• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Our next head coach

Started by NativeCheesehead, April 02, 2016, 01:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

I think Gore deserves to be "considered" because he's been with the program so long but he'd be about option f. Powell is extremely important for maintaining current roster without guys like Peters, Jubril, maybe even Hammink from transferring. Plus he was by far our programs best recruiter. He's served 4-5 years as assistant.

Greg Tonagel is an alum and from everything I've heard is very smart coach and had success at D2 level. But can he recruit? Can he handle the D1 level right away? Most importantly, if we do higher him will we lose guys like Peters, Hammink, Smitts, Walker and lose our very good commitment in Micah Bradford. Micah Bradford's main reason for signing with Valpo was because he wanted to work with Bryce Drew. Would the athletic department release him from his commitment and look elsewhere now that Bryce is gone. I think they would and I hope we can hold onto him because he looks like a really good player and extreme underrated in the state of Illinois.

VULB#62

Quote from: valpotx on April 04, 2016, 11:13:41 AM
I love Tonagel, but it's a large step up from NAIA D-2 to NCAA D-1.  The dude is extremely smart, and I assume that he can recruit at this level as well, but would Peters stay?

From the IWU web site (not up dated to reflect their recent 2016 National Championship):

Greg Tonagel
Head Coach- 11th Season

Greg Tonagel begins his 11th season at the helm of the Indiana Wesleyan University men's basketball team in 2015-16.
Tonagel and the Wildcats reached the summit in 2013-14 as the program won its first ever NAIA Division II national championship in Point Lookout, Missouri. Indiana Wesleyan won the red banner in unprecedented fashion as they became the first team to win all five of their games at the national tournament by double digit points.
Indiana Wesleyan capped the historic championship run with a 78-68 victory over No. 10-ranked Midland (Neb.) in the national championship game. Following the game, Tonagel was named the NABC/NAIA Division II National Coach of the Year.
In his 10 season as a head coach, Tonagel has already led Indiana Wesleyan to a national championship, five Elite Eight finishes, and eight Crossroads League regular season championships, including seven straight from 2009-15.
Indiana Wesleyan finished the 2013-14 season as the No. 1-ranked team in NAIA Division II. Tonagel's teams have spent time in the NAIA top-five in each of the last nine seasons.
Despite being a head coach for only 10seasons, Tonagel is already the winningest coach in the program's history. He has the highest winning percentage (.775), most wins (268), most postseason victories (16), most national tournament appearances (8), and most Crossroads League regular season championships (8).
The former Valparaiso (Ind.) University point guard, known for his hard work and energy, has brought those characteristics to the basketball program. Tonagel was introduced as head men's basketball coach on April 1, 2005. Drawing from experience gained from leading the Valparaiso Crusaders to four NCAA tournament appearances as a starting point guard, along with the tutelage of mentor Homer Drew, Tonagel has helped orchestrate a new era of Wildcat basketball.
Prior to Tonagel's hiring, the Wildcats had won seven games and finished last in the Mid-Central College Conference. The program improved by 10 wins under Tonagel's tutelage in his first year on the bench and reached the NAIA Elite Eight in his second season. Making a name for himself when it comes to program building, Tonagel has done it through sound developmental teaching and high caliber recruiting.
Known for defense, the Wildcats led the nation in scoring defense at 59 points per game at the completion of the 2006-07 regular season. They also ranked in the top ten in the nation in six defensive categories in the 2009-2010 season. Although it all starts on the defensive end for the Wildcats, an up-tempo, aggressive offensive style that utilizes skilled and creative play has rejuvenated Luckey Arena into a fantastic place to experience a basketball game. Tonagel and his staff have introduced an innovative offensive style that players want to be a part of and fans desire to see.
Perhaps the biggest influence that Tonagel and the staff have had on the program is the work ethic that they have instilled on and off the court. Tonagel's teams have passion and toughness. Whether it is writing a paper, helping a neighbor or working out in the gym, Tonagel demands commitment and 100-percent effort from each student-athlete.
Many consider his weight and conditioning programs to be as hard as any around. Players learn to bond together, which is the only way to survive these grueling workouts.
Prior to his current position, Tonagel served as Director of Basketball Operations at Valparaiso University, where he played in four NCAA Tournaments. He also led his LaPorte High School team to the last single class state finals in 1997. Greg and his wife, Amy, along with their three children Jace, William, and Allie reside in Marion. He is active in a number of organizations and causes, most notably his church.

VU2014

This is the moment Valparaiso AD Mark LaBarbera truly earns his pay check. This is going to be his most difficult and crucial hire of his career. The Valpo Men's Basketball team is the breadwinner for the rest of the athletic department and is huge for school morale and bring in donations from alumni. Praying he makes the right choice for the future of the program.

It would be wise for him to start raising funds for a new facility. Valpo has sort of been riding the coattails of the Drew family success for the last few decades and we've been able to have success with sub-par facilities but now it probably won't be a quite as easy for whoever the new coach is.

oklahomamick

Powell as the head coach, Tongagel as an assistant.  The Drew sister on staff as well.
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

Greg Tonagel is not going to leave to become an assistant. Plus I'm not sure if Powell has a relationship or any connection to Greg Tonagel. Greg Tonagel left before Powell came to the program. It's going to be one or the other.

