• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Ryan Broekhoff and Australia Olympic Basketball

Started by vu84v2, August 06, 2016, 02:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

I figured this deserved its own thread.

Australia blew out France. Ryan did not start, but played big minutes due to Ingles being in foul trouble. Broekhoff looked good, though it would have been nice to see him hit a few more shots. 7 points and I would guess 3 or 4 rebounds, 1 or 2 steals and some good defense on the French guy that Charlotte just signed as a free agent.

France was awful. Words cannot describe how bad their defense was. Middle school teams defend screens and players cutting to the basket better than France did.

wh

bbtds

Quote from: wh on August 06, 2016, 03:37:16 PM
Does anyone know when their next game is?

Australia vs Serbia

Monday,  August 8,  1:15 p.m. eastern  / 12:15 p.m. central

VU2014

The Aussie's men's basketball team looks pretty talented this year! Rowdy nailed a 3! I'll be watching and rooting all the way (until they play USA lol, but I'd still hope Ryan plays well)

vu84v2

Big win for Australia today. 95-80 over a good Serbia team. Game was close throughout, but Australia had a big 4th quarter. Not a huge game for Ryan - 4 points in about 12 minutes. He looks good and comfortable out there (and is always hustling). It would be great to see him hit a few threes to get on track.

My guess is that Australia will give the US a game on Wednesday. They have the depth, talent and experience to play with the US for long stretches. They may lose by 20, but it should be competitive. For those of you that check this game out and have not seen Australia yet, Ryan is playing backup at the 3 (and a little at the 2). He plays behind Ingles who plays for the Utah Jazz. Bogut, Baines, Ingles, Mills and Dellavedova are all NBA players and make a pretty good starting five. They get strong bench play from Ryan, Andersen and Lisch (who is the son of the former Notre Dame and Bears QB).

M

Australia may last a half vs US, but the US team isn't winning a game by less then 25 points vs Australia.

usc4valpo

The US will win decisively, but the Aussies play decent basketball. It should fun to watch today.

In reality, the Olympic sport I am really enjoying that was not on my mental radar was beach volleyball.

VUSWIM08-12

Ryan is  playing well in the 1st Quarter. Has two free throws on a D. Jordan technical! Playing Great Defense as well!

VUSWIM08-12

Aussie's up 5 at the half! Ryan only played three or four minutes in the 2nd quarter but he has faced KD one and one at least twice and stopped him both times. I'm sure the U.S. will get it together as they aren't really playing team ball, but I'd rather watch a close game!

M

Lots closer then I'd thought it would be. Too bad they don't run more sets for Ryan.

bbtds

Wow! A 10 point win for the Americans over the Boomers was not in any way what I was expecting. Great challenge by Ryan Broekhoff and his Aussie teammates.

vu72

Quote from: M on August 08, 2016, 08:34:02 PM

So  much fro your basketball prediction ability.  Rowdy played limited minutes but was on the floor for most of the final quarter.  Played very steady and made a couple of very nice assists and rebounds. He is playing behind Joe Ingels of the Utah Jazz.  This is a very talented gritty Aussie team.  Wouldn't be surprised to see them again in the Gold Medal game.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

M

And you don't know how to use the quote function so we are even!

Dirty? Melo was the one delivering low blows while Cousins threw his weight around every chance he had. I was pulling for Australia and hope to see the US lose at some point in these games.

vu72

Quote from: M on August 10, 2016, 10:08:37 PM
And you don't know how to use the quote function so we are even!

Dirty? Melo was the one delivering low blows while Cousins threw his weight around every chance he had. I was pulling for Australia and hope to see the US lose at some point in these games.

Yet you are the one who thought it would be a blow out in the second half.  Rowdy was on the floor most of the final quarter and delivered a couple of great assists.  His future is very bright!

