• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2016-17

Started by VULB#62, April 05, 2016, 08:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

I know this is not the best time to start this string, but USAToday did a forward look today at next season and projected the Top 25.  They picked both Florida State (22) and St. Mary's (24) to be in the mix.  And we beat them both.  Hmmmm  :-\

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2016/04/05/college-basketball-early-preseason-top-25-duke-kentucky/82517880/

valpocleveland

Both return their head coaches. St. Mary's returns it's top 8 scorers (sounds like us from a year ago). FSU has a top 10 recruiting class coming in. Rankings seem justified, maybe even low.

vu84v2

Assuming Peters came back, Valpo would hypothetically be very competitive with top WCC teams next year. Valpo would be every bit as good as Saint Mary's, Gonzaga and BYU.

atkins

Bryce's departure is an obvious hurdle; however, USA Today's prediction probably predated Bryce's departure by several days or more. 

Most press predictions will likely disregard Valpo because of the departure of Vashil and the probable departure of the Floor General (i.e., Keith).  Because of Vashil's blocks, he attained national notoriety.  I have no idea how far Smits has progressed, but Vashil was an offensive non-factor on many occasions, so if Smits has bulked up and is a good positional rebounder, he can add substantially more overall than Vashil.  We will miss Vashil's blocks and court presence, but we were never a center-dominated team.  I have no idea what will happen with the point guard position.   

The guys (other than Alec) will have to elevate their rebounding and eliminate the inconsistent free throw shooting.  As we all know, so many close games are won (or lost) on free throw shooting -- beginning early in the game.  Alec's outstanding rebounding compensated for other guys' mediocre rebounding.

Historically, many highly ranked teams have done very well by maximizing the skills of athletic and strong rebounding guards, so rebounding is something in which guys such as Tevon can excel.  Shane is somewhat of an "X" factor.  He is an excellent penetrating and slashing forward (or stretch 2), but he makes some puzzling decisions on the floor.  If he can eliminate that inconsistency, he will be terrific.  I am not sure about Skara.  I thought he would be further along than he is at this point, regardless of the injury.  Jubril is solid and will continue to be a valuable contributor. 

We will be better than the media "experts" predict, but whether we are top-25 remains to be seen. 

classof2014

Next season is going to be the most important season for the program. Do they continue to build upon what Bryce did or do they fall back down with the rest of the HL. Like everyone else, I hope nobody transfers and if we return everybody I believe we'll be in good shape. Hopefully Lexus can return to the form he was before all the injuries. To me he's the most logical choice as the PG. Let us not forget he was on the all-freshmen team along with Alec a few seasons ago.

oklahomamick

I think Max Joseph will be a good point and probably the starter.
CRUSADERS!!!

Valpo89

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 05, 2016, 11:19:50 AM
I think Max Joseph will be a good point and probably the starter.
Think again.

VU2014

Agreed. I think if we can maintain our roster without any transfers it will help put us on solid footing for competing for the HL title next season, and give a spring board for recruiting to show recruits next year that Valpo is still one of the better mid-major programs.

As for your point on Lexus. I've been extremely curious as to why he hardly got any playing time this year. I know he had the ACL injury, but is the athleticism gone? Or was it that we had Keith as our starter playing big minutes, but even when we took keith out this season Bryce would put Hammink or even E. Victor at point sometimes and it was sort of maddening to me. Hammink is not a good ball handler. He just isn't, but his main game is using superior athleticism to drive to the rim which I get he needs to ball in his hands to do that, because he doesn't have a great jump shot or at least didn't this season. But going back to Lexus, he was a very affective PG his freshman year playing big minutes and was a very good on the ball defender his freshman year and we just didn't see him enough to evaluate him.

To be honest I think Micah Bradford is going to play big time minutes next season, sort of how Lexus did his freshman year. I'm not sure how his defensive game game is but I know he's a pretty good at finishing at the hoop and he has a sweet jump shot from long range that could draw out defenders to keep them honest. I'm really excited about Micah Bradford and hoping he'll stay with us.   

VU2014

Max Joesph seems like a sort of a combo guard to me. We really have never got see him play too much but from what I've seen he's pretty athletic but sort of plays out of control sometimes. It should be interesting to see how roster will be used next season with the guards since we'll be graduating D. Walker, K Carter, and E. Victor. There are definitely going to opportunities for guys to grab a job. I'm hoping T. Walker can work on his jump shot this summer. He always seemed pretty hesitant shooting the ball from the perimeter and we'll miss Darien Walker playing that role. D. Walker was a pretty streaky shooter but he was never afraid to take the shot and made the defender play solid man to man.

