• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2014

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, April 17, 2013, 09:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

OK, so I've been going back over each of my recruiting profiles on those currently holding VU offers, and updating them for inclusion on the blog, since that's what they really are, not forum posts.  I've started where I began, with Erick Locke, and expanded it a great deal, since they are getting progressively longer.

Oh, and the series title is of course "Offer: ON", me being me.

You can check it out here: http://www.valpofanzone.com/2013/05/07/offer-on-erick-locke-2014/

And a hearty thanks to 04 for his great help in this, as in everything.

The more I examine other message boards for data, the more I treasure this one.  The others have apparently been formatted by vandals.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 07, 2013, 09:00:16 PM
The more I examine other message boards for data, the more I treasure this one.

:thumbsup:

classof2014

Another offer on the board. Tai Odiase of Flossmoor Illinois, Homewood-Flossmoor HS. 6' 8" 180 lbs (6' 9" 195 espn) powerforward.

There was some mention earlier that he expressed interest in Valpo, now he has an offer!

valpotx

If we get any of these guys, it sounds like a coup for us versus prior years!
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: classof2014 on May 07, 2013, 10:57:34 PM
Another offer on the board. Tai Odiase of Flossmoor Illinois, Homewood-Flossmoor HS. 6' 8" 180 lbs (6' 9" 195 espn) powerforward.

There was some mention earlier that he expressed interest in Valpo, now he has an offer!

Odiase received an offer from Valpo a couple of weeks ago, but he added one from Ball State today. He is rated as a 3-star recruit, and I believe Valpo would be more appealing than Ball State. It will be interesting to see what commitments, if any, are made in the next week, since I believe this signing period ends on May 15.

classof2014

Right now... I'd think we are the head of the pack for Jevon Carter and Tai Odiase and Erick Locke.

I think having Jevon's cousin already on the team gives us a huge advantage in recruiting him. I'd be surprised to see him choose otherwise. Not shocked but surprised.

For both Tai and Erick, Tai's other offer is from Toledo and Erick has no other offers. So I would imagine Valpo is their top choice right now.

I would imagine we're on the top of the list for both CJ Rivers and Darreon Reddick but both have had plenty of other offers.

Guess we'll see where the dominoes fall for the early signing period by May 15th. Then, back to the waiting game.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: classof2014 on May 07, 2013, 10:57:34 PMAnother offer on the board. Tai Odiase of Flossmoor Illinois, Homewood-Flossmoor HS. 6' 8" 180 lbs (6' 9" 195 espn) powerforward.

really, dude?  try to keep up:
http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1421.msg32476#msg32476

in fact, you commented right AFTER that post.
http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1421.msg32477#msg32477

Quote from: classof2014 on May 07, 2013, 11:54:51 PMErick has no other offers
inaccurate
http://www.valpofanzone.com/2013/05/07/offer-on-erick-locke-2014/
sigh...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vufan75

Quote from: zvillehaze on April 25, 2013, 04:16:21 PM
Mack Mercer mention in Indy Star article.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130425/SPORTS02/304250071/Recruiting-notes-Most-IndyStar-Junior-All-Stars-haven-t-chosen-colleges?nclick_check=1

Mack Mercer would be a great pickup if he would select Valpo. And he really would fill a need as a "big". Now we shall see how joining the MVC helps Loyola with recruiting, at least in this situation. Per Mack Mercer's Twitter and Facebook posts yesterday, on a visit to Loyola yesterday they offered him a scholarship. He has a growing list of offers and interest. I hope Valpo is still in the mix for him, and that he decides to attend Valpo and play his college ball here.

@MackMercer....."Received an offer from Loyola on my visit".

Trevor Andershock @INBBallSource tweeted yesterday that "Other schools in the picture for Mack Mercer are Belmont, Indiana State and Boston College. Those were his top 3 a few weeks ago."

classof2014

I wouldn't mind Tai Odiase of Flossmoor IL either, 3 star recruit and has shown interest in Valpo and has an offer to boot. If Vashil can show some improvements and Adekoya turns out to be pretty decent, then if we could either get Odiase or Mercer, I think we'd be set in the PF position for a few years.

vufan75

Quote from: classof2014 on May 09, 2013, 09:41:44 AM
I wouldn't mind Tai Odiase of Flossmoor IL either, 3 star recruit and has shown interest in Valpo and has an offer to boot. If Vashil can show some improvements and Adekoya turns out to be pretty decent, then if we could either get Odiase or Mercer, I think we'd be set in the PF position for a few years.

