• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Ryan Broekhoff and Australia Olympic Basketball

Started by vu84v2, August 06, 2016, 02:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu84v2

Easy win for Australia over China. Australia subbed liberally and sat Bogut. Ryan had 12 points and hit a few threes. While most of his points were after Australia was up 20, it is good to see him get somewhat on track with his shot. Regardless, the effort and hustle is always there.

I would echo the comment that someone previously made on this thread. On the last play of the first half (with Australia up 5), the US ran a play to isolate Durant on Ryan. Ryan's defense was outstanding and he forced Durant into a bad shot that he missed badly. As a Valpo fan....that was really cool!

For those of you who have not seen Australia yet, their style of play is like a great college team with great guards. Their ratios of Assists to Field Goals and Assists to Turnovers are incredible, and this is because their ball movement and movement off the ball is amazing. If the NBA played this style, I would actually watch.

bbtds

Maybe someone should let those guys at St Mary's know that they don't have the whole Aussie team as former players. Broekhoff graduated too.

https://twitter.com/saintmaryshoops

VULB#62

US then only beat Serbia by 3.  Can't help but think that Serbia got some strength from watching the Boomers go at Team USA.

wh

Quote from: nkvu on August 10, 2016, 10:28:00 PM
Quote from: koala on August 10, 2016, 09:49:53 PM
Ola from Rio, glad to see some of you supporting Ryan at his first Olympics.   The game was amazing and so was the atmosphere.   Couldn't be more prouder of Ryan and the team.   Glad we gave the US a run for their money but a bit disappointed to hear them saying we are dirty, that's coming from some over paid, arrogant, sooks that expected to wipe the floor with us and have us lie down well that's not the Aussie way.   Ryan's shot will fall what I am excited about is the way he is playing D and all the other little things that he does so well.   This is his first Olympics and he has not looked out of place on the world stage.   Hope we get another crack at the US, the result may be different next time, we shall wait and see?  Go Rowdy, Go Boomers  :thumbsup:

Nbc feed in the us didn't show any us player or commentator remarks that boomers were playing dirty. Us players only grave props that boomers played hard and physical and that us needed that type of game. I thought Rowdie definitely played well and belonged on that level. Wish he had hit a couple of 3s to solidify that he can play at that level. Wanted to slap nbc announcer who mispronounced both Rowdie's name and VALPARiSO. What a dork! 

Koala stated accurately that there were comments made that Australia was a dirty team:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/olympics-2016/team-america-coach-says-boomers-can-win-gold-as-aussies-fend-off-dirty-play-accusations/news-story/82b659c0c13cf1638a98b068ffb162dd

Does this actually surprise anyone that we would have some number of complainers and excuse makers on our entitled NBA all-star roster? This is not your dad's Dream Team - on or off the court.

Of course, this doesn't hold a candle to Hope Solo calling the Swedish women's soccer team "a bunch of cowards" because she was offended by the game plan they used in defeating her entitled team. Unbelievable.

By the way, our ultimate act of national embarrassment is yet to come, when the women's basketball team pulls some self-aggrandizing "black lives matter" stunt on the medal stand.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on August 13, 2016, 11:42:00 AMBy the way, our ultimate act of national embarrassment is yet to come, when the women's basketball team pulls some self-aggrandizing "black lives matter" stunt on the medal stand.

Where did you read/see this was going to happen?

wh

Quote from: bbtds on August 13, 2016, 06:18:52 PM
Quote from: wh on August 13, 2016, 11:42:00 AMBy the way, our ultimate act of national embarrassment is yet to come, when the women's basketball team pulls some self-aggrandizing "black lives matter" stunt on the medal stand.

Where did you read/see this was going to happen?

http://www.takepart.com/article/2016/08/05/brazil-black-lives-matter-prepares-olympics-protest-platform

Any other questions?

M

Well you tricked me into reading it. It doesn't say anything is going to happen for sure and the only mention of the women's players is a few teams wearing shirts during pre game during the wnba season?!

Back on topic: I'm pretty excited for the elimination rounds! Seems the US/Australia side is pretty stacked.

wh

Quote from: M on August 13, 2016, 08:07:43 PM
Well you tricked me into reading it. It doesn't say anything is going to happen for sure and the only mention of the women's players is a few teams wearing shirts during pre game during the wnba season?!

Back on topic: I'm pretty excited for the elimination rounds! Seems the US/Australia side is pretty stacked.

Not trying to trick anyone. It's the easiest conclusion I've ever drawn. I'd love hear from someone brave enough to predict they won't.

Valpower

Quote from: wh on August 13, 2016, 08:38:01 PM
Not trying to trick anyone. It's the easiest conclusion I've ever drawn. I'd love hear from someone brave enough to predict they won't.
As you've phrased it, the prediction would require two guesses: whether they would make a public expression and whether it would be an embarrassment. The latter is very subjective, of course. There were plenty of people who didn't find the Nazi salute embarrassing in the 1936 Olympics so I'm sure there will be a divergence of opinion on whether this would be a disgrace or not. Brazil certainly has its own problems with systemic racism, so maybe it'll be embarrassing to them.

wh

Quote from: Valpower on August 13, 2016, 09:18:10 PM
As you've phrased it, the prediction would require two guesses: whether they would make a public expression and whether it would be an embarrassment. The latter is very subjective, of course. There were plenty of people who didn't find the Nazi salute embarrassing in the 1936 Olympics so I'm sure there will be a divergence of opinion on whether this would be a disgrace or not. Brazil certainly has its own problems with systemic racism, so maybe it'll be embarrassing to them.

The Olympic Games are marketed as the one moment in time when nations of the world come together in peace and harmony, rising above differences and divisions, trials and tribulations.  This is neither the time nor place for a special interest group from the United States of America to air its dirty laundry. I know black lives matter activists will find this hard to believe, but there are entire populations of people across the globe that would trade places with them in a heartbeat. I've traveled extensively in South America over the years.  Trust me, you haven't seen poverty until you have seen the slums of Caracas, or Bogota, or Guayaquil. Who's going to stand up on a medal stand for them?  Who's going to stand up for the victims of Christian genocide in the Middle East, or for the people of Israel who sleep next to gas masks every night, or for women and gays who live a lifetime of persecution under a Satanic geo-political system called Sharia? Or for Africans suffering from starvation and an AIDS epidemic?  Or for S. Koreans who live in constant fear that the the leader to their north is going to nuke them?  Did I mention the people living in ISIS controlled territory that are raped, sold into slavery, shot in the head, drowned in cages, decapitated and crucified?  Who's going to wear a Syrian and Iraqi Lives Matter T-shirt for them?

oklahomamick

Quote from: wh on August 13, 2016, 11:28:06 PM
Quote from: wh on August 13, 2016, 08:38:01 PMNot trying to trick anyone. It's the easiest conclusion I've ever drawn. I'd love hear from someone brave enough to predict they won't.
The Olympic Games are marketed as the one moment in time when nations of the world come together in peace and harmony, rising above differences and divisions, trials and tribulations.  This is neither the time nor place for a special interest group from the United States of America to air its dirty laundry. I know black lives matter activists will find this hard to believe, but there are entire populations of people across the globe that would trade places with them in a heartbeat. I've traveled extensively in South America over the years.  Trust me, you haven't seen poverty until you have seen the slums of Caracas, or Bogota, or Guayaquil. Who's going to stand up on a medal stand for them?  Who's going to stand up for the victims of Christian genocide in the Middle East, or for the people of Israel who sleep next to gas masks every night, or for women and gays who live a lifetime of persecution under a Satanic geo-political system called Sharia? Or for Africans suffering from starvation and an AIDS epidemic?  Or for S. Koreans who live in constant fear that the the leader to their north is going to nuke them?  Did I mention the people living in ISIS controlled territory that are raped, sold into slavery, shot in the head, drowned in cages, decapitated and crucified?  Who's going to wear a Syrian and Iraqi Lives Matter T-shirt for them?

well said.
CRUSADERS!!!

Valpower

Wh, if you're responding to me, you've gone on quite a tangent. My statement was simple; not everyone would be embarrassed. Now, if you don't mind, the Valparaiso Fan Zone is marketed as a place where fans of Valpo come together in peace and harmony and this is not place for someone to vent about their distaste for a BLM protest, and given that it hasn't even happened, it's certainly not the time. Thanks.

vusupporter

Especially in a Ryan Broekhoff thread...it's like Rick is back around here, with how many threads are getting derailed these days...

wh

Quote from: Valpower on August 14, 2016, 10:40:03 AM

Wh, if you're responding to me, you've gone on quite a tangent. My statement was simple; not everyone would be embarrassed. Now, if you don't mind, the Valparaiso Fan Zone is marketed as a place where fans of Valpo come together in peace and harmony and this is not place for someone to vent about their distaste for a BLM protest, and given that it hasn't even happened, it's certainly not the time. Thanks.

You know what makes me uncomfortable - condescending, dismissive micro lectures, like the one you just gave me. "If you don't mind", I'll decide for myself what is appropriate for me to post, when I want to post it, and how I want to phrase it.

Now, everything I said about impending black lives matter activism at the Olympics is germane to the discussion at hand about spoiled, entitled American athletes acting out inappropriately, starting with the men's basketball team and including the women's soccer team. It's nothing more than the types of discussions Mike and Mike and other sports analysts have every day of the week.

Lastly, let's see if you're as good at receiving snarky advice as you are giving it. If my opinions make you uncomfortable, take a deep breath and try to do your best to deal with it short of another 2-year, self-imposed exile from the board. It's not that big of a deal.

a3uge

Sitting back wondering how this will turn into a discussion about facilities.

swiftmutiny

Quote from: wh on August 14, 2016, 11:50:46 AM

Now, everything I said about impending black lives matter activism at the Olympics is germane to the discussion at hand about spoiled, entitled American athletes acting out inappropriately, starting with the men's basketball team and including the women's soccer team. It's nothing more than the types of discussions Mike and Mike and other sports analysts have every day of the week.

I mostly agree with you on what you've been saying. However, I don't understand why the topic has to be constantly steered into a politically charged realm that is only tangentially related to the subject at hand. When I enter a thread titled "Ryan Broekhoff and Australian Olympic Basketball," I don't want to see a bunch of posts about Black Lives Matter. What I want to see is posts about Ryan Broekhoff and Australian Olympic Basketball. And I think most users here would agree with me. This isn't a radio show that flows from one topic to the next, it's a message board divided up into a variety of categories so that users can easily view and organize the topics they wish to participate in. If you want to talk about what the women's basketball team will do on the podium, or political messages in sports, or the entitlement culture in professional American athletes, go make a new thread about it so the topic can be more deeply explored in the correct space.

Back on topic, Broekhoff and the Boomers play Venezuela tonight at 5:00pm Central, 6:00pm Eastern. Here is the link to the live stream if anyone is interested: http://stream.nbcolympics.com/mens-basketball-prelims-game-26

Edit: Typo.

justducky

Last I checked Ryan is neither an entitled or arrogant NBA sook (whats a sook and how many sooks does it take to change a light bulb?). His ties to BLM also seem to be a bit thin.

Quote from: wh on August 14, 2016, 11:50:46 AMYou know what makes me uncomfortable - condescending, dismissive micro lectures, like the one you just gave me. "If you don't mind", I'll decide for myself what is appropriate for me to post, when I want to post it, and how I want to phrase it.
Deep breath! You won the initial exchange and should have let his rebuttal stand without comment. You couldn't. This is an unfortunate display of the same weakness that is helping kill Donald Trump.  :o

Quote from: a3uge on August 14, 2016, 11:54:10 AMSitting back wondering how this will turn into a discussion about facilities.
Let me attempt to tie this all back together. The facilities here were trash when Ryan arrived, they were trash when he graduated, and they are still trash. I blame this all on BLM and invite everybody to challenge my logic.  :crazy:

koala

Hello, can we please get back onto Rowdy, the Boomers and the Olympics please  ;D

wh

Quote from: swiftmutiny on August 14, 2016, 12:31:28 PM
Quote from: wh on August 14, 2016, 11:50:46 AM

I mostly agree with you on what you've been saying. However, I don't understand why the topic has to be constantly steered into a politically charged realm that is only tangentially related to the subject at hand. When I enter a thread titled "Ryan Broekhoff and Australian Olympic Basketball," I don't want to see a bunch of posts about Black Lives Matter. What I want to see is posts about Ryan Broekhoff and Australian Olympic Basketball. And I think most users here would agree with me. This isn't a radio show that flows from one topic to the next, it's a message board divided up into a variety of categories so that users can easily view and organize the topics they wish to participate in. If you want to talk about what the women's basketball team will do on the podium, or political messages in sports, or the entitlement culture in professional American athletes, go make a new thread about it so the topic can be more deeply explored in the correct space.

Back on topic, Broekhoff and the Boomers play Venezuela tonight at 5:00pm Central, 6:00pm Eastern. Here is the link to the live stream if anyone is interested: http://stream.nbcolympics.com/mens-basketball-prelims-game-26

Edit: Typo.

Good thoughts and stated respectfully.  It's true that unlike professional sports analysts, we do have have a way to separate pure sports talk from the current trend of injecting political ideology into sports. I'll try to be more mindful of that. Thanks for your constructive comments.

sliman

Thanks for the reminder Koala.  You and Rowdy need to know that most of us are a lot more interested in watching and supporting him than in political discussions.  Wishing him the best.

justducky

I missed portions of the game but it looks like 10 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assist, and 0 turnovers in 25 minutes of play. I spotted some good defensive decisions as well. Nice days work.  :thumbsup:

Oh by the way, we are talking about that Broekhoff fella again.

M

Broekhoff with the starting assignment tonight! Good stat line, saw him make some nice passes in the first quarter, and as always very good defensively!

Keep up the great work!! Team USA is begging to get beat.

swiftmutiny

valpo84

And during the Australia vs Venezuela game, it was also great seeing Koala on the telly multiple times!!
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

justducky

Halftime Australia 48- Lithuania 30. The streaming link previously provided will get you there. Only caught the last few minutes but Ryan did hit a contested 3 from the corner.