• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

What to do on your summer vacation...

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, June 04, 2013, 08:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

justducky

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on July 28, 2013, 01:32:58 PM
Gotta be honest, didn't see any of them doing THIS with their summer vacation...

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/21574072-556/valparaiso-hoops-duo-bows-out-at-p-t-tennis-classic.html
Nice picture of Bobby sporting maybe a 6 or 8 week beard growth. I think maybe the whole team should grow one, Bryce in particular would look great with a grandpa Phil length Duck Dynasty model.

I've always felt that some off season cross training is usually great for both the mind and the body. So tennis, swimming, biking, running are all good; with softball, volleyball, and bowling at least being fun. I do draw the line at golf however, because I personally found it to be more addictive than heroin and if you use a golf cart, equally bad for your health.  ;)

talksalot

A bunch of the first year players helped out with the basketball camp this past week.  Who were some of the kids (ages 8-13)?   Sons of:  Cavanaugh, Schmidt, Ensminger!   Proud parents and grandparents in the audience as their kids were announced under the spotlight and music.   Great to see Chris Ensminger...looking great.  He's heading back to Germany to coach on Wednesday.  I asked him if he remembered his school record rebound game... he says "What, the 24?"... yeh, he remembered it... but he didn't remember that the last two were put-back attempts of his own missed bunny-shots! :lol:

vu84v2

"We are really excited about our players being able to go on AIA trips," said Crusader head coach Bryce Drew. "It is a great blessing for them to learn about God, preach the Gospel, and play basketball all while experiencing a different culture."

-Playing basketball - great
-Experiencing a different culture - great
-Learning about God - great, as long as that is what you choose to do (which obviously the three players did)
-Preaching the gospel (presumably with the intent of changing peoples' beliefs) in a different culture - not something that the university should so easily endorse.  The university is rightly marketing itself as a university accepting different religions, perspectives, cultures ,etc.  When representatives go out into other cultures and preach a specific religion and a university leader endorses it, that seems to be in conflict with how the university wants to and should project itself.

valpo64

AIA is a Christian organization, not a Lutheran organization

vu84v2

Yes I know that AIA is a Christian organization.  When I said that a university leader should not endorse representatives preaching a specific religion because it is in conflict with how the university wants to project itself, I meant any religion including denominations and entire faiths.  If a player was Jewish and was part of a Jewish religious team, would a university leader publicly say that it is a great opportunity for that player to preach the Torah?  I have no problem with anybody's religious beliefs, but an organization should not publicly endorse preaching them to other people when, at the same time, you are trying to welcome people of all faiths and backgrounds.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu84v2 on August 06, 2013, 02:24:27 PMI have no problem with anybody's religious beliefs, but an organization should not publicly endorse preaching them to other people when, at the same time, you are trying to welcome people of all faiths and backgrounds.

Wow.  You're part of the reason for the Naked Public Square.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valpofan00

I saw Kevin Van Wijk at the Valparaiso YMCA yesterday...He was shooting the 3 ball very good ;)

valpotx

He isn't in Europe trying to find a team?  I thought that someone mentioned he would not be graduating, so what was the point of sticking around?
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: Valpofan00 on August 09, 2013, 12:26:01 PM
He was shooting the 3 ball very good ;)

well.....well.......well...............................
that's the word.

LaPorteAveApostle

E) me & bbtds
F) bbtds & I
G) both D and F

wh

Some food for thought for the pedants among us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY

valpopal

Vashil Fernandez has extended his summer vacation and is playing for Jamaica in the FIBA Americas Championship Tournament. Tomorrow (Friday) morning his team plays against Canada on ESPN 3 at 10:20 Central Time.

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, the roster is now complete!  Now it's time for "what should Player X do to work on his game this summer?"

First, a look back at some of the more prescient thoughts from last summer:

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 04, 2013, 08:47:53 AMI'll start and say that if we're really going to "go large" then Capo will need to improve his jump shooting, especially 3s, because I have a feeling there will be more attempts than 17 this year.
I'm putting myself first only because this was the first comment (one of the benefits of starting threads).  Surprised upon rereading this thread that this was a controversial statement.  Capo, previously a career 30.6% 3FG shooter, shot an even 40% on 55 attempts.  (Statsheet says he made the 33rd most in our conference?  Can that be true?)  A surprisingly good offensive player, Capo's ORtg was 21st in the conference.

