• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

"Possibly" emerged as Tulsa candidate

Started by Chairback, April 12, 2014, 04:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

If a new fieldhouse was built, they could renovate the ARC to be more of an arena. Right now it's like trying to fit Optimus Prime for child seats. There's only so much expansion you can do when the requirements are still a multipurpose collapsible facility.

I think the master plan hints at keeping the ARC for basketball and building a fieldhouse for practices, students, academic offices etc.

Like I said, the ARC can be renovated and still be nice. My idea has always been to tear out the track and make the seating on the bleacher side seamless to the floor, shift the court back to the bleachers and move the existing chairbacks forward. Then will the space from the old track, build a proper media box/platform as well as 3 or 4 other corporate (Family Express lol) pseudo luxury boxes. Nothing fancy, just some comfy chairs and some TVs. Eliminate the back entrance the students come in, fill that space with a tunnel or something. Not entirely sure on this. Build proper bleachers (platforms with foldable chairs) underneath the current home basket, move all concessions to a renovated concourse.

HC

Seems to me we get pretty good recruits...maybe the lackluster facilities is more of an issue for us then it is to the recruits.  I would imagine their main goal is to get good enough to play professionally somewhere. While Valpo may not have what we view as a recruitable facility we do have a pretty good track record of getting guys professional contracts (albeit overseas).

valpo64

Remember all the $$ the State of Ohio poured into Cleveland State's facility.  The result?  There is more to a successful program than an expensive facility that seats alot of people...just ask CSU.

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on April 16, 2014, 12:21:40 PMI guess that leaves lots of religious schools as options but would also think that Catholic schools (no offense intended Apostle) might not be a good fit either as the approach and teachings might not fit with a Bible Christian, which I believe Bryce might be.  So, as valpotx pointed out, TCU might fit or perhaps a private, non-religious school who wouldn't find his faith and sharing to be an issue--maybe a Wake Forest, who knows.
Wake Forest is still very much a Baptist school.  Hard to mistake it as a non-religious school when, much like VU, you have this building in the middle of your campus.

If Manning doesn't work out IMO this is the perfect fit for Bryce.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Dave_2010

Quote from: valpo64 on April 17, 2014, 01:35:00 PMRemember all the $$ the State of Ohio poured into Cleveland State's facility.  The result?  There is more to a successful program than an expensive facility that seats alot of people...just ask CSU.

To that point, the Wolstein Center has been hemorrhaging money to the tune of $1M annually since the day it opened in 1991 (certainly since the Gund/Quicken Loans Arena opened in 94). Several years ago, the university hired Comcast Spectacor to run the arena. Little has changed since then. Things have actually gotten to the point that the university is considering tearing down the building and replacing it.

From a financial perspective, the general rule is that for an arena to break even on its operating costs, it must host approximately 200 events per year...this number does not take in to account any money used to service the construction debt either. Though this doesn't apply 100% to Valpo since any construction/renovations would be paid for largely through donations and operations would be subsidized by the university, it certainly highlights why "just build an arena" is not a viable response to every one of the athletic department's problems. In fact, it has the potential to cause more problems than it solves.

VULB#62

Quote from: Dave_2010 on April 17, 2014, 02:30:59 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on April 17, 2014, 01:35:00 PMRemember all the $$ the State of Ohio poured into Cleveland State's facility.  The result?  There is more to a successful program than an expensive facility that seats alot of people...just ask CSU.

To that point, the Wolstein Center has been hemorrhaging money to the tune of $1M annually since the day it opened in 1991 (certainly since the Gund/Quicken Loans Arena opened in 94). Several years ago, the university hired Comcast Spectacor to run the arena. Little has changed since then. Things have actually gotten to the point that the university is considering tearing down the building and replacing it.

From a financial perspective, the general rule is that for an arena to break even on its operating costs, it must host approximately 200 events per year...this number does not take in to account any money used to service the construction debt either. Though this doesn't apply 100% to Valpo since any construction/renovations would be paid for largely through donations and operations would be subsidized by the university, it certainly highlights why "just build an arena" is not a viable response to every one of the athletic department's problems. In fact, it has the potential to cause more problems than it solves.