VULB#62

I love Roger Powell as a person and a coach and recruiter.  However, being a HBBC is different from being as assistant.  I don't know if he has the DNA for that -- no one does until he proves it.  Tonagel, OTOH, has shown that he has the leadership, management skills and temperament required of a HBBC.  UWGB has demonstrated, in the hiring of Linc Darner, that a successful HBBC from a lower level can succeed at the D-I level in his first year.  Assuming Alec, et.al. stay,  either Roger or Greg would have a solid nucleus to work with.

a3uge

Valpo89

I was told Peters would have to sit out a year if he followed Bryce.

oklahomamick

Alec is a question everyone has been asking, but what about T. Walker, Skara, Jubril, Smits?  They came to play for Bryce.  Not to mention the new recruits. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

Alec is a senior and I believe he's eligible to transfer anywhere he wants but I think the new HC will be able to restrict where he transfers too (so for example: no where in conference). I could be wrong though.

I think Powell is the logical choice being safe recruiting stand point and being able to entice guy like Skara, Peters, T Walker, Hammink and Smitts not to transfer.

But I actually think Tonagel has proven the in game HC experience and a high level success at least one level of Basketball. I'm not sure he could prevent guys from not transferring. Also not sure he has the ability to recruit Chicago or all over the midwest.

If Tonagel could convince the current roster not to transfer that I'd go with him over Powell and role the dice and hope he has the recruiting chops. 

NativeCheesehead

I believe it's considered bad form to take players with you to a new school. Or at least it used to be. Can't remember a situation where it's happened recently.

VU2014

Good Form and College Athletics aren't compatible.

College Football and College Basketball are the most corrupt sports top to bottom maybe other then FIFA. That being said Bryce Drew and Alec Peters are two class act individuals. But I think its not out the realm of possibilities that Peters or others may transfer. Hoping not. My gut says Alec will stay, especially if Powell gets the job.

jloose128

Hire Powell. Too big of a transition for Tonagel.

elephtheria47

Need to be smart and see the long term picture here. While i don't want to see anyone leave the current team,  I want to make sure the head guy is the right guy versus choosing someone that will keep the current players here. If both can be done, excellent!

VUOR63

Maybe instead of putting money into facilities, Valpo should put money into new cars for recruits...oh, was that supposed to be kept on the hush hush?

NativeCheesehead

We now know VUOR63 is really Pete Carroll

VULB#62

Hard to believe that if/when Bryce moves on, for the first time in 28 years, Valpo will have a HBBC not named Drew.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: jloose128 on April 04, 2016, 12:42:35 PM

Agree.  Keep it simple and follow the Butler model.

Valpo89

It would NOT be too big of a transition for Tonagel. He knows the school, he knows the league. He can recruit.

If he's interested and gets the job, I'd say a great assistant for him would be Chris Artis. He's a VU guy with Chicago connections and actually coached David Skara in his one year at a local prep school. Skara would put in a good word for him with the players. The players would love Tonagel.

Kyle321n

Quote from: crusaderjoe on April 04, 2016, 01:20:50 PM

And hire Tonagel as the top assistant.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

cornonthe

In order to keep this freight train moving in the right direction, they need to hire Roger Powell as coach...or if we are leaving the Horizon for the MVC, A-10 or wherever...we'll need to hire a big, available name...but I still say Coach Powell would be the best choice...

VULB#62

Quote from: Kyle321n on April 04, 2016, 01:36:55 PM
Quote from: crusaderjoe on April 04, 2016, 01:20:50 PM

And hire Tonagel as the top assistant.

As stated by others before, Tonagel will not leave IWU to be an assistant after winning two national championships there. Tonagel is dynamic and a go-getter.  He knows how to be a head coach and has paid his dues.  As mentioned above he is VERY familiar with the VU environment and is part of the Drew coaching tree.  Roger, on the other hand, will be learning on the job next year, and IF the players all stay, it looks like another high expectation season.  That's a lot of pressure on a rookie first year HC.

vu72

Quote from: Valpo89 on April 04, 2016, 01:22:54 PM
It would NOT be too big of a transition for Tonagel. He knows the school, he knows the league. He can recruit.

If he's interested and gets the job, I'd say a great assistant for him would be Chris Artis. He's a VU guy with Chicago connections and actually coached David Skara in his one year at a local prep school. Skara would put in a good word for him with the players. The players would love Tonagel.

Yes he can. At the NAIA D2 level.  My guess is that the kids he gets are very strong Christians who want a small school, very religious environment.  Hoe many were/are D1 material?  Maybe 1 or 2?  Granted Bryce was great at recruiting Christian kids but, with the expectation of playing D1 basketball for a guy who played for the Bulls.  Not sure Greg's success carries over to Valpo.  I would think Powell might be a better choice.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Seems like everyone is limiting the coaching search to Powell, Tonagel, and Gore, for obvious reasons.

Any outside the box candidates without program ties if AD Mark LaBarbera decides to go that route that people would like to get interviews?

agibson

If we don't go back to Homer, I wonder if there's a scenario where Bryce returns after a few years away?

Farfetched, perhaps.