Agreed, though Mercer seems to have more schools jumping on his bandwagon at this point, it seems. Or maybe Odiase has been more of a late bloomer and is flying more under the radar than Mercer? IMO Adekoya is going to be a beast down low before his Valpo career is over, but it never hurts to have too many bigs. I know the HL is a guard oriented league, but when we play OOC games or in the tourney we need more quality size and bulk to compete better. Who knows, maybe we can find a way to get both guys. Wouldn't that be sweet!  ;)   

LaPorteAveApostle

agibson

Quote from: classof2014 on May 07, 2013, 11:54:51 PMGuess we'll see where the dominoes fall for the early signing period by May 15th. Then, back to the waiting game.

Now I'm confused. 

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/nli/nli

Helps a little, maybe.

Am I interpreting it correctly?  May 15 ends the _regular_ signing period for athletes who will enroll next fall, Fall 2013.  Are these 2014 guys even allowed to sign then?

Their early signing period will start November 13, 2013 - and last a week.

(Admittedly April 15-May 15 seems rather late for a "regular" signing period... Am I missing something?)

LaPorteAveApostle

Yeah, gibs, I think you're right.  People can verbal any time they want, though.

Then again, a verbal commitment isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

vufan75

Quote from: valpopal on April 23, 2013, 10:37:29 AM
Quote from: classof2014 on April 23, 2013, 09:31:59 AM
If we can sign him, we will have a really good one, two punch with Adekoya and now Odiase who is already 6' 8" 190 lbs, who probably has some growing left in him.

Adekoya seems to agree:

Homewood Flossmoor 2014 PF Tai Odiase informs me he picked up offer from #Valpo today
Retweeted by Jubril Adekoya

I ran across this short article and video clip on chicagohoops.com today. In the video Tai Odiase is being interviewed and talks about multiple topics, including who is recruiting him and what schools he will be visiting. Tai says nice things about Valpo, and how he likes the campus and family oriented coaches. Sounds like quite a few other schools are also recruiting him, he mentions Ball State and SLU that I can recall, and he will take visits to several other schools recruiting him either later this summer or early this fall.     

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php/2011-08-04-18-06-26/1461-video-tai-odiase-talks-recruiting

LaPorteAveApostle

Thanks for posting this!  I only wish they hadn't interviewed him in Central Station at 5:15 pm ;)

On Valpo:  "I love that campus.  The people there are very friendly.  ...They don't just recruit me, they recruit my family.  ...an especially friendly atmosphere." 

I could be wrong because, again, Union Station at 4:59 pm.  But that's what it sounded like.

ARCInsider

Yep, step out of the gym to do the interview guys...iPhone recording I believe, not good with background noise in my opinion.

That said, glad to hear he is high on Valpo...he would be a good get.

Crudawg

Heard this kid visited recently.  Kyle Haber
His parents are originally from Crown Point.
iaelites.com/videos/kyle-haber-14-dubuque-senior-mix/
6'6 guard.  Nice skills both inside and out. 

wh

Kyle Haber '14 (Dubuque Senior HS)

Has a higher ESPN/Scout grade than 4 of our 5 2013 recruits.
Has NWI roots. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lWm4xHBQQG8#at=25

vu72

Although many good quality players have come from Iowa, based on the video alone, I wonder about the competition.  Remember, Brennan Cougill was a Mr. Basketball in Iowa.  Nice player but no Rowdy  ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Crudawg

I have followed his AAU team since they went nose to nose with Spiece Indy Heat in Ft. Wayne in May - I thought I recognized his dad from CP in the stands and it was him.  Not to date myself, but I played against his dad in 1988.  ouch!
Spiece beat the Iowa Barnstormers 80-78 in a great game.  Kyle had 22 in the game being guarded by Blackman and Lyle. 
His Iowa Barnstormers team also beat Eric Gordon 17's in Milwaukee by 15.  His team is for real - they already have 1 kid committed to UNI and another to Drake. 
In May, his dad said he held offers from Albany and Northern Colorado. 

Don't forget Iowa has produced McDermott, Barnes and Paige the last few years. 

LaPorteAveApostle

valpo64

As of now, do we have any verbal commitments for 2014?   (even if they are worthless to a degree)

valpopal

Quote from: valpo64 on August 01, 2013, 06:43:32 PM
As of now, do we have any verbal commitments for 2014?   (even if they are worthless to a degree)

Max Joseph: see this thread:

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1507.0

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpopal on August 01, 2013, 06:46:48 PMMax Joseph: see this thread
yeah...thanks for that.  should be a cross-reference for important things like that if it's going to be in its own thread.

valpopal

Mack Mercer, who had a Valpo offer, committed to Belmont today. D.J. McCall, who wanted to come to Valpo but did not receive an offer, committed to IUPUI today as well.