• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

David Chadwick

Started by historyman, March 19, 2014, 04:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

I heard a rumor at the Columbia/CIT game that David Chadwick, due to medical issues, will not be on the MBB team next year. I understand his medical issues are not like Alex Rossi's issues but more to do with actual bone on bone issues. They are trying to find a non-athletic scholarship for him, much like they did for Australian Cameron Witt.

So that does open up an athletic scholarship that could be used for a big man, although there were two scholarships available. This will open up a third scholarship.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

chef

It would open up a 3rd available scholarship.

LaPorteAveApostle

That would be too bad for him. 

It's obviously not a Cameron Witt situation or even an Alex Rossi situation, because we already have 2 scholarships available and are still waiting.

If we still feel we never really got to see the real Alex Rossi, we totally never got to even know David. :/
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

That would explain why he was never put in during garbage time over the second half of the season!  It made absolutely no sense that we would be up by 15+ with 2 minutes left, and only Nick Davidson would come in, not David.  I am glad to hear that he will finish his degree at Valpo (assuming this rumor is true), but sad to hear that it was medical issues that kept him from playing for us.
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on March 19, 2014, 10:55:09 AMThat would explain why he was never put in during garbage time over the second half of the season!  It made absolutely no sense that we would be up by 15+ with 2 minutes left, and only Nick Davidson would come in, not David.
Over the second half I can remember being down 15 more than being up 15 with 2 minutes left but I get your point.   ;)   David has spent 2 seasons here and unfortunately for all of us never even had the chance to fully display his potential. Darn shame!

EddieCabot

He's got to be pretty close to graduating after this semester, doesn't he?  I've heard he's an excellent student.

valpotx

If the dude got into Rice, he would have to be VERY smart.  Rice is essentially the Duke University of Texas.  Maybe he will receive his Bachelors this year, and finish his Masters next year?
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusadermoe

Asking a Texan:  Is Rice named for a family named Rice or just generally named after the rice crop that grew there?   

Always seemed like an odd name for a university even though it is definitely top drawer!!   

historyman

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 19, 2014, 09:04:09 PMAsking a Texan:  Is Rice named for a family named Rice or just generally named after the rice crop that grew there? Always seemed like an odd name for a university even though it is definitely top drawer!!
William Marsh Rice University, commonly referred to as Rice University or Rice, is a private research university located on a 295-acre (1.19 km2) campus in Houston, Texas, United States. The university is situated near the Houston Museum District and adjacent to the Texas Medical Center.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_University

Since it's official name is William Marsh Rice University I think you have your answer right there in it's name.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 19, 2014, 09:04:09 PMjust generally named after the rice crop that grew there?
Quote from: historyman on March 19, 2014, 09:25:22 PMWilliam Marsh Rice University
Clearly named for William™ brand Marsh Rice® ("right outta the Texas swamps!!"), of course, the original sponsor of Marsh Madness©
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

$4.8 billion in endowment at a school of 6,400 total students.  Maybe we can be that some day in both aspects :)

I had no idea that Duke has 14,600 students ($6.0 billion endowment).  Good that Wikipedia has become a more trusted source over the years.  Good, not perfect ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo84

Duke has a lot of grad schools -- medical, law, etc. Undergrad is about 8000 without looking it up based on my son's recruiting trip there a few years ago. Rice, Valpo and Wake are among the smallest D1 schools (although a few others have joined more recently) in basketball. Rice and Wake are the smallest in BCS Football. Rice has been an NCAA leading baseball team too. Oh, be a little nervous if Wake releases Jeff Bzdelik, as expected. That job would be a good fit for a certain coach, although word out of Carolina is Ben Howland is a leading contender.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

FWalum

Quote from: valpo84 on March 20, 2014, 08:12:51 AMOh, be a little nervous if Wake releases Jeff Bzdelik, as expected.
Originally thought this was a decent fit with him coming from Air Force via Colorado.  Even after the horrible first and second years I was willing to say that transition is a b!]c#. Now after four years the guy just isn't getting it done.  I do think it would be a great fit for a certain coach, but I think after this last experience Wake will pony up and go after a bigger name.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valporun