Quote from: HC on June 05, 2013, 10:11:54 AMColeman: jump shots
Dority: going left
Capo: conditioning
Vashil: catching the ball and free throws
This was both prescient and hilarious.  Note:  Coleman declined in 2FG and 3 FG (but shot up in FTs, no pun intended).

Vashil went from 28.6 FT% to 47.7%.  That's kind of stunning in context.  The same percentage improvement (impossible, but let's see) this year would lead to him shooting 79.6%, or Gueye territory.

Quote from: vu72 on June 11, 2013, 03:43:53 PMThis Chadwick discussion is interesting. My recollection is that chef seemed to think he won't be part of the regular rotation, deferring to Adekoya in the front court.
*heads nodding

Quote from: classof2014 on June 16, 2013, 01:46:05 PMI believe that both LVD and Capo will emerge as our leaders.
Seems obvious in retrospect, but wasn't at the time.  LVD, I mean.

wh

OSIPOFF: With full basketball roster on campus, Valpo's preparations for upcoming season intensify

VALPARAISO — The second session of summer school at Valparaiso began on Monday. The calendar has turned to July.

As workouts continued on Wednesday, all 12 players on the Crusaders' roster were on campus.

The 2014-15 season isn't quite here, but it's getting closer.

Count sophomore forward Alec Peters among those eagerly anticipating it.

"The biggest thing is that we're competing, along with getting better," he said. "When we do drills, we're at each other, whether we're doing one-on-one or two-on-two. We want to stay competitive throughout the whole summer and not lose that going into the season. We're getting better, and everyone is really fighting for spots."

Especially in a deep backcourt. Again, there's still meaningful months between now and the start of the season. But figure to pencil in Peters and senior Vashil Fernandez, the team's only true center, as starters. After that? Could be up for grabs.

Valparaiso could employ three- and four-guard lineups, something with which it isn't unfamiliar. The Crusaders seem to have quickness and athleticism, with the personnel to potentially play at a fast pace.

With their one remaining scholarship, they still could add a big man, even if it's for the fall. And they're somewhat more optimistic about the availability of David Chadwick (knee), a senior forward who isn't necessarily a traditional post player but is 6-foot-9.

But they still have limited size.

"We're going to have to rebound," Peters said. "We're going to have to put an emphasis on attacking the glass both offensively and defensively, especially when we go small."

David Skara, a 6-8 forward from Croatia who played last season at Midwest Elite Prep Academy in Merrillville, was Valparaiso's final player to arrive, late Tuesday night. He was at the Athletics-Recreation Center on Wednesday, in the process of getting situated.

Tevonn Walker was the Crusaders' first newcomer to get into town, on May 19, a day ahead of the beginning of the first summer session. The freshman guard from Montreal was attempting to assist classmate Skara.

And any on-court advice?

"Just work hard, and do what the coaches say," Walker said. "Usually what they say is to help you get better. If you do it, then the chances of you improving are high.

"It's been an adjustment for me, not only with the lifestyle, the environment, the culture, but also the intensity of the basketball. At the beginning, I wasn't used to the workouts, it was something new, I haven't really been training like this before. But I'm getting the hang of it, getting used to it, and I like it a lot, and I feel like I'm getting better."

Sophomore guard Lexus Williams isn't far removed from enduring similar growing pains (if not as severe, hailing from Chicago). He said the four returnees who were freshmen last season have been playing with more ease and comfort, not as consumed with simply "trying to learn everything."

So any final takeaway from the 2013-14 season?

"Experience matters," Peters said. "Last year we couldn't finish out some close games, and we made a lot of mistakes that freshmen make. You hate to say that, because we played a lot of games, but experience is definitely going to help us this year."

valpo64

That is a great example of how great a young man Alec is...he comes from "good stock" and his parents and family should be very proud of him.  Valpo should be very proud!!

historyman

Quote from: valpo64 on July 22, 2014, 03:54:13 PM
That is a great example of how great a young man Alec is...he comes from "good stock" and his parents and family should be very proud of him.  Valpo should be very proud!!

(Strange you would use that phrase after I just read this sermonette)

Do You Come From Good Stock?

