• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Some Faculty Members are trying to get rid of the Crusader & Change the Mascot..

Started by VU2014, March 28, 2017, 12:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favor of changing the Valparaiso University Mascot?

No
Yes
I have no opinion either way

NativeCheesehead

Valpower

Quote from: wh on April 05, 2017, 12:43:15 PM
People can spin history any way they want, but the truth is that the Crusaders saved Christianity from extinction and a world dominated by a single religion - Islam. If not for the Crusaders, every person on earth today would be subject to the authority of Sharia Law, a set of archaic, bigoted, fundamentally evil rules that still dominate Islamic societies today.
Not a chance.

humbleopinion

Quote from: wh on April 05, 2017, 12:43:15 PMIf not for the Crusaders, every person on earth today would be subject to the authority of Sharia Law, a set of archaic, bigoted, fundamentally evil rules

Just like Deuteronomy is our law.

You need to get out more. 
Beamin' Beacons

wh

For those who get easily distracted by pedantry, let me be more succinct. Most of the Crusader-bashing comments in this thread completely misrepresent the indispensable contributions the Crusaders made to the preservation of Christianity in a dark period in world history.  Rest assured that your university forefathers who attached Crusaders to Valparaiso University intended the name to be honored and respected. But if today's crop of VU administrators, students, instructors and alumni are ashamed of the name or are afraid it will hurt their Middle East Islamic cash cow, do the world a favor - drop the name and move on.  You have disqualified yourself to be associated with these men of great honor - the Crusaders.     

Chairback

crusadermoe

Well said, WH.   You have drawn the line where it belongs. We choose our path.

jloose128

Why is this suddenly an issue? This name was chosen many years ago, and it's not like the crusades happened recently.

That being said I agree with Chairback, let's all get back to basketball.

justducky

First, I see no need and have no desire for a mascot change. It is both unnecessary and possibly counterproductive.      BUT

Quote from: wh on April 05, 2017, 12:43:15 PMthe truth is that the Crusaders saved Christianity from extinction and a world dominated by a single religion - Islam. If not for the Crusaders, every person on earth today would be subject to the authority of Sharia Law, a set of archaic, bigoted, fundamentally evil rules that still dominate Islamic societies today.
This is your speculation based on your opinions. You must not argue it as fact. Who knows what twists and turns might have arisen in the absence of the crusades. Maybe an unchecked Islamic advance would have resulted in its quick decline?
Nothing unites a movement like opposition to that movement.

I mean this is a real can of worms. Even you would not argue that medieval Christianity wasn't at times both barbaric and greed driven.

Enough. I suggest we sacrifice 5 vicunas to the gods then cook up a couple alpacas for the peacemaking feast. Long live the Crusader mascot!

VULB#62

Chairback is right.  Topics and opinions must be respected and this should not just be made to go away, but too bad we can't just take the whole topic string and move it out of basketball to "General VU Discussion" where it really belongs.  This is much more than BB, it has much more widespread ramifications, .........or maybe none?

valpo04

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 06, 2017, 08:52:33 AM
Chairback is right.  Topics and opinions must be respected and this should not just be made to go away, but too bad we can't just take the whole topic string and move it out of basketball to "General VU Discussion" where it really belongs.  This is much more than BB, it has much more widespread ramifications, .........or maybe none?

Fair enough. I tend to get a bit more lax with what is discussed where after the basketball season ends but you both are right.

Carry on...

VULB#62

bbtds

On a tweet about Crusader mascot tryouts I saw this tweet

Batcow‏ @VUBatcow  Apr 17
More
Replying to @valpoathletics
I would like to motion to get rid of the crusader and make me the official mascot. I'll make you all proud. #VUBatcows

If people would embrace it. It might work.

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on April 19, 2017, 12:23:17 PM
On a tweet about Crusader mascot tryouts I saw this tweet

Batcow‏ @VUBatcow  Apr 17
More
Replying to @valpoathletics
I would like to motion to get rid of the crusader and make me the official mascot. I'll make you all proud. #VUBatcows

If people would embrace it. It might work.

https://twitter.com/VUBatcow/status/853993859579346946

historyman

I could get on the "return to Uhlan" bandwagon. The Vicuna I'm not so keen about.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Just an update on the nick-name, mascot thing. 

I just saw another reference about Crusader in reference to The College of the Holy Cross in Worchester, MA.  The HC Crusaders are a member of the Patriot League and a school with a long and rich athletic history.  The college is in the process of reviewing the name of the college newspaper -- "The Crusader."  But there is a twist.  It's just the newspaper name that is being reviewed, not the mascot.  The reason?  There is a KKK publication out of Arkansas of the same name and faculty don't want their publication confused with the KKK's.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/10/the-crusader-holy-cross-newspaper-distance-kkk/

valpopal

Update on Holy Cross:

The College of the Holy Cross is mulling whether to shed its century-old sports symbol the "Crusader" out of concerns the image of a Christian warrior might be offensive to Muslims.

The future of the purple mascot "Iggy the Crusader" and " 'Sader Nation" identity is riding on the Board of Trustees' decision, currently slated to be announced Feb. 3 in the midst of the Worcester school's $400 million fundraising campaign.

The Worcester college closed an eight-week comment period yesterday after receiving "hundreds" of remarks, a statement said.

Holy Cross also held two live discussions this fall about whether the image of a knight with sword and shield associated with the brutal 11th-century wars between Christians and Muslims is an appropriate symbol in 2017....

...Class of 1956 alum Tommy Heinsohn, an NBA Hall of Famer and former Celtics coach and player, said a "significant number" of graduates are not happy.

"It's political correctness run amok," Heinsohn said yesterday. "There'll be a hue and cry if they go through with this. The necessity of this thing is beyond the pale. Get a life."

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2017/11/holy_cross_may_shed_crusader_moniker?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

vu72

The next victim could be the Victory Bell.  A deliberate act intending to make the opposing team out to be losers, leaving them with a feeling of inadequacy, dejection and scorn.  Needs to go!   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on November 28, 2017, 10:36:21 AM
The next victim could be the Victory Bell.  A deliberate act intending to make the opposing team out to be losers, leaving them with a feeling of inadequacy, dejection and scorn.  Needs to go!   ;)
For a moment there, this looked like a jj/setshot post!

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on November 28, 2017, 10:36:21 AMThe next victim could be the Victory Bell.  A deliberate act intending to make the opposing team out to be losers, leaving them with a feeling of inadequacy, dejection and scorn.  Needs to go!   
:thumbsup: To placate those we have humiliated it needs to be melted down then cast into peace tokens to be distributed to every institution it has victimized. Oh! I feel so ashamed for our past behavior.  :'(

hailcrusaders

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_coverage/2018/02/holy_cross_will_keep_the_name_crusaders_after_concerns_that_it_was

Holy Cross to keep Crusader nickname.

I would think this is good news for VU and proponents of our Crusader nickname.
#CrusadersForever

agibson

But the editors of the student newspaper announced they were changing the name of the paper from The Crusader to The Spire.

VULB#62

Quote from: agibson on February 05, 2018, 07:34:53 PM
But the editors of the student newspaper announced they were changing the name of the paper from The Crusader to The Spire.

I thought it was the Torch. Or are you pulling our chain?

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 09, 2018, 05:24:39 PM

I think he was referring to the Holy Cross student newspaper.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on February 09, 2018, 06:07:40 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on February 09, 2018, 05:24:39 PM

I think he was referring to the Holy Cross student newspaper.

Did you feel "scorched" by this, 62?