAA transfer rules. LSU announced in May that Hammink was one of three players leaving the program.

"We're going to see what happens this fall with the whole process," Drew said. "We don't know how everything stands. We'll find out over the next couple months."

Last month, Hammink averaged 10.9 points and a team-high 6.0 rebounds for the Netherlands at the U20 Division B European Championship. Last week, he received a call-up to the senior squad for an international friendly against the Czech Republic, posting six points and six rebounds, as the Dutch prepare for European Championship qualifiers. Hammink has also represented the Netherlands at the U16 and U18 levels.

"Growing up playing international tournaments, he has a lot of experience, and that will help him and our team," Drew said.

Hammink, who reportedly also had offers from Florida and Iowa before signing with LSU, played at the Canarias Basketball Academy, the organization in Spain that also produced former standout Crusaders center Kevin Van Wijk.

"We had seen him in high school (on film), so we've been aware of him for a while," Drew said. "With my dad having coached at LSU, we still have some connections to people down there. And then speaking with him and his family, everyone thought he would be a good fit for Valpo."

Hammink's father, Geert, played eight games in three NBA seasons with Orlando and Golden State, after the Magic selected him out of LSU with the No. 26 overall pick in the 1993 draft. The 7-foot center's 11-year pro career included stops in Italy, Greece and Germany.

The Crusaders didn't land the post player they had hoped in this recruiting class, but Drew believes Shane Hammink will mesh well with the rest of their team.

"He's similar to some of the other guys we have, with his versatility and being able to play multiple positions, defend multiple positions, and his high IQ and feel for the game," said Drew, adding it is a "priority" to sign a center with the two current scholarships available for the Class of 2015.

"After having the guys here for the summer and working out, we feel good about the makeup of our roster and how they fit together. With (6-9 forward) David Chadwick, we didn't know how his knee was going to respond, but he's been able to practice and his knee has held up really, really good. That will give us another player on the front line that we didn't have at the beginning of the summer. Some of the other players have gotten bigger and stronger. So we feel good about things."
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So back to the drawing board looking for that "big" that can play and contribute pretty much immediately next season. Vashil will be gone and we will need size at center, or have to play with 6-8 guys in the post, or with a other creative "smaller" lineups. In a perfect scenario we would find a contributor who is a juco or transfer, and then recruit a freshman to learn and be a backup initially. Too bad we recently missed out on the recruit who opted for Belmont, center Seth Adelsperger, a 2015 recruit from Peru, IN with size, being reported as 6-11 and 230lbs per Verbal Commits.

historyman

Quote from: vufan75 on August 05, 2014, 09:21:03 AMToo bad we recently missed out on the recruit who opted for Belmont, center Seth Adelsperger, a 2015 recruit from Peru, IN with size, being reported as 6-11 and 230lbs per Verbal Commits.

You never know. Maybe like Moussa Gueye, Clay Yeo and many others, Adelsperger will decide that his original choice was not right for him and he will see the playing time he can get and that coming home to Indiana is a good move and decide on Valpo later. Since there is an epidemic of transferring maybe a couple more will decide Valpo was the right place after all.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on August 04, 2014, 11:51:48 PMBasically:  I wonder if knowing there are just a couple spots open prompts anyone on the fence to jump off it.
I hate quoting myself, but if Bryce is in print as saying that one of the two spots will pretty much have to go to a big, that leaves ONE spot for all the guards who have scholarships out there...

bbtds

I'm throwing a flag on this play. If this is true how come we hadn't heard this before when Ben joined the team.

I did some research and found that John C. Boggs of Roanoke, VA, Ben's father, did not have a brother named Wade. Ben's grandparents, John's parents, were J C Boggs and Tammy Scowden Boggs of Portsmouth, OH. Wade Boggs' mother was Sue C. Boggs of Tampa, FL, who died in an automobile accident in 1986 in Tampa. Wade was born in Nebraska and grew up in Tampa. He never lived in Portsmouth, OH.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: a3uge on August 05, 2014, 06:58:48 AMWhatever, I completely made it up anyways.

Quote from: bbtds on August 06, 2014, 04:29:01 AMI'm throwing a flag on this play. If this is true how come we hadn't heard this before when Ben joined the team.
I think he threw the flag on himself.  But you probably got bogged down in all that flow.  Next time, row (versus Wade).

Pgmado

Communicated with Ben yesterday and he is not related to Wade.

All of the points however go to LaPorteAveApostle for his Row v. Wade joke. Outstanding.

wh

Quote from: Pgmado on August 06, 2014, 10:27:42 AM
Communicated with Ben yesterday and he is not related to Wade.

All of the points however go to LaPorteAveApostle for his Row v. Wade joke. Outstanding.

Paul - Are you going to try and to (for zville's benefit ;)) contact Hammink directly?  Things I would be interested in knowing - how did he learn about Valpo opportunity, did he accept sight unseen, does he know KVW personally and did he have any influence, what does he know about VU basketball, what position does he hope to play, etc.

Pgmado

Tracking him down hasn't been easy with him traveling at the moment. I can't even get a date when he is going to be in Valpo let alone contact info for him. All of those questions will be asked once I get him. I still have international minutes from when I called Broekhoff five years ago...somewhere.