Doug Brendel

"You come from good stock."
That's what a girl told me in my first week at college.
She was an upperclassman, so I assumed she knew what she was talking about. No,
I'm kidding; actually I had never heard such an outrageous statement.
I come from good stock? This sounds like animal husbandry or something.
It turns out she knew my family. We were actually on the same family tree.
Before World War II, three guys had immigrated to America from Europe.
One of the guys had two daughters.
The other two guys had sons.
Each daughter married one of those sons.
One of those sons was her uncle.
The other son — was my uncle.
We were in identical positions on opposite branches of the same family tree.
Apparently this, in her opinion, meant I came from good stock.
And it would be OK for her to date me.
At first it was offensive to me to think that someone would judge me on the basis of my
family history.
Of course I dated her anyway; you don't turn down an upperclassman.
But "coming from good stock," quote-unquote, is a troubling concept.
Is this a legitimate idea?
How are you going to turn out? Can I look at your mother or your father and predict your
future?
Maybe in order to get a handle on you, I should look up your family tree, even beyond
your mom and dad — to your grandparents, and beyond.
How much of a product are you of your bloodline?
And how much of the stuff your forebears did will show up in your own behavior?
How responsible is "nature," vs. "nurture"?
Sometimes I say or do something and I just go, "Wow! That was my dad! I'm becoming
my father!"
Sometimes I'll hang up the phone and realize, I just sounded like my mom.
How much of this is the work of the chromosomes I inherited from my parents, and how
much of it the result of growing up in their house, under their instruction, subject
to their example?
Sometimes I'll be looking in the mirror, getting ready for the day, and suddenly realize,
as I'm getting older, my face is gradually morphing into my grandmother's face!
This is DNA! Make it stop!

In spite of being offended by the idea that that upperclassman assumed I was from
"good stock," I have to confess that if I'm going to hire somebody to, say, take
care of my two teenagers for a couple of weeks while my wife and I are out of
town, if you apply for the job and somehow I learn that your parents were drug
addicts, and your grandparents were drug addicts — I am going to think twice
before hiring you.
I am way likelier to feel comfortable hiring someone whose parents were in law
enforcement. The financial industry. The lumber industry! The cattle industry!
Anything!
This may not be fair, but it's the truth.
History matters to us.
Now most of us didn't get to choose our family history. We just got dropped into this
particular stream of people and events, and we've been swimming along as best
we can ever since.
The only one who ever got to choose his family history was Jesus.
Now honestly, if I had had the freedom to map out my own family history, there are a
few people who made it onto my family tree who wouldn't have made it.
(I had an uncle in New Orleans who— oh, never mind.)
In fact, Jesus had an almost unimaginable advantage in this: he had the power not only
to shape the events in his family's past, he could go right into the DNA,
generation after generation, and organize the genetics of his bloodline.
He could make sure that every ancestor had every possible chromosomal advantage,
and every possible social advantage, every possible educational advantage,
every possible vocational advantage.
But instead of taking my approach, Jesus appears to have just missed it.
You look at his family tree, and it looks like he wasn't tuned in to the importance of
family history at all — like he wasn't paying attention or something.
His family tree has more misfits than mine does!
Actually, when God set out to publish the story of Jesus' life, the first book of the New
Testament — the very first of the four gospels — the very first chapter, the very
first sentence — is a detailed rendering of Christ's family tree.
This is like some enormous strategic error, if you're trying to impress people with your
family background — because this is not an impressive list.
In fact, God inspires Matthew, the writer of this first Gospel, to SKIP some of the
standouts — he doesn't mention Abraham's wife Sarah, the mother of the Jewish
nation; doesn't mention Rebekah, Isaac's wife; doesn't mention Rachel, Jacob's
wife.
The Scriptures use the phrase "the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob" about 35 times
— but all three of their wives, who were overwhelmingly regarded as holy
women, get left out of Christ's first official genealogy.
On the other hand, he includes Bathsheba.

