• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Alec Peters - Senior edition

Started by wh, August 23, 2016, 06:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Just Sayin

bbtds

That surely means that Alec has arrived and is now a seriously famous person.

ValpoDad89

I know the NBA looks for something more, but I have never seen a gamer or kid that transcended his abilities like Alec. Plus he has such an NBA release it is sick. He stuck balls with guys in his face, adjusted his release and made buckets happen...why? Because he's that good. He definitely needs to work on his defensive footwork to be NBA caliber but his offensive game is phenomenal. We are lucky to have him because we are going to kill it this year...and next...and next....and next and the years after that. Valpo basketball aint leaving any time soon.

wh

Down memory lane with Alec and Jubril. One we never talked much about (for obvious reasons).

https://www.vine.co/v/iXE2g3YbjJr

FWalum

Can not believe that we didn't kick some ass after that emotional comeback.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

a3uge

Quote from: FWalum on August 31, 2016, 06:57:36 AM
Can not believe that we didn't kick some ass after that emotional comeback.
Turns out playing the entire year without a backup point guard was a bad idea.

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on August 31, 2016, 10:05:49 PMTurns out playing the entire year without a backup point guard was a bad idea.
I agree but we need to remember the in the moment thinking that led to this mistake. First we were always in the at-large picture and trying very hard to avoid unnecessary upset. Second we held on to the hope that the right wrist and back problems that followed EVN might disappear and allow him to return to acceptable point guard form. We lost on both these gambles which left neither Shane, Max or Lexus adequately prepared for the challenge.

wh

valpospartan

M

wh

NBA Counterparts for College Basketball's Top Power Forwards

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2662493-nba-counterparts-for-college-basketballs-top-power-forwards/page/9

Alec Peters, Valparaiso

Compares to: Kelly Olynyk, Boston Celtics

Arguably the top mid-major player in college basketball in 2015-16 and one who surprisingly opted to stay in college rather than turn pro after his junior season, Alec Peters is exactly the kind of power forward the NBA is looking for. The fact the NBA will have to wait for him another year was partly its doing, he's said.

"Be a guy at a mid-major school next year that's dominating at my level" is what Peters was told by scouts, according to College Basketball Talk's Rob Dauster.

He's done this already, but it never hurts to have another year of doing so. The 6'9" forward was nearly unstoppable last season regardless of what he was doing, averaging 18.4 points and 8.4 rebounds per game while shooting 50.5 percent overall and 44 percent from three-point range.

His ability to stretch the floor with perimeter shooting but not be a liability on the interior is what will get him a shot at a long pro career. Peters is already ahead of what Kelly Olynyk did while at Gonzaga, where he was primarily a post player. But since turning pro, he's developed an outside shot that's added to his value.

VULB#62

justducky

Quote from: bsmith21 on September 20, 2016, 01:41:15 PM
I likeep some of the preseason press Peters and valpo are getting but am reminded that a lot of these same things were being said last year and we didn't even make the tournament.We were a lot of people's early pick to bust some brackets. But I guess all things being equal it's better to be talked about than not.
Is Alec a key to a successful season? Sure, but our other 9 scholarship players will also need to contribute at near their full potential. We have so very little room for either injury or underperformance!

I have always enjoyed the underdog role so if we are clicking in March this year could be a lot of fun. I am fully prepared for some big disappointments along the way!

vu72

Quote from: justducky on September 20, 2016, 04:03:57 PM
Quote from: bsmith21 on September 20, 2016, 01:41:15 PM
I likeep some of the preseason press Peters and valpo are getting but am reminded that a lot of these same things were being said last year and we didn't even make the tournament.We were a lot of people's early pick to bust some brackets. But I guess all things being equal it's better to be talked about than not.
Is Alec a key to a successful season? Sure, but our other 9 scholarship players will also need to contribute at near their full potential. We have so very little room for either injury or underperformance!

I have always enjoyed the underdog role so if we are clicking in March this year could be a lot of fun. I am fully prepared for some big disappointments along the way!

We will have plenty of experience in the main group as I'm expecting to start a R-Jr, a Jr., and three Srs.  It is the backups where challenges may occur as I pencil in 3 fr. a Jr. and a Sr. in the next group.  If we end up with Fr.or two in the starting group then we will be much deeper (more talented).
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Thanks WH. He's in good company.  There is only one other mid-major --  Nigel Williams-Goss from Gonzaga by way of Washington. And here is what they wrote in the article for Alec.

Alec Peters, Valparaiso: Peters is the best player at the mid-major level in the country, a kid that graduated from school in three years and had the chance to leave for literally any other program in the country. He didn't. He opted to stay at Valpo, where he'll be the centerpiece of new head coach Matt Lottich's offense. It's not crazy to think he could average 23 points.

Funny, it would seem that NBCSports does not consider Gonzaga a mid-major otherwise Wiiliams-Goss would have been 3rd team and Alec 2nd team

valporun

Gonzaga plays in a mid-major conference, but their record this century has been above the level of a mid-major.