VULB#62

Here's the latest writeup on Derrik Smits.  He's weighing in at 247 lbs. these days.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/05/13/derrik-smits-ready-get-started-again/84336114/

[tweet]731296637499416577[/tweet]

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 15, 2016, 02:16:34 PM
Here's the latest writeup on Derrik Smits.  He's weighing in at 247 lbs. these days.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2016/05/13/derrik-smits-ready-get-started-again/84336114/

[tweet]731296637499416577[/tweet]
The good:
Derrik is the same height as Alec Brown, but 25 lbs. heavier.

The bad:
Derrik is taking 12 hours over 2 summer sessions. Obviously, he is looking to graduate in 3 years with 2 years of playing eligibility remaining. If he performs well over the next 2 seasons, D-1 Majors everywhere will be covertly sending word through channels and sources that they would like Derrik to express an interest in them. Yes, folks, that's the way it works (even at Michigan State - someone get ready to revive valpospartan after he reads this).

M

Those teams should be ranked ahead of Valpo going into next year.

Max has zero offensive game, so far. Bradford should be the starter if he's as good as advertised.

If Smits ends up good enough to move on in a few years then Valpo should be fun to watch the next two years and ha E a lot of success too.

wh

Max's shooting form is not good. He doesn't begin his shooting motion until he has nearly reached the peak of his elevation, then releases the ball on his descent. In effect, he has 2 opposing vertical motions -arms going up while body is coming down.  It's not unlike shooting a fadeaway except a fadeaway has 2 conflicting horizontal motions- body motion is going away from the target, arms are going toward it.

I hope Matt is a stickler for proper form.

valpotx

Wasn't it Waters at CSU who mentioned that he is no longer letting his kids take summer classes to graduate in 3 years?  I guess that they could pay for it on their own, but I believe that we have to give permission for our scholarship athletes to take summer courses to get ahead?
"Don't mess with Texas"

ValpoFan

I was at commencement today and I was surprised to see Jubril Adekoya getting his bachelor degree  :o.
I am glad no one is talking about him transferring out.

VULB#62

Bryce came back as well to keep a promise to Darien.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2016/05/15/vanderbilts-bryce-drew-keeps-promise-valparaiso-graduation/84417272/

[tweet]732024016240807936[/tweet]

Hmmmmm....   I wonder what other discussions with former and current players might have ensued?

VU2014

Wow Derrik Smits is taking 12 credits? That's a clear sign he's setting himself up for early graduation and giving himself the option to transfer out very early. It's not out of the ordinary for college basketball players to taking 3-6 credits during the summer to take a lighter course load during the school year to lighten the burden during the season. I took summer school course on campus with Rowdy, Vucic, and a couple other players years ago. 12 credits in the summer on top of playing with the Dutch team is an extremely busy summer to say the least.

VU2014

Really excited about Micah! He has a ton of potential on the court and sounds like a great kid. https://twitter.com/barrybradford3/status/732334001399140352

vu72

Quote from: VU2014 on May 16, 2016, 07:28:14 PM
Really excited about Micah! He has a ton of potential on the court and sounds like a great kid. https://twitter.com/barrybradford3/status/732334001399140352
No doubt about his potential but he looks like a strong wind would be a problem.  Hit the weights young man!  You have a VERY bright future wearing the Brown and Gold!!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 15, 2016, 02:16:34 PM

Quote"I'm about 25 pounds heavier than I was when I graduated," he said. "Obviously that jumps me up another level, which is awesome. I used to get beat up by Vashil, and now I'm holding my own against him. He can't back me down very easily.

Glad to hear they got in some good sparring time.

valpopal

Valpo will be holding a reception with season ticket holders to welcome Coach Lottich on June 9. By then, the decision by Peters will be known and maybe new recruits will be named. Therefore, this event just a bit more than two weeks away will represent the symbolic start to what Athletics is describing as "a new era of basketball for the Crusaders." This could be a good way for everyone to turn the page and look forward to the new season and a new direction.

wh

Sounds like an exciting and newsy event. Unfortunately, wife and I will be in STT for several weeks starting next Tuesday. Hopefully, my daughter can go and report back.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on May 22, 2016, 10:43:38 AMUnfortunately, wife and I will be in STT

Is STT the airport code of St Thomas in the Virgin Islands?

VULB#62

Quote from: bbtds on May 22, 2016, 04:35:10 PM
Quote from: wh on May 22, 2016, 10:43:38 AMUnfortunately, wife and I will be in STT

Wondering the same. If so sucks to be WH.  ;)

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 22, 2016, 05:20:53 PM
Quote from: bbtds on May 22, 2016, 04:35:10 PM

Wondering the same. If so sucks to be WH.  ;)

Yes, kind of our home away from home and a place we have made a lot of great memories for the past 23 years.