I thought Bzdelik was the former Denver Nuggets coach who couldn't win games there either. Maybe time for him to sit in an assistant coach's seat somewhere? Ben Howland would probably get a phone call to Wake first, because he has a high-major coaching resume.

covufan

Quote from: valpo84 on March 20, 2014, 08:12:51 AMOh, be a little nervous if Wake releases Jeff Bzdelik, as expected. That job would be a good fit for a certain coach, although word out of Carolina is Ben Howland is a leading contender.
Not nervous, but I'm sure the Wake Forest Basketball faitful are still scratching their heads "Why did we get rid of Dino?"

They need to clean house and get rid of the AD as well!

valpospartan

historyman

Quote from: covufan on March 20, 2014, 01:55:12 PM
Quote from: valpo84 on March 20, 2014, 08:12:51 AMOh, be a little nervous if Wake releases Jeff Bzdelik, as expected. That job would be a good fit for a certain coach, although word out of Carolina is Ben Howland is a leading contender.
Not nervous, but I'm sure the Wake Forest Basketball faitful are still scratching their heads "Why did we get rid of Dino?"

They need to clean house and get rid of the AD as well!
Well, obviously the faitful are just worried about the fait of Wake Forest.

ARCInsider

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 19, 2014, 09:51:49 PM
Quote from: crusadermoe on March 19, 2014, 09:04:09 PMjust generally named after the rice crop that grew there?
Quote from: historyman on March 19, 2014, 09:25:22 PMWilliam Marsh Rice University
Clearly named for William™ brand Marsh Rice® ("right outta the Texas swamps!!"), of course, the original sponsor of Marsh Madness©

zvillehaze

Paul Oren‏@NWIOren·42 mins
David Chadwick (knee/leg) also battling pain. Was limited to 84 minutes this season. Still expected to play next season. #HLMBB

valpotx

Well, hopefully he resolves his physical issues so that we can see who he truly is on the basketball court.  We can use the size, even if he plays 1/2 of his time on the perimeter
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Senior forward David Chadwick has not participated in any basketball activities since the season ended, as he continues to deal with a chronic knee issue.

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/26889019-556/mens-basketball-bryce-drew-downplays-tulsa-speculation.html#.U09ySfldU3l

LaPorteAveApostle

In case you didn't see this stellar article:

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/chadwick-finds-peace-at-valparaiso-after-whirlwind-journey/article_a2c92a02-0854-5925-af0a-31310dabcced.html

I want Paul to have the hits his work deserves, so I ask you to click on it (why I haven't C&P'd it) to read it.

If you want a workaround to how to view the NWI Times website without subscribing, send me a PM.  (I don't want to put Paul in an awkward position by detailing it in front of him, plus some NWI Times lackey might read it and close the loophole.)

Thanks for this--I would have been more understanding of him if I'd just known what he was going through last year. :/

And no matter what else happens we'll always have 8 pts vs. JMU!

valpopal

I second the recommendation of Paul's fine article on Chadwick. It is amazing to consider how much physical injury David has had to endure over the years. Indeed, I saw him this evening, and I winced just watching David's pronounced limp as he walked, yet always displaying a wide smile for everyone around him.

valpotx

Wow, didn't know he had that much of an injury history, or was a top recruit out of HS.  When he does shoot, even with his misses, his form and quick release look fantastic.  You can tell that he used to be quicker, and that his mind still can see him trying to do more than his legs allow.  Sounds like a great kid.  I love our program in that the only time that I can remember us parting ways with a player, was with Cam Witt.  I believe that we still honored his scholarship though, when many schools wouldn't have done so.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo84

BTW Bzdelik is now a Memphis Grizzlies assistant (if we are resurrecting old threads and hijacks thereof....) glad David had a big game against JMU.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum