• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Vashil Fernandez Signs with the Miami Heat

Started by valporun, October 17, 2016, 12:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

First saw this posted on Twitter, but instead of going with it, I checked the team website itself...Vashil Fernandez has signed to play for the Miami Heat.

http://www.nba.com/heat/news/heat-signs-vashil-fernandez

Now I have a reason to watch the NBA a little more closely. I now have a local guy in Fred Van Vleet playing for Toronto, and now Vashil in Miami. Congrats to Vashil for signing, and here's to a great, long NBA career!!

talksalot

Tuesday night... at home against the Orlando Magic, 6:30pm Central time.

wh

Absolutely thrilled for Vashil.  Incredible athleticism, a body made for the NBA, and amazing upside potential.  Smart move by Miami to land him now while he's still learning the game.     

valpotx

Hopefully he further develops in the D-League, and cracks an NBA roster in the near future!  Ron Howard got so close a few times, while Berdiel had some dalliances in the D-League. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

M

This is a guy who could hardly jump, rebound and land upright when he arrived at Valpo....

Here is a guy who has done it the right way. Congratulations, Vashil!

vu72

Of course it is great news that Vashil will have the chance to continue his career.  However, I'm wondering if there isn't more to the story, like someone in the Heat organization telling Vashil the path to the NBA won't take long.

I'm reading that D-League players make between 13-25,000 plus small daily expenses.  Why would Vashil take that when he undoubtedly could earn more in a number of foreign leagues and till have NBA scouts all over him?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

zvillehaze

Quote from: vu72 on October 17, 2016, 08:44:49 PM
Of course it is great news that Vashil will have the chance to continue his career.  However, I'm wondering if there isn't more to the story, like someone in the Heat organization telling Vashil the path to the NBA won't take long.

I'm reading that D-League players make between 13-25,000 plus small daily expenses.  Why would Vashil take that when he undoubtedly could earn more in a number of foreign leagues and till have NBA scouts all over him?

First of all, congrats to Vashil for getting this opportunity.  Nice to see guys who put in hard work get rewarded.

To answer your question, the benefit of playing in the NBDL is that these players are immediately available for call-up to the NBA if the need arises.  Guys in foreign leagues are under contracts that don't allow that.  There's definitely a risk/reward for guys who take less money to stay stateside in the hopes of a getting the the NBA quickly.  I would hope his agent or other advisers will help him make the best decision.

M

Going to wear the 14 for the Heat! Looks like my first basketball jersey purchase ever is not going to be one of the two I was thinking it would be!

wh

'72 and zville - I think you guys are drastically understating what just happened here. Vashil signed a training camp contract with the Heat, not a D-league contract with the Heat's D-league affiliate. If he makes the final roster (probably not), he'll make the league minimum of 500k+. If he gets "assigned" to the D-league by the parent team, he'll get up to 100k between his D-league salaryand what the Heat continue to pay him. He'll also get housing and life and health insurance.

Everything you wanted to know about how this little game works:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.ridiculousupside.com/platform/amp/2015/9/14/9321859/why-the-nba-training-camp-contracts-arent-a-loophole-for-d-league?client=safari

The bottom line is this is a MUCH bigger deal and far more lucrative gig than Ron Howard signing a standard D-league contract with the Ants. Another article I read stated that a third of last year's NBA players have been "assigned" at one time or another.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on October 17, 2016, 02:57:56 PM
Tuesday night... at home against the Orlando Magic, 6:30pm Central time.

Apparently airs on Fox Sports Sun. So, maybe if you get all the regional sports networks...

The radio affiliate has a live stream at
http://player.listenlive.co/28441
http://www.theticketmiami.com/

I don't know if it works during games.

agibson

Vashil follower count: 958 on Twitter. Maybe only 63 or new, so far, since the Heat announcement.

Oh, wait... protected account. Was it always protected? I don't remember. But still has the 60 or so new-looking Miami followers.

1754 followers over on instagram. Maybe that account's _not_ protected? But I don't have an account, don't hang out there much.

agibson

Daughter Maia turns two today
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLtEGSbDXqO/

New job for dad - not a bad birthday present! OK, maybe not _all_ that exciting for her, in the moment.

agibson

The Heat win by 30, but don't empty the bench. They played 11 deep, but nobody less than 9 minutes. No appearance for Vashil, but fun to see his name on the roster!

agibson

Quote from: M on October 17, 2016, 07:00:23 PM
This is a guy who could hardly jump, rebound and land upright when he arrived at Valpo....