This is the married woman who slept with King David.
It would be hard to character Bathsheba as honorable, let alone a "holy woman"!
I would have left her off my family tree. But Jesus chose her to be included.
Matthew also mentions Rahab.
She is maybe the most famous prostitute in the entire Bible.
Not exactly a "holy woman"!
But she helped God's people. Later she had a baby, and the baby was Boaz, and he
grew up to be King David's great-grandfather.
I would have left Rahab off my family tree. But Jesus chose her to be included.
Maybe the strangest choice of all was Tamar.
Let me tell you about Tamar.
You've heard the phrase "the 12 tribes of Israel," right?
This is not just a reference to the nation of Israel.
Israel was a person. This is the name that God gave to Jacob.
And the 12 tribes of Israel are his 12 sons — technically, 10 sons and 2 grandsons.
One of the sons was named Judah. Genesis 38 tells us that he married a foreign
woman, a Canaanite, and over the next few years she gave birth to three boys.
The boys grew up.
When the first boy came of age, his father Judah found him a wife. Her name was
Tamar.
But this young man was so wicked — we don't even know from the historical record
what it was that he did, but he was so evil — that God just let him die.
So — according to the custom of the day — Judah turned the young widow over to his
second son.
But this guy, by now, already had a wife and children; he didn't want to be saddled with
the complication of other children, didn't want his estate divided between the
children he considered his own, and these other children that he was just
obligated to.
And he was sneaky about it.
He didn't say, OK, look, I don't want to do this.
Instead, he pretended — actually, he employed an ancient form of birth control; I'm
embarrassed to talk about it in mixed company — you will have to read the
details for yourself in Genesis 38 if you want.
But anyway, he was evil, and eventually he died too.
So now Judah is grief-stricken. He has buried two sons, he only has one son left. His
baby.
This one is still too young to get married.
And honestly, Judah's afraid that even if the boy grows up and he hooks him up with
Tamar, this son will die too.
As far as Judah is concerned, this Canaanite woman is cursed!
So Judah engages in a deception too (his son must have come by it honest).
He assures Tamar — and look, she must have been grief-stricken too; she's lost one
husband and been betrayed by a second — but Judah assures Tamar that he
will fulfill the customary obligations.
She should go live in her father's house, live like a widow — wear the widow's
traditional clothing, stick with the traditional widow's routine — and when the boy
grows up, they can get married.
Tamar goes for it.
But the boy grows up, he becomes a man, and nothing happens.
No engagement, no wedding.
Years go by. Tamar is stuck in her father's house, wearing widow's garb.
So many years go by that now, old man Judah's wife dies.
There's another funeral, another burial, and Judah goes through the grieving process all
over again.
But eventually he recovers, life gets somewhat back to normal, and Judah decides to
make a road trip, with his friend Hirah. He's gonna go up to a place called
Timnah.
Well, word reaches Tamar that her father-in-law is heading up to Timnah — and she
decides to organize a little deception of her own.
Because it just so happens — I hope you won't feel I'm being too indelicate here —
Tamar is ovulating.
So she takes off her widow's clothing and puts on a somewhat different outfit: she
dresses like a prostitute. This outfit includes a veil — so when you look at her,
you can't tell that it's Tamar.
She goes to a certain way station on the road to Timnah, and she waits.
Judah swings by, he sees her, and he decides to negotiate for the prostitute's services.
What will you pay? she asks him.
Well, he wants to conserve his cash, so he offers something of pretty high value in that
culture: a goat from his flock.
That's pretty good, she says. But you don't have the goat with you. This is like buying
on credit. How do I know you'll actually deliver the goat?
Well, what do you suggest as security? he asks her.
Hey, how about you give me your seal, your cord, and your staff? she says.
See, a prominent man in that culture would carry a seal for signing contracts.
The seal was a cylinder engraved with unique markings; instead of signing a piece of
paper the way we do today, you would roll this cylinder over a soft clay document
as a way of certifying your identity.
You carried the seal on a cord which you would wear around your neck.
And your staff had unique markings carved on it too; this was another way you would
guarantee that you were the person you said you were, and you would make
good on whatever promise you were making.
The combination of the seal and the staff might have been the equivalent of showing
two photo ID's.
So Tamar says, leave me your seal and cord, and your staff, until you deliver the goat.

(if you are still reading this you can finish it here)
http://www.dougbrendel.com/sermons/Desperate5-Stock.pdf
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

I not only read the entire thing, I past it on!  Thank you for your post.  It says much about the difference between Valpo grads/supporters, and the typical sports fan. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on August 09, 2013, 10:17:19 PM
E) me & bbtds
F) bbtds & I
G) both D and F

Your answer and grade were both "F."   ;)

August 9th? Are you in the future?

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on July 25, 2014, 01:49:13 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on August 09, 2013, 10:17:19 PM
E) me & bbtds
F) bbtds & I
G) both D and F

Your answer and grade were both "F."   ;)

August 9th? Are you in the future?

August 9th, 2013 is hardly in the future.

wh

My 11-year-old grandson is participating in Bryce's week-long bb camp, which began this morning.  All of the assistants and most of the players were on-hand to work with the kids.  I could tell our little guy was pretty star-struck.  :)

Interestingly, Moussa was there, as well.