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=716.0

If most of us can recall, the Facilities string contains all of these same discussions almost verbatim.  The sports scene is pretty slow right now so it's understandable  ::)  It's kind of fun to go back and see how failthful we all are to the previous arguements.

vu72

Quote from: FWalum on April 17, 2014, 02:04:36 PM
Quote from: vu72 on April 16, 2014, 12:21:40 PMI guess that leaves lots of religious schools as options but would also think that Catholic schools (no offense intended Apostle) might not be a good fit either as the approach and teachings might not fit with a Bible Christian, which I believe Bryce might be.  So, as valpotx pointed out, TCU might fit or perhaps a private, non-religious school who wouldn't find his faith and sharing to be an issue--maybe a Wake Forest, who knows.
Wake Forest is still very much a Baptist school.  Hard to mistake it as a non-religious school when, much like VU, you have this building in the middle of your campus.

Thanks for this information FWalum.  I didn't know that.  My understanding is that "Bible Christians" pretty much follow the Baptist traditions,so Wake Forest, being private, religious and Baptist, would indeed be a great fit for Bryce, just not anytime soon!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo04

Quote from: FWalum on April 17, 2014, 02:04:36 PM

The University of Maryland has a very similar chapel on their campus, but is certainly not a religious school:

LaPorteAveApostle

shocking that having a building that looks like a town hall or a mormon temple would not by itself make a "Christian" university.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valpo89

I wonder if Missouri would go after Matt Painter again? Talk about "stock being lower."

bbtds

Quote from: crusaderjoe on April 17, 2014, 09:23:36 AMFairmont High School Graduation   May 22, 2014 (Thu) 7:00 PM     
Fairborn High School Graduation   May 23, 2014 (Fri) 7:00 PM     
Centerville High School Graduation   May 24, 2014 (Sat) 10:00 AM     
Northmont High School Graduation   May 25, 2014 (Sun) 2:00 PM     
Little Miami High School Graduation   May 27, 2014 (Tue) 7:00 PM     
Xenia High School Graduation   May 28, 2014 (Wed) 7:00 PM     
Stebbins High School Graduation   May 29, 2014 (Thu) 7:00 PM     
Franklin High School Graduation   May 30, 2014 (Fri) 7:00 PM     
Beavercreek High School Graduation   May 31, 2014 (Sat) 9:00 AM     
Miamisburg High School Graduation   May 31, 2014 (Sat) 2:00 PM     
Lebanon High School Graduation   May 31, 2014 (Sat) 6:00 PM     
Wayne High School Graduation   Jun 1, 2014 (Sun) 2:00 PM     
Springboro High School Graduation   Jun 7, 2014 (Sat) 6:00 PM     
Tecumseh High School Graduation   Jun 8, 2014 (Sun) 2:00 PM   

How can they recruit athletes to such a HIGH SCHOOL gym even if it seats over 10,000.

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 17, 2014, 02:38:14 PM
Quote from: Dave_2010 on April 17, 2014, 02:30:59 PM

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=716.0

If most of us can recall, the Facilities string contains all of these same discussions almost verbatim.  The sports scene is pretty slow right now so it's understandable  ::)  It's kind of fun to go back and see how failthful we all are to the previous arguements.

To be fair, every thread, when long enough, will gravitate to a Bryce Drew leaving and facilities discussion. Since this thread (I think, I'm not even sure which one I'm on) has to do with Bryce Drew leaving, we were destined to start a facilities discussion by the 3rd or 4th page.

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on April 17, 2014, 03:09:53 PM
Wow, what is wrong at Missouri for him to want the Tulsa job instead???

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10797288/frank-haith-missouri-tigers-deal-coach-tulsa-golden-hurricane-per-sources
Wow.........Wow........Wow..........Wow!!!!!!!!

Haith must have a reason but something must be pretty rotten for Frank in Columbia-Mizzzzzzourah!!!!

And Haith isn't a TU guy either so he won't stay. Maybe he thinks the AAC is better than the SEC in basketball? After I say it sounds so stupid.

valpo04

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 17, 2014, 03:03:10 PM
shocking that having a building that looks like a town hall or a mormon temple would not by itself make a "Christian" university.

Which was the exact point of my post.

LaPorteAveApostle

...i'm sorry i concurred with the opinion expressed by your picture with words rather than clicking your new like button
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpo04

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 18, 2014, 09:33:45 PM
...i'm sorry i concurred with the opinion expressed by your picture with words rather than clicking your new like button

It certainly would have been clearer than your snarky reply was.

crusadermoe

Cruadermoe can tell you that every one here in "Mo" is GLAD Haith left for Tulsa.

He pulled off a 10-year deal for a slight raise in pay over his Mo. contract.   I do suspect that Bryce makes less than the $1.875 per year that Haith is getting.