That "Don't pass him the ball!" feeling lasted into his second year, for sure.

And I'm pretty sure "Are you _sure_ you want to put the ball on the floor?" lasted until graduation.

wh

Former Valparaiso center Vashil Fernandez's persistence nets Heat deal

Michael Osipoff
Post-Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-basketball-valparaiso-heat-vashil-fernandez-st-1019-20161018-story.html

Vashil Fernandez's faith didn't waver.

He continued to work to get faster and stronger, to improve his shot.

The former Valparaiso center was rewarded Monday when he signed a contract with the Miami Heat.

The 6-foot-10 Fernandez could start the season with the Heat or wind up with their NBA Development League affiliate, the Sioux Falls Skyforce. On Monday night, the 24-year-old was appreciative and eager, still soaking in the well-earned situation.

"It's fantastic," Fernandez said. "I'm just thankful to God for the opportunity. I was just trusting Him and trusting the process with all I did this summer and before."

Fernandez — Valparaiso's record-holder for blocked shots in a game, season and career — went undrafted. He had a predraft workout with the Portland Trail Blazers. He had another scheduled with the Toronto Raptors, but his flight was delayed in Portland, he said.

Fernandez spent six weeks training at IMG Academy in Florida. He attended a tryout in Las Vegas for overseas teams.

When he wasn't traveling, he was staying ready by working out in Austin, Texas, where he lives with his family. In August, he and wife Bridget welcomed their second daughter.

Fernandez spent two days last month working out for the Heat.

"They had been watching me from behind the scenes, and when I came down here and did all their drills with some other players, they loved me," he said. "They told me they'd get in touch with me in the next few weeks."

They called last week and he arrived Sunday night in Miami. He practiced with the team Monday.

"It went pretty good," Fernandez said. "I didn't know the offense or the defense, so I basically just did the drills. There's a learning curve and I'm making the best of it."

The Heat have 20 players on their roster and teams have to get down to the limit of 15 by next Monday. Fernandez is hoping to become the first Crusaders player to appear on an NBA regular-season roster since Bryce Drew in 2004 with the New Orleans Hornets.

"The next step is to be here for the next week or so to see if I get to stay here or go to Sioux Falls for more development," Fernandez said. "I have to work hard and see what happens. But I'm excited for it."

Fernandez is accustomed to challenges. He grew up in Jamaica with modest means, and didn't start playing basketball until he was 17.

The NCAA did not rule him eligible to play his first season at Valparaiso, but he made dramatic strides throughout his career. He emerged as a game-changing defensive player especially his final two seasons, including the one he initially had lost after successfully appealing to the NCAA.

Fernandez is the Horizon League's only two-time Defensive Player of the Year, and he led the country with 3.31 blocks per game as a senior. He averaged 5.6 points and 7.3 rebounds in his final season with the Crusaders; and 6.9 points, 5.9 rebounds and 2.9 blocks as a junior.

He graduated from Valparaiso with a bachelor's and two master's degrees.

"We are extremely excited for the opportunity that lies ahead for Vashil," Valparaiso coach Matt Lottich said in a news release. "This opportunity couldn't happen to a better guy and a better teammate. I think that Miami saw what we here at Valpo have known for a long time — that Vashil was the best defensive player in the country in college basketball, and that he can bring those defensive skills to the highest tier of basketball and perform at an elite level.

"The attitude he brings with him to work each and every day adds value to the team as well. We expect nothing but great things for Vashil and wish him nothing but the best, and are excited to be big Miami Heat fans now."

talksalot

Find the 8:52 Mark in the 4th quarter of tonight's heat game!  Offensive rebound and put back for #14!  Great to see Vashil in the box score.  9 minutes one basket, one shot, one rebound, one foul.

vu84v2

All the best to Vashil. It is great when opportunities and good things happen to really good people.

FWalum

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on October 21, 2016, 09:48:37 AM
Would it have been better for him if it was a blocked shot???

Yes, unfortunately it may be harder for Vashil to block shots by NBA players. He didn't have a blocked shot in the Charlotte game.

Quote from: talksalot on October 20, 2016, 09:33:05 PM9 minutes one basket, one shot, one rebound, one foul.

talksalot

http://www.nba.com/heat/stats

it is fun to see the name in the overall stats.  One more pre-season game tonight (Friday) at home against the 76ers. 

Need a picture?    Here's the link to the Heat montage for the game last night... Vashil is in the last (#11) in the bundle   Perhaps if someone can capture that for this thread.

http://www.nba.com/heat/hpg1617-cha-161020