• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2016-17 Preseason Power Rankings: The Horizon League

Started by oklahomamick, September 18, 2016, 09:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motowntitan

More importantly, will a Horizon League team win an NCAA tourney game?  >:(

wh

It's all about seeding. When was the last time a HL team other than Butler earned a 12 seed or better?  This is our 10th year in the league. I don't recall anyone in that timeframe. If anyone knows how long it's been, please chime in.

a3uge

If Butler wasn't in the league, another team would have been sent to the tournament instead, and have been given the opportunity to win a game. It's silly to disparage teams for not winning a tournament game while Butler was the tournament representative.

FieldGoodie05

It's also about match ups.  Our weaknesses, their weaknesses.  I don't think that can be understated.  Seeds certainly play a part, but it's safe to say mean nothing by themselves.

hailcrusaders

I think given that it's September it's waaayyyy too early to make any predictions about next March.

I remember the '10-'11 season there was a three-way tie atop the HL standings (Butler, UWM, and CSU all went 13-5), with Butler winning the tournament in Milwaukee before their second run to the NCAA title game. Is it conceivable that Cleveland State or Milwaukee could have one a game or two in the Dance had they won the HL tournament instead? I certainly think so.
#CrusadersForever

Commissioner

wh

Quote from: Commissioner on September 23, 2016, 03:37:43 PM
I have a little table collecting the various preseason predictions here http://udtitanbasketball.freeforums.net/post/6350/thread

It looks like the greatest spread among polls goes to Wright State. 3 polls have them finishing in the top half (4th, 4th and 5th), while the other has them finishing dead last.