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

nkvu

Quote from: koala on August 10, 2016, 09:49:53 PM
Ola from Rio, glad to see some of you supporting Ryan at his first Olympics.   The game was amazing and so was the atmosphere.   Couldn't be more prouder of Ryan and the team.   Glad we gave the US a run for their money but a bit disappointed to hear them saying we are dirty, that's coming from some over paid, arrogant, sooks that expected to wipe the floor with us and have us lie down well that's not the Aussie way.   Ryan's shot will fall what I am excited about is the way he is playing D and all the other little things that he does so well.   This is his first Olympics and he has not looked out of place on the world stage.   Hope we get another crack at the US, the result may be different next time, we shall wait and see?  Go Rowdy, Go Boomers  :thumbsup:

Nbc feed in the us didn't show any us player or commentator remarks that boomers were playing dirty. Us players only grave props that boomers played hard and physical and that us needed that type of game. I thought Rowdie definitely played well and belonged on that level. Wish he had hit a couple of 3s to solidify that he can play at that level. Wanted to slap nbc announcer who mispronounced both Rowdie's name and VALPARiSO. What a dork! 

M

And very quickly admitted to being in the wrong, what else would you like?

usc4valpo

NBC's coverage of the Olympics sucks big time. I like Oto Bolden for track and field, but the others are terrible. Al Trautwig needs punishment.

NBC = nothing but commercials

M

I've really enjoyed this Rio app. Some of the events don't have announcers at all, for example the beach volleyball match I caught late last night.

Kyle321n

After watching the Serbia and France games I've been focused on the Group B standings, as Australia should finish 2nd in the group. Nigeria doesn't seem to be much of a threat of making it through. Brazil-Croatia will be a big one for who could be 3rd in the group, and that's who the Boomers will be facing in the first round of the knockout stage. Both of those teams have wins coming up against Nigeria and a game against Lithuania. Lithuania also has a chance for falling into third, if they lose to both Brazil and Croatia. Group B has a much more compelling battle for positioning.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

covufan

Quote from: koala on August 10, 2016, 09:49:53 PM
Ola from Rio, glad to see some of you supporting Ryan at his first Olympics.   The game was amazing and so was the atmosphere.   Couldn't be more prouder of Ryan and the team.   Glad we gave the US a run for their money but a bit disappointed to hear them saying we are dirty, that's coming from some over paid, arrogant, sooks that expected to wipe the floor with us and have us lie down well that's not the Aussie way.   Ryan's shot will fall what I am excited about is the way he is playing D and all the other little things that he does so well.   This is his first Olympics and he has not looked out of place on the world stage.   Hope we get another crack at the US, the result may be different next time, we shall wait and see?  Go Rowdy, Go Boomers  :thumbsup:
Great to hear from you!  Wish Rowdy and the Boomers good luck the rest of the way!

VUSWIM08-12

Quote from: usc4valpo on August 11, 2016, 07:29:52 AMNBC's coverage of the Olympics sucks big time. I like Oto Bolden for track and field, but the others are terrible. Al Trautwig needs punishment. NBC = nothing but commercials

This is why you live 2 hrs from Montreal and listen to Canadian Coverage haha....I actually learned some things...but they obviously don't show a whole lot of American athletes, but for swimming which is the sport I coach, I liked the maple coverage better...BBC also does a decent job

usc4valpo

It would be awesome to have Don Cherry do some Olympic commentary on Rugby!!

a3uge

With Delly and Broekhoff, and my dislike of Carmelo Anthony, I found myself cheering pretty adamantly for Australia. Broekhoff hasn't been shooting well the past two games, but played good defense and rebounded well. He looks much better than Bairstow (not surprisingly) and was more worthwhile than Inglis last game (whom played some abysmal defense).

Also, mispronouncing player names on this scale is abysmal and shameful. I expect that out of Indiana State announcers, not guys that cover the NBA and the Olympics.

valpospartan

usc4valpo

no, no suprise, we are talking about NBC coverage, which caters to the most common denominator of intelligence. Their coverage has been pathetic. Ryan Seacrest ding sports - I guess now we will see Taylor Hicks announcing the Kayak race.