• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Over-Under, 2014

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, November 04, 2013, 03:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

At the halfway point of the season, and one category has changed--Moussa needing 1 block (31 in 16 games) flips his category, which was evenly split.  We have a new leader!

Your new standings ('grats, historyman!)
1   valpofan11   10
2   valpotx   10
3   swiftmutiny   9
4   covufan   8
5   a3uge   8
6   pgmado   8
7   wh   7
8   valpo84   7
9   talksalot   7
10   classof2014   6
11   vu72   6
12   historyman   5
13   Dave_2010   4
14   bbtds   4
15   Kyle321n   4
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Tied for 10th!! Impressive!!   :(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 03, 2014, 08:24:15 PMYour new standings ('grats, historyman!)

12   historyman   5
I'd rather be 13th.   ;)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on January 03, 2014, 09:30:25 PMTied for 10th!! Impressive!
welllllllllll....not really because I use the tiebreaker (team ppg) to break all ties.  so, 11th :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Kyle321n

Maybe I was way too optimistic on this season...
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

LaPorteAveApostle

you and 78.6% of the rest of the group

LaPorteAveApostle

At the 3/4 mark (boring superb owl leads to such things):

Some change in the mix, as Peters' slump finally drops him below 45% and Coleman drops below 9.5 ppg.

As a group, we're batting .528...

1   a3uge   10
2   pgmado   10
3   covufan   8
4   valpofan11   8
5   swiftmutiny   8
6   wh   7
7   valpo84   7
8   valpotx   7
9   historyman   7
10   classof2014   6
11   Dave_2010   6
12   vu72   6
13   talksalot   5
14   bbtds   4
15   Kyle321n   4

LaPorteAveApostle

Change at the top!  (Peters back over 45% and Gueye over 2.0 bpg).

And talksalot...Matthew 19:30 ;)

1   covufan   9
2   a3uge   9
3   pgmado   9
4   swiftmutiny   9
5   wh   8
6   valpo84   8
7   valpofan11   7
8   classof2014   7
9   Dave_2010   7
10   vu72   7
11   valpotx   6
12   historyman   6
13   bbtds   5
14   Kyle321n   5
15   talksalot   4

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

talksalot

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 22, 2014, 09:32:14 PMAnd talksalot...Matthew 19:30 ;)

Those who can:   DO
Those who can't do:  COACH
Those who can't coach:   OFFICIATE
Those who can't officiate:   ANNOUNCE
Those who can't announce:   POST TO CHAT BOARDS AND MAKE WEIRD GUESSES ON WHAT THE OVER-UNDER WILL BE.

Galatians 5:7 You did run well; who did hinder you ...

talksalot

Speaking of Announcing...

WVUR is looking for baseball announcers... and at the YSU game and next Saturday... anyone (not just students) is invited to sit in a Mock Game broadcast (on the track behind section G), and announce part of the men's basketball game... if they like your presentation, you might get the chance to announce a baseball game on 'VUR this spring.

PGMADO helped set that up.  Too bad I'm a little busy at the game or I'd try out!  If nothing else, you get a shot at mimicking "chef" !

valpotx

I would be terrible at announcing baseball.  Too much frustration in my voice with pitchers throwing balls, fielders making errors, or batters striking out :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Kyle321n

Quote from: a3uge on March 24, 2014, 05:03:50 PMDid I win?

I think I did.  :rotfl:

I'd like to petition to have the David Chadwick:  35% 3FG% thrown out since 2 for 5 isn't exactly telling :P
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

LaPorteAveApostle

lol hang on i was just updating it.

a3uge

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 24, 2014, 07:41:38 PM
lol hang on i was just updating it.

If you could provide the stats too that'll be ggrreeattt

LaPorteAveApostle

And here we are!  Everyone's entry (highlighted means correct).

First column is what the O/U was set at.  Second column is what it actually was, and the third column what the right answer would have been.

The last two columns are how many took "over" and how many "under".   Below you see we batted .538 as a team.

Dave_2010 gets the closest to the pin award for the tiebreaker, team ppg, btw.

But the GOLD award goes to our new champion, covufan!

The BROWN award for LAST PLACE goes to Kyle321n, but don't worry, man, we won't tell the people at the mid-majority blog-type thing about this.  Probably.

covufan, if you are interested, the promised prize was a copy of the Post-Trib's "Valpo Loves Bryce!" posters they printed in '94 for his college announcement.  (I took two that day as souvenirs when Karl Berner and I were jumping around and hollering.)  PM me with your address and I'll get it mailed off.

--So I bought the Carter hype.  I figure I was just a year early.  Most of you did not (10/15).

--I thought the Coleman number was interesting and you split almost down the middle (7 to 8).  He started in double-digits for the first six weeks or so...too bad things went south, both springs, for him.  I hope he can look back on his time here and be happy though.

--Despite the fact that Dority was an excellent FT shooter, most of you (9/15) thought he wouldn't keep cracking 80%.  Shame on you--especially wh, who, if he'd gotten this one right, would have tied for champion (but check his TB score). ;)

--Obviously I bought the "Capo's shooting 3s" too, and only 1 of you agreed (thanks, historyman).  And though he started out on fire, it tapered.  (I don't think he'd've gotten off 20 in the Columbia game, though.)

--Gueye, the best single-season block party in school history--enough said.

--Yeo...well, that didn't turn out the way 9/15 of us thought.  In November it looked like a safe bet...then he cracked 20 just twice more the rest of the way (on a team that had 9 crack 15 mpg, he wasn't among them).  Safe to say that won't be the case next year.

--Fernandez...see what I put for Capo (thanks, sir talksalot).  Obviously he'll better that next year. ...um, as long as he doesn't get in (cue voice) FOUL TROUBLE!

--Lexus!  His number here, like his game, a pleasant surprise.  He actually clinched the over 2/15 vs. Milwaukee.

--Davidson redshirt...one of two that we got most often wrong (10/15).  And, to be honest, I don't know that we should have.  He played all of 67 minutes, just 28 of which came after the point in the year where if he'd been shut down with what hockey would call "um...a lower-body injury" he could appeal for a redshirt.  And as always, with the redshirt, the equation is always "18 year old self" < "23 year old self".

--Adekoya was more than Adekuate, playing more than the 2/3 of games. (Davidson and Chadwick were the only two who didn't make this cutoff).

--Peters...his number was up and down around the 45% line--but finally finished over.  So over, in fact, that he shot 49% from the floor,  which is a great number even if it's only 6th on the team (everyone ahead of him is taller than he).  (EDIT:  so up and down in fact that I forgot to change it back!)

--Chadwick...well, what can I say.  We hardly knew ye.  Hope he gets healthy, whatever he does.

--The team.  (the team, the team...)  This would be the OTHER one that we got most often wrong.  And that's all I have to say about that, to paraphrase a certain someone.  sigh.mp4

Congrats all and thanks for playing--it'll be even better next year--just like our boys.

zvillehaze

I'd like to enter a protest on covufan's behalf ... it looks like he got the Peters FG% correct, didn't he?  Unless I'm confused (very possible), it looks like that whole row is reversed. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Egads, you're right.

Thanks for noticing.

a3uge

I LOST ON MISSING THE SMALL SAMPLE SIZED DAVID CHADWICK 3PT %? UGHS!

a3uge

Quote from: a3uge on November 05, 2013, 02:30:18 PM
12)  David Chadwick:  35% 3FG% UNDER
This is kind of a weird stat, since he'll take around 10 all year (hopefully that's it). Career is 22.2%. I don't know how much PT Chadwick is actually going to get, but the low sample size could cause this to go either way.

13)  Team:  20 wins UNDER
Does this include the 4 non D1 games? The OOC schedule is pretty tough, but the conference is bad enough where Valpo could finish with 10 or 11 wins. I'm expecting a .500 season.

He took 10 all year! And they finished .500! Doesn't that count for something!??

LaPorteAveApostle

actually, dude, and it hurts to deny my alter ego, but with the recount you were even farther from the top.

at least on rereading the "hl preview by USA today" I found the one instance where we disagreed.

i mean before this one.

vu72

Fantastic work as always!  :clap: :clap: :clap:  So here's my question:  I tied for third but was listed as 5th.  What are the tie breaker rules for seeding??   :crazy:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Dave_2010

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 24, 2014, 08:08:55 PM

Dave_2010 gets the closest to the pin award for the tiebreaker, team ppg, btw.

Hey, will you look at that...guess this proves that even a blind squirrel will find a nut every once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on March 24, 2014, 09:24:14 PMWhat are the tie breaker rules for seeding??
Team points per game.  So you (69.2) were further away from the truth (71.7) than valpofan11 (72.3) but closer than a3uge (69), pgmado (67.4) and swift mutiny (66.2).

Er, make